ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone gonna get a "Real ID" ?

Thus Spoke Mainer

Mar 6, 2012
$30 for a Real ID to be able to board a plane or go into a Federal Office building. Not necessary if if have a passport, you can use that.

Reactions: NedFromYork
$30 for a Real ID to be able to board a plane or go into a Federal Office building. Not necessary if if have a passport, you can use that.
Looking at what they did here, it looks to me like another rip-off created by the State to get more money from everyone. $30 for someone to view your information and verify you are a citizen. You have to do all the work and present them what they want. They check a box and charge you $30. Maybe I'm cynical, but it just looks like another government rip-off to me.

I don't have the "real id" yet and my MD license doesn't expire until 2024 so I don't know if MD will send me a notice to renew or not. But I did get my passport this year (Banf in July) so I guess its all good as long as I have that.

Looking at what they did here, it looks to me like another rip-off created by the State to get more money from everyone. $30 for someone to view your information and verify you are a citizen. You have to do all the work and present them what they want. They check a box and charge you $30. Maybe I'm cynical, but it just looks like another government rip-off to me.

Real ID is not a state requirement; it is a federal issue.

Reactions: PSU_Nut and PS4814
Getting a real ID/Drivers License is a joke in California. The DMV is completely incompetent. To get one you have to stand in line for hours for the right to get a number so you can wait more hours to be called. You of course could make an appointment. They are so far behind that appointments are 2 months out. Good times back in the USSR.

Reactions: kijanalives
Last Fall they let people sign up for Real ID. I took all the papers to a drivers center and was approved and told I would get them when they come out. Should I have received something in the mail this month?

Isn't it a federal issue vs. state? My understanding is that the state ID did not meet federal guidelines.
This is correct.

In many states, their new DL meet the federal requirements for Real ID, so you do not need another ID.

PA is one of 12 states that are not compliant, meaning that your DL will not double as a Real ID (but as stated, you can either get a separate Real ID or use your passport; also if you have another federal ID (e.g. a CAC card), that also works).

The only slightly tricky bit is that if your state is compliant but you have an old DL that isn't due to be renewed yet. You might have to renew early if you don't have an alternate ID (e.g. passport).

Hope that helps.

https://www.dhs.gov/archive/current-status-states-territories

Last Fall they let people sign up for Real ID. I took all the papers to a drivers center and was approved and told I would get them when they come out. Should I have received something in the mail this month?
No, you need to go online to apply if the state already has reviewed your documents. Got mine less than a week after paying up. One good thing about the process, my driver's license is now good till 2027.

This is correct.

In many states, their new DL meet the federal requirements for Real ID, so you do not need another ID.

PA is one of 12 states that are not compliant, meaning that your DL will not double as a Real ID (but as stated, you can either get a separate Real ID or use your passport; also if you have another federal ID (e.g. a CAC card), that also works).

The only slightly tricky bit is that if your state is compliant but you have an old DL that isn't due to be renewed yet. You might have to renew early if you don't have an alternate ID (e.g. passport).

Hope that helps.

https://www.dhs.gov/archive/current-status-states-territories
I was confused about what was going on here, and then I realized I live in a progressive state (WV), we have had real ID for over 5 years!! It was a little bit of a pia, but a w-2 and a passport cuts out most of the bring your cable bill stuff.

I was confused about what was going on here, and then I realized I live in a progressive state (WV), we have had real ID for over 5 years!! It was a little bit of a pia, but a w-2 and a passport cuts out most of the bring your cable bill stuff.

Wow, did not know that WV was so far ahead of the curve on the Real ID.
My MD Drivers License was renewed in April of 2016 I think that was about a month before we went to
the Real ID. Not sure why they did not bring all of us April people into the fold if they knew they were going to be switching over or at least give us a 1 month exemption until the new process was started.:rolleyes:

I don't have the "real id" yet and my MD license doesn't expire until 2024 so I don't know if MD will send me a notice to renew or not. But I did get my passport this year (Banf in July) so I guess its all good as long as I have that.

Enjoy Banff! My wife and i have it on our bucket list. I think you might need a pass/ passes if you plan on hiking. Alberta and British Columbia provinces are naturally beautiful.
https://www.commandesparcs-parksorders.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/parksb2c

https://www.banffjaspercollection.c...a/stories/how-long-should-you-spend-in-banff/

Ohio is requiring them now. Next time I renew....

You do not get your new license at the deputy registrar now--they mail it to you. But you still have to pay the $1.50 "lamination fee". I kid you not.

no, you need a 'know traveler' id for that. Then you can use TSA pre check line, if they have them open.

Fortunately the last 3 times I've flown I got pulled out of line and was able to do the TSA Pre-Check.
Nice. I only fly about 4 times a year so I'm not going to pay for it.

Reactions: BBrown
Fortunately the last 3 times I've flown I got pulled out of line and was able to do the TSA Pre-Check.

Ignore the late reply below.

okay but IIRC it was $80 for 10 yrs? or $8 per year, or $2 per flight for guaranteed pre check, and keeping your shoes on. Less than the Starbucks my wife always needs to have!

I think you have to go the pre check route. Either that or after a few flights in a short time frame you might get lucky and get selected randomly. Thanks to my wife, we got "randomly selected". Theycalled us out of the line, and we went right through. That was awesome!

https://travelprecheck.org/tsa-precheck-program-benefits.html
If you travel internationally, you should look into Global Entry (which gets you through Customs/Immigration faster), it costs $100 for 5 years, but includes TSA Pre-check (which costs $85 by itself). Pretty painless to get.

I would ... but I can't find my Social Security card. I figure it will turn up someplace as I prepare to move.

Reactions: step.eng69
If you travel internationally, you should look into Global Entry (which gets you through Customs/Immigration faster), it costs $100 for 5 years, but includes TSA Pre-check (which costs $85 by itself). Pretty painless to get.
IIRC for Global Entry TSA needs to interview you at certain airports. so if you live in the outback, and not near one of those certain airports, its tough to get interviewed.

IIRC for Global Entry TSA needs to interview you at certain airports. so if you live in the outback, and not near one of those certain airports, its tough to get interviewed.

You have to do the interview for precheck, too

Getting a real ID/Drivers License is a joke in California. The DMV is completely incompetent. To get one you have to stand in line for hours for the right to get a number so you can wait more hours to be called. You of course could make an appointment. They are so far behind that appointments are 2 months out. Good times back in the USSR.
In CA do you have to be a citizen to get a DL? If not then a Real ID from Cali is problematic.

okay but IIRC it was $80 for 10 yrs? or $8 per year, or $2 per flight for guaranteed pre check, and keeping your shoes on. Less than the Starbucks my wife always needs to have!

Oh Ok I will check into that I thought you had to pay that yearly.

There's a lot of places to get them done. Yes, if you live in the bush you cannot do this at your local Landfill and Croissant franchise, but for most people there are multiple options to get this done (and when I did it the interview took 2 minutes, so you could actually do it at the airport while traveling).

https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/schedulerui...returnUrl=https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/&service=up

There's a lot of places to get them done. Yes, if you live in the bush you cannot do this at your local Landfill and Croissant franchise, but for most people there are multiple options to get this done (and when I did it the interview took 2 minutes, so you could actually do it at the airport while traveling).

https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/schedulerui/schedule-interview/location?lang=en&vo=true&returnUrl=https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/&service=up
well I must live in the bush. There are no airports in WV for Global entry. The closest is 3 hrs away via auto. The main hub we use is CLT, but whenever I am flying through there, they dont have appointments available, as I just checked (and thanks for the link btw). The earliest appointment for CLT is July 30 (provided I book today)

Charlotte-Douglas International Airport, Charlotte, NORTH CAROLINA 28208

Google Map
Next Available Appointment:July 30, 2019

No you do not have to be a citizen to get a DL. I am not sure about a Real ID.

Thats what I dont understand. I get that they cannot get a "real ID" but the DLs now have been upgraded with secuity features to be accepble instead of a Real ID. But how do you get a DL now when you are missing half the required paperwork? Does the liscense state illegal?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT