ADVERTISEMENT

After spring game, early predictions for season

Nearly everyone, including The Little Sisters of the Poor, could contend for the Almost Competitive Conference Coastal division.
It's clearly the weaker of the 2 divisions, but Miami and North Carolina will be good football teams this fall and VTech is always tough.

You guys are being trolled.

Lionrevival Prep
I based it on Franklin being a general idiot that has messed up 80 percent of everything else.

Lionrevival Prep
The we r better bullshit is just childish. Franklin put a target on his back and he is getting exposed in the home stretch. Still a good class but nothing like it was at it's peak.

Lionrevival Prep
Stars matter, meaning higher ranking classes are obviously for the best, but really more so for the elite programs. For programs like psu, Wisconsin, Pitt, etc, getting good players that fit a system is what matters. Have the 18th ranked class doesn't mean much if the team with the 29th ranked class has a head coach that can actually coach and lead and consistently has better results on the field.

Lionrevival Prep
Anyone with a tad bit of college football watching experience understands that Franklin is not meant for the head coaching job.
After the Sandusky/parerno/etc era, having a barely over .500 program should be the least of our worries.

Lionrevival Prep
We just lost several commitments in the last few weeks and failed to replace with better players. After the Hudson and Hamlin debacle I feel quite justified and saying that Franklin is sinking the ship.

Lionrevival Prep
New I just wanted to say that if you analyze the PSU class vs the Pitt class I feel you guys edged us by a hair or two. Going head-to-head with Narduzzi is a very humbling experience.
This board is awash with trolls. Some you know, some you suspect, some you discover over time. I should simply not respond to anyone who posts idiotic comments, whether they are trolls or just our home grown idiots.

Reactions: StinkStankStunk
It's clearly the weaker of the 2 divisions, but Miami and North Carolina will be good football teams this fall and VTech is always tough.
VT was surprisingly weak the past few years and with a new head coach we'll have to see how that pans out. I look for Miami to be improved and UNC should be good. I see Pitt as third best in that division. GT really fell off last year from the previous year.

Fair minded fans can make an argument that we are better than they are. Most would say the teams are close. To say Pitt sucks is absurd. I'll leave it at that.

Well maybe sucks is the wrong word. But maybe it isn't. I see us as top 30 team. I see Pitt as top 50 team. Depends on your definition of what sucks is. I'm gonna error on the pitt sucks side. You good with that?

I would say Penn State's talent will slowly begin to pass them this year. Last year, I felt the upper class talent on Penn State and Pitt's roster were fairly equal, but Penn State's Freshman and Sophomore's were much more talented. I don't agree that Pitt would have beaten Penn State last year. I think that game would have been a toss up. I think the changes made on the offensive side of the ball as well as the more talented roster creeping into the upper classes helps Penn State and gives them the edge. That being said, anything can happen in a Rivalry game and this game means everything to Pitt.

I think this team has the potential to turn the corner this year much like the 2005 team(I'm not saying 11 wins). I am simply saying some years things just begin to click and turn around when average seasons are predicted (See Iowa last year). Many thought Ferenz would be fired and instead he is in the B1G title game. I think this team has the potential to lose to any of Pitt, OSU, MSU, Mich, or IOWA, but for the first time in a long time I also think they have the potential to surprise 2 or 3 of them.

Good post. I also think the game is huge for Terry Smith and Franklin. These two butt heads in the WPIAL and the two staffs do troll eachother on occation. Pitt really doesnt go after our 4 and 5 star targots outside of the WPIAL so to me beating Michigan or OSU is where we need to be. Beating Pitt is perception and I know my posse expects a big win over Pitt. So it does mean something for sure to a lot of western pa grads.

After the Pitt game we will know what kind of team we have. It's, once again all about the OL. The schedule is really not that hard for a "pre -sanction" team. We are still a couple of years away, especially the OL. Iowa will not be very good nor will MSU, both were senior laden teams and will be decent as I think we will be. Michigan will be about the same as last year. OSU will be a tad down. As for the other teams on the schedule we "should" beat them. But NONE of our games are a given. We just are not that good yet.
We could go 10-2 or 7-5 ??? Wait for the Pitt game to form a better opinion.

Lionrevival Prep
I based it on Franklin being a general idiot that has messed up 80 percent of everything else.

Lionrevival Prep
The we r better bullshit is just childish. Franklin put a target on his back and he is getting exposed in the home stretch. Still a good class but nothing like it was at it's peak.

Lionrevival Prep
Stars matter, meaning higher ranking classes are obviously for the best, but really more so for the elite programs. For programs like psu, Wisconsin, Pitt, etc, getting good players that fit a system is what matters. Have the 18th ranked class doesn't mean much if the team with the 29th ranked class has a head coach that can actually coach and lead and consistently has better results on the field.

Lionrevival Prep
Anyone with a tad bit of college football watching experience understands that Franklin is not meant for the head coaching job.
After the Sandusky/parerno/etc era, having a barely over .500 program should be the least of our worries.

Lionrevival Prep
We just lost several commitments in the last few weeks and failed to replace with better players. After the Hudson and Hamlin debacle I feel quite justified and saying that Franklin is sinking the ship.

Lionrevival Prep
New I just wanted to say that if you analyze the PSU class vs the Pitt class I feel you guys edged us by a hair or two. Going head-to-head with Narduzzi is a very humbling experience.
Excellent use of the Search function. I learned something new today about our friend michnittlion using the same feature.

I think the team will surprise people this fall. With our offensive skill set and improved punting and oline, we should be able to go 10-2. But after watching the last game of season (MSU), which was awful defense, probably 9-3.

Good post. I also think the game is huge for Terry Smith and Franklin. These two butt heads in the WPIAL and the two staffs do troll eachother on occation. Pitt really doesnt go after our 4 and 5 star targots outside of the WPIAL so to me beating Michigan or OSU is where we need to be. Beating Pitt is perception and I know my posse expects a big win over Pitt. So it does mean something for sure to a lot of western pa grads.
Your "posse"?

Your "POSSE"? Seriously?

Last year's team won 7 with an absolutely awful offense. So I don't think 8 wins is unreasonable if PSU manages to field just an average Big Ten offense. If they are better than average offensively, 9 wins is possible.

We know speed matters and the team has speed. There is NFL talent at receiver and running back.

But most important, experience is everything with college football. Godwin and Gesicki will be in their third years. McSorley's a new starter, but the guy is also a junior who has been around and had time to mature.

Barkley will be in his 2nd year as a starter and Robinson will be a redshirt freshman who knows the defense well. Polk and Thompkins will be in their second years.

And the line will have some guys who have played some football in the Big Ten and won't be so easily fooled by defensive stunts.

Reactions: PennState_one

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

Of all the stupidity written in these posts, the last one brings new meaning to the word stupid. Both classes have been analyzed by experts that know way more than Lionrevival and PSU's class was ranked higher. What an idiot.

Tough schedule (Pitt, OSU, Michigan, Iowa, MSU). I'd be interested to see an analysis of Pitt, Iowa, and MSU. Are they really better than PSU?

Pitt game is pivotal because I don't think PSU is good enough to make up for that loss by beating Michigan or OSU.

Last 4 recruiting classes:
Pitt: 35th, 44th, 66th, 30th
PSU: 43rd, 24th, 15th, 22nd

So why is Pitt the better team?
QB: Pitt slightly better
OL: Pitt much better
RB: PSU much better
TE: PSU slightly better
WR: PSU much better
DL: Pitt slightly better
LB: PSU slightly better
DB: Even

Why shouldn't PSU win this game? IMO the only reason is if our DL can't hold up to Pitt's OL. PSU certainly has better skill players.

Iowa's defense will be very tough. A good test for McSorely & Moorehead. Beathard is back at QB for Iowa but they lose 2 OL and 2 WRs. Will PSU's defense be able to hold Iowa to 20 pts?

MSU has to replace Cook at QB, 2 OL, and 2 WRs. They also lose 3 starting DL. The bad news is that the new kids have a long time to gel before the PSU game. It might come down to which team improves the most during the season.

I think anything less than 8-4 would be disappointing. We've had 3 consecutive top 25 recruiting classes. It's time we started playing like a top 25 team.

Reactions: bytir
Tough schedule (Pitt, OSU, Michigan, Iowa, MSU). I'd be interested to see an analysis of Pitt, Iowa, and MSU. Are they really better than PSU?

Pitt game is pivotal because I don't think PSU is good enough to make up for that loss by beating Michigan or OSU.

Last 4 recruiting classes:
Pitt: 35th, 44th, 66th, 30th
PSU: 43rd, 24th, 15th, 22nd

So why is Pitt the better team?
QB: Pitt slightly better
OL: Pitt much better
RB: PSU much better
TE: PSU slightly better
WR: PSU much better
DL: Pitt slightly better
LB: PSU slightly better
DB: Even

Why shouldn't PSU win this game? IMO the only reason is if our DL can't hold up to Pitt's OL. PSU certainly has better skill players.

Iowa's defense will be very tough. A good test for McSorely & Moorehead. Beathard is back at QB for Iowa but they lose 2 OL and 2 WRs. Will PSU's defense be able to hold Iowa to 20 pts?

MSU has to replace Cook at QB, 2 OL, and 2 WRs. They also lose 3 starting DL. The bad news is that the new kids have a long time to gel before the PSU game. It might come down to which team improves the most during the season.

I think anything less than 8-4 would be disappointing. We've had 3 consecutive top 25 recruiting classes. It's time we started playing like a top 25 team.
You give Pitt the edge on both the offensive and defensive lines. That is where this game will be won and lost. Most fair minded fans would say this game could go either way. It's at Pitt and, despite what some here believe, Pitt will have more fans in the seats than we will. Pitt should be favored and they will be.

All Stochastic Models are only as good as their input data.....and therefore are not nearly as "scientific" as the terms might imply - or that they may lead a non-quant person to believe

My guess is that you "model" is a bit skewed to the high side :) But time will tell

Don't disagree with your points regarding modeling; however, I'm referring to a model driven by the "consensus" probabilities of parties extremely knowledgeable regarding College Football overall and PSU. For instance, the incessant idiots that come on here saying PSU has no chance of beating tO$U, scUM, MSU or Iowa are off their rocker - PSU may not be the probable favorite in some or any of these games, but PSU's probability of losing all four of these games is NOWHERE EVEN REMOTELY CLOSE TO 100%! Especially given that tO$U, MSU and Iowa are all being played in Beaver Stadium! The last time PSU played tO$U at The Beav, 2014, being a classic example - tO$U won the National Championship in 2014 and actually lost to PSU in 2014 @ The Beav, but for the CORRUPT b1g Shiz-hole and their CORRUPT Officiating Office!

Reactions: Judge Smails
there is no reason for us to not win nine games this season. We have a very favorable schedule, our recruiting classes the past few years have been really good, and we have one of the highest paid coaching crew in all of college football - translate, means we have really good coaches.

This is going to be a great year! Looking forward to traveling in to at least one or two games this season.

I will be happy if we beat the teams we should beat, and beat the teams that are toss ups. (Pitt/Iowa) That would put us at 8-4
I would then like to see us competitive against UM, MSU and OSU. Perhaps knock one off.

I will be happy with 8-4, as long as there is significant improvement and competitiveness against the top teams. 9-3 would be a great year.

I don't know why Pitt would be favored. Who did they beat last year? VT, GT, Duke, Louisville? Lost to Iowa, NC, Miami, Navy and ND. I get we didn't beat any big names either. Perhaps SDSU was our best win. But we played, what 7 bowl teams and 5 in the top 20? That's a horrific schedule.

Home field will get them the -3. The game will be a toss up. The reason IMO is that the match ups tend to favor them. Good offensive line (Pitt) vs new Defensive line, (PSU) and their Defense which is not great, vs a poor offensive line and rookie QB.

Actually there are 5 reasons. Pitt, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa, and Michigan State, all of whom are likely better than we are. Very favorable schedule? Really? OSU, Iowa, and MSU won 12 games last year and Michigan won 10. These teams also had a total of 4 conference losses among them. 8-4 will be a very good season. Anything more would be outstanding.

Why do people keep saying Pitt is better? They lost Boyd and Connor will not be playing. They have a new OC and their recruiting classes have sucked compared to ours. I don't get it. We will beat Pitt and pretty easily.

Reactions: Bertway0
Of all the stupidity written in these posts, the last one brings new meaning to the word stupid. Both classes have been analyzed by experts that know way more than Lionrevival and PSU's class was ranked higher. What an idiot.

What class haven't we beat out Pitt on? Being that we have beaten Pitt every recruiting year in recent history then why would we lose? I don't get a lot of you people. We claim victory in recruiting and then whine that we r not ready. We had enough time. This year we win 9 games if not 10.

What class haven't we beat out Pitt on? Being that we have beaten Pitt every recruiting year in recent history then why would we lose? I don't get a lot of you people. We claim victory in recruiting and then whine that we r not ready. We had enough time. This year we win 9 games if not 10.
I'll tell you why and then you tell us why you're a troll. What pleasure do you get in being a troll?

The 2012 and 2013 classes are largely made up of 2-star or less rated kids that ONLY got their 3rd star, and therefore PSU's class ranking, AFTER PSU offered them a scholarship. You know this, I know this, everyone else seems to know this, with ONE exception...sPitt Trolls. These two classes are VERY important to have successful seasons...but you already know that and cling to the final rankings.

Reactions: Judge Smails
Home field will get them the -3. The game will be a toss up. The reason IMO is that the match ups tend to favor them. Good offensive line (Pitt) vs new Defensive line, (PSU) and their Defense which is not great, vs a poor offensive line and rookie QB.
I would be SHOCKED if Pitt is not a significant favorite (more than a FG)

I will not be shocked if it turns out that PSU is a better team than Pitt in 2016.

But, since this is a week 2 game, and the betting lines will be basically reflective of a lot of guesses on the unknowns - and PSU has more potentially "scary" (bad) unknowns.....both lines, quarterback play, and potentially god-awful kicking (again) - I would expect Pitt to be, rightfully, a solid favorite.

I'll tell you why and then you tell us why you're a troll. What pleasure do you get in being a troll?

The 2012 and 2013 classes are largely made up of 2-star or less rated kids that ONLY got their 3rd star, and therefore PSU's class ranking, AFTER PSU offered them a scholarship. You know this, I know this, everyone else seems to know this, with ONE exception...sPitt Trolls. These two classes are VERY important to have successful seasons...but you already know that and cling to the final rankings.

Wait, so they don't up the recruits star rank for Pitt? Scout sure as hell did. So all three-four of the major recruiting sites decided to up our recruiting stars because they committed to psu? We beat Pitt recruiting wise. The only reason to disagree is to buy more time for the coaching staff. This year we should win 9 games.

I'm intereste
Wait, so they don't up the recruits star rank for Pitt? Scout sure as hell did. So all three-four of the major recruiting sites decided to up our recruiting stars because they committed to psu? We beat Pitt recruiting wise. The only reason to disagree is to buy more time for the coaching staff. This year we should win 9 games.
One of your many agenda's is clear.

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

Reactions: pkg5002
I'm intereste

One of your many agenda's is clear.

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

Lionrevival Prep

So I am not Franklin fan, big deal, I believe we can do better with our budget. Me not being a Franklin fan shouldn't let you steer the argument away from the fact that we have higher ranking recruiting classes than Pitt yet we are saying they should be favored? Why? I have heard that recruiting sites fudged our numbers. This makes no sense because we often complain about those sites and the media dumping on us.

The reason why we lose to Pitt isn't talent, it is coaching. The four major recruiting sites state that we have more talent than Pitt and our coaching staff has been in place longer.

We have no excuses for not beating Pitt.

Reactions: ruready07
So I am not Franklin fan, big deal, I believe we can do better with our budget. Me not being a Franklin fan shouldn't let you steer the argument away from the fact that we have higher ranking recruiting classes than Pitt yet we are saying they should be favored? Why? I have heard that recruiting sites fudged our numbers. This makes no sense because we often complain about those sites and the media dumping on us.

The reason why we lose to Pitt isn't talent, it is coaching. The four major recruiting sites state that we have more talent than Pitt and our coaching staff has been in place longer.

We have no excuses for not beating Pitt.
No doubt....we definitely need to step our game up.

With the budget of this website.....we should DEFINITELY be able to bring in a higher quality of Troll. :)

Reactions: fairgambit
No doubt....we definitely need to step our game up.

With the budget of this website.....we should DEFINITELY be able to bring in a higher quality of Troll. :)

I don't get the handful of posters like yourself that cannot even be slightly objective. We have better recruiting classes based on every major recruiting site yet we should lose to Pitt. Why?

Why do you guys continue to lower your expectations? Why are you dying to keep trying to place us in an underdog position? Are you afraid that we will fail? If we do fail, then what is the solution?

I don't get the handful of posters like yourself that cannot even be slightly objective. We have better recruiting classes based on every major recruiting site yet we should lose to Pitt. Why?

Why do you guys continue to lower your expectations? Why are you dying to keep trying to place us in an underdog position? Are you afraid that we will fail? If we do fail, then what is the solution?
Wait just a second here. You are saying we have better recruiting classes than Pitt yet on 02/03/2016 you had this to say:
"I just wanted to say that if you analyze the PSU class vs the Pitt class I feel you guys edged us by a hair or two.

Going head-to-head with Narduzzi is a very humbling experience."

Your trolling techniques need some work. It is fun to watch though so keep trying.

I would be SHOCKED if Pitt is not a significant favorite (more than a FG)

I will not be shocked if it turns out that PSU is a better team than Pitt in 2016.

But, since this is a week 2 game, and the betting lines will be basically reflective of a lot of guesses on the unknowns - and PSU has more potentially "scary" (bad) unknowns.....both lines, quarterback play, and potentially god-awful kicking (again) - I would expect Pitt to be, rightfully, a solid favorite.

I believe we can win. We will have an advantage in terms of skilled positions on offense. However, execution and offensive line are big question marks at this point. (New offense, new QB.) Pitt will also be better on Defense than they were last year. People that think this game will be a cake walk are not using their heads.

Give up. We all appreciate the effort - - - but you will never - NEVER - usurp 21 Guns.

You said in the last post of your anti-PSU tirades that have been posted here a couple of times that if you analyze the recruits, Pitt edged PSU by a hair and that going up against Narduzzi is a humbling experience. Then you turn around and post here that we have more talent because we out recruited them and we should win. Make up your mind. So why didn't Kentucky's basketball team two years ago win it all? They had more talent than anyone and that was probably the highest rated recruiting class ever. It's because of youth. Then throw in a whole new offensive system, an untested QB and a weak OLine, and there are still question marks that don't reflect on the ability to coach. That's like saying we have all the best hitters on our team, but no pitching and we should still win every game we play and if we don't it's because of bad coaching. It takes a mix of good players and experience in all aspects of the game to win. So if PSU loses to Pitt this year and then beats the dog crap out of them the next three, how would you explain that? Suddenly Franklin got good?

You said in the last post of your anti-PSU tirades that have been posted here a couple of times that if you analyze the recruits, Pitt edged PSU by a hair and that going up against Narduzzi is a humbling experience. Then you turn around and post here that we have more talent because we out recruited them and we should win. Make up your mind. So why didn't Kentucky's basketball team two years ago win it all? They had more talent than anyone and that was probably the highest rated recruiting class ever. It's because of youth. Then throw in a whole new offensive system, an untested QB and a weak OLine, and there are still question marks that don't reflect on the ability to coach. That's like saying we have all the best hitters on our team, but no pitching and we should still win every game we play and if we don't it's because of bad coaching. It takes a mix of good players and experience in all aspects of the game to win. So if PSU loses to Pitt this year and then beats the dog crap out of them the next three, how would you explain that? Suddenly Franklin got good?

Holy freaking crap. Pitt has a new offensive system too. Their coaching staff has been there less than our coaching staff has been in place. Every gat damn recruiting site has us ranked higher than Pitt in recruiting rankings over the past few years. We are well into franklin's tenure. Stop with the excuses. We will crush Pitt this year. If not, the coaching staff needs fired. The fact that we have better players tells me we should win. All we need to do is coach them now.

Who gives a poop about what I said around signing day. I was upset Franklin lost some recruits. Move on. My words can't overtake every single major recruiting venue. No reason not to crush Pitt this year. If we don't, the coaching staff should be fired because they just lost to a much less talented team with an even more transient coaching staff.

there is no reason for us to not win nine games this season. We have a very favorable schedule, our recruiting classes the past few years have been really good, and we have one of the highest paid coaching crew in all of college football - translate, means we have really good coaches.

This is going to be a great year! Looking forward to traveling in to at least one or two games this season.

This is my favorite part of message boards: Listening to 90 percent of them predict 8 or 9 win seasons and then either deny, back off, or totally disappear when called out on it after it never happens.

7-5, and if we win the minor bowl, I will call 8-5 a good season, but at this point, SOME forward momentum HAS to happen. Hopefully after the first 3 losses or so, the staff will put Menet on the field as a starter, and Beh on the field as a starter, with another of the young D1 recruits seeing time at center.

Hopefully after the first 3 losses or so, the staff will put Menet on the field as a starter, and Beh on the field as a starter, with another of the young D1 recruits seeing time at center.

As certain as the Sun rising in the east:

How entertaining would it be to just watch "21" as the startling OLine takes the field for the season-opener......if Bates and Beh are both in the starting line-up? Hell, I'd slip a $20 to Limegrover just to put Gonzales, Jenkins, and Wright out there with them - if only for the first snap.

It would be - - - - - legendary.

"Hey!! I took fifth place at the PIAAs!!!"

Last edited:
Frankly, I will be happy as a lark if we finish 1-11 and the win is pitt. If we finish 12-1 and the single loss is to pitt I will consider it a woefully disappointing season and the entire coaching staff should be fired.

Reactions: cooldude33
Holy freaking crap. Pitt has a new offensive system too. Their coaching staff has been there less than our coaching staff has been in place. Every gat damn recruiting site has us ranked higher than Pitt in recruiting rankings over the past few years. We are well into franklin's tenure. Stop with the excuses. We will crush Pitt this year. If not, the coaching staff needs fired. The fact that we have better players tells me we should win. All we need to do is coach them now.

Who gives a poop about what I said around signing day. I was upset Franklin lost some recruits. Move on. My words can't overtake every single major recruiting venue. No reason not to crush Pitt this year. If we don't, the coaching staff should be fired because they just lost to a much less talented team with an even more transient coaching staff.

BTW.....LR asked me to pass this along.

All the board posters are invited to join him for his tailgate.

Last year's event was a real riot!

You will all recognize some of last year's attendees:

Clockwise, from top-center:

BlackElmo ........
"21" Guns
(nice beard) ..........
MichNittWit (very excitedly telling the others about his upcoming Mens' Room review) ..........
LionRevival (with knees on bench) ..........
AkronLion .......

And to the far left - That is John CR Zippy, who thinks he just Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest in his Gulfstream

Last edited:

The good news is that the offense appears alive, and that will certainly lead to a more complete football team. I don't think we are at the level of the "big 3" yet even if MSU has lost a lot as some have pointed out. Top side is 9 - 3. Bottom side is that we take on two additional losses, but honestly, if we can move the ball, get first downs, run the clock, I don't see any additional losses. I like what I've seen so far offensively. I'm sticking to 9 - 3.

Frankly, I will be happy as a lark if we finish 1-11 and the win is pitt. If we finish 12-1 and the single loss is to pitt I will consider it a woefully disappointing season and the entire coaching staff should be fired.

Really? You obsess about Pitt that much that you would be happy if we just beat them? Wow. The rivalry is definitely significant.

I ask again, what happens if we lose this year then crush Pitt the next three? Will that mean Franklin suddenly got better as a coach?

I ask again, what happens if we lose this year then crush Pitt the next three? Will that mean Franklin suddenly got better as a coach?

If we lose this year then your hypothetical is very unlikely. The recruiting momentum will swing and I imagine the majority of the fanbase will not allow another year or two for Franklin to get his system in place.

We lose to Pitt we are coach hunting immediately and I won't settle for an unproven coach. We have the money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT