ADVERTISEMENT

Auburn prediction

Doesn't matter who the opponents were, any team that scores 60+ points a game will be a test for our defense. Auburn has the best running back we will see all year. Their QB is almost a carbon copy of Sean Clifford. He can be very good at times and a turnover machine at other times.

It is the oldest cliche in football, but when two teams of similar talent line up, the outcome will be determined by turnovers. I am 99% sure if we are +2 in to's, we win and if we are -2, we will lose.

Excellent points. I think the home crowd (whiteout) and being + in the turnovers will spell a PSU win. Probably by 6 or 7. I'll say 23-17.

We have a better winning percentage against Alabama than every team in the country except Texas and Notre Dame. If we're their wannabes, WTH does that make the rest of yall?
Hurts to admit you wish you were Bama, huh?

We have a better winning percentage against Alabama than every team in the country except Texas and Notre Dame. If we're their wannabes, WTH does that make the rest of yall?
We only get to play them when they are really good. You got to play them every year between Saban and Bryant.

we even let them off the hook one year when they were struggling and rescheduled the game. Unfortunately, they didn’t return the favor during our darkest of years.

We only get to play them when they are really good. You got to play them every year between Saban and Bryant.

we even let them off the hook one year when they were struggling and rescheduled the game. Unfortunately, they didn’t return the favor during our darkest of years.

Hurts to admit you wish you were Bama, huh?

We’ve played for 2 Nattys while Saban has been there. If that’s a “wannabe”….then I’m cool with that.

Last edited:
Defensive battle, 6-4 final.

9-E690445-D526-4-E41-8367-45-D3-E4478-CC0.gif

Didn't yall play them every year throughout the decade of the 80's?

Early line has PSU favored by 6. I was expecting 10.

I'm curious how it moves this week. I feel like it'll creep down, but I'm no expert on lines. We're the more tested team, we have home field, but evidence says we'll play it close to the vest.

Preseason analysis of Auburn said their offense should be great but defense disappointed last year. The gave up 60% of 3rd down conversions.

Early line has PSU favored by 6. I was expecting 10.
Was never expecting 10. Auburn is a well established program from the SEC. That alone would influence the betting line to some degree.

Auburn is such an unknown, they have talent but ESPN has their strength of schedule as 130. Which is the worst in the sport, even every G5 team has played a more challenging 2 games than Auburn so far. There’s not a P5 team that wouldn’t be 2-0 with blowout wins with that schedule.

Reactions: lazydave841
Was never expecting 10. Auburn is a well established program from the SEC. That alone would influence the betting line to some degree.
Yes but they were ranked 25th. That's where Ball State was ranked at the end of last year. I think the difference between 10 and 20 is usually a TD, then add 3 for home field.

But you're probably right. The people betting money are typical more reliable than the analysts.

Highest ranked non conference team to visit The Beav in 10 years (?).

I am cautiously optimistic

PSU - 28
Auburn -17
I have absolutely no idea how this Falls out. My concerns:
--PSU QB (inconsistency)
--PSU OL (still lack nasty streak - not sure what the problem is)
--PSU DL depth, particularly @ DE

--Auburn scored lits of pts against very weak teams (as they should), making gauging their weaknesses difficult.
--Auburn QB: Jekle & Hyde. Which one shows up for this game?
--Tank Bigsby, do they wear down our DL with heavy doses of him up the gut?
--Auburn secondary is very athletic. Do they stifle our WRs?

Could be both defenses dominate and we see another Wisconsin type game.

NO prediction other than a very close game with winner victorious by less than a touchdown. TOs and FGs determine this one.
Highest ranked non conference team to visit The Beav in 10 years (?).

I am cautiously optimistic

PSU - 28
Auburn -17

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
Honestly don’t think the White Out will matter. It’s a gimmick deal IMO. Auburn plays in the best league. Game is played on the field. I’m more worried about our OL tbh… I see a low scoring game. I see a 3 point game.

Reactions: klive and scrivener
Honestly don’t think the White Out will matter. It’s a gimmick deal IMO. Auburn plays in the best league. Game is played on the field. I’m more worried about our OL tbh… I see a low scoring game. I see a 3 point game.
Home field is typically worth 3 pts. The home crowd helps. So does not having to travel, sleeping in your own bed, familiarity with the field, etc.

Reactions: nits74
I am not ready to make a pick yet, but I think Auburn will come well prepared for the fight. I have to think that they have been practicing for this game since Harsin stepped on the Plains. I mean, I hope they did not waste too much time on Akron and 'Bama State. This is his chance to put a stamp on Auburn Football being what it is expected to be again.
The RB is appropriately named Tank, and he is good. He's hard to bring down. He was SEC Freshman of the year last year. Bo is a mirror of Clifford, but because his daddy was a good college QB, Bo had a little more love in the rankings/hype department coming into Auburn (and not wrongly). They have two good WRs (Robertson and Jackson) but neither has really turned into the go-to guy yet this year (truth is, with the two schools they played, nobody needed to be the go-to guy). My money would be on Robertson. The OL was not really left in great shape when the Gus Bus pulled out of town, but that was mostly due to the inexperience it had. The pieces are there talent wise, just have to put them in the right spot. They certainly got experience last year. The DL may not be up to Auburn's standards historically, but it should be enough to give our OL a handful of trouble if it continues like it did against Wiscy (understandable) and Ball State (less so). The back end of the defense should be fast and aggressive. Yes, new coaches.. but Mason is a well respected defensive mind. Harsin now has talent that he did not have at Boise. So, the Auburn faithful are cAUtiously AUptimistic. In truth, the teams mirror each other a bit- hard working, tough, streaky.

The keys to beating Auburn will be to play from ahead. Historically, the Tigers can really get rolling when momentum shifts. Different staffs and teams, but I have seen them snowball over Bama, UGA, LSU when they should not, just by the other team letting them hang around and get confident. Second, really need the offense to protect the ball, especially Clifford. Third, our OL has to finally start earning its recruiting rankings- especially in the run game. We will have to be able to run the ball (I know CJF says the swing pass is our run game, but you eventually have to line up and pound it successfully on the interior at times). Also cannot let special teams kill us. Auburn has a way of exploiting that if it is a weakness or a weakness to be had.

As far as the White Out having an impact... it will. Not necessarily as much on Auburn (they won't be intimidated) as it will on Penn State. It gives the home team a boost of energy, as is evident in the majority of the games it has been implemented (in some of the losses, we had no business being in the game if not for the WO energy). I do think the noise will be a bit more than the Tigers are use to dealing with. Yes, Tiger fans, I've been to Jordan Hare, Bryant Denny, the Swamp, and Tiger Stadium. I have even been to Sanford Stadium. (Auburn is my adopted southern team). And while JH gets surprisingly loud, the only one comparable is Tiger Stadium in a big game. The problem is, only the JR/SR Tigers have been to Tiger Stadium, the Swamp, or Kyle Field. But, same holds true for Penn State- how will the FR/SO respond to the White Out (can get too amped too).

Regardless, it should be a great game with a lot on the line for both teams. Someone is coming out of this game with more national respect than they went into it with. And both teams can use it as a springboard to get where they want to be (well, until the Iron Bowl, anyway).

I am not ready to make a pick yet, but I think Auburn will come well prepared for the fight. I have to think that they have been practicing for this game since Harsin stepped on the Plains. I mean, I hope they did not waste too much time on Akron and 'Bama State. This is his chance to put a stamp on Auburn Football being what it is expected to be again.
The RB is appropriately named Tank, and he is good. He's hard to bring down. He was SEC Freshman of the year last year. Bo is a mirror of Clifford, but because his daddy was a good college QB, Bo had a little more love in the rankings/hype department coming into Auburn (and not wrongly). They have two good WRs (Robertson and Jackson) but neither has really turned into the go-to guy yet this year (truth is, with the two schools they played, nobody needed to be the go-to guy). My money would be on Robertson. The OL was not really left in great shape when the Gus Bus pulled out of town, but that was mostly due to the inexperience it had. The pieces are there talent wise, just have to put them in the right spot. They certainly got experience last year. The DL may not be up to Auburn's standards historically, but it should be enough to give our OL a handful of trouble if it continues like it did against Wiscy (understandable) and Ball State (less so). The back end of the defense should be fast and aggressive. Yes, new coaches.. but Mason is a well respected defensive mind. Harsin now has talent that he did not have at Boise. So, the Auburn faithful are cAUtiously AUptimistic. In truth, the teams mirror each other a bit- hard working, tough, streaky.

The keys to beating Auburn will be to play from ahead. Historically, the Tigers can really get rolling when momentum shifts. Different staffs and teams, but I have seen them snowball over Bama, UGA, LSU when they should not, just by the other team letting them hang around and get confident. Second, really need the offense to protect the ball, especially Clifford. Third, our OL has to finally start earning its recruiting rankings- especially in the run game. We will have to be able to run the ball (I know CJF says the swing pass is our run game, but you eventually have to line up and pound it successfully on the interior at times). Also cannot let special teams kill us. Auburn has a way of exploiting that if it is a weakness or a weakness to be had.

As far as the White Out having an impact... it will. Not necessarily as much on Auburn (they won't be intimidated) as it will on Penn State. It gives the home team a boost of energy, as is evident in the majority of the games it has been implemented (in some of the losses, we had no business being in the game if not for the WO energy). I do think the noise will be a bit more than the Tigers are use to dealing with. Yes, Tiger fans, I've been to Jordan Hare, Bryant Denny, the Swamp, and Tiger Stadium. I have even been to Sanford Stadium. (Auburn is my adopted southern team). And while JH gets surprisingly loud, the only one comparable is Tiger Stadium in a big game. The problem is, only the JR/SR Tigers have been to Tiger Stadium, the Swamp, or Kyle Field. But, same holds true for Penn State- how will the FR/SO respond to the White Out (can get too amped too).

Regardless, it should be a great game with a lot on the line for both teams. Someone is coming out of this game with more national respect than they went into it with. And both teams can use it as a springboard to get where they want to be (well, until the Iron Bowl, anyway).
Pretty spot on Brochacho. War and Peace…..

The one thing most don't understand about the White Out is that it is reserved for our best home opponent every year. It isn't like a HS Homecoming game where you schedule a patsy to get an easy win.

If we are evenly matched or less talented than you all, it's been known to level the field with penalties and turnovers. And when we have had the talent edge, we've dominated (see Michigan, 2017).

I expect a close game as well.

The truth is that it never did matter, but it's always been difficult for the road team to win a 3:30 PM or later game at PSU, given that PSU has even a half-decent team. The best example of this was the 2002 Nebraska game, which was before anyone thought of it.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT