ADVERTISEMENT

99 on schollie by fall camp

typically, you'll get a handful, maybe five, that get hurt in spring practice. Others will find that they are buried on the depth chart, having gotten passed over by underclasspeople and bailout. Some, I am afraid, will have a difficult meeting with the head coach. 'ships are year to year and not guaranteed. Thus is the state of college football as erstwhile "employees" and it ain't going to get better.

Reactions: bison13
typically, you'll get a handful, maybe five, that get hurt in spring practice. Others will find that they are buried on the depth chart, having gotten passed over by underclasspeople and bailout. Some, I am afraid, will have a difficult meeting with the head coach. 'ships are year to year and not guaranteed. Thus is the state of college football as erstwhile "employees" and it ain't going to get better.
Unless something has changed recently, our ships are guaranteed for four years or graduation, whichever comes first.

Keep dreaming. 14 will lose their Schollys. Reality
I believe PSU has held them for four years traditionally. I don't think it is contractual, just the way it has always been.

0*ArHqSqkab7W8-5_g.gif

Unless something has changed recently, our ships are guaranteed for four years or graduation, whichever comes first.
If that is the case, how do imagine that PSU will get to 85? Are they telling 14 signees that they have to greyshirt?

I believe PSU has held them for four years traditionally. I don't think it is contractual, just the way it has always been.

0*ArHqSqkab7W8-5_g.gif
The 4 years i s a B1G thing and - not sure the exact year - was implemented a while back. Once a kid-school signs an athletic scholarship, he's guaranteed a 4 year scholarship even if he never leaves the bench and decides to stay on

Reactions: Agoodnap
If that is the case, how do imagine that PSU will get to 85? Are they telling 14 signees that they have to greyshirt?
Pretty sure- and I see this on almost all of the major school websites - that PSU already knows who's leaving-transferring and who's coming in. I see this question all the time on the Michigan and OSU sites. I remember around 3 or 4 years ago Michigan was around 10 over in the Spring and made the 85 player limit by the Fall. These schools know the situation far better than you or me

The 4 years i s a B1G thing and - not sure the exact year - was implemented a while back. Once a kid-school signs an athletic scholarship, he's guaranteed a 4 year scholarship even if he never leaves the bench and decides to stay on
do you have a link to say that? everything I am seeing says that they are year to year.

do you have a link to say that? everything I am seeing says that they are year to year.
Here ya go. It happened back in 2014

thanks for that...but it doesn't go into the legal aspects of the arrangement which may also have changed since 2014. is this a policy or is it a legally binding contract between the school and the player? PSU isn't the only school to have 'ship cap challenges. PSU has 99 kids. If they don't volunteer to leave, if their 'ship is 4 years, now what?

Scholarships can be changed such that they are no longer an athletic scholarship. Most attempt to portal out and many just end up quitting school.

Scholarships can be changed such that they are no longer an athletic scholarship. Most attempt to portal out and many just end up quitting school.
well, if you can do that, there is no longer a cap. You are on 'ship but you aren't on the team. you could have 847 kids on the roster at this point, as long as the roster is down to 85 in August. Is that right?

And in 2015, the P5 all followed suit.

My question is if/how recent developments, such as the athletes ability to unrestricted transfer, has changed that policy. Obviously, even with the guarantee, coaches have ways to make staying unpalatable, and most don't want to stay where they aren't wanted.

thanks for that...but it doesn't go into the legal aspects of the arrangement which may also have changed since 2014. is this a policy or is it a legally binding contract between the school and the player? PSU isn't the only school to have 'ship cap challenges. PSU has 99 kids. If they don't volunteer to leave, if their 'ship is 4 years, now what?
PSU already has it figured out with the kids.....THEY KNOW. It's just that you or me aren't in on the info. Have you heard of a B1G athlete raising he!! or taking the school to court for not honoring the 4-year deal? I haven't

I was reading on one of the OSU sites that an OL who was on the 4-year scholarship that saw the field a couple of years ago - in a blowout - and that was it......Larow or something like that. He's graduating with his degree in the very near future. He was obviously there for the education. Could be wrong, but I'm thinking his field was one of the Engineering fields

PSU already has it figured out with the kids.....THEY KNOW

I was reading on one of the OSU sites that an OL who was on the 4-year scholarship that saw the field a couple of years ago - in a blowout - and that was it......Larow or something like that. He's graduating with his degree in the very near future. He was obviously there for the education. Could be wrong, but I'm thinking his field was one of the Engineering fields
wow. so there aren't any limits, really. That seems OK as the limit was put into place when kids couldn't xfer and teams like Alabama would sign 200 kids just to keep them off the GA, FL, FSU and LSU rosters. Today, if that kid wants to play and not just go to school for free, he can just portal out.

So Franklin may have to pull 14 kids into his office and tell them that they are being dropped from the roster.

Can they continue to practice and be on the sideline as a walkon? I mean, why not? Then you can go back to the old days of having 200 kids suited up and on the sideline.

wow. so there aren't any limits, really. That seems OK as the limit was put into place when kids couldn't xfer and teams like Alabama would sign 200 kids just to keep them off the GA, FL, FSU and LSU rosters. Today, if that kid wants to play and not just go to school for free, he can just portal out.

So Franklin may have to pull 14 kids into his office and tell them that they are being dropped from the roster.

Can they continue to practice and be on the sideline as a walkon? I mean, why not? Then you can go back to the old days of having 200 kids suited up and on the sideline.
Kids get four years if they want it. But some will be told they have no shot at playing but still must show up and put in the work. Hearing this most kids will transfer out because all players at this level want to play. A lifetime of work and dreams doesn’t die easily. And many will go to lower level programs so they can get playing time.

Some will stick around because they love the school, are invested in it with tons of friends, and may even have a major that make transferring difficult. Every year we see the senior class and there are a couple kids that no one r heard of.

And a couple will drop from the team but finish their last year off scholarship. Easier to do now many made some NIL money snd can afford one year of tuition.

And is there anything to stop a donor or deep pocket from paying a kids tuition for a year if he quits the team?

Fourteen over….. no problem as most will transfer out by fall. And one or two may end up with academic issues.

Reactions: bison13
Did anyone ever wonder why Franklin is so big on getting the kids to graduate in 3 years? If they're really good they are going to leave after 3 years anyway, so may as well have a degree. If they aren't any good they'll have a degree and no harm in telling them to leave. For the many solid contributors that he wants to stay, think OL and DL, Special teams and just all-around good college players, it is no harm to pursue a 2nd degree, either undergraduate or graduate.

Kids get four years if they want it. But some will be told they have no shot at playing but still must show up and put in the work. Hearing this most kids will transfer out because all players at this level want to play. A lifetime of work and dreams doesn’t die easily. And many will go to lower level programs so they can get playing time.

Some will stick around because they love the school, are invested in it with tons of friends, and may even have a major that make transferring difficult. Every year we see the senior class and there are a couple kids that no one r heard of.

And a couple will drop from the team but finish their last year off scholarship. Easier to do now many made some NIL money snd can afford one year of tuition.

And is there anything to stop a donor or deep pocket from paying a kids tuition for a year if he quits the team?

Fourteen over….. no problem as most will transfer out by fall. And one or two may end up with academic issues.
well, if a kid gets four years and he isn't on the roster, it isn't really four years. We can offer 200 kids and simply pull them off the roster. The kids, then, can do whatever they want.

I like it...it gives the kids a lot of flexibility but puts a lot of cost overhead on the university.

This is the correct answer. Most kids at the bigtime football programs like UM, PSU and OSU can play at lower level school and will try to transfer. But the point is that if a kid chooses to stay at the school and remain on the football squad with little or no playing time, the school has to honor the 4-year scholarship. But, 95% of the kids will transfer out on there own

well, if a kid gets four years and he isn't on the roster, it isn't really four years. We can offer 200 kids and simply pull them off the roster. The kids, then, can do whatever they want.

I like it...it gives the kids a lot of flexibility but puts a lot of cost overhead on the university.
Not sure it works that way ---- the unlimited amount of 4-year football scholarships for a school. Could be wrong, but I believe they're all counted in the 85 player roster but just a guess.

I went to OSU's Bucknuts listed 2023 roster and looked up that kid I mentioned earlier that didn't get any playing time and his name is Trey Leroux and he's part of their 85 man roster (mentioned in a Bucknuts article). I just don't think that there is an unlimited amount of 4-year scholarships - they all count to the 85-man roater. You're kind of getting to the SEC type stuff when you get into unlimited 4-year scholarships although I think the SEC is still locked into renewable 1-year to year scholarships

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax
Pretty sure- and I see this on almost all of the major school websites - that PSU already knows who's leaving-transferring and who's coming in. I see this question all the time on the Michigan and OSU sites. I remember around 3 or 4 years ago Michigan was around 10 over in the Spring and made the 85 player limit by the Fall. These schools know the situation far better than you or me
Yep, they (the coaches) know the situation better than any fans.

But if any player knew they were leaving they would have already been in the portal looking to have already enrolled at a new school and compete for playing time there during winter conditioning and Spring practices.

This is pretty new for PSU to be this far over the limit and there will be some hard conversations between now and the start of Fall camp.

Every position besided QB will have to have players leave. It's somewhat easy to look at the roster and come up with names at most positions, but there are usually some surprises as well.

I don't believe grayshirting is a practical option for recruits in the current recruting environment. Players want to get in the fray ASAP. It may work out for a kicker that wants to come as a walk on and then compete for a scholarship the next season, or some other special case. But the 25 2024 class recruits all expect to be on scholarship by the start of Fall practice. Sure, 1 or 2 could not make it to PSU due to grades or some other issue, but those details have likely been all explored and resolved long ago with the level of detail that the PSU staff now vents potential recruits.

With all the players enrolling early and the fact that most players take classes in the Summer semesters there are probably a good many of even the 2021 class players that will have their degrees by this coming Summer.

I wouldn't exactly call it running guys off. Most of these guys are competitive and want to play in games. Who wants to workout all year and practice but not play. When it is made clear that they're burried, they can transfer.

In the past, Franklin has kept guys on schollie for the full 4 years even after they were knew early on that they weren't making it past the practice squad. Most guys won't do that.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I wouldn't exactly call it running guys off. Most of these guys are competitive and want to play in games. Who wants to workout all year and practice but not play. When it is made clear that they're burried, they can transfer.

In the past, Franklin has kept guys on schollie for the full 4 years even after they were knew early on that they weren't making it past the practice squad. Most guys won't do that.
If franklin did not run a few off then he should. If he does not do it the next coach will. At the end of the day psu fans don't care about running players off. All they care about is winning.

If franklin did not run a few off then he should. If he does not do it the next coach will. At the end of the day psu fans don't care about running players off. All they care about is winning.
But the point is that yes, Franklin - or any B1G coach - can encourage a kid to leave but if that kid wants to ride the bench as one of the 85-man roster and continue his education at the school, the coach has NO CHOICE.

But, as mentioned, the vast majority will transfer as football has been a big part of their life. But to say a coach can pull a 4-year scholarship or run a kid off is just wrong. No school or coach can do that if the kid is determined to stay at the school and finish his education for the remainder of the 4 years

Reactions: Ward Hog
In theory, not in practice

Here is a crazy thought. ”We are over the limit and are pulling your scholarship, however if you want to stay on the team there is $5k in NIL available.”
Is this possible, likely and allowed?

• Haha
Reactions: Obliviax
Here is a crazy thought. ”We are over the limit and are pulling your scholarship, however if you want to stay on the team there is $5k in NIL available.”
Is this possible, likely and allowed?
That's great @JoeLion . "sorry, no slots available. however, if you want to be on the roster for your resume, a $5k nil targeted toward on new Wide Reciever might get you in. Kevin Ceh has created a website where you can bid on one of five openings which will go to the highest NIL bidders. The minimum is $5,000 and the bidding starts at 8am Thursday. Good luck with your bids!"

Not true, been a fan before even graduating, i do care about the image of "running" kids off.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT