ADVERTISEMENT

Assuming Ga loses to Bama, and OSU beats NW,

demlion

Feb 4, 2004
I believe OSU will get in the playoff over OU, even if OU beats Texas. If so, of course, that is good for PSU, since it improves our chance to get a NY6 bowl.

However, I MUST root for NW to win the B1G championship. I CANNOT root for OSU 2 weeks in a row.

I believe OSU will get in the playoff over OU, even if OU beats Texas. If so, of course, that is good for PSU, since it improves our chance to get a NY6 bowl.

However, I MUST root for NW to win the B1G championship. I CANNOT root for OSU 2 weeks in a row.
Agree but O$U will get killed by Bama and Clemson will whoop on ND, too. Oklahoma will lose to Georgia in the Sugar bowl. Michigan will lose to UW in Rose.

Agree but O$U will get killed by Bama and Clemson will whoop on ND, too. Oklahoma will lose to Georgia in the Sugar bowl. Michigan will lose to UW in Rose.
So you are saying I can safely root for OSU to win the conf championship, since that will guarantee a shameful ass whoopin at the hands of Bama? Interesting. It COULD maximize their pain, couldn't it?

Reactions: 81b&w
I don’t see OSU jumping Oklahoma especially playing a better (Top 10ish) opponent in a rematch on Saturday.

They looked amazing on Saturday, but it's hard to ignore that OSU got blown out by Purdue, almost lost to Maryland, and almost lost to PSU.

And in all honesty, it would be great if PSU went to an NY6 game, but this year's team did nothing to convince me they should be in an NY6 game.

and tOSU's is appreciably better?

Sadly, yes. And that's not praising Ohio State. That's just how bad OU's defense is.

Ohio State is giving up about 26 points a game. Oklahoma giving up about 33 points a game. Ohio State is giving up about 400 yards a game. Oklahoma is giving up about 450. Ohio State is surprising/sadly "better" than the league average in both. Oklahoma is below average.

Oklahoma making the playoff playing in the weaker conference is a tough sell but we'll see what everything looks like on Tuesday. I really think the committee would be thrilled if Georgia beat Alabama so things would be really easy for them.

They looked amazing on Saturday, but it's hard to ignore that OSU got blown out by Purdue, almost lost to Maryland, and almost lost to PSU.

I don't think we have to ignore that. Oklahoma needed OT to beat Army, beat TTU by 5 and beat Oklahoma State by 1. Ohio State has a huge win against Michigan and another top 15 win against us. Oklahoma has 0 or 1 top 15 win depending on how far WVU falls and they gave up 56 points in regulation during that win. Oklahoma has given up 40 points or more in their last 4 games (Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Kansas & WVU).

and tOSU's is appreciably better?
Did you watch Oklahoma play WVU? They gave up 56 points and that’s with WVU fumbling two balls away that were picked up and ran in by OU. Take those two fumbles away and WVU likely would have scored two more TD’s...giving them 70 and WVU would have won. That was the worst defensive performance I’ve seen maybe ever....winning the game due to two turnovers shouldn’t negate that fact.

Reactions: HunterPSU96
As an advocate for Playoff format change, (12 teams- top four with a bye) I hope having to pick between OU and OSU is a catalyst for making changes and adding teams. One can HOPE!

These situations come up every year (and, if they don't, the sports media creates one :) )….. and it has no impact vav changes to the system.

Last year it was: Conf. Champ OSU vs "Didn't Even Win Their Division" Alabama

Year before it was: B10 Champ PSU vs "Didn't Even Win Their Division" (and lost to PSU) OSU and "Cupcake" UW.

Year before that? It was: 1 loss Iowa (loss coming in CCG) vs 1 loss Oklahoma (who didn't even have a CCG to play in)

Year before that? (First Year of the Invitational Format): TCU dropping three spots (while not playing) to allow OSU in.

Definitely stinks that this is the case because if OSU-Oklahoma do finish 4-5 either way, it'd be a lot more entertaining if they just played each other as part of 4 quarterfinal games to see which one actually deserved it. Trying to differentiate between them is futile. I think both would probably beat Notre Dame.

As for handing Bama the title.. they've been dominant and looked great all year but have they played any other top tier teams? LSU, I guess? Miss St? I'm interested in seeing how they do vs Georgia and in the playoff before crowning them. I expect them to be challenged Saturday and in at least one of their playoff games.

The poll that matters doesn't come out til tomorrow. OSU may not have to jump OU.

This. If the committee puts OU ahead of OSU, I find it nearly impossible they could have OSU jump OU if both win, given that OU is playing the better opponent. However, if they put OSU ahead of OU tomorrow, then OSU is likely in.

I'm rooting against OSU getting in. I know it may cost us an NY6 game, but I want the B1G (OSU, he wouldn't do it for us) to keep getting left out so Delaney pushes for a bigger playoff field which includes all of the Power 5 conference champions..

As much as I hate Michigan, I don't think they would lose to Washington.

I'm rooting against OSU getting in. I know it may cost us an NY6 game, but I want the B1G (OSU, he wouldn't do it for us) to keep getting left out so Delaney pushes for a bigger playoff field which includes all of the Power 5 conference champions..
This.

As an advocate for Playoff format change, (12 teams- top four with a bye) I hope having to pick between OU and OSU is a catalyst for making changes and adding teams. One can HOPE!
I, too, am for change. I advocated to SI for a 16-team playoff back in the 70's. Now, I am firmly behind an 8-team playoff. No byes so no one has that advantage. All of the Power 5 champions get in along with the top non-Power 5 school and two at-large teams, with no more than two teams from any conference. The more Power 5 champions get shut out of the playoff, the closer we get to an expansion of the playoff!

The playoff isn't changing before 2025 even if the big ten never makes it again.

The playoff isn't changing before 2025 even if the big ten never makes it again.
I know how long the contract runs, but if three of the Power 5 push for an expanded playoff field, it's hard to believe there will be no movement on the issue before 2025.

I think we would likely play Florida or LSU in the Peach Bowl. that is a good game in either case.

The media buzz is definitely in favor of Ohio State over Oklahoma, but I see no justification at all for that.

Both teams played roughly comparable schedules. One got blown out by a middle-tier conference team, and one lost a very close game to a very good team.

In addition, the team Oklahoma will play in its conference championship is ranked well ahead of the team Ohio State will play.

Therefore, assuming Oklahoma is ranked ahead of Ohio State by the committee, as is currently the case in the coaches and media poll, how in the world can they drop behind the Bucks if both teams win this Saturday?

I take your point about the bowl games, but Norm says it makes no difference to Penn State whether the conference lands a team in the playoffs. If Norm is right, then it's easy: let Ohio State win and Oklahoma be picked over them for the 4th spot. Cry your little hearts out, Big Jim and Urban!

If Norm is wrong, which I think he is, wow, it becomes a tough call. But like you, I gag at the thought of pulling for Ohio State under any circumstances.

The media buzz is definitely in favor of Ohio State over Oklahoma, but I see no justification at all for that.

Both teams played roughly comparable schedules. One got blown out by a middle-tier conference team, and one lost a very close game to a very good team.

In addition, the team Oklahoma will play in its conference championship is ranked well ahead of the team Ohio State will play.

Therefore, assuming Oklahoma is ranked ahead of Ohio State by the committee, as is currently the case in the coaches and media poll, how in the world can they drop behind the Bucks if both teams win this Saturday?

I take your point about the bowl games, but Norm says it makes no difference to Penn State whether the conference lands a team in the playoffs. If Norm is right, then it's easy: let Ohio State win and Oklahoma be picked over them for the 4th spot. Cry your little hearts out, Big Jim and Urban!

If Norm is wrong, which I think he is, wow, it becomes a tough call. But like you, I gag at the thought of pulling for Ohio State under any circumstances.
Keep this in mind, too: that Maryland team we smoked the other day BEAT Texas, and all but beat Ohio State just 10 days ago.

Definitely stinks that this is the case because if OSU-Oklahoma do finish 4-5 either way, it'd be a lot more entertaining if they just played each other as part of 4 quarterfinal games to see which one actually deserved it. Trying to differentiate between them is futile. I think both would probably beat Notre Dame.

As for handing Bama the title.. they've been dominant and looked great all year but have they played any other top tier teams? LSU, I guess? Miss St? I'm interested in seeing how they do vs Georgia and in the playoff before crowning them. I expect them to be challenged Saturday and in at least one of their playoff games.
Bama has done something that hasn’t been done in 100 years...they beat all their opponents by 20+ points. I don’t care who you’re playing, that’s damn impressive.

No way! They always come out smelling like roses. Have you heard the adjectives being used about them since Saturday? They are once again the best thing since sliced bread!

Yes and other than BTN the consensus seems to be that loss is the deciding factor and OU has the strength of schedule advantage. Not really sure how this is surprising?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT