ADVERTISEMENT

Are we still the best 1 loss team?

Nittanyplayer#12

Jul 24, 2012
Northampton, PA
Thinking about today's game, all teams have had games like this, we had it at the end but powers that be took it away. I like our chances against OSU depending on how we handle next weeks game against Indiana. Gut feeling is we could still get a #4 spot if we win out but then the committee bias for OSU has me thinking they would put OSU in over us even after a win over OSU and winning Big Ten title. It's a big "IF" and probably won't happen but we could come out of this loss being a better team.

The biggest question is, are we still the best 1 loss team after this week?

Last edited:
Thinking about today's game, all teams have had games like this, we had it at the end but powers that be took it away. I like our changes against OSU depending on how we handle next weeks game against Indiana. Gut feeling is we could still get a #4 spot if we win out but then the committee bias for OSU has me thinking they would put OSU in over us even after a win over OSU and winning Big Ten title. It's a big "IF" and probably won't happen but we could come out of this loss being a better team.

At least Alabama and Georgia will be ranked higher IMO
Ohio State gets in at 11-1 with a loss to us. Not sure what that means for us but they'll be in.

Alabama is a better one loss team . Though the CFP is probably still in our hands to make . I think the Tide finally sits out a CFP.

The problem is the Minnesota is ranked so low, we will have to fall below them. How far will they move up??
Also, the game is irrelevant, if we win out we make the playoff. If we lose to OSU, we are out. Which is exactly where we were yesterday.

Reactions: duboispanther
The problem is the Minnesota is ranked so low, we will have to fall below them. How far will they move up??
Also, the game is irrelevant, if we win out we make the playoff. If we lose to OSU, we are out. Which is exactly where we were yesterday.

We absolutely don't have to fall below Minnesota. Highly doubt we will.

No, Oklahoma would torch our defense in a shoot out, and unfortunately our offense is not consistent enough to keep up, so we lose by 2 TDs

Alabama and Georgia would beat us too.

Reactions: duboispanther
If OSU has one loss to us and we run the table and win the CCG, we'll be in over OSU.

I said, Ohio State is in at 11-1. I didn't say we'd be out.
Cincinnati winning out and Wisconsin winning out would be very, very bad for us though. Iowa likely won't even be a ranked win unless they beat Minnesota which is bad for us either way.

I said, Ohio State is in at 11-1. I didn't say we'd be out.
Cincinnati winning out and Wisconsin winning out would be very, very bad for us though. Iowa likely won't even be a ranked win unless they beat Minnesota which is bad for us either way.

OSU is no shoo in at 11-1 if their loss is to us and we win out.

Thinking about today's game, all teams have had games like this, we had it at the end but powers that be took it away. I like our changes against OSU depending on how we handle next weeks game against Indiana. Gut feeling is we could still get a #4 spot if we win out but then the committee bias for OSU has me thinking they would put OSU in over us even after a win over OSU and winning Big Ten title. It's a big "IF" and probably won't happen but we could come out of this loss being a better team.

NO

We are in the playoff if we beat OSU and win the B10 championship game. That simple. Only issue is it has about a 5% chance of materializing.

Reactions: NittanyLionFan
At least Alabama and Georgia will be ranked higher IMO
Ohio State gets in at 11-1 with a loss to us. Not sure what that means for us but they'll be in.
Not if we win out. Win out and we are conference champs and will be #4 for the playoffs.

Not if we win out. Win out and we are conference champs and will be #4 for the playoffs.

We have no idea who is going to be ranked anywhere if we win out. Hell, we could be as high as 2 in that scenario. We could be as low as 6 IMO (Clemson, Georgia and Baylor win out, LSU is 12-1 with the loss to Georgia, Ohio State is 11-1 with Cincinnati and Wisconsin winning out but Minnesota going 11-2) even if you don't believe Ohio State could be ahead of us that could easily put us at 5.

Thinking about today's game, all teams have had games like this, we had it at the end but powers that be took it away. I like our chances against OSU depending on how we handle next weeks game against Indiana. Gut feeling is we could still get a #4 spot if we win out but then the committee bias for OSU has me thinking they would put OSU in over us even after a win over OSU and winning Big Ten title. It's a big "IF" and probably won't happen but we could come out of this loss being a better team.

No.....Bama and Georgia are better.

Somebody likes our chances against OSU ?
Just curious, but has he watched any of their games this year ?

I’ll reply. Yes, I’ve watched OSU and they are great. But as Lou Holtz said , “we have 85 scholarship players too”. So we’ll need to play our “A” game (which we haven’t yet so we are due) and probably be plus 3 in turnovers.
Nobody is unbeatable so maybe... just maybe....it could be Penn States day to shine!!!

I’ll reply. Yes, I’ve watched OSU and they are great. But as Lou Holtz said , “we have 85 scholarship players too”. So we’ll need to play our “A” game (which we haven’t yet so we are due) and probably be plus 3 in turnovers.
Nobody is unbeatable so maybe... just maybe....it could be Penn States day to shine!!!
The only way that might happen is if Fields gets hurt.
Our secondary absolutely cannot match up with the OSU wideouts, and I doubt our pass rush will make up for it against OSU’s OL.
I expect something along the lines of 45 - 21.

OSU is gonna light up this pourous D for 60+ points!!!!

No

Georgia's loss is to a team that is now 4-6. They're somehow better only because their loss happened earlier in the season?

Reactions: psuno1
Just like Georgia fell below South Carolina and Oklahoma fell below Kansas State... ;)

Georgia's loss is to a team that is now 4-6. They're somehow better only because their loss happened earlier in the season?

SEC bias is real. They lost a game that appears close (closer than it was) early in the year. They have wins over ND and Florida (even though I think ND sucks). They were 5th next week so we know the committee likes them.

We are in the playoff if we beat OSU and win the B10 championship game. That simple. Only issue is it has about a 5% chance of materializing.
Also, don't forget about Indiana. Not a forgone conclusion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT