ADVERTISEMENT

At least 6 Schools to be notified of serious NCAA violations

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008
A high-ranking NCAA official told CBS Sports on Wednesday that at least six Division I men's basketball programs will receive notices of allegations for Level I violations, the most serious infractions under NCAA rules, as a result of the federal government's investigation into corruption in the sport.

Stan Wilcox, the NCAA's vice president of regulatory affairs, told CBS Sports at an athletic directors conference in Orlando, Florida, that two programs might receive notices of allegations by early July and that four more probably will receive them by the end of the summer.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...21/6-schools-notified-serious-ncaa-violations

A high-ranking NCAA official told CBS Sports on Wednesday that at least six Division I men's basketball programs will receive notices of allegations for Level I violations, the most serious infractions under NCAA rules, as a result of the federal government's investigation into corruption in the sport.

Stan Wilcox, the NCAA's vice president of regulatory affairs, told CBS Sports at an athletic directors conference in Orlando, Florida, that two programs might receive notices of allegations by early July and that four more probably will receive them by the end of the summer.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...21/6-schools-notified-serious-ncaa-violations

I am Shocked Shocked.JPG

I’m going to guess Louisville will likely be the sacrificial victim for the NCAA post Pitino.

It will be interesting to see what Arizona does. They were reportedly close to firing Sean Miller when this started but then backed him when he swore he did nothing wrong.

Reactions: Bob78 and bison13
I’m going to guess Louisville will likely be the sacrificial victim for the NCAA post Pitino.

It will be interesting to see what Arizona does. They were reportedly close to firing Sean Miller when this started but then backed him when he swore he did nothing wrong.
Agree, Louisville is probably going to get hit hard, maybe Arizona but they wont touch Kansas, much like with UNC. Too valuable to the NCAA

Reactions: psu00 and BBrown
Agree Kansas will be the true test. This is the NCAA’s last opportunity to prove its relevance. Given the outcome of the trials, that, beyond a reasonable doubt, illlegal payments were made, it should be straight forward. But it won’t be.

Arizona and Louisville are currently down. I could see them being thrown to the wolves. Nobody cares about USC basketball and, given the admissions scandal, everyone expects them to be cheaters. Plus they are repeat offenders. So easy to nail them.

Auburn will be interesting, given their tournament run and the incredible love affair that people have with Bruce Pearl.

The real question is whether the NCAA is willing to take on Nike. It’s easy to target No.2, Adidas. Is anyone crazy enough to think that only they are doing this. Is it reasonable to think that if Williamson was asking for money from Adidas schools that he wasn’t doing the same from Nike schools, such as Duke? Does Nike just hide it better or are they better at paying the right people? Or both?

Reactions: bison13
Pffft. You guys all just assume that theses schools' Prezes won't secretly sign crippling consent degrees without getting any advice or counsel on that. That is the standard for admitting to all kinds of evils, real or imagined, is it not? Because otherwise, why would smart people consent? The NCAA is drafting them badass decrees even as we speak! Sign here, Prez Bubba/Bubbette, or it's the imaginary death penalty for you!

This reminds me why I have to look anywhere but up when going to the Creamery.

Agree Kansas will be the true test. This is the NCAA’s last opportunity to prove its relevance. Given the outcome of the trials, that, beyond a reasonable doubt, illlegal payments were made, it should be straight forward. But it won’t be.

Arizona and Louisville are currently down. I could see them being thrown to the wolves. Nobody cares about USC basketball and, given the admissions scandal, everyone expects them to be cheaters. Plus they are repeat offenders. So easy to nail them.

Auburn will be interesting, given their tournament run and the incredible love affair that people have with Bruce Pearl.

The real question is whether the NCAA is willing to take on Nike. It’s easy to target No.2, Adidas. Is anyone crazy enough to think that only they are doing this. Is it reasonable to think that if Williamson was asking for money from Adidas schools that he wasn’t doing the same from Nike schools, such as Duke? Does Nike just hide it better or are they better at paying the right people? Or both?

Pearl is a quality coach but a cheatin sumbitch

Reactions: Connorpozlee
So (and correct me if I am wrong) the genesis of this fiasco is kids (BB recruits) being bought and sold to the highest bidder, largely through $$$$ that comes from the shoe companies.

With the goal being to get those kids to play for programs who are "owned" by a specific shoe company. "Owned" in that a shoe company (NIke, Adidas, whomever) pays that University (the University Coach?) a shitload of money to have "his kids" wear that company's gear.

Is that - more or less - the gist of it?

If that be a fair summary of the situation:

What exactly would/could/should the NCAA do to remedy that situation?

Red_Ball_Jets.jpg

060802 post: 4179413 said:

Nike? Nike wasn't on the Feds radar and without the Southern District there is nothing here. NCAA couldn't find its asshole to wipe it.

Nike? Nike wasn't on the Feds radar and without the Southern District there is nothing here. NCAA couldn't find its asshole to wipe it.
Go to an event with NCAA admin in their NCAA Polo shirts, notice a NIke swoosh?

with the structure in place, college hoops is doomed as we know it. There is simply no way to enforce things...none. The high school camps have killed any semblance of amateurism in college basketball. As stated by previous posters, the NCAA will kill some lambs but it will just be for show.

I believe Kansas will not be sanctioned even though there are wiretaps. Since they were not used at trial they cannot be used by NCAA.

I believe Kansas will not be sanctioned even though there are wiretaps. Since they were not used at trial they cannot be used by NCAA.

What?? Since when has the NCAA limited itself to only information used in court?? Your post is ridiculous. But I do agree not much will be done to the Jayhawks. They bring eyeballs to the tournament.

So (and correct me if I am wrong) the genesis of this fiasco is kids (BB recruits) being bought and sold to the highest bidder, largely through $$$$ that comes from the shoe companies.

With the goal being to get those kids to play for programs who are "owned" by a specific shoe company. "Owned" in that a shoe company (NIke, Adidas, whomever) pays that University (the University Coach?) a shitload of money to have "his kids" wear that company's gear.

Is that - more or less - the gist of it?

If that be a fair summary of the situation:

What exactly would/could/should the NCAA do to remedy that situation?

the ncaa is supposedly run by the universities. It does not appear that they really care enough to take it on. the UNC case was the litmus test for them.

What?? Since when has the NCAA limited itself to only information used in court?? Your post is ridiculous. But I do agree not much will be done to the Jayhawks. They bring eyeballs to the tournament.
Since that is exactly what they have said on this particular issue. Agree it doesn't make sense.

I think there is an agreement that the FBI will turn over all info they have after the trial

Since that is exactly what they have said on this particular issue. Agree it doesn't make sense.

I was also being very facetious regarding the NCAA not using anything which wasn't presented in court. In the summer of 2012 that never seemed to be an issue.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
Damn it. If Chambers were winning, we could be one of those six. He’s been here eight years, and we have nothing to show for it.

:eek:

Damn it. If Chambers were winning, we could be one of those six. He’s been here eight years, and we have nothing to show for it.

:eek:

It could be worse. We could have had the 8 years of futility AND still been named 1 of the 6. Imagine that meltdown. :eek: ;)

And at least 6 schools aren't concerned in the slightest.

True, although I do think Louisville knows that they are going to be the poster child of this scandal (baring anything new released by the FBI) and that they are going to get punished again. The other 5 likely get off with a ‘stern lecture’ and a warning. ;)

I'm reminded of the SNL skit from the 90s where they had the "All-Steroid Olympics" and the weightlifter pulled his arms off his body. They ought to have "Any Rules Go College Athletics" where you're allowed to give players grades or give them an expensive car to come to your school, etc. Just take away the pretense and let people do whatever they want without it being considered cheating.

This has been reported and the reason they only use documents or court proceedings are because they are PUBLIC RECORD self authorized.. Wire taps not included are not of record and unsubstantiated thus those are quashed as a procedural matter.
Since when does the NCAA limit itself and why? Since they do what they want.

I'm reminded of the SNL skit from the 90s where they had the "All-Steroid Olympics" and the weightlifter pulled his arms off his body. They ought to have "Any Rules Go College Athletics" where you're allowed to give players grades or give them an expensive car to come to your school, etc. Just take away the pretense and let people do whatever they want without it being considered cheating.

I think it should be perfect fine for boosters and shoe companies to pay college athletes as they wish. It’s not like that it’s tax dollars or money that would otherwise be used to pay professors.

They already have that...it’s called the SEC.

What’e the rush?

The only time the NCAA was in a rush to impose sanctions was when they did it to a school/team which committed ZERO rules violations. I think they wanted to get it done before someone in that school's administration grew a brain.

OTOH, student athletes who fall under the purview of the NCAA were criminally victimized at MSU and OSU by university employees. The NCAA said they don't get involved in criminal matters. It'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic and stupid.

Reactions: MaconNitt and Bob78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT