ADVERTISEMENT

Allar SUCKS

He doesn’t suck. He’s good and should get better, but he was clearly rattled today. Even the receivers were looking at him after he missed them. To be fair, the receivers had their share of miss-reads. —Allar has a very bad habit of throwing while falling/moving backwards ( even when he doesn’t have to). He almost never steps into the throw. He has a strong arm, but can’t depend on that kind of throwing motion against elite defenses. He’ll get better

You can't put it all on Allar. The PSU receivers could have done a better job route running. Too often, it seemed like they were not getting any separation from their defenders, the result being it looked like Allar was throwing into traffic. The PSU offensive line is good, and Singleton had a couple of good runs, but the Ohio State defense is stout, and they pressured Allar. The PSU defense is consistently great, but the PSU offense is not.

All of that being said, Allar had a disappointing game. He appears to be throwing off his back foot most of the time. That's understandable when he is under pressure, but he shouldn't be doing that when he is not under pressure. It also seems like he is very prone to sailing the ball well over the head of his receivers. He did that on more than a few occasions where he was not under pressure. Even if PSU's receivers were all world, they're not gonna catch balls that are airmailed like that. I thought Allar would be a more accurate passer than that.

I hope he continues to improve. He will have to in order for PSU to beat teams like Ohio State and Michigan. And, frankly, just to retain the starting QB job. Does PSU have a "Quarterback Whisperer" on its coaching staff? Maybe the Lions could use one. They need more production from the QB position, and it would help with recruiting QB's.

Finally, I have to say that today's game reminded me, once again, how profound and visceral my dislike for Ohio State is. More than Michigan. By a mile, and I don't like Michigan, either.

Franklin shouldn't have to tell Allar to set his feet and throw the ball. Allar is never on balance. How many times do you see him step into a throw? More often than not he only uses his arm to throw.
I saw an interview the other day with his QB coach raving about him. It seems like he has gotten from what got him to this point. He seemed to have very good fundamentals, but not so much right now and it isn't just this game.

Does he suck against bad competition? No.
Does he suck against the good ones? He did today, but I think he’s making too many changes at the line.

I’m also concerned that we hear he’s this incredible preparer and studies a ton of video. I don’t know if “deer in the headlights” is strong enough for what we saw today. The coaches have to dumb down the playbook even more after this outing to get him some confidence back. This game was indicative of a disgusting reoccurring failure of leadership and what’s sickening is that it keeps happening year after year after year without any obvious plan for change.

Agree. I see a quarterback that is overthinking things, getting flustered and handcuffed.

Has anyone else noticed that the players often don't know where they are supposed to be? How does that happen?

Something is missing in practice. It looks like Drew and his receivers are not getting the repetitions that are needed, at least not game-like repetitions. QB and receivers continue to be on different pages far too often. Worse, it was like this without seeing anything substantially new for the biggest game of the year. Really disappointing. Even the talking heads on CBS just said the exact same thing.

At the start of the season Drew showed that he could make any throw, and do it accurately, even on the run. That seems gone. Mechanics -- footwork/balance -- should never degrade like this by playing more competitive football.

Unfortunately, this would not be the first time we've seen this sort of thing happen to a stud quarterback at PSU. Is there a problem with the water in State College? Beyond geography, what is the thing that hasn't changed?

Franklin needs to huddle up with his staff and figure it out. I don't pin this on Drew. In his case I would be concerned that he could become too self-critical. He's only 19 and in his first year playing meaningful college football.

This is about how Drew is being developed, and how the game plan is designed to get results within the limits of our personnel.

These coaches get an awful lot of money. I expect more from them. I expect them to figure it out and execute.

Franklin shouldn't have to tell Allar to set his feet and throw the ball. Allar is never on balance. How many times do you see him step into a throw? More often than not he only uses his arm to throw.
I’m uncertain how to respond to this. Are you attempting to validate today’s offensive play calling by calling out the quarterbacks fundamentals, or lack thereof?

He’s a poor fit for this offense
he can’t run and doesn’t come across as a leader
his body Language alone says that
probably time to mix pribula in and set up a true competition for next year

you need a mobile QB to win in todays game

Reactions: WaffleShopper
Allar is missing layups....basic throws he should be making. And, that has been the case for weeks now....including all 3 on the road.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and NCLION
I’m uncertain how to respond to this. Are you attempting to validate today’s offensive play calling by calling out the quarterbacks fundamentals, or lack thereof?
It doesn't matter what play is called if the QB isn't hitting his throws. That may have influenced what they were willing to call.

Nothing more pathetic than starting a thread saying one of the players suck. Ya I’m sure kids read this and are dying to play here
It's pretty harsh, but his play did kind of suck today. He seems like a good kid and he's still got lots of potential, but has to put this behind him and use it as motivation. Clifford sucked against Ohio State too. They sucked in a different way. Allar didn't give the game away like Clifford, but he didn't play well and thus failed to grab the opportunity that was there. This was a beatable Ohio State team with merely competent quarterback play. He seemed to play like he thought it was all on him.

Reactions: scrivener
Jurkovec 57-112 (51%) 818 yds 6 TD 3 INT

Allar 136-223 (60%) 1,445 yds 13 TD 0 INT

Yep, almost identical (eye roll).
You're right. I could have at least explained myself. And maybe it was a bit harsh. He is still a way better QB than Jurkovec.

He has zero confidence and his mechanics are not great. His completion percentage has been floating around 50 percent in several games. He isn't on the same page as receivers. Missing open guys. Throwing off his back foot a lot. With exception of today's game, he has had good pockets for the most part.

All stuff Jurkovec showed. Although Drew isn't nearly as bad. Just some similarities I noticed.

Reactions: 91Joe95
It's pretty harsh, but his play did kind of suck today. He seems like a good kid and he's still got lots of potential, but has to put this behind him and use it as motivation. Clifford sucked against Ohio State too. They sucked in a different way. Allar didn't give the game away like Clifford, but he didn't play well and thus failed to grab the opportunity that was there. This was a beatable Ohio State team with merely competent quarterback play. He seemed to play like he thought it was all on him.
The OP did not say he sucked today, he said he sucked. That’s the problem with irrational fans. I read the same type of crap about Barkley after he would have a bad game. I guess it’s because their players on PlayStation never have bad games, so it should be like that in real life.

You can't put it all on Allar. The PSU receivers could have done a better job route running. Too often, it seemed like they were not getting any separation from their defenders, the result being it looked like Allar was throwing into traffic. The PSU offensive line is good, and Singleton had a couple of good runs, but the Ohio State defense is stout, and they pressured Allar. The PSU defense is consistently great, but the PSU offense is not.

All of that being said, Allar had a disappointing game. He appears to be throwing off his back foot most of the time. That's understandable when he is under pressure, but he shouldn't be doing that when he is not under pressure. It also seems like he is very prone to sailing the ball well over the head of his receivers. He did that on more than a few occasions where he was not under pressure. Even if PSU's receivers were all world, they're not gonna catch balls that are airmailed like that. I thought Allar would be a more accurate passer than that.

I hope he continues to improve. He will have to in order for PSU to beat teams like Ohio State and Michigan. And, frankly, just to retain the starting QB job. Does PSU have a "Quarterback Whisperer" on its coaching staff? Maybe the Lions could use one. They need more production from the QB position, and it would help with recruiting QB's.

Finally, I have to say that today's game reminded me, once again, how profound and visceral my dislike for Ohio State is. More than Michigan. By a mile, and I don't like Michigan, either.
Great post ! Actually everyone knew going into this season our one Achilles heel was.. our receiving Corp. Drew will be fine.. but we really need some elite receivers coming in.. today they had poor routes and were just unable to get any real separation.opposing teams knowing we have no deep threat can change their defense of course to stop our runs and short passes.. again.. no deep threats. Crazy as it sounds.. we are still in this.of course have to win all team song games including Michigan.. which IF we win., real jump is forward a. Inch of spits as they should be still undefeated and ranked #2 when we play them..

The OP did not say he sucked today, he said he sucked. That’s the problem with irrational fans. I read the same type of crap about Barkley after he would have a bad game. I guess it’s because their players on PlayStation never have bad games, so it should be like that in real life.
If Allar's who I think he is OP will eat his words at some point

• Haha
Reactions: okcpokefan12
That OSU QB is getting better and better every game - especially in big-pressure packed situations. Have you even watched him this year? Did you watch the last few minutes of the ND-OSU game? He was MONEY

Anyone watch Utah beat USC? Would the Utah QB have even been considered for an offer to PSU had he played high school in the core PSU recruiting areas? But he's a playmaker that made the game breaking plays with his legs. The first time starter for Miami vs Clemson also seems to be making more plays than Allar has been making this year.

If Allar is going to lead PSU to wins against top 5 teams he has to do it in the pocket with his arm, being accurate and making good decisions as he sure hasn't shown the ability to make even an occassional play scrambling or on a keeper. Personally, I'd rather have a QB with better mobility. Especially with the very average WR groups that PSU has had post-Godwin.

I have to give Allar some slack. He didn’t play well and I think if you sat down with him he’d be the first to admit it.

It’s his first year as starter. Usually you’ll see newbie QBs turn it over, make dumb throws for interceptions, or just be overwhelmed by the situation. That often can lead to 1-2 losses in their ‘rookie’ year.

I think he’s actually done pretty well overall- today notwithstanding. He also had very little help today from the O line giving him time to receivers making plays to his O coordinator getting his head out of his backside with the playcalling.

Allar will be fine. He had a horrible day but he has a ton of potential. He just needs to learn from this game and plan how to handle similar situations better because Michigan will approach PSU in a similar way.

The question is do the coaches really dig into this with him and turn lemons into lemonade.

That's a ridiculous post..Kid is playing without premier wr's Harrison would make him look like a Heisman contender. We need to fight for the ball. Give the kid a chance.
The kid threw no less than 19 incomplete passes out of 30...that is nearly impossible to do.

Lets hope he proves me wrong
I remember when I opined after WVU game that your offense can’t be a couple of broken plays against a weak defense. Everyone was prepping for Allar’s Heisman.

Not so much anymore!

And I was laughed off board sec

That OSU QB is getting better and better every game - especially in big-pressure packed situations. Have you even watched him this year? Did you watch the last few minutes of the ND-OSU game? He was MONEY
I'm saying if Penn State's quarterback play was merely competent we probably win the game.

Lets hope he proves me wrong
Allar does not suck.....let's be both fair and objective about his performance yesterday.....he sucked in performance. I don't know why, but it was clear to me, and my wife. after the second series, that mentally he was either rushed, stressed or at least uncomfortable with what he was doing....he's 19 years old, playing in front of a hostile 100,000 people. He was missing on his passes, not by inches, but badly, and not just once or twice, but just about every time. He was not comfortable and at that point Franklin should have substituted and let him calm down.
I felt bad for the kid.
But I do think that some of the "blame" (and I'm not a Franklin basher) has to go to the coach. We have two good QBs, different styles of play, that could help provide a "changeup" when needed. I would have pulled Allar for a series or two and tried to settle him down. Now, the staff needs to get into allar's head and somehow put this game behind him.
Allar said it best yesterday "I sucked". He obviously was right. But now he has to look forward to the next games and get to "unsucked" or "nonsucked"

fwiw, I have seen MANY PSU QBs look awful in the Shoe. Very few teams could win there, esp with a line that can't hold the pocket against a 4 man rush and WRs who cannot get separation.

Allar has taken enough college snaps that he should no longer be considered a newbie. He is just too robotic and cannot create plays. He has smith on a slant in Q1 on third down for a TD and throws it into the defender. The good ones find a way to slip that pass in there and not get it blocked.

He gets flushed and rolls left in Q3 and has two receivers open and floats it to the guy who is the worst option of the two.

Let’s face it, he can have the arm and can make some throws, but up till now he has done nothing special on the field in terms of making non- robotic plays when it really matters. He does not show the it factor at all.

Your all wrong James Franklin is the head coach and knows what the game plan is before the game Allar is following what they tell him to do

fwiw, I have seen MANY PSU QBs look awful in the Shoe. Very few teams could win there, esp with a line that can't hold the pocket against a 4 man rush and WRs who cannot get separation.
That was the key to the game which many are missing. There was CONSTANT pressure on Allar the whole game. Yes, he wasn't at his best but that OSU defense played a role in that.

I was reading OSU's Eleven Warriors earlier in the week and many of their fans wanted to ride CJ Stroud out of town after his 1st few games as a starter. How did that work out? All I'm saying is to give the kid a chance.

Oh, and put together a better schedule in the future. To throw a young QB like Allar straight into a game against OSU after the crappy schedule before that just isn't fair to a young QB.

Allar does not suck.....let's be both fair and objective about his performance yesterday.....he sucked in performance. I don't know why, but it was clear to me, and my wife. after the second series, that mentally he was either rushed, stressed or at least uncomfortable with what he was doing....he's 19 years old, playing in front of a hostile 100,000 people. He was missing on his passes, not by inches, but badly, and not just once or twice, but just about every time. He was not comfortable and at that point Franklin should have substituted and let him calm down.
I felt bad for the kid.
But I do think that some of the "blame" (and I'm not a Franklin basher) has to go to the coach. We have two good QBs, different styles of play, that could help provide a "changeup" when needed. I would have pulled Allar for a series or two and tried to settle him down. Now, the staff needs to get into allar's head and somehow put this game behind him.
Allar said it best yesterday "I sucked". He obviously was right. But now he has to look forward to the next games and get to "unsucked" or "nonsucked"
While I agree with you assessment, I think the real issue is "IF" he was as good as he was said to be. Something has happened to him. Or the assessments weren't very good(which of course happens when scouting 17-18 year olds). We can blame everything on something else instead of Allar BUT great players make everyone else better. A bad QB can make everyone else look a lot worse than they are. I hope he improves and this game doesn't kill him mentally.

You all do realize the huge difference between Allar and Clifford is like 6 years of football and life experience???? All of college football went from 24-26 (over a 2-3 year span) year old men being the “new normal” to now reverting back to the reality of “kids” (18-20 year olds) playing college football. Perhaps it’s the fans and coaches who need a wake up call to the reality of what “kids” will do sometimes. It’s the mentors (coaches) responsibility to guide these young men through this time of their life. Not to treat them like a semi-pro football player who is being paid. What NCAA football has turned into is an abomination of what the athletic sport was designed to be. Coaches like Franklin with the “CEO” approach are what is ruining the entire cultural tool for the American youth.

If he would have had the same exact kind of game as the PSU QB as he did yesterday, he would be getting roasted on this board.

This is what I wrote in one of the pre-game threads:

If Yurcich is smart he will have some new stuff but keep it simple for Allar.

We did not see that at the beginning of this game, then a pressure-packed situation was allowed to spiral out of control. I was concerned that this would happen and that's exactly what happened.

This is like the baseball pitcher that starts throwing balls. He starts aiming the ball and soon finds it impossible to throw a strike. Same thing can happen on a golf course putting green. When you play your best you just feel it and play.

It's imperative that coaches understand this and set up the situation so that it can happen. When you don't you get the Morelli's, Hackenberg's, and many other "busts" that should have become superstars. PSU is not the only place where this happens.

Performance ultimately occurs between the ears. If someone can do it but then loses it, then a fair assessment has to look at what got you there. In this case I believe it was all about pressure, which is why the early part of that game was so, so important. Unfortunately, we saw nothing different in terms of preparation.

Those guys make too much money to fail like this.

My response was to a comment that suggesting its all Franklin and not Allar. My point is that Allar's execution was terrible...regardless of the play calling. I also believe the play calling was bad. But Allar is not off the hook here. He was bad!

My response was to a comment that suggesting its all Franklin and not Allar. My point is that Allar's execution was terrible...regardless of the play calling. I also believe the play calling was bad. But Allar is not off the hook here. He was bad!
I’m not saying he wasn’t bad. But, he’s a kid. He’s not a 25 y/o Sean Clifford. He’s a 19 y/o Drew Allar. It’s coaching and teaching that’s responsible for bridging the gap between the two. Allar will learn from it and improve. I’m more concerned with Franklins inability to learn and improve. A decade of data has proven the reality of the Franklin experience. Allar has a future in football as a qb, my concern is it will be wasted under his current leadership.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT