ADVERTISEMENT

AKB: Nantucket in June...Thanks Everyone! Trip summary for anyone interested...

Midnighter2

Jan 21, 2021
Doing a weekend in Nantucket in June to celebrate my daughter’s birthday. We’re staying in a hotel/resort and plan to leave the car off the island. There is a lot to do at our hotel (pools, kids club, restaurants, etc.) but looking for any other cool/fun things to do, or places to eat, with small kids.

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: NedFromYork
To do:

1. Whaling Museum
2. the lighthouses at Great Point and Brant Point. Pretty modest when compared to Portland Head or Nubble, but you're there.
3. clothes shopping or browsing at Murray's Toggery, where The Official Preppy Handbook comes alive.

Not for the kids, but Cisco Brewery is a fun spot to grab some drinks. They have corn hole, food trucks, live music at times, etc.
You might want to check out Loines Observatory, the have star gazing shows I believe. Not sure with covid...

Reactions: Midnighter2
Doing a weekend in Nantucket in June to celebrate my daughter’s birthday. We’re staying in a hotel/resort and plan to leave the car off the island. There is a lot to do at our hotel (pools, kids club, restaurants, etc.) but looking for any other cool/fun things to do, or places to eat, with small kids.

Thanks in advance!

My family has had a house there since the 70s ... Not sure of status due to Covid but rent a jeep to drive on the sand out to Great Point Lighthouse. Also the whaling museum is awesome for adults and kids ... highly recommended ... in lieu of a bunch of typing here is a link of a bunch of places to visit I would call ahead to see hours due to Covid. If you have any other questions let me know I will be glad to help. I have gone there via plane, car ferry, fast ferry so if you any questions let me know on that as well. June can still be chilly there or hot so bring a little if both clothes. Obviously the ocean will be chilly as well. It's a fantastic place and one place I go to retreat and unwind. Main street on town is a great place. The beaches are great like Surfside and Jetties ... Enjoy our island you will love it and most likely want to go back again and again
https://vacationidea.com/islands/best-things-to-do-on-nantucket.html

Yeah - Cisco also does Notch - which is of course a portmanteau of “Not Scotch”. It has pretty good reviews, so try to grab a cheap dram. Bottle goes for like $300.
Flying Horses Carousel on Martha’s Vineyard would be fun

We stayed at the Cliffside Beach resort, Awsome! Rented bikes and saw most of the island.. Great place since the Libs
are over on the Vineyard!

Juice Bar for ice cream in the evening. Crantucket is my favorite. Cru restaurant, on Straight wharf, has outdoor seating and you can take the kids to see mega yachts that are docked there.

Get a helicopter ride from this pilot.....

26da648f727261f2cdcf1111df6009b4--wings.jpg

Thanks in advance!
Is Nantucket still above sea level? I thought it’s days were numbered? 😈

Thanks in advance!

Stop in Murry's Toggery and buy a pair of JVP's whale pants. They sell them there

I haven't been there in several years, but Brotherhood of Thieves was my favorite. Sadly, you'll miss the bay scallop season which runs Nov-March. I liked Cisco Brewery & Triple Eight Distillery which are both run by the winery.

Renting a bike is a great way to see the island.

My Navy OCS class cruised from Newport, RI to Nantucket one weekend. That's when we learned what "being in the trough" was all about. One of my classmates was stationed at a NAVFAC on Nantucket for his entire tour. Tough duty.

If staying in Falmouth, which ferry service for a day trip to Nantucket?

First day in Nantucket and our hotel driver just finished his (first) year at Wisconsin. He’s from Boston (parents have a house on ‘the Vineyard’). I make a joke about the upcoming football game and he’s oblivious (though polite - after a dazed look for a second or two says ‘ah yeah, gonna be a good game - we’ll probably lose’). Are college kids not into football/sports as much anymore?

Pretty nice here the architectural/aesthetic uniformity notwithstanding. Hear it will get bonkers beginning next weekend.

First day in Nantucket and our hotel driver just finished his (first) year at Wisconsin. He’s from Boston (parents have a house on ‘the Vineyard’). I make a joke about the upcoming football game and he’s oblivious (though polite - after a dazed look for a second or two says ‘ah yeah, gonna be a good game - we’ll probably lose’). Are college kids not into football/sports as much anymore?

Pretty nice here the architectural/aesthetic uniformity notwithstanding. Hear it will get bonkers beginning next weekend.

It gets bonkers there in the summer period, especially the 3 holidays. Memorial Day is nuts with Figawi the weekend sailboat race from Hyannis to the Vineyard to Nantucket back to Hyannis. The architecture is beautiful and if you get a chance go up in the church steeple tower and get a great look of the harbor and buildings/homes

As it has always been, it depends on the kid. I came to PSU in 1990 and stayed on as an employee. I've met many students that have no interest in sports or only go to games or watch games for the social aspect. The world is not a reflection of a sports message board.

https://nantucketlobstertrap.com/ Scallops, baby, scallops.

I used to love Brotherhood of Thieves, but heard that they closed recently.

As it has always been, it depends on the kid. I came to PSU in 1990 and stayed on as an employee. I've met many students that have no interest in sports or only go to games or watch games for the social aspect. The world is not a reflection of a sports message board.

Not sure if closed yet... the renter (owner of thieves) and the family who own the building are in disagreement over rent hike. They are trying to work it but the family doesn't want to back down on their rent increase demands (which was crazy during covid) there is no way the brotherhood can make money and will have to close or move to another location

It gets bonkers there in the summer period, especially the 3 holidays. Memorial Day is nuts with Figawi the weekend sailboat race from Hyannis to the Vineyard to Nantucket back to Hyannis. The architecture is beautiful and if you get a chance go up in the church steeple tower and get a great look of the harbor and buildings/homes

Lots of gray…

Reactions: bwifan

Ha! Dinner there tonight! Was saving my lobster roll experience for then, but it scallops are the go to there I’ll have a roll for lunch today…

Ha! Dinner there tonight! Was saving my lobster roll experience for then, but it scallops are the go to there I’ll have a roll for lunch today…

You are making me hungry! The best is in the fall you walk down to the wharfs and the scallop fisherman are coming in and you buy the fresh scallops right off the boat from them. Harvested an hour earlier and take them home throw them in a skillet with white wine or butter and a bit of garlic ... delicious... scallop fisherman will usually crack a few scallops and have a raw one with you if you buy them directly from them. Raw ones melt like butter in your mouth... simply outstanding

Last edited:
Enjoy our island. It's a very cool place with lots of history. If you have any other questions reach out I will be glad to help in any way I can.
I'm very jealous. I've been there four times and if I won the lottery today, I'd be moving there tomorrow. First time I was there was for Spring Break. We left the car on the Cape and rented bikes while we were there. Our first morning there we were walking along the docks and followed a guy that had loaded a couple of coolers of fish fresh off the boat to his restaurant. That's how we discovered The Brotherhood. They used to have broiled sea scallops with orange zest that is still one of the best things I have ever eaten.

On a side note, given the price of real estate there, I honestly don't see how regular folks can afford to live there year round.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT