ADVERTISEMENT

7th in final AP poll

Not exactly sure how PSU ends up behind Ohio State. I mean they lost to the eventual National Champs, but got curb stomped and also lost to PSU. Not that it matters, but I think it's debatable.
And Oklahoma ahead of tOSU, who beat Oklahoma in Oklahoma.

That is absolutely moronic. This person should lose his vote plain and simple. If he's that dumb then he shouldn't be allowed to have a say.
You've heard the old tried and true computer term--garbage in/garbage out. Well, that's true here. It's garbage like this that gets factored into the overall calculation that generates a #7 position for us.

As an OSU fan I would have no problem with PSU being ranked ahead of OSU given the head to head and the huge egg that OSU laid in the Fiesta Bowl. I do have a problem with Oklahoma being ranked ahead of OSU given that OSU beat them by 3TDs in their house at night.

As an OSU fan I would have no problem with PSU being ranked ahead of OSU given the head to head and the huge egg that OSU laid in the Fiesta Bowl. I do have a problem with Oklahoma being ranked ahead of OSU given that OSU beat them by 3TDs in their house at night.

ladies and gentlemen... a level headed OSU fan!

Not exactly sure how PSU ends up behind Ohio State. I mean they lost to the eventual National Champs, but got curb stomped and also lost to PSU. Not that it matters, but I think it's debatable.
It's the AP poll. Penn State is behind Ohio State who is behind Oklahoma. Michigan is behind Penn State and Wisconsin. It's all pretty irrelevant.

Reactions: moofafoo
Donnie Collins does great job taking down some of these AP voters.

http://blogs.thetimes-tribune.com/pennstate/?p=5252

But the nicest thing I can say about their rankings is that they pale in comparison to these voters, who ranked Penn State behind some combination of Ohio State, Michigan and, get this, Wisconsin:

Bob Asmussen (Champaign News Gazette)
Ed Daigneault (Republican American – Waterbury, CT)
Jimmy Burch (Fort Worth Star-Telegram)
Johnny Miller (WBZ News Radio 1030 – Boston)
Michael Bonner (Jackson Clarion-Ledger)
Rob Long (WJZ-FM 105.7 The Fan – Baltimore)
Ross Dellenger (The Advocate – Baton Rouge)

Where to begin with these seven?

Well, I’d like to start with Johnny Miller, the Boston radio man. He ranked Wisconsin No. 4. IN THE NATION. OUR NATION. THE US OF A. Five spots ahead of Penn State. FIVE!

Jeez, Johnny…seriously? Penn State BEAT Wisconsin just last month. In a conference championship game. On a neutral field. All that happened since is Penn State losing by three points — on a last-second field goal, mind you — to a USC team that finished third in the country. And Wisconsin won the Cotton Bowl, 24-16, against Western Michigan. Man, Johnny Miller must love P.J. Fleck. What a guy like Johnny Miller is telling you is that Wisconsin is better than Penn State, no matter the head-to-head result, no matter the scene of the game, no matter the meaning of the game, no matter when the game was played. Dumb.

I’d like to continue with Ross Dellenger and Michael Bonner, who watched Big Ten football so closely from the deep south this season that they determined the Big Ten champion was the fourth-best team in the Big Ten. Just a bang-up job, guys.

Yep, they ranked Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin ahead of them. Even though the Nittany Lions had a 2-1 record against the other three. Again, special kind of arrogance among this group to say “I don’t care that PSU beat Ohio State…OSU is better” and “I don’t care that Michigan finished so badly…Michigan is better because it beat PSU” and “I don’t care that PSU beat Wisconsin in a championship game on a neutral field…Wisconsin is better, because I just think so, that’s why.”

Did I say arrogance? Stupidity might be a better word.

Thanks Judge. Donnie's article is excellent in calling out the mindless or biased voters.

It's funny how people could rank us behind Michigan because head-to-head, but also rank us below two teams we beat head-to-head because suddenly that doesn't matter. The goalposts continually move to keep disfavoring us.

FWIW, this is the breakdown in how voters ranked us.
7 @ 4th
7 @ 5th
9 @ 6th
12 @ 7th
8 @ 8th
12 @ 9th
2 @ 10th
4 @ 11th

So 18 of 61 pollsters thought we were the 4th best team in the B1G. And 4 had us ranked lower than an Oklahoma State team who lost to a 7-loss Central Michigan team.

How are the AP voters determined? I didn't see any with an affiliation to PSU.

It's funny how people could rank us behind Michigan because head-to-head, but also rank us below two teams we beat head-to-head because suddenly that doesn't matter. The goalposts continually move to keep disfavoring us.

FWIW, this is the breakdown in how voters ranked us.
7 @ 4th
7 @ 5th
9 @ 6th
12 @ 7th
8 @ 8th
12 @ 9th
2 @ 10th
4 @ 11th

So 18 of 61 pollsters thought we were the 4th best team in the B1G. And 4 had us ranked lower than an Oklahoma State team who lost to a 7-loss Central Michigan team.

You nailed why the AP poll has become meaningless bullshit.

Reactions: jjsocrates
The AP as the Coaches are MERELY uninformed opinions. Actually the MP had PSU #4 behind Clemson, Alabama and USC :) AND has PSU at #3 behind the same teams (remove USC) for the start of next year.

Looking back at the positives, James Franklin arrived exactly 3 years ago and put Penn State back in the top ten.

Forget the idiots.

Year three into the process = mission accomplished for returning Penn State to glory.

Imagine what he can do in the next 3 years now that he has a Ferrari engine under the hood.

How are the AP voters determined? I didn't see any with an affiliation to PSU.
Roughly, each state gets 1 vote for each 2 FBS schools within the state. PA has 3 of them, so the state gets only 1 vote, not 2. There are also a few national voters-- ESPN, Yahoo, etc.

PA's voter this year was from Pittsburgh. But generally, they do rotate it around so it's not always the same guy or the same paper represented. Just think, if Jones had been PA's voter this year, he might have put us at 25 if we were lucky.

Using that logic how is Michigan ranked behind us? After all, they curb stomped us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT