ADVERTISEMENT

For the Ohio State game - some Columbus suggestions

MarkPSU

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Here's some info on Columbus I hope you find useful in planning your trip for the game.

Where to stay

First of all, there really isn’t anywhere in Columbus that you can’t get to within 20 minutes. I’m not a big fan of staying near OSU…not a lot around there really other than college bars and many of the other areas offer so much more in terms of food and drink...other than the Grandview area. As for specific hotels, it's easy enough to do a google search for a specific area. If you have any questions about a particular hotel or area, please reach out to me.....or anyone else from the area that's on this board. Here are a few places I would recommend:

1. Easton – just tons to do there in terms of outdoor shopping, bars, restaurants. There’s just such a wide variety of places to check out, from Smith and Wolensky and Ocean Club on the pricey side to dozens of smaller, more casual places. Easton is a great place to shop, eat, and people watch.

2. Crosswoods – plenty of inexpensive hotels and a handful of decent restaurants with quick access to 315, where OSU is.

3. Polaris – same as Crosswoods but further out off 71 north of 270. Nicer hotels and restaurants. Mitchells Steak House, Eddie Merlots to bar type food like BJ’s and Quaker Steak. Also great shopping at Polaris. Claudiana’s (on Sancus Blvd off Polaris) is a neat little family Italian place I like.

4. Downtown near the Arena District. Hyatt Regency or a neat little boutique hotel La Meridian The Joseph on high street just at the start of the Short North. Easy access to OSU and tons to do in the Arena and Short North areas. Good area to stay and just walk to everything.

Things to do:

The Columbus Zoo – one of the best in the country.

The Columbus Blue Jackets play Friday night against Winnepeg. Grab some dinner at one of the many bars in the area, catch the game, and hit some of the other bars nearby. Too many to mention.

Microbreweries and such:

I highly recommend Rockmill Tavern on Front Street in the Brewery District, which is a couple blocks south of downtown. Great food, atmosphere and beer. Reservations are a must.

Head up 4th street from downtown:

Wolf’s Ridge Brewery – a fabulous restaurant out front and tap room in the back. Great food and I personally like their beers. This and Rockmill are my top two choices.

Also on 4th street heading north – Elevator Brewery, Hoof Hearted Brewery, and Seventh Son Brewery. And on 4th street is one of my favorite restaurants, Cosecha Cantina. Great indoor and outdoor space and kind of contemporary Mexican small plates. The food is excellent and is a happening place to hangout, particularly for the 20-30’s crowd. Happy hour for Friday afternoon or lunch Saturday before the game.

The Arena District:

Great hang out place for the younger crowd. There are so many little bars and restaurants in the area. Gordon Biersch – I do like their beers, but it’s more restaurant than bar. Barleys – which is also a microbrew and restaurant. It’s on high street. Martini’s Italian on High Street is very good…more white tablecloth type place across from the convention center.

Short North:

Basically starts at the Arena District heading north on High St. On the cap is Hyde Park Steak House – excellent. Just up the street is The Guild House (associated with The Joseph Hotel) Also excellent. But, you can walk for blocks and have your choice of bars and restaurants, one after the other. The Pearl is very good, more casual…as is Marcella’s, Hubbards, Bakersfield.

Grandview

Nice cluster of places on Grandview Ave. off 5th…not far from OSU. The star of the area…and hard to find, is Watershed Kitchen. It’s one of the hottest new places in C-bus and I highly recommend it. Reservations well in advance needed. On Grandview there’s casual like Matt the Millers to more upscale like Z Cucina.

Powell:

I like Powell because there are 5 brew-pub type places all within walking distance. Each has good food and carry a nice variety of microbrews. Prohibition ( like their happy hour) and Kraft House on one side……Local Roots and Liberty Tavern on the other. Around the corner is Gallo’s, which is a pretty decent sports bar. Powell is straight up 315 north of 270.

High End Restaurants:

Looking to indulge and see what Columbus has to offer? My personal picks would be:

The Refectory – High end service , atmosphere and experience, fantastic wine list, French food. My personal favorite for a special night where you want to relax and take your time. Everything they present is a work of art.

“M” – at Miranova downtown. More contemporary vibe than The Refectory. The see and be seen crowd.

Guild House and Hyde Park – short north area

Lindey’s and Barcelona in the German Village area – both have great outdoor seating if weather permits end of Oct. Regardless, both are great restaurants.

Breakfast

If you want something different from your hotel’s continental or Bob Evans, here are a few suggestions:

Fox in the Snow on 4th Street – more bakery and pastries, limited savory options, but a great breakfast sandwich.

Superchefs downtown – massive, funky food…like The Hulk breakfast sandwich.

Tasi – short north area.

101 Beer Kitchen’s brunch on Sunday – Sawmill Parkway Dublin or Polaris Parkway East of 270

Katalina’s on 3rd Ave. - one of my personal favorites.

Northstar Café on High Street

The Angry Baker – Olde Town East

Hope this helps. From a personal favorite standpoint, I would hit Rockmill Tavern, Wolf’s Ridge, Cosecha Cantina……all of which are a short drive from each other and hang in the Arena District or Short North. You can get a cheap hotel anywhere and get to the game in 20 minutes.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Mrs KG and I like Polaris Grill a lot. Just off I-71 at the Polaris exit. Worthington has some nice places, including the Worthington Inn, Whitney House, and Harold's American Grille. J Gilbert's in Crosswoods is good as well. You also won't go wrong at any of the Cameron Mitchell empire places....

Nicely done.

I also agree with Wolf's Ridge Brewery has a great food menu. The "Clear Sky Daybreak" is an incredible beer.

Mechanical Pins is a good downtown bar (duckpin bowling and pinball).
The Pearl restaurant in the Short North district.

Staying with my PSU sister and her OSU family in Powell. My brother, sister and I will be easy to spot in that sea of red...we'll be representing in white.

You went a different way with this than I thought when I read the thread title. I was going to suggest bringing water balloons filled with ..

A couple more to add according to my daughter who did an internship in Columbus
- Condado's tacos on High St near university. Inexpensive and very good.
- Melt near Easton Mall.

Zoo is must ... the cheetah run is awesome.

As the board's resident craft beer expert, I will point out that the best microbrewery in Columbus is "hoof hearted".

A couple more to add according to my daughter who did an internship in Columbus
- Condado's tacos on High St near university. Inexpensive and very good.
- Melt near Easton Mall.

Zoo is must ... the cheetah run is awesome.
Condado's also has a place or two elsewhere in town--one is by Columbus Commons on High St (where the old dowtown mall was). Mrs KG and I ate there after a Blue Jackets event a couple of weeks ago. It's a little odd (it's a build you own tacos place--from a menu pad not a "taco bar") and probably musicwise etc. a bit for a younger crowd. But the food and drinks are good.

I will echo the zoo. One of the best in the country--and we've been to a lot (Mrs. KG is an elephant enthusiast). Have not yet seen the cheetah run in action. Note that it may be closed by the time the game takes place as the Heart of Africa section (a very good mixed species exhibit--though Dallas Zoo's is better) is closed in the "winter".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT