ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone gonna get a "Real ID" ?

How is this different from paying to have your current drivers' license renewed ??
I think the complaint would be that if PA DL's never become compliant then you'd have to pay to renew your DL (assuming you drive) AND pay for your Real ID. I have no idea what the rationale is for states who are non-compliant (i.e. is it a logistics or technology issue or are they objecting to the federal policy?), but if I lived in a non-compliant state and didn't have a passport or CAC card, I'd be pissed.

You guys realize that this whole Real ID thing is a republican creation going back to 2005 and signed into law by Bush the second right?
That doesn't change what I just posted.

I live in MO and Real-ID Driver's license is available starting today. Here is how it works here
* you do not have to get a Real ID Driver's license if you do not want one; you can make your choice at renewal.
*if you want one now you can get it at no cost, just need to show up at license bureau site and supply the 4 types of required docs...not sure from that point how long it takes to get physical Real-ID card
*US passport works for 2 of them, SS card or other a 1099 form or SSA tax statement, and 2 utility bills or bank statement or voting card with your present address
*you can wait for renewal, but Real-ID DL or Passport, or TSA Global entry card need to fly starting 10/1/2020
I will get one but will wait a few months to avoid long lines for those that have to have it now

I don't have the "real id" yet and my MD license doesn't expire until 2024 so I don't know if MD will send me a notice to renew or not. But I did get my passport this year (Banf in July) so I guess its all good as long as I have that.

Wanted to bump this BBrown. It is official for my wife and I. We are flying into Calgary, Alberta and then going to Banff and Jasper? in early June. I'll have to let you know if we find out any info that could be helpful for you. Looking into Bear Spray because I know my wife is going to want to go hiking. I thought of this thread because my passport was delivered today.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/randonee-hiking/lakelouise

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/jasper/activ/passez-stay/arrierepays-backcountry/planif-plan

Last edited:
Reactions: BBrown
Wanted to bump this BBrown. It is official for my wife and I. We are flying into Calgary, Alberta and then going to Banff and Jasper? in early June. I'll have to let you know if we find out any info that could be helpful for you. Looking into Bear Spray because I know my wife is going to want to go hiking. I thought of this thread because my passport was delivered today.

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/banff/activ/randonee-hiking/lakelouise

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/ab/jasper/activ/passez-stay/arrierepays-backcountry/planif-plan

Very nice. I’m looking forward to my trip as well.
Was a little concerned when I found out one of the planes from Toronto to Calgary was a 737 max 8 but I checked and they replaced it with a 767.

Reactions: STPGopherfan
Illinois is one of the non-compliant states (naturally) and have just started advertising in order to not have everyone hit the Secy Of State facilities at the last minute in September, 2020.

Basic driver licenses (including GET REAL) are $30 for four years in IL. There’s also a state ID card that meets the GET REAL requirements, $20.

I last renewed in 2017, thus am licensed through 2021. If I want a GET REAL license before my normal renewal, I can do it for $5, but it would not extend the expiration past my birthdate in 2021.

Illinois used to give you your license locally when you renewed it, but changed to a central issuing through the mail a few years ago.

Got mine a few weeks ago - it was a zoo at the drivers license center - took a number and went to lunch and ran errands and got back just in time - 2 hours later. Said it would take 30 day to get it and it came in 5 days. At least 50% of the people there were applying for the real ID and many didn’t have all the required info with them.

You’d think an existing driver’s license would be proof of residence but it’s not.

Maybe 7-8 years ago my Dad was no longer driving. His license was expiring and he “simply” wanted to get a state (TX) ID card.

We went to the facility in Austin and they wouldn’t use his still-not-yet-expired driver’s license as a basis for issuing a state ID. I didn’t really want to take an hour to drive round-trip back to his house to get a utility bill and stand in line again. Was not a happy camper.

So instead a supervisor stepped in, waived my Dad’s vision test (he was 80+ at the time) and they re-issued a driver’s license to a guy that could barely get to the head of the line with his walker and needed help to get in and out of the car!

Very nice. I’m looking forward to my trip as well.
Was a little concerned when I found out one of the planes from Toronto to Calgary was a 737 max 8 but I checked and they replaced it with a 767.
Funny that you mentioned that. My wife mentioned that Westjet was using 737 max 8's. I told her that I didn't think they would because IIRC Canada temporarily banned them as well.

If you travel internationally, you should look into Global Entry (which gets you through Customs/Immigration faster), it costs $100 for 5 years, but includes TSA Pre-check (which costs $85 by itself). Pretty painless to get.
Thanks! I'll have to look into this.

$30 for a Real ID to be able to board a plane or go into a Federal Office building. Not necessary if if have a passport, you can use that.
Your gummits in action, responding to an urgent national emergency:
09/2001: Terrorists attack
05/2005: In response to 9/11, US passes Real ID Act
01/2008: US passes final regulations of Real ID Act
10/2020: All states to be in compliance with Real ID Act
Only 19+ years !

To get a Real ID you need your original birth certificate with raised seal (proving you were born in the US), social security card, and documents to prove your current residence. The only difference between a Read ID and drivers liscense is the Real ID has a gold star printed in the upper right corner, everything else looks identical (at least in PA). The gold star certifies that your information has been verified and that you are a legal citizen (or have present the supporting documentation to prove you are a legal immigrant) who has submitted the proper documentation to prove who you are. I fly once or twice a year on vacation but don't travel outside the country so I don't have a passport. If you have a passport, then you don't need to have a Real ID.
My daughter just renewed her MD driver's license and did not need an original birth certificate with a raised seal. They accepted her passport along with her SS card and one other document (her car insurance bill, which contains her name and address).

My daughter just renewed her MD driver's license and did not need an original birth certificate with a raised seal. They accepted her passport along with her SS card and one other document (her car insurance bill, which contains her name and address).

Yes. Having your passport will help with a lot of things. But thanks for the info because I didn't even think you still needed your SS if you had your passport and a bill with address.
Also how long will the "bill with your address on it be mandatory"? I mean I think I have 1 bill that comes to me now through the mail all the others I pay online.
Can you print out your online bill and show to them?
Do they still ask for that when you rent a car?

Yes. Having your passport will help with a lot of things. But thanks for the info because I didn't even think you still needed your SS if you had your passport and a bill with address.
Also how long will the "bill with your address on it be mandatory"? I mean I think I have 1 bill that comes to me now through the mail all the others I pay online.
Can you print out your online bill and show to them?
Do they still ask for that when you rent a car?
I would assume that would be acceptable (providing it shows your name and address?)...but who knows. My daughter's friend recently renewed a DL as well and they DID require him to have a birth cert with raised seal; however, I believe his passport had expired which is why they didn't accept it. Also, the birth cert he had did not have a raised seal so he had the extra pita step of going someplace and getting one with a raised seal...for an additional fee, of course!

$30 for a Real ID to be able to board a plane or go into a Federal Office building. Not necessary if if have a passport, you can use that.

Cheaper to get Real ID rather than a Passport.

If called for jury duty at Federal Court; you will need a Read ID OR you can remember to take your Passport. BTW, there consequences if you do not show up or are late for federal jury duty.

Not me. Nope. MARK OF THE BEAST.

I read about this somewhere, but I forget where...

YaQ3NG.gif

No, you need to go online to apply if the state already has reviewed your documents. Got mine less than a week after paying up. One good thing about the process, my driver's license is now good till 2027.
What ID do you need? Birth Certificate, SS card, DL, anything else ? Do you need Birth Cert? Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT