ADVERTISEMENT

As long as Franklin is coach, this program will wallow in mediocrity!!!!

EPSN crawl tonight: "9th straight loss to an AP Top 10 team under Franklin."

Not exactly a resume builder, now is it. And should he have a subpar season next year and Sandy not fire him then we know who to fire first! For real. Sandy hedged her bet. She is losing. I know what would happen in private industry. She'd get fired. Say Sandy was procurement manager for a major airlines and bet wrong on where fuel prices were heading. She'd be gone. It's no different here nor should it be. Lest you want to become another Rutgers.
PSU will never be Rutgers. Alabama had down years and came back. PSU will always be a blue blood.

EPSN crawl tonight: "9th straight loss to an AP Top 10 team under Franklin."

Not exactly a resume builder, now is it. And should he have a subpar season next year and Sandy not fire him then we know who to fire first! For real. Sandy hedged her bet. She is losing. I know what would happen in private industry. She'd get fired. Say Sandy was procurement manager for a major airlines and bet wrong on where fuel prices were heading. She'd be gone. It's no different here nor should it be. Lest you want to become another Rutgers.
They are going to be even worse next year, which is evident to anyone with eyes, a brain, and the roster.

But they will go ahead and throw more $ at him over the winter anyway instead of doing the right thing and letting him go fall on his face elsewhere.

I don't think PSU will be throwing any more money at him now. Facilities maybe, but not salary increases. Unfortunately we are now in a state where PSU has to wait for 1) Franklin to turn things around, 2) Franklin to leave on his own for another job, or 3) a point in time where the buyout is not huge (several years away)
I am coming at this as a PA former resident Pitt fan USNA grad. I watched the game if they fix the oline he can win. I don’t see the Titanic.

I don't think PSU will be throwing any more money at him now. Facilities maybe, but not salary increases. Unfortunately we are now in a state where PSU has to wait for 1) Franklin to turn things around, 2) Franklin to leave on his own for another job, or 3) a point in time where the buyout is not huge (several years away)
They won't ever fire him unless some kind of scandal happens. So they need to stand firm and let him walk, so unfortunately that means at least two more garbage seasons after this one. And God help us all if he actually manages to get lucky in 2024.

I am coming at this as a PA former resident Pitt fan USNA grad. I watched the game if they fix the oline he can win. I don’t see the Titanic.
Agree. The OL is our biggest problem and has been for the past 6-7 years. Remember the "2016" game against Minny? SB has something like -12 rushing yards the entire 2nd half; then broke one in overtime. The best RB in college at that time and he could barely run against Minny. JF has had years to fix this OL blocking and he has been a failure big time. Let alone yesterdays pass blocking. Walker certainly dropped his NFL stock after yesterday!

Defense did plenty to win yesterday and has kept us in games all year. The offense was bad again. I am also sick of hearing about chunk plays. I'm not sure what Yurcich is doing. It seems like he's just calling plays without trying to set something up later in the drive or game. When we'd run a simple slant, we'd have success. Then we'd try and trick Michigan with motion and fakes and not execute the play losing yardage or having a non competitive pass play. We'd go one step forward and immediately take two steps back.

In defense of Franklin, our offense hasn't been good, our defense has given up quite a few yards and we've somehow had good chances to win all 4 games we lost. That would actually mean he is a good game manager if his team is in games where they shouldn't be.. I'm bummed about the season outcome but not jumping off cliffs either saying we need wholesale changes.

Defense did plenty to win yesterday and has kept us in games all year. The offense was bad again. I am also sick of hearing about chunk plays. I'm not sure what Yurcich is doing. It seems like he's just calling plays without trying to set something up later in the drive or game. When we'd run a simple slant, we'd have success. Then we'd try and trick Michigan with motion and fakes and not execute the play losing yardage or having a non competitive pass play. We'd go one step forward and immediately take two steps back.

In defense of Franklin, our offense hasn't been good, our defense has given up quite a few yards and we've somehow had good chances to win all 4 games we lost. That would actually mean he is a good game manager if his team is in games where they shouldn't be.. I'm bummed about the season outcome but not jumping off cliffs either saying we need wholesale changes.
Agree. And where were our TE's on the 4th and two? BWI said we had the best pair of TE's in the nation. Johnson had a couple grabs but where was Strange?

Reactions: psu00
Way to go, James. Throw another go route for 20 yards on 4th and 2, to a WR that has 2 catches all year. WTF were you thinking????
Why do you think he called the played? Blame MY if you are going to blame someone for that play call. At least get your blame directed at correct person.

PSU will never be Rutgers. Alabama had down years and came back. PSU will always be a blue blood.

Texas is probably a better example. It has won the Big XII only three times since 1996 despite having its pick of the litter recruiting. It lost last night to a team which had lost 56 straight Big XII road games. Never say 'always'. This time is different due to the reasons I cite.

Reactions: db90

My reference point is watching a lot of other teams play on Saturdays, mostly non-Big Ten because I can't stand the style of football. I can say with confidence PSU is caught in a time warp. It is not moving forward and you know the idiom 'if you're not moving ahead then you're falling behind'.

Why do you think he called the played? Blame MY if you are going to blame someone for that play call. At least get your blame directed at correct person.
I asked a multi year letterman at PSU on offense this question this morning. Who is responsible for the last series ? Here is his response … Assume they are on the same page (MY and JF) as most of that would get pre-determined based on situation and the look they get at the line. Maybe its the best play they have but why not call a timeout to regroup once you see the look to talk it through…preserving the timeout doesn’t matter if you can’t score. Like the game is moving too fast to make a good decision.

So it’s not all MY .

Last edited:
Agree. The OL is our biggest problem and has been for the past 6-7 years. Remember the "2016" game against Minny? SB has something like -12 rushing yards the entire 2nd half; then broke one in overtime. The best RB in college at that time and he could barely run against Minny. JF has had years to fix this OL blocking and he has been a failure big time. Let alone yesterdays pass blocking. Walker certainly dropped his NFL stock after yesterday!

Yes but SB and TM were adjusting to a new system, too.

Saw this Gator celebration , and the past two seasons we are closer to this than elite .

He's beginning to remind me of John Cooper.... I'm not as down on him as some of you, but...
There's a lot of truth there. Mark Richt is another name thrown out there.

The difference is that at least Cooper and Richt had some legit national title contenders. Cooper had two teams finish #2 in the polls. Franklin will never sniff that. Hasn't even had a top-5 team, and probably never will.

He is what he is. A very good -- but not elite -- recruiter, and a really poor game manager.

Reactions: royboy
Blue blood programs have success that spans multiple decades with multiple coaches. PSU is about as much of a blue blood as Minnesota.

James sat down with Sandy and said don’t worry about the scores this year, the analytics say we’re undefeated.

He fired the OC and hired MY; the buck stops with him!

Blue blood programs have success that spans multiple decades with multiple coaches. PSU is about as much of a blue blood as Minnesota.
My POV - Name one team in the NE that has PSU legacy? Not Pitt, not SU, not BC, not Rutgers. Name one school in the Mid Atlantic that has PSU legacy? PSU can walk into the following 9 states , PA, NY, NJ, MD, VA, NC, OH, CT, and MI and recruit against anyone. There is no other school on the Eastern Seaboard that can do that. Franklin has an oline problem. Good news is recruiting can correct it, bad news is it takes time.

What happens if Rutgers beats psu next week, what will you Franklin lovers say than?

Wow nothing gets past you huh? Too bad Franklin wasn’t on the field on that 47 yard TD pass to a TE on a simple crossing pattern thrown 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Maybe he could have kicked that critical FG Stout again missed. Criticism of Franklin for the Illinois debacle is fair, but his coaching didn’t have a damned thing to do with today’s loss. At some point players have to make plays.
You are delusional if you believe Franklin had have anything to do with this loss. Take off the Franklin Fan Boy glasses.

These running backs are the worst in school history. But to not give Ford a chance? Has more burst than all the others. Lovett can't catch or block. Lee is in slow motion. Give him a shot.
I saw his family walking out of the stadium yesterday. They did not look happy (nobody did- but they were maybe doubly sad)

the whole NIL thing will be irrelevant in five years max. Companies are going to see that it doesn't make any money for them, and that it is impossible to predict which underclassmen will pan out. It is going to turn into guys getting a thousand dollars here and there to promote local restaurant and bar events
Agreed- how'd that Dr. Pepper deal work out with the Clemson QB...haven't seen much of the spot after the start of the year.

Franklin = Bo Pollini
Franklin = Wanny
Franklin = 9 wins on average
I was thinking Frank Solich without the embarrassing/ butt whooping defeats to lesser conference opponents that got him fired (think our MSU beating with #66 scoring a TD to rub our face in it x 3 games). Huskers would love to have him over the sea of change they wrought upon themselves....Mike Riley and West Coast offense set them back and would be more painful than 4 close losses (2 of which should've been Ws).

I was there yesterday and was as frustrated as anyone else. Clifford is a warrior- was left out to dry by #13 on first play and #10 twice. His line didn't help w sacks and hits. On the other hand his counterpart drilled 2 TDs while we settled for FGs. In the end he tried his best to maximize his talents- but it is just not consistently enough.

Overall a team loss- Offense/Defense and Special Teams all contributed equally- as did the coaching. 25% Blame all around in my opinion. Defense #4 was staring into space on the bench after 47 yard TD knowing he was targeted by his home state team and got burned badly. Hopefully it inspires him to greatness. #9 got some humble pie yesterday too on all 3 TDs. Part of growing process I guess....

I've been worried about the options if Franklin were to leave b/c I feel he does try to represent what we have stood for as best as possible in the current times- however IF he sees fit to leave I"m OK with that too. Enough of the gamesmanship. Coaches who go better than 0-9 vs. top 10 opponents can play that.

Reactions: CbusLion10
The blame is directed to "exactly the right person." He has headphones on and can veto the play anytime he wants. He could have called a timeout and go over what should be called and get the best players back on the field, not "Meiga and Cam Sullivan Brown" for Christ Sake! Where were the TE's??? 4th and 2 and we throw a 15-20 yard Go Route the CSB that was covered like a glove. Got to be kidding!!!

JF is to blame!

For today’s modern game this offense is simply not putting up enough points to win games . Yurcich and the offense has to be a disappointment.
Yurcich has no offensive line to work with…everything flows from there…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT