ADVERTISEMENT

All else being equal, who would you prefer as a HC, Franklin or Schiano?

That's because Franklin's strength is in the areas specific to college football: recruiting, program building, working with young people, among others. He's not a great X's and O's guy. O'Brien was great with offensive tactics (though his teams didn't have great defenses), but he was not good at the college football stuff.

It is rare for college football coaching skills to translate to the NFL. The best positive example I can think of is Jimmy Johnson who was a workaholic, a fantastic evaluator of talent (which helped him build a solid Cowboys D even though most of the stars of the team were offenses), and had an ability to discipline professional athletes.

I don't know what Schiano's strengths are as a coach, except he has enough tactical acumen to do more with less, and is developing a culture at Rutgers. Not bad at all, but I don't think he's light years ahead of Franklin.
Finally an intelligent post Thank you

Reactions: OzLion
I view this entire thread as less about Shiano and more about Franklin. Franklin has major flaws as a head coach. For those foolish enough to bring Paterno into this, all I can say is give Paterno the same class sizes that Franklin has and he'd smoke Franklin's teams and still be at the top of the Big 10 as he was when he left with smaller recruiting classes.

Last edited:
I view this entire thread as less about Shiano and more about Franklin. Franklin has major flaws as a head coach. For those foolish enough to bring Paterno into this, all I can say is give Paterno the same class sizes that Franklin has and he'd smoke Franklin's teams and still be at the top of the Big 10 as he was when he left with smaller recruiting classes.
1982 Paterno or 2003 Paterno?

Reactions: LMTLION
I love you guys constantly taking shots at Joe meanwhile the stadium, fanbase, and tradition was all built by Joe. Smh

Joe flushed that all down the toilet plus 250 million in fines.

You take shots at all coaches not names joe. 10-2 is no longer good enough for you. Suddenly the success with honor bs no longer applies and it is win a national championship or bust. Empty the jails and win.

Reactions: Chickenman Testa
"All else being equal". Let them trade schools, facilities, and fans. How do you rate Franklin the offensive mind compared to Schiano the defensive mind?
We could say the same about Franklin and Saban or Kirby smart? Do you think Franklin would benefit if his recruiting budget was tripled and his assistant coach budget increased?

How do you think joe would have done at Rutgers?

You take shots at all coaches not names joe. 10-2 is no longer good enough for you. Suddenly the success with honor bs no longer applies and it is win a national championship or bust. Empty the jails and win.
Umm, no blame Dear Old State for those fines pal. Joe followed the law to a T. Penn State decided to blame itself and the program for something that was a second mile and Sandusky issue.

Aren't you guys always telling us the acc is inferior?

Didn't brohm lose to narduzzi? Any top 10 wins? Isn't that your metric?
He beat #2 Ohio State while at Purdue, right? And #2 Iowa on the road....and #3 Michigan State at home.
Regardless, I was just answering your question

Umm, no blame Dear Old State for those fines pal. Joe followed the law to a T. Penn State decided to blame itself and the program for something that was a second mile and Sandusky issue.

Joe gave Sandusky the keys to the showers. Joe followed the law? No. He followed school policies. Those policies have since been changed. Joe screwed up. All they had to do was pass the buck and have mcquery tell the police whatever her saw. At that point everyone at psu was off the hook.

He beat #2 Ohio State while at Purdue, right? And #2 Iowa on the road....and #3 Michigan State at home.
Regardless, I was just answering your question
#2 Iowa. No. They did not finish #2. Use the same metrics you use for Franklin.

#2 Iowa. No. They did not finish #2. Use the same metrics you use for Franklin.
Iowa was #2 at the time--would Franklin have won that game?
Ohio State and Michigan State--both top 10 teams while at PURDUE...ignore Iowa all you want.
You asked a stupid question

Reactions: hoflane
Joe gave Sandusky the keys to the showers. Joe followed the law? No. He followed school policies. Those policies have since been changed. Joe screwed up. All they had to do was pass the buck and have mcquery tell the police whatever her saw. At that point everyone at psu was off the hook.
No. Penn State gave Jerry the keys. And I'm not arguing this shit again. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Reactions: hoflane
Did anyone care about equal resources when Joe was coaching? Did army, navy, air force, Syracuse, bc, Pitt, Rutgers, wvu, temple and ,maryland have equal resources?

When Joe started Pennsylvania was producing twice as much talent. The NCAA did not have scholarship limits. Big schools could sign 100+ scholarship players. More talent for the blue bloods and less talent for everyone else.

Iowa was #2 at the time--would Franklin have won that game?
Ohio State and Michigan State--both top 10 teams while at PURDUE...ignore Iowa all you want.
You asked a stupid question

That is not the same metric. Franklin has beaten top 10 teams who were then knocked out of the top ten. Once that team is out of the top ten the naysayers no longer count those wins for Franklin. Be consistent. Use the same metrics.

Iowa would be top 10 right now if psu and Franklin did not mop the floor with them.

That is not the same metric. Franklin has beaten top 10 teams who were then knocked out of the top ten. Once that team is out of the top ten the naysayers no longer count those wins for Franklin. Be consistent. Use the same metrics.

Iowa would be top 10 right now if psu and Franklin did not mop the floor with them.
So ignore Iowa and see the other two while coaching Perdue. The expectation there is different hence metrics would be.

Suggest help.

Reactions: KCLion
So ignore Iowa and see the other two while coaching Perdue. The expectation there is different hence metrics would be.

Sure. How about you also factor in all the bad losses. Multiple losses to Rutgers and northwestern. Lost to eastern Michigan. 36-35 record at Purdue with 0 wins vs OSU.

That's because Franklin's strength is in the areas specific to college football: recruiting, program building, working with young people, among others. He's not a great X's and O's guy. O'Brien was great with offensive tactics (though his teams didn't have great defenses), but he was not good at the college football stuff.

It is rare for college football coaching skills to translate to the NFL. The best positive example I can think of is Jimmy Johnson who was a workaholic, a fantastic evaluator of talent (which helped him build a solid Cowboys D even though most of the stars of the team were offenses), and had an ability to discipline professional athletes.

I don't know what Schiano's strengths are as a coach, except he has enough tactical acumen to do more with less, and is developing a culture at Rutgers. Not bad at all, but I don't think he's light years ahead of Franklin.
Well I ain’t interested in hiring a coach who chooses to run out the clock while on offense with almost 4 minutes left in the game while down 27-6. What kind of message does that send to his players. No thanks.

Iowa and Michigan State had inferior talent in 2021
Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska and Maryland in 2020
Minnesota in 2019
Michigan State in 2018 (which was pathetic)
Michigan State in 2017

He was good for a bad loss a year (or more)

Name a coach that does not have a bad loss a year and wants this job. Joe was good for one loss a year vs Iowa. Who was the inferior team that beat psu this year?

Hey clown. Try to get your facts straight. Sandusky was given access to PSU facilities by the administrators who negotiated his retirement package. Paterno was asked to comment on the package and commented in writing (you can find it in an appendix to the Freeh report) that he would be okay with Sandusky having access to PSU facilities but not with him bringing Second Mike kids on campus. Paterno followed not only school policy by reporting to his boss whatever McQueary told him and they stayed out of the investigation but that was the same policy the NCAA implemented a few months after it punished PSU without jurisdiction to do so.
McQueary spoke with his father, a physician familiar with the obligations to report suspected child abuse, and refused to tell him that he had seen sexual abuse despite being asked if he had 3 times. Under Pennsylvania law the person obligated to report suspected abuse to DPW, not the police, was the person in charge which in this case was Spanier.

Sure. How about you also factor in all the bad losses. Multiple losses to Rutgers and northwestern. Lost to eastern Michigan. 36-35 record at Purdue with 0 wins vs OSU.
At Purdue. Of course...he has bad losses there and a bad loss this year. Never disputed that but the question is can he take a good/great program to the next level. Having beat top teams it's possible. Not saying hire him but he's shown flashes AT PURDUE.

Name a coach that does not have a bad loss a year and wants this job. Joe was good for one loss a year vs Iowa. Who was the inferior team that beat psu this year?
Why are you talking about Joe? Paterno shouldn't have been here at that stage of his career.

No one this year or last year and I've praised Franklin for that. Next year is when he has to take a step forward. I'm not saying fire him now. I'm saying that has to change. We all should acknowledge that.

I think Rutgers could have won if Schiano would have let the QB throw on first and second down instead of running for no gain. Their QB was actually very accurate and the WR were schemed to be wide open.

You seem to forget Joe did not want Sandusky in the Facilities after he was let go. The university forced his hand in with giving access. Get your facts right.

Reactions: hoflane and Yanks49
These hypothetical discussions are getting tiring. I would prefer a lot of coaches over Franklin because I think there are a lot of coaches that would be an upgrade on day one. It doesn't matter because we are stuck with him for three to four more years due to Sandy's (and her enablers on the board) incompetence. Franklin's contract is just has damaging to the athletic department as the stadium deal she left Cal with. Franklin is not good enough to get over the hump at Penn State or likely anywhere else either. However, we can win with him if Kraft takes control and brings in the right person to oversee all hiring, including the offensive coordinator, ensures Franklin stays out of that side of the ball going forward and ensures the coordinators have a say in game day decisions such as blowing the opportunity to kick an onside kick to put us within 8 and a small chance of winning at the end of the game. Franklin is an impulsive child. He needs a grown up to guide him. Kraft has to be the grown up. If it makes him mad and he leaves for another school, to be it. We will be out of his contract and we will be better for it. It is all on Kraft now. Franklin needs help, give it to him because he won't help himself.

You seem to forget Joe did not want Sandusky in the Facilities after he was let go. The university forced his hand in with giving access. Get your facts right.
Well that would be even better but that’s not what I recall about his handwritten notes in the Appendix but I will look.

Well that would be even better but that’s not what I recall about his handwritten notes in the Appendix but I will look.
I checked. Paterno’s specific comment next to the typewritten provision that would grant Sandusky access to training room and equipment was “Is this for his personal use or Second Mile kids—no to Second Mile kids liability issues”. If Joe didn’t want Sandusky to have access to PSU facilities he sure didn’t say do there. But thanks for “correcting me”.

Syracuse head coach just fired. He coached Jimmy Garapolo and was OC during the high flying Baylor years. He’s been HC at bowling green and eastern Michigan before Syracuse

His teams always had that start like a Lion end like a lamb vibe. If he’s smart he’ll attend the Nick Saban’s master class on coaching redemption and rehabilitation.

Why are you talking about Joe? Paterno shouldn't have been here at that stage of his career.

No one this year or last year and I've praised Franklin for that. Next year is when he has to take a step forward. I'm not saying fire him now. I'm saying that has to change. We all should acknowledge that.

Why. Because most of the posters expect Franklin to be joe. It is dumb. Nobody will be joe. Saban would not be joe and they would complain about Saban too. Saban in the b10 actually has a worse record than Franklin. Saban and dabo have bad losses too. The joebots wont be happy until joes corpse is propped up in the sidelines. #WeekendAtBernies

Reactions: LMTLION
Why. Because most of the posters expect Franklin to be joe. It is dumb. Nobody will be joe. Saban would not be joe and they would complain about Saban too. Saban in the b10 actually has a worse record than Franklin. Saban and dabo have bad losses too. The joebots wont be happy until joes corpse is propped up in the sidelines. #WeekendAtBernies

People don't expect Franklin to be Joe. People expect Franklin to be smart enough to not go for it on 4th and 1 in his own territory. Or go for 2 in the 1st half. Or...

Don't be daft.

Joe wanted Sandusky out of football facilities.
See my other post. No bigger defender of Joe being scapegoated than me. But when asked for his comments on the retirement package he simply didn’t say that. I realize that those comments were made at Sandusky’s retirement and well before the his arrest so maybe he said something afterwards about not wanting Sandusky having access to the facilities and would be happy to see documentation that he did so. In any event if the administration would have heeded Joe’s recommendation when Sandusky retired about no Second Mile kids on campus none of this would have happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT