ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone who was in State College in the mid 1980s

Surf Club, LOL. I hated that place. I was a fan of Nellos. They had Bass Ale on tap.
But if you were there in '87 Scorpion might have been closed by then. Not sure of the exact date but I know it was in the late 80's.
It was still there when I graduated in '85 and I know it was there at least until '86 because I went to it at an Arts Fest.
Not sure of the exact date. I knew it was 1988. According to this article, "sometime in October (1988)."
LINK: Lease problems sting Scorpion

What I remember most is that the sound was great. Bands did love to play there. I carried equipment in for a few bands there.

"Berrigan said that he never had to actively track down acts to perform at the Scorpion, because "this place rode along on reputation...I've been told by many bands that acoustically, it's one of the best rooms that they've ever played in," said Berrigan."

Reactions: BBrown
If you ever want to take a walk back in time, check out the The Collegian Archive site sometime. They have every issue digitized and you can browse the images of the exact newspaper pages. I've done this a few times when trying to recall when and where my wife may have attended something while we were students. It's a trip to see some of the old ads for bars, their drink specials and what bands were appearing on a particular weekend.

Ok, admittedly I wasn't a huge bar hopper during my college days, but I didn't live in Hammond library either......how is it I never heard of the Scorpion? Where was it?
I was more of a Gaff, GMan, Surf Club, Cafe 210 kinda guy.
I was a huge bar hopper and barely remember the Scorpion. Probably was there for my fraternity's bar-a-thon when we went to 18 bars and played it like golf (beer was par, mixed drink was a bogie, shot was an eagle). More of a G-Man, Skellar, Den, Saloon, Phyrst, 210, Train Yard kinda guy. Only band I remember by name is Phyrst Family (RIP Ernie)!

It was on West Calder - closed in the late 80's I think. Great Bar for Bands - they kicked us out of there at 2:30 many a weekend night - turned the lights up and told us to get the hell out they wanted to go home. Was a cool place.

It was originally the local Elks Lodge. The bar closed a year or two before I arrived in 1990 and I believe the building was torn down in the mid 90s. While I was never there, I do have a framed photo of John Lee Hooker playing there.

Surf Club, LOL. I hated that place. I was a fan of Nellos. They had Bass Ale on tap.
But if you were there in '87 Scorpion might have been closed by then. Not sure of the exact date but I know it was in the late 80's.
It was still there when I graduated in '85 and I know it was there at least until '86 because I went to it at an Arts Fest.
The old Scorpion space was reabsorbed by the downtown Elk's Club for a number of years, right? I was still a kid at that point, but I remember when it closed.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/arts_a...cle_e706cb87-2b1d-549c-b51a-fd4e5350b326.html

It was originally the local Elks Lodge. The bar closed a year or two before I arrived in 1990 and I believe the building was torn down in the mid 90s. While I was never there, I do have a framed photo of John Lee Hooker playing there.

Originally the Elks Lodge. Around '67 the Elks sold the bar to Al and Larry Teti, who opened the place and called it Teddy's. After two years, the Teti's sold it and the bar became the Scorpian. Some pretty decent musicians played there.

18700076_1942522052439836_1463634739539223658_n.jpg

Anybody remember the Brickhouse? If I am remembering correctly (very questionable) Taj Mahal played there right before it closed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT