ADVERTISEMENT

6th year

Add 118, drop to 120, same thing -- the bodies aren't there. It's hard to find 70+ good starters at 125 every single year. Making the limit 5 lb lighter makes that harder, not easier.

Until you can ID 60+ guys who would legitimately benefit from it every year -- not starve themselves into a lineup spot -- what's the point?

You are right about this: if Lizak were undersized, one solution would have been to drive all of his competition up a weight. (Then again, was he undersized when he finished 4th at states the year before, or did he need work?)

You're also adding an 11th weight class, which is a total non-starter with the NCAA due to Title IX.
You asked me to name a current wrestler which I did. Lizak was undersized his Senior year in high school. He moved up weight after winning state titles his sophomore and junior year. I know for a fact he could of made 113 that year but wanted to get ready for college. How many other kids make the same decision.
l brought up valid thoughts about giving opportunity to kids maybe to graduate in 4 years to save the parents the cost of an extra year for the kid that could slide into lineup without having to bulk up using a redshirt year. The talent pool is all revelent to who gets the opportunity to be recruited for whatever the weight. Probably a percentage high school kids stay down a weight if they know college has lighter weight.
I had the pleasure of paying for my 2 daughters to go to college. They went to state schools. I was fortunate enough to have one daughter graduate in 3 years, it was nice not having to pay 25k for that extra year. Think of the cost for out of state kid.
I understand that Article IX is the main issue about adding a scholarship, my thoughts are merely hypothetical if it was possible to add a weight, how I think the weights could break down.

Brad Silimperi was a prime example of a kid who would be undersized for 125.
I' m not saying that kids can't grow into 125 but I'm say that the 17-18 year old should have opportunity to to compete his freshman year. Not all kids want to go 5 plus years nor do the parents that have to pay for school.

They do have an opportunity to compete their freshman year. If they weigh 120lbs they can wrestle 125lbs. Nobody is saying they can't compete. How is this any different from any other sport where guys aren't good enough to compete? Weight is part of it. A line has to be drawn somewhere. If we use this as justification to create new weight classes then where does it stop? What about the kid who weighs 100lbs his freshman year of college? Are we going to create a weight for those kids, too so they can compete?

I wasn't good enough to play a sport in college so I didn't. The same goes for 99% of the country. If a kid weighs 118lbs and can't compete at 125lbs because they can't win then they are no different than the other 99% who can't cut it in college and they'll have to move on like the rest of us.

They do have an opportunity to compete their freshman year. If they weigh 120lbs they can wrestle 125lbs. Nobody is saying they can't compete. How is this any different from any other sport where guys aren't good enough to compete? Weight is part of it. A line has to be drawn somewhere. If we use this as justification to create new weight classes then where does it stop? What about the kid who weighs 100lbs his freshman year of college? Are we going to create a weight for those kids, too so they can compete?

I wasn't good enough to play a sport in college so I didn't. The same goes for 99% of the country. If a kid weighs 118lbs and can't compete at 125lbs because they can't win then they are no different than the other 99% who can't cut it in college and they'll have to move on like the rest of us.
I understand what you mentioned.
I just was trying to to convey if they would add an 11th weight it would give more of an opportunity to the small kid or the bigger kid to be recruited. It would also create weights closer to the freestyle weights.
The comment about the kids being bigger in high school is valid. It probably is more because the kids on average are 6 months older in every class than 30 years ago. Schools have changed Start month by birthday from Dec 1 to Aug 1. Plus parents hold their kids back.
I was 17 when I graduated and grew almost 2 inches the following year.
It's just a different time.

I understand what you mentioned.
I just was trying to to convey if they would add an 11th weight it would give more of an opportunity to the small kid or the bigger kid to be recruited. It would also create weights closer to the freestyle weights.
The comment about the kids being bigger in high school is valid. It probably is more because the kids on average are 6 months older in every class than 30 years ago. Schools have changed Start month by birthday from Dec 1 to Aug 1. Plus parents hold their kids back.
I was 17 when I graduated and grew almost 2 inches the following year.
It's just a different time.
Just out of curiosity, if they added an 11th weight class to give an additional opportunity why does it make sense to provide that opportunity to the smallest pool of athletes? To me it would make way more sense to do a participation study and get that 11th weight added into an area with the highest concentration of participants. That isn't the 18 to 23 year-old 118-120 pound student athlete.

Just out of curiosity, if they added an 11th weight class to give an additional opportunity why does it make sense to provide that opportunity to the smallest pool of athletes? To me it would make way more sense to do a participation study and get that 11th weight added into an area with the highest concentration of participants. That isn't the 18 to 23 year-old 118-120 pound student athlete.
I also adjusted the weights to include a 215 weight. I just thought by lowering the first weight would allow the smaller high school kid a more fair starting point to compete. I also added 129 to give some more flexibility.
It is obvious that you can not recruit for depth when trying to fill the lighter weight. If you get a stud 125 pounder no other "small" kid would entertain the thought of signing up knowing his options are limited. If you had a 129 weight you could potentially entice the second small kid on signing up.
If you recruit a 152 pounder in highschool that kid might be able to slot into 2 to 3 weights.

Maybe I was wrong about lowering the 125 weight a couple of pounds from the responses about it. I'm certain the NCAA would have an good idea of what would be best for the small incoming high school kids to have an opportunity to compete. I just looked at this year PIAA and checked out the 113 and 120 place winners and think 4 were seniors out of 16. Not a real strong amount to recruit from. I thought it would be around 40%.
I will recant the lower weight but will still wish for a 215-220 weight.

Fruitless, imo, to discuss an eleventh weight class. This contribution to the thread is a history of changes in weight classes, both number and weights. NCAA adopted wrestling in 1928.

1928: 115, 125, 135, 145, 158, 175, Unlimited (UNL) (Seven weight classes)
1929: 115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, UNL (Eight weight classes)
1931: 118, 126, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, UNL (Eight weight classes)
1932: Moved to the seven Olympic weight classes, returned to 1931 weights the following year. Same happened in 1936, a one-year move.
1938: 121, 128, 136, 145, 155, 165, 175, UNL (Eight weight classes)
1948: Again, used Olympic weight classes, returned the following year
1951: 123, 130, 137, 147, 157, 167, 177, UNL (Eight weight classes)
1952: Added 115 and 191 for NCAA Championship, optional for duals
1966: 123, 130, 137, 145, 152, 160, 167, 177, UNL (Nine weight classes)
1970: 118, 126, 134, 142, 150, 158, 167, 177, 190, UNL (Ten weight classes)
1987: Unlimited became 275
1999: 125, 133, 141, 149, 157, 165, 177, 184, 197, 285 (Ten weight classes, and where we are today)

Reactions: danoftw
Back to the original reason for thread. Per Casey-

We have heard that Skakur has received his and we are working on getting him healthy but we have heard nothing yet from the NCAA on Cassar.

Reactions: liex26
how often is the coach talk cryptic?

Back to the original reason for thread. Per Casey-

We have heard that Skakur has received his and we are working on getting him healthy but we have heard nothing yet from the NCAA on Cassar.

In an already exciting day of speculation (Gross), spoke to a source today that Anthony told him if he gets a 6th year he will be back. Hope it’s reliable. Same also goes for Shak
giphy.gif

Now wild and wonderful TR Foley said in his mailbag today that rumor is Ant knee has TWO more years left and he capitalized it too. It’s a shame his credibility falls somewhere between Baghdad Bob and Jim Baker on the believability scales.

Wow! I heard that name earlier and just assumed it was different kid with the same name. That’s crazy.

And Austin Matthews got yet another year, this one with Northern Colo. He was in Zains grade.

Technically what happened to Cassar. He was Zain's year and he got a 7th year also. He doesn't intend to use next year though but it's crazy he could if he wanted.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT