ADVERTISEMENT

A Football Parking Question

WichitaKid

May 30, 2001
I am now retired after working 45 years in Kansas; so, I can actually attend a football game in Beaver Stadium this year (the first since 1971). I have zero experience with attending a game as a non-student; and, the stuff I occasionally read on this site about parking at the stadium terrifies me. I am thinking in terms of attending the Purdue game. We will be staying in Clearfield. Can anybody give me some advice as to how I should approach the parking issue? For instance, what will parking cost? Where would I be able to park? Is it possible to park rather far away from the stadium and walk or ride some sort of shuttle? Is there parking somewhere downtown that will allow us to walk to the stadium? I'm totally lost on this.

If parking downtown and walking is ok for you, you’ll always find a spot. You can park at the grange fair and take a shuttle, penn stater and take a shuttle, the state high school, Walmart. Park in a neighborhood and take an Uber. If you don’t want to tailgate you’ll be fine. I’d park in barbours driveway and it’s a short walk up the hill to the stadium.

Is it legal to park on a neighborhood street a few blocks back from College Ave.? Are the shuttles free of charge?

Is it legal to park on a neighborhood street a few blocks back from College Ave.? Are the shuttles free of charge?

The neighborhood I think you’re talking about (the highlands) is charging residents to park on the public street in front of their homes starting this year (the residents voted for it). Over by the frats you can still park free. Cata shuttle is $2 now.

If you want to tailgate and have a little fun prior to the game.Just order a yellow parking pass online for $20 and park in one of the stadium lots. If coming up just for the game and not tailgating you can park downtown in the garage and walk up through campus about 1.5 miles to the stadium. Stop at the creamery for some ice cream on the way up or out...although after the game the line will be extremely long.

In general, I think the issues you read about here are from people (like myself) that deal with it seemingly every single game. If I was coming out once every few years, it would not be a big deal. The problem for you could arise if we get heavy rains and they need to close the lots. Then, it's anybody's guess.

If I was doing the once every 10 year thing, I would order a yellow pass on line and hope for the best. If they close your lot due to monsoon season, park at the Nittany Mall and take the shuttle.

If you want to tailgate and have a little fun prior to the game.Just order a yellow parking pass online for $20 and park in one of the stadium lots. If coming up just for the game and not tailgating you can park downtown in the garage and walk up through campus about 1.5 miles to the stadium. Stop at the creamery for some ice cream on the way up or out...although after the game the line will be extremely long.

There are no more yellow parking passes. Where you been?

There are other parking options on campus as well in the parking decks and some lots. I think it is cheaper than downtown garages but not positive on that. Lots of good suggestions in this thread, just really depends on what you are looking to do. Like someone suggested there are shuttle locations on the south and north sides of town where it is inexpensive to ride and you don't have to deal with parking on campus.

In general, I think the issues you read about here are from people (like myself) that deal with it seemingly every single game. If I was coming out once every few years, it would not be a big deal. The problem for you could arise if we get heavy rains and they need to close the lots. Then, it's anybody's guess.

If I was doing the once every 10 year thing, I would order a yellow pass on line and hope for the best. If they close your lot due to monsoon season, park at the Nittany Mall and take the shuttle.
This!

If your definite on the Purdue game, that's Homecoming if not already mentioned above. Depending if you arrive Friday, you might want to attend the parade Friday night. Also, those games tend to start at Noon. As a visitor, and if your not a timetable, I would recommend parking in the lots and taking it all in. I prefer the grass lots but you'll usually able to find reserved parking pass on Stubhub if you so chose.

I am now retired after working 45 years in Kansas; so, I can actually attend a football game in Beaver Stadium this year (the first since 1971). I have zero experience with attending a game as a non-student; and, the stuff I occasionally read on this site about parking at the stadium terrifies me. I am thinking in terms of attending the Purdue game. We will be staying in Clearfield. Can anybody give me some advice as to how I should approach the parking issue? For instance, what will parking cost? Where would I be able to park? Is it possible to park rather far away from the stadium and walk or ride some sort of shuttle? Is there parking somewhere downtown that will allow us to walk to the stadium? I'm totally lost on this.

Parking downtown is definitely an option. If you get into town early enough, you could park at the Pugh Street garage. You're close to tons of breakfast options and shops if you want to check out the downtown scene early in the day. It's a decent walk to the stadium but you can walk through campus, stop at the Creamery and wander around the tailgates. You can catch the team coming in with the band about 2.5 hours before the game and head into the stadium shortly after if you want to walk around inside the stadium and watch the teams warm up. It's what I like to do when I go to road games. Go in early, check out the stadium, take some pictures and soak it all in.

Parking the last few years for those of us who deal with it on a week to week basis has been a nightmare. That said for one game it shouldn't be a big deal.
Call Penn State and prepay for a pass to either lots 11 or 36 and have a great time.
https://gopsusports.com/documents/2018/11/30/2019_Stadium_Parking_Map_Cardinal.pdf
Worst case is show up day of game pay $60 park in either lot 11 or 36 and have a great time!

Lots of people making recommendations to him based on the OLD parking rules. Everything is changing this year and nobody knows how it's going to play out so I would tell him to totally ignore anything someone tells him about parking at the stadium. It's just one big unknown.

His best bet would be to get downtown early and park in one of the downtown garages (either Pugh, Frazier, or Beaver Ave garages), then take a CATA shuttle from Schlow Library at Beaver and Allen to the stadium. That way he gets to enjoy downtown before and after the game. Since he's coming from Clearfield, his second best option would be to take a Fullington bus shuttle from either the Weis and Giant grocery store plaza on North Atherton or from the WalMart store on the Benner Pike near the Nittany Mall.

Last edited:
Now that I've considered some of these suggestions, I should think that trying to get to the downtown area from Clearfield would get us tied up in a lengthier-than-necessary traffic jam. The most reasonable option seems to be the Fullington bus shuttle from North Atherton (is this the same as the CATA bus that has been mentioned?). The question is... why would the merchants at that location allow cars to be parked in their lots for hours on end while people go to/from the stadium? Any idea how much the bus would cost? And, by the way, thanks to all of you who have responded to my questions.

Reactions: Zenophile
Now that I've considered some of these suggestions, I should think that trying to get to the downtown area from Clearfield would get us tied up in a lengthier-than-necessary traffic jam. The most reasonable option seems to be the Fullington bus shuttle from North Atherton (is this the same as the CATA bus that has been mentioned?). The question is... why would the merchants at that location allow cars to be parked in their lots for hours on end while people go to/from the stadium? Any idea how much the bus would cost? And, by the way, thanks to all of you who have responded to my questions.

Hell wal-mart lets rvs Park free in their lot all weekend. They figure you’re probably spending some coin there during your stay.

$10 round trip for bus. Depending upon how full it gets, several stops before you get to stadium drop off point.
http://www.fullingtontours.com/pages/psu_football_shuttles

He's talking the bus from north atherton to beaver stadium. That's 2 bucks not 10.

CATA's normal service loops all over the place on football weekends and doesn't get you as close to the stadium as the Fullington Shuttle will. The normal CATA service goes from Walmart to Toftrees, continues along Toftrees Ave through the Villages at Penn State, then down Fox Hollow to the stadium. On football weekends, once the CATA bus reaches the Villages at Penn State, it turns around, goes back up Toftrees Ave, gets onto the bypass at Waddle Road, goes all the way to College Ave, then takes the University Drive exit onto campus. The closest that you get to the stadium is on University Drive below the stadium. That adds 20-30 minutes to the route plus a ten minute walk to the stadium.

The Fullington shuttle, however, once it leaves Toftrees goes directly down Fox Hollow and drops you off at the Ag Arena at Fox Hollow and Park, just across from the stadium. Depending on traffic on Fox Hollow, it can be much quicker than the CATA bus. Then again, depending on the number of people in your party, saving $6 each person (it's $2 each way on CATA, $10 round trip on Fullington) might be worth the extra 30 minutes travel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT