ADVERTISEMENT

All else being equal, who would you prefer as a HC, Franklin or Schiano?

Umm, no blame Dear Old State for those fines pal. Joe followed the law to a T. Penn State decided to blame itself and the program for something that was a second mile and Sandusky issue.
No, Joe did not do what he should have. He passed the buck and walked away. Kids and PSU paid for that.

Great topic, OP.

Schiano is a better GameDay coach and coach overall. But until he actually coaches at an elite program and can recruit high-end kids, then I don't know if we can truly compare. I would think that--like Saban--kids want good coaching more than almost anything else...and Schiano could get high-end recruits...but we haven't seen it yet.

Franklin can get high-end players. His roster has numerous elite players...and top-to-bottom is in tier 2 in all of college football (not top 5...but #6-12 in yearly rankings). He just isn't that great of a coach...and I think that shows with clock management and offensive playcalling ultimately. If he can just allow himself to be a CEO--let Kotelnicki and Diaz be "head coaches of the offense and defense" respectively, then I think Franklin will get to the elite level.

That's why...for all the frustrations of 2017-2023, I still don't see another coaching scenario that I'd prefer. Even Schiano, who IS a better x's and o's coach.

I'm not disagreeing with this either but he gets credit for what he did accomplish at Vandy just like he gets credit for beating every team he should the last 2 years here. 2024 is make or break for him...or would be in the buyout wasn't insane. I think he gets two more years to prove the doubters wrong.
World Wars 1 and 2 were fought and won in less time. He has been on the clock since 2018 meltdown…but thanks to Sandy he is not accountable.

Reactions: 91Joe95
Great topic, OP.

Schiano is a better GameDay coach and coach overall. But until he actually coaches at an elite program and can recruit high-end kids, then I don't know if we can truly compare. I would think that--like Saban--kids want good coaching more than almost anything else...and Schiano could get high-end recruits...but we haven't seen it yet.

Franklin can get high-end players. His roster has numerous elite players...and top-to-bottom is in tier 2 in all of college football (not top 5...but #6-12 in yearly rankings). He just isn't that great of a coach...and I think that shows with clock management and offensive playcalling ultimately. If he can just allow himself to be a CEO--let Kotelnicki and Diaz be "head coaches of the offense and defense" respectively, then I think Franklin will get to the elite level.

That's why...for all the frustrations of 2017-2023, I still don't see another coaching scenario that I'd prefer. Even Schiano, who IS a better x's and o's coach.
Franklin can recruit well enough to be a title contender. Look at Clemson for an example. He is just not that good of a coach. The CEO type of thing could work, but that sort of setup was more likely to work a decade or two ago. Saban should be able to CEO his way now into the playoffs every year. Is he doing that? Nope..... he still coaches. He loses ever good coordinator he has to other head coaching jobs that come up. Even Alabama doesn't have the money to keep them all. It's the nature of the beast (success).

Franklin needs to develop an offensive philosophy that he is willing to own.... hire the best coordinator and coaches he can to implement it, but give them the freedom to run it as they see fit. If they are successful they move on, and Franklin can recruit another coordinator to do the same (with changes year by year to benefit the player skillsets on hand). That is how the big boys do it.

A head coach cannot be a hands-off CEO on the offensive side of the field and be successful anymore. Defense maybe.

They did? It was all expunged.

Don’t you have playoff football to prepare for? Whoops?!
Nothing was "expunged" as your President, AD and VP went to jail and Paterno was fired in disgrace. I have no football to prepare for.

Should I post the mugshots of Curley, Spanier and Schultz?

Take a read . It'll help you grow in this.
I know the totality of civil processes and their outcomes. You cherry pick as one would expect a childish troll to do. I was a member of the Second Mile and know the details from the begining to the end. Including Gicar's exoneration of Sandusky with the switcheroo of a legit psychologist with a Second Mile shrink. So, you can Curley, Larry and Moe all you want. So... Go Whack your mole... Troll!

I know the totality of civil processes and their outcomes.
Good, then you know legal blame was proven.
You cherry pick as one would expect a childish troll to do.
What did I leave out?
I was a member of the Second Mile and know the details from the begining to the end.
Interested in your take them
Including Gicar's exoneration of Sandusky
There was no exoneration just a refusal by Gricar, an elected official, to charge a local legend based on a single report
with the switcheroo of a legit psychologist with a Second Mile shrink.
By legit psychologist you mean Alycia Chambers? Who reported in writing to PSU that she believed Sandusky to be a pedophile in 1998?
So, you can Curley, Larry and Moe all you want. So... Go Whack your mole... Troll!
Well the defenses raised by CSS and Joe would make those guys laugh.

This has been an issue that has never been resolved at psu and it holds us back. At some point both sides need to let go of the past. Joe built an unbelievable program but he isn’t walking back through the doors to relentlessly tear down our coach does zero good. Franklin isn’t going anywhere unless he wants to leave. But that’s football now. The under current is that Ryan day is doing everything he can to get out of osu and get to the nfl. That’s modern day football

Good, then you know legal blame was proven.

What did I leave out?

Interested in your take them

There was no exoneration just a refusal by Gricar, an elected official, to charge a local legend based on a single report

By legit psychologist you mean Alycia Chambers? Who reported in writing to PSU that she believed Sandusky to be a pedophile in 1998?

Well the defenses raised by CSS and Joe would make those guys laugh.

You really like to double down on your stupidity.

This has been an issue that has never been resolved at psu and it holds us back. At some point both sides need to let go of the past. Joe built an unbelievable program but he isn’t walking back through the doors to relentlessly tear down our coach does zero good. Franklin isn’t going anywhere unless he wants to leave. But that’s football now. The under current is that Ryan day is doing everything he can to get out of osu and get to the nfl. That’s modern day football
Day would be wise to get out of college football. It is much more demanding than the nfl from the rigors of recruiting to unregulated NIL.

Everything related to the football program was expunged. Paterno’s wins restored.

Get ready for Georgia skippy.
PSU paid 60 million dollars in fines and was sanctioned by the Department of Education. Your President, Vice President and Athletic Director (related to the football program) went to jail for endangering children. Your FOOTBALL coach was fired in disgrace. Hardly was anything “expunged” Lol. I can post their mug shots if you wish. What does Georgia have to do with this? The crimes occurred in Pennsylvania?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT