ADVERTISEMENT

Another ringing endorsement for Donovan...

Franklin "taking a more active role in the offense"...just now, after practice.

We'll see.
As a coach, he should hold those accountable. First step is evaluating exactly what they are doing. Results are poor, find out why.

He's already involved in the play calling so not sure what exactly is going to change.

This is a standard announcement by head coaches who see one of their coordinators taking heat. I would not read too much into it. Don't you think all the calls were audible on his headsets? SOP HC can over rule a play call. Not saying its routine, but certainly not unusual.

Basically I was simply pointing it out. I have no idea about who's fault this actually is. When you give up ten sacks in one game, who the hell knows?

Franklin says all the right things. I think we all want to see him back up what he says. I'm willing to take a deep breath and hope to see improvement this week and the weeks to come. This could be a rough year with the loss of Wartman-White. I'm not certain our defense can be as dominant, but had hoped our offense could help them out more this year.

I will be very surprised if fundamental changes are not in the works, offensively.

11 plays! Maybe we see 12 this weekend. Somewhere along the game timeline... if you don't know who or how to block ... ya might want to make physical contact with the guy in front of you. My advice to the PSI offensive line.

We'll see.
I did give Franklin the Sacrificial Lamb list, but I admit that ( in copying and pasting quickly) I messed up the rankings of the three (3) low hanging fruits.

What I posted (in order of dismissability)
1. Herb Hand
2. Ricky Rahne
3. John Donovan

What I should have posted (in order of urgent dismissability)
1. Herb Hand
2. John Donovan
3. Ricky Rahne

Mac McWhorter is sitting at home in Athens GA and is cringing at what he sees. Mac is probably willing, upon the official firing of Chef Herb, to fly up to State College and be a part-time coach.

He's probably confident that he can fix the stuff the Chef has obviously undercooked, within the span of a couple of practices.

Last edited:
Reactions: eld001 and WeR0206
11 plays! Maybe we see 12 this weekend. Somewhere along the game timeline... if you don't know who or how to block ... ya might want to make physical contact with the guy in front of you. My advice to the PSI offensive line.
I think the problem is one of execution, not how many different plays they run. It is difficult to call a game when the other team is growing roots in your backfield.
I did give Franklin the Sacrificial Lamb list, but I admit that ( in copying and pasting quickly) I messed up the rankings of the three (3) low hanging fruits.

What I posted (in order of dismissability)
1. Herb Hand
2. Ricky Rahne
3. John Donovan

What I should have posted (in order of urgent dismissability)
1. Herb Hand
2. John Donovan
3. Ricky Rahne
I think we both know no one is getting fired during the season.

No offense taken. But again, no one is getting fired during the season.
I agree with you, but firings are a natural course of action in business/corporate America.

PSU Football Inc,, just like Ohio State Football Inc, is a business. It's time to start running our's to win....and that includes terminating those who aren't capable of being part of the solution.

I agree with you, but firings are a natural course of action in business/corporate America.

PSU Football Inc,, just like Ohio State Football Inc, is a business. It's time to start running our's to win....and that includes terminating those who aren't capable of being part of the solution.
In corporate America there is an endless supply of talent, available at virtually any time. In college football, available talent is under contract in season. PSU is not going to fire someone in season, be forced to honor their contract and be unable to replace that particular position coach. If you followed my posts all week, I predicted that JF would assume some play calling responsibilities. That is SOP in football. It could mean that JF is not enamored with JD or it could simply mean that he is injecting himself into the "fire" in order to deflect criticism from his friend. I don't think you and I will ever know which it is. I have been around football my entire life, and while coaching is always an important element.....this offensive problem has more to do with personnel.

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy

We'll see.
In his presser today, James gave what seemed like a reasonable rationale for not using some of the schemes our armchair OC's have been calling for. More generally, when the history of this season is written, the main theme will have been trying to get the "pieces" in place (James' vernacular) such that Hack's performance approximates the hype. Problem is those pieces don't appear to be there...yet. Just hope they don't bend their picks, and throw the season away, in the attempt. JMO.

Reactions: psuluvr1
In his presser today, James gave what seemed like a reasonable rationale for not using some of the schemes our armchair OC's have been calling for. More generally, when the history of this season is written, the main theme will have been trying to get the "pieces" in place (James' vernacular) such that Hack's performance approximates the hype. Problem is those pieces don't appear to be there...yet. Just hope they don't bend their picks, and throw the season away, in the attempt. JMO.
Not making any changes, is throwing the season away.

Reactions: pkg5002
" I think you underestimate the importance of having "sacrificial lambs". All great CEO's have them"

And all Scoundrel BOTs do as well.

Reactions: WeR0206

I don't know if "actions will follow words"...and certainly don't know if "actions will lead to results"....and that is where the rubber meets the road. But I will say that CJF is saying - IMHO - all the right words.

- from the standpoint of maximizing the chances of moving THIS YEAR'S team forward
and
- from the standpoint of keeping the program well-positioned from a recruiting standpoint

If he is being legit - and I have no reason at this point to doubt that - then he is the right guy to be taking on this task right now.

I still have serious concerns over how well this season will unfold from a wins-losses standpoint, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT