ADVERTISEMENT

7th in final AP poll

Was surprised to see USC jump so high. The game with PSU was essentially a draw, if anything PSU handed USC the game. PSU had a conference championship and 1 more win than USC. Plus I seriously doubt PSU would have been #3 had they won the rose bowl.

Oh well, it's pretty much meaningless at this point if you're not #1.

Not exactly sure how PSU ends up behind Ohio State. I mean they lost to the eventual National Champs, but got curb stomped and also lost to PSU. Not that it matters, but I think it's debatable.

Well, tOSU dropped 4 spots, PSU dropped 2 spots. And they did lose only 2 games vs. PSU's 3 games.

Now if the poll had jumped FSU or especially Wiscy and/or UMich ahead of PSU, that would truly have been debatable.

Are Pitt fans cackling about beating Clemson (and PSU) yet?

What else do they have in their life? They have the worst AD off all P5 conferences, they are the 3rd best football team in the state of PA this year. They haven't won 10 games in the regular season since 1981. They are a basketball school that's never won anything. ALL they have are those two fluke wins from last season.

Was surprised to see USC jump so high. The game with PSU was essentially a draw, if anything PSU handed USC the game. PSU had a conference championship and 1 more win than USC. Plus I seriously doubt PSU would have been #3 had they won the rose bowl.

ABSOLUTELY no question in my mind if PSU had won the Rose Bowl they would easily have been a solid #3 in the final poll.

They were #5 going into the Rose Bowl and would have certainly jumped the two routed semi-final losers.

Reactions: aferrelli
ABSOLUTELY no question in my mind if PSU had won the Rose Bowl they would easily have been a solid #3 in the final poll.

They were #5 going into the Rose Bowl and would have certainly jumped the two routed semi-final losers.

I'd like to think you are right, but PSU was repeatedly screwed in the polls all season, including this last poll where OSU is ranked higher.

Not exactly sure how PSU ends up behind Ohio State. I mean they lost to the eventual National Champs, but got curb stomped and also lost to PSU. Not that it matters, but I think it's debatable.
The more things change the more they stay the same especially in college football.

OU continues to get love despite winning a garbage conference and beating a five loss Auburn team in the Sugar Bowl. The Sooners are a fraud and we shouldn't be behind them.

Not sure. USC jumped UW because they beat them head to head.

We beat USC that doesn't mean we beat UW.

I'm guessing #4 if we had won.

LdN

Reactions: john4psu
Don't get the love for Oklahoma given that they had the weakest of the NY6 bowl matchups.....and rankings make less sense if you're going to put SC that high at 3, dropping PSU that went toe to toe with them to the final play to 7?

Still not a big deal and doesn't really take any luster off what was accomplished but seems probable that OSU getting curb stomped impacted the 3-8 positioning.

Don't get the love for Oklahoma given that they had the weakest of the NY6 bowl matchups.....and rankings make less sense if you're going to put SC that high at 3, dropping PSU that went toe to toe with them to the final play to 7?

Still not a big deal and doesn't really take any luster off what was accomplished but seems probable that OSU getting curb stomped impacted the 3-8 positioning.
Yes, we got punished for beating an overrated OSU team that got exposed in the playoffs but that OSU team did not get punished for it...gotta love college football.

I think its a great position for us. Why? Because it is high enough to recognized as a contender but low enough for us to have a chip on our shoulder and to NOT be under pressure to win every game.

Not sure how they can justify putting Ohio State ahead of Penn State in this poll (Ohio State only had 2 losses, Penn State had three?) when they put USC at #3 with three losses (10-3) when Penn State even had a better record at 11-3. Looks like USC made the biggest leap in the poll - when all they managed to do is beat Penn State by a FG with 0:01 seconds on the clock. So USC looks like champs and was the third best team in the nation - but Penn State still deserves to only be 7th?

No amount of rational logic will ever be used when making the case why Penn State deserves wherever it winds up.

And just how the heck does Washington finish FOURTH???

Did you lose 4 games? Too bad. Oh, wait - are you in the SEC? Here - have a Top 25 final ranking.

When are people going to realize that since CorButt and our own BOT made us an eternal pariah, we will NEVER, and I mean FOR ETERNITY, EVER going to get the benefit of the doubt again. We shouldn't only be ahead of Ohio State. We should be ahead of Oklahoma too.

Ohio State boot stomped Oklahoma in Norman which was the main reason they got into the Playoff over us. We beat Ohio State and won Ohio State's Conference. Yet Oklahoma gets the benefit of the doubt for getting boot stomped by Ohio State in their own House, and didn't even have to win a Conference Championship Game.

The ONLY reason we even went to the Rose Bowl was because the Rose Bowl was contractually required to accept us. Otherwise, the Selection Committee would have given us the short straw to play Western Michigan.

If we are so bad, why was a 3 loss, non-Conference Champ USC rewarded a 3rd place finish in the final rankings for barely beating us?? Because deep down inside, all those a$$holes know we were better than they wanted to admit. F-(k them all.

Well - that explains it. A bunch of idiots had us ranked as low as 11th. And some kind folks had us as high as 4th.

Need proof to see the bias in the media against Penn State? I wish someone calculated the standard deviation of those votes - I'll bet Penn State had the widest range of rankings among all teams. (Obviously Clemson and Alabama's Standard Deviation would be 0.)

I'd also LOVE to see an average ranking for Penn State by region to see where the bias was worst. Seeing a lot of high scores for Florida State where Penn State got the 11s.

OSU was living on hype for the second half of the season. For anyone who was paying attention, their offensive line problems were exposed big time against us. However, many looked at the blocked kicks and assumed it was a "flukey" loss. They struggled mightily against a bad MSU team, were outplayed by Michigan, and curbstomped by Clemson. They should have dropped a lot farther than they did.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION
Sarcasm...he's referencing the time, playing Wiscy in 2011 when the refs weren't calling holding against our opponent and a player spoke up and the ref said "you're just lucky to be here."

Bingo.

Penn State should be ranked higher than Tosu, but no one is going to admit that they screwed up by putting Tosu in the playoff. With that said, if someone had told me in August that Penn State would finish the season ranked #7, I would have laughed heartily in their face. This team far exceeded expectations. It was a thrill to see them grow and mature this past season.

Motivation for next year.

I predicted 7th, although I was hoping for 5th. 7th is awesome, though, and of course we got screwed a notch or two, but no biggie. We are set up for NO lower than 10th in every preseason poll next year, from the preseason Athlon, Lindy, SN, and Phil Steele guides, to the AP and the Coaches poll. This is a MUST if you want to have a shot at the playoff. You simply must start inside the top 20, preferably the top 15. When you have to climb all the mountains, the teams with the high preseason ranks, are always going to outrank you, given equal records, during the season.

Believe you will see us no lower than 8th, on opening day.

I predicted 7th, although I was hoping for 5th. 7th is awesome, though, and of course we got screwed a notch or two, but no biggie. We are set up for NO lower than 10th in every preseason poll next year, from the preseason Athlon, Lindy, SN, and Phil Steele guides, to the AP and the Coaches poll. This is a MUST if you want to have a shot at the playoff. You simply must start inside the top 20, preferably the top 15. When you have to climb all the mountains, the teams with the high preseason ranks, are always going to outrank you, given equal records, during the season.

Believe you will see us no lower than 8th, on opening day.
Preseason AP and ESPN already have us 4th.

Comical.

Why were we looked at so poorly? Because we got waxed by Michigan.

That 31-0 beating must have been a fluke. Explains why they are #3 for some voters.

Donnie Collins does great job taking down some of these AP voters.

http://blogs.thetimes-tribune.com/pennstate/?p=5252

But the nicest thing I can say about their rankings is that they pale in comparison to these voters, who ranked Penn State behind some combination of Ohio State, Michigan and, get this, Wisconsin:

Bob Asmussen (Champaign News Gazette)
Ed Daigneault (Republican American – Waterbury, CT)
Jimmy Burch (Fort Worth Star-Telegram)
Johnny Miller (WBZ News Radio 1030 – Boston)
Michael Bonner (Jackson Clarion-Ledger)
Rob Long (WJZ-FM 105.7 The Fan – Baltimore)
Ross Dellenger (The Advocate – Baton Rouge)

Where to begin with these seven?

Well, I’d like to start with Johnny Miller, the Boston radio man. He ranked Wisconsin No. 4. IN THE NATION. OUR NATION. THE US OF A. Five spots ahead of Penn State. FIVE!

Jeez, Johnny…seriously? Penn State BEAT Wisconsin just last month. In a conference championship game. On a neutral field. All that happened since is Penn State losing by three points — on a last-second field goal, mind you — to a USC team that finished third in the country. And Wisconsin won the Cotton Bowl, 24-16, against Western Michigan. Man, Johnny Miller must love P.J. Fleck. What a guy like Johnny Miller is telling you is that Wisconsin is better than Penn State, no matter the head-to-head result, no matter the scene of the game, no matter the meaning of the game, no matter when the game was played. Dumb.

I’d like to continue with Ross Dellenger and Michael Bonner, who watched Big Ten football so closely from the deep south this season that they determined the Big Ten champion was the fourth-best team in the Big Ten. Just a bang-up job, guys.

Yep, they ranked Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin ahead of them. Even though the Nittany Lions had a 2-1 record against the other three. Again, special kind of arrogance among this group to say “I don’t care that PSU beat Ohio State…OSU is better” and “I don’t care that Michigan finished so badly…Michigan is better because it beat PSU” and “I don’t care that PSU beat Wisconsin in a championship game on a neutral field…Wisconsin is better, because I just think so, that’s why.”

Did I say arrogance? Stupidity might be a better word.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT