ADVERTISEMENT

AB in the news for post match comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW,

See #1. Any practicing Muslim says pretty much the same thing (probably multiple times a day, I don't really know)--though typically not on national TV, I guess:

FWIW,

See #1. Any practicing Muslim says pretty much the same thing (probably multiple times a day, I don't really know)--though typically not on national TV, I guess:
Yea, people also need to understand the levity of the situation. Did he say too much? probably. Could it certainly be taken with a great of salt because he was hyper sensitive at that moment? most definitely.

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
FWIW,

Except that the God of Islam is the same God of Christianity and Judaism. Moslems don't say that Jesus was a false prophet, although they don't believe he was the son of God. They also don't go around dismissing Christianity on national TV, as you guess. Malik Amine had a very measured response to what Brooks said. By the way, the NCAA has deleted their tweet of Brooks' post-match interview.

Someone in the wrestling world (I don't know him) said that Brooks said the same thing later about Joseph Smith when asked.

Except that the God of Islam is the same God of Christianity and Judaism. Moslems don't say that Jesus was a false prophet, although they don't believe he was the son of God.
What about Buddhists and Hindus?
They also don't go around dismissing Christianity on national TV, as you guess.
No, but a good many will take a default over stepping on the mat with an Israeli.
Someone in the wrestling world (I don't know him) said that Brooks said the same thing later about Joseph Smith when asked.
Do you think Cael’s feelings were hurt?

Look, AB probably should have slowed his roll (maybe Labriola can teach him), but his heart is in the right place. And he didn’t tell us anything at all about his balls. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: zzs006 and PSUbluTX
I just hope Aaron has the mental fortitude to somehow recover from [reads article] an organization suggesting he sit down and talk with another group of students.

I'm not expecting an apology. Aaron is to please God, not man. Spreading the truth and leading others to Christ is commanded of him. Jesus obviously speaks to Aaron through inspired scripture so Aaron is probably aware he will be hated by many and "stoned" for speaking of our Savior, the way to salvation and truth. I'll be honest, a Christian at his age, putting himself out there to please Christ knowing many, even the possibility that his own fans will turn their backs on him....that's almost unheard of these days.

PennLive can go to Hell for all I care. I'm sorry for those of you who dislike the guy who popularized the term, but for decades PennLive has been the definition of FAKE NEWS. All they've ever known how to do is stir the pot.

Aaron Brooks "under fire," even the headline itself is inflammatory nonsense.

I'm not expecting an apology. Aaron is to please God, not man. Spreading the truth and leading others to Christ is commanded of him. Jesus obviously speaks to Aaron through inspired scripture so Aaron is probably aware he will be hated by many and "stoned" for speaking of our Savior, the way to salvation and truth. I'll be honest, a Christian at his age, putting himself out there to please Christ knowing many, even the possibility that his own fans will turn their backs on him....that's almost unheard of these days.
The spectacle of media outlets contriving controversy to try to force people to "apologize" is also extremely cringe-inducing and tiresome.

Except that the God of Islam is the same God of Christianity and Judaism. Moslems don't say that Jesus was a false prophet, although they don't believe he was the son of God. They also don't go around dismissing Christianity on national TV, as you guess. Malik Amine had a very measured response to what Brooks said. By the way, the NCAA has deleted their tweet of Brooks' post-match interview.

This is very, very bad comparative religion.

For just a quick example

You say the God of Islam is the same God of Christianity and Judaism. This is egregiously wrong. Islam denies the trinity; Christianity affirms it. In fact, Muslims consider it BLASPHEMY to say God is 3 in 1.Islam says Jesus was a man; Judaism historically said he was a false prophet; Christianity says he is the Son of God. Come on, man.
Judaism also denies that Jesus was the Son of God, so they do not share the exact God as Christianity

The spectacle of media outlets contriving controversy to try to force people to "apologize" is also extremely cringe-inducing and tiresome.
I agree. I could be wrong but I really think they are going to bark up the wrong tree here. Aaron seems to be so deep into his faith, leading just one person to Christ and their eternal salvation is worth more than 4 nattys and Olympic Gold to him. I don't know him, not sure where his mind is but if that's true I really have alot of respect for him.

PennLive can go to Hell for all I care. I'm sorry for those of you who dislike the guy who popularized the term, but for decades PennLive has been the definition of FAKE NEWS. All they've ever known how to do is stir the pot.

Aaron Brooks "under fire," even the headline itself is inflammatory nonsense.
I’m not clued in enough to know exactly what you’re talking about, but I will say that Jim Carlson is the reigning GOAT of covering psu wrestling, even in retirement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ja1339
I’m not clued in enough to know exacflu what you’re talking about, but I will say that Jim Carlson is the reigning GOAT of covering psu wrestling, even in retirement.
Carlson's fine. He probably didn't write this stupid headline. Brooks, who was excited and emotional, isn't the one keeping this in the news.

The rest, besides Jim Carlson, is crap. Note that Flounders and Jones - Ohio State grads - only started being nice to PSU football when Paterno died. And I shouldn't even say being nice. It's that they stopped constantly interpreting everything in as bad a light as possible.

What about Buddhists and Hindus?

No, but a good many will take a default over stepping on the mat with an Israeli.

Do you think Cael’s feelings were hurt?

Look, AB probably should have slowed his roll (maybe Labriola can teach him), but his heart is in the right place. And he didn’t tell us anything at all about his balls. 🤷‍♂️
Interestingly enough there is a school of thought that says Christ traveled to the East during the part of his life that isn't talked about in the Bible. People believe he went and learned about Buddhism/Hinduism which is why all three religions are based on peace.

Reactions: Hoosier Lion
I’m not very (at all?) religious so I’m probably not the authority on this. Was raised Jewish and still consider myself Jewish culturally. But don’t all 3 of the major religions inherently shout down the other 2 in texts? So are we mad at Brooks’ beliefs (which we’ve known for years and is shared my millions) or mad that he said it out loud?

Aaron can use his post championship interview to say whatever he wants, but "almost unheard of"?

Numerous PSU wrestlers (including Aaron) have made very similar statements of their faith and its importance in their lives and wrestling. If this statement is "unheard of" to you, I guess you just haven't been listening.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul

You're right....though the radical ones just kill Christians (and other "non-believers").

I guess it's a wash.

Last edited:
I’m not very (at all?) religious so I’m probably not the authority on this. Was raised Jewish and still consider myself Jewish culturally. But don’t all 3 of the major religions inherently shout down the other 2 in texts? So are we mad at Brooks’ beliefs (which we’ve known for years and is shared my millions) or mad that he said it out loud?
Exactly, don't the majority of religions believe that they are the one true religion? Which also means they think that the other religions are "not" or are false. It seems like the only difference is AB said that out loud vs keeping that in their own thoughts, which now offends people, and we are no longer allowed to offend anyone. It also seems like AB is wanting to shine a light on that which is probably why he said it.

This. At the end of the day, as the great religious historian Jaro Pelikan was fond of saying, to believe in something is inherently to disbelieve in something else. The only thing that Aaron did was to say it in polite company, which of course in this country is a far greater sin than the actual belief.

Aaron can use his post championship interview to say whatever he wants, but "almost unheard of"?

Numerous PSU wrestlers (including Aaron) have made very similar statements of their faith and its importance in their lives and wrestling. If this statement is "unheard of" to you, I guess you just haven't been listening.
Yes, I've failed to hear many come out and say that it is through Jesus Christ and Jesus Christ ALONE To eternal salvation. In fact, there are Christian Churches that are now refusing to say it out of fear they will lose membership and tithing. Billy Graham himself at one point turned from the truth and stopped preaching the blood atonement of Jesus Christ.. His son had to walk some of it after his father's death. The pope recently made some questionable comments along these lines as well. On top of all that, Christianity don't want to even address sin anymore in our churches out of fear people won't visit. I stand by what I said, very few people are afraid to speak the truth out of fear for having to go through what Aaron is going through. If you think Aaron's message is the same as the others, I then ask why is he getting this kind of blow back and the others didn't.

Last edited:
There'd be less blowback if he would have just thrown a temper tantrum and broken his glasses instead.

Reactions: dbldoofus
Add to it that even within those denominations that fall under the umbrella of Christianity, there is much disagreement.

Reactions: donboy6499

Yeah, with a little more nuance, pretty much this.

Muslims do practice more deference to Jesus than Christians to Muhammad the prophet. But when I say more, you get into different sects of Islam practicing different amounts of deference. Really not a conversation I want to have beyond that on the board. But a simple Google search (or I can really just post the state curriculum to the high school course I teach) probably outlines it as well as anything.

To say that what he said is some surprise just means folks aren't literate on religion. Can disagree or agree with it, but it is Christianity.

Add to it that even within those denominations that fall under the umbrella of Christianity, there is much disagreement.
Like, I respect that people have different interpretations of religion.

But to me there are certain things that the texts say that is hard to argue with.

I grew up in a synagogue with a gay rabbi. Peter was awesome and I liked he and his family, still do. But I always wondered how he reconciled his life and beliefs with what the Torah says about sexuality.

Similarly, if AB is a devout Christian, which he says, then he inherently believes Mohammad is a false prophet. That’s, like, a central tenant of the religion. So this issue, if there is one, isn’t that he said it out loud but rather that he believes in a religion that directly contradicts another.

Last edited:
Yeah, with a little more nuance, pretty much this.

Muslims do practice more deference to Jesus than Christians to Muhammad the prophet. But when I say more, you get into different sects of Islam practicing different amounts of deference. Really not a conversation I want to have beyond that on the board. But a simple Google search (or I can really just post the state curriculum to the high school course I teach) probably outlines it as well as anything.

To say that what he said is some surprise just means folks aren't literate on religion. Can disagree or agree with it, but it is Christianity.
Mmhmm. It’s part of why I’ve never really been religious. Don’t mean to offend anyone who is, but there are things I just couldn’t reconcile.

Muslims do practice more deference to Jesus than Christians to Muhammad the prophet.
They of course also have the benefit of the linear nature of time for that as well. Their guy was around AFTER JC, and so the official texts have references to him, and how he fits in. There are zero mainstream Christian sacred texts that reference Mohammad.

this sounds eerily like something I would say..

Exactly, don't the majority of religions believe that they are the one true religion? Which also means they think that the other religions are "not" or are false. It seems like the only difference is AB said that out loud vs keeping that in their own thoughts, which now offends people, and we are no longer allowed to offend anyone. It also seems like AB is wanting to shine a light on that which is probably why he said it.
True, the other religions just don’t get pressured to apologize for strong convictions in 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT