ADVERTISEMENT

Advice Needed

PSU_522

Jan 1, 2019
Hi everyone, my wife just received an invitation from the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi and she is considering wether to join or not. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice / incite on this as to wether it would be beneficial or not and worth doing, Thanks in advance!

Sometimes these invitations are scams trying to get you to spend money to be in their directory or to buy a book with other members listed. Mostly these honors are pretty worthless and just play to the ego of the invitee.
Welllll, that sucks .. thanks for letting me know though.

Reactions: kickerinaz
Hi everyone, my wife just received an invitation from the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi and she is considering wether to join or not. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice / incite on this as to wether it would be beneficial or not and worth doing, Thanks in advance!

Phi Kappa Phi is legitimate. Listing it on her resume is a good thing, but it should disappear as she becomes removed from school. So unless the initial fee is an issue, she should join. Once she's in, she's in and she can list it to her heart's content even if she decides not to renew.

PS. Congratulations to your wife on her accomplishment.

Phi Kappa Phi is legitimate. Listing it on her resume is a good thing, but it should disappear as she becomes removed from school. So unless the initial fee is an issue, she should join. Once she's in, she's in and she can list it to her heart's content even if she decides not to renew.

PS. Congratulations to your wife on her accomplishment.
Thank you for your help, I appreciate it! And thank you for the well wishes for her .. she is excited about it so I don’t want to see her get scammed.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it! And thank you for the well wishes for her .. she is excited about it so I don’t want to see her get scammed.

Don't mention it. Here's a link so you (and she) can read for yourself(ves):

Phi Kappa Phi

She's in pretty good company.

Reactions: PSU_522
As Art said, Phi Kappa Phi is one of the “general” honor societies (with its more-prestigious sibling Phi Beta Kappa) that’s actually worth paying the fee for.

Basically, there are two types of honor societies that are worth spending any kind of money on: the ones like Phi Kappa Phi and Phi Beta Kappa, and the ones that are specific to whatever your major is (Phi Alpha Theta for history majors, for example). Once you get beyond that, it gets dicey as to what it’s actually worth.

Reactions: PSU_522 and Bob78
I have been a member for years. It is merit-based - I think faculty members generally nominate you. I joined mainly to be able to add it to my resume if I needed it (turned out I never did). So I can't say I have really benefitted from it but I continue to renew my membership because it is a worthwhile organization promoting academic excellence and providing grants and fellowships.

Reactions: LionJim
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT