ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Facundo - Commits

Isn't Cruz out of the picture, too? we really do need a 126 croot of some stature. Unless we wait for Mcgowan.

Nobody really knows who the favorite is, but he's down to Arizona State, Michigan, Ohio State, and Penn State. He has taken officials to the first 3, but wasn't able to squeeze in PSU before his season started, and since then officials haven't been allowed.

FWIW, I'm cautiously optimistic about PSU's chances:
- Figs has yet to re-commit to ASU or commit to Michigan or anOSU.
- At Michigan he'd have near-complete overlap with Kurt McHenry -- one of them would have to go 133, and neither seems likely.
- Same with Ohio State -- Tan Tom recently landed Andre Gonzales (#1 nationally at 113, also 2021). Gonzales is too good to sit but doesn't prevent landing Figs -- an interesting pickup if Ryan felt good about Figs.
- PSU has the best training partners: Gilman, Howard, RBY, Bartlett, etc.
- Cael.

One big hitch: the recruiting dead period has been extended until Jan 1 -- he can't take an official until well after NLI Week in November. He could take an unofficial -- at his own expense, and getting there from Los Angeles isn't like Van Ness driving on I-80. Would he sign with PSU without visiting? Would he really wait until March/April to sign somewhere?

Thanks @El-Jefe. I’m picturing a recruiting Zoom call with Figs 😃

Reactions: El-Jefe
Isn't Cruz out of the picture, too? we really do need a 126 croot of some stature. Unless we wait for Mcgowan.
Cruz is uncommitted and has yet to release a finalist list.

Flo's "who Fresno State should contact" article named Cruz, and said PSU and OKST were also after him.

I was thinking of Mendez then.
That makes more sense -- PSU did not make his list of 9 schools. But he's already at 138, so barring amputation he's not a factor at 125.

To your earlier point: if we don't get Figs or Cruz, then McGowan is the next guy at that level -- though he's just a SO, so projecting his college weight is still a crapshoot. Kasak and Church are both going 120, so they'll likely outgrow 125. Or maybe someone else will emerge.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Maybe we can get Steen to flip after Keith Gavin wrestles the 8man bracket

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT