ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

Not sure where else to put this and some variations have been stated already, but the PSU transfer situation is so exaggerated to me.

To consider guys like Kerk and Messenbrink to be transfers in the same vain as Griffith and Davidson or Woods and Franek or even Nagao and Truax is just insane to me! Those two should be considered PSU guys, period! Neither wrestled a match that even counts for their original schools. They aren’t guns for hire like the majority of transfers, they just found a better fit before they ever even really got started.

Just had to get that off my chest because it drives me nuts when those two are lumped in with the others in any transfer talk.
4 of those guys were grad transfers. One of those 4 got 2 degrees from his original school before leaving.

A 5th guy on that list left his school only after his coach left.

None were Kerk or Mesenbrink.

Cardenas to NC?

Maybe. Though as a few others have stated, Cardenas would fit in nicely at PSU as a 1-year rental at 197. Would allow both Mirasola brothers to redshirt together, which could be a plus.

Edit - Never mind. Just saw the Cardenas is off to Ann Arbor for the Skunk Bears.

Last edited:
One of the best teachers ever. I was an econ major so I only had him for one of those forum classes-the only I didn't sleep through.
John Coyle was also PSU’s representative to the NCAA for many years. I had a 400 level
course with him that only had 4 students. He asked our ages and we then decamped to the Skeller. We took a booth and he professoriate’s on a stool at the head of the table. Yes, he was funny and very talented. He won several lifetime achievements from various Logistics organizations. Many winters he would join a bunch of pharmaceutical logistics folks down in Longboat key for fun & games and just a little education. He was a regular at Rec Hall to watch our guys.

Of Mechanicsburg HS and Elizabethtown College. There were a few District 3 lightweights wreaking havoc in the early years of Division 3 national championships.
Eric is also a personal friend, although I haven’t seen him in a long time. He was the head coach at Manheim Central near Lancaster for some time after he graduated.

John Coyle was also PSU’s representative to the NCAA for many years. I had a 400 level
course with him that only had 4 students. He asked our ages and we then decamped to the Skeller. We took a booth and he professoriate’s on a stool at the head of the table. Yes, he was funny and very talented. He won several lifetime achievements from various Logistics organizations. Many winters he would join a bunch of pharmaceutical logistics folks down in Longboat key for fun & games and just a little education. He was a regular at Rec Hall to watch our guys.
Dr Coyle was a revolutionary in supply chain. His theroies have fundamentaly transformed supply chains for the better. The Army doctrine for logistics during the Gulf War and beyond until present day are all based on his work. My favorite memory though was when the little sisters in my faternity pulled a prank. They sent a letter to our parents on PSU offical stationary (no clue to this day how they got it) explaining we had been expelled. My parents at this time were in Germany and had no idea what was going on. My father was good friends with Dr Coyle and asked him for help. Dr Coyle explained he would find out what was going on. When he determined that it was a prank he told my father that it was one of the best he had seen and he could not bring himself to punish the little sisters.

Last edited:
4 of those guys were grad transfers. One of those 4 got 2 degrees from his original school before leaving.

A 5th guy on that list left his school only after his coach left.

None were Kerk or Mesenbrink.
Not judging those examples or any transfer for that matter, but when people talk about PSU and “all of their transfers,” it kind of insinuates that the transfers and their performances have little to do with PSU. I don’t think Messenbrink and Kerk should be viewed that way, that’s all.

As for grad transfers and the whole Covid extra year thing, I thoroughly understand it all and I get why grad transfers (especially from Ivies) are happening at a rapid rate.

I could’ve just compared it to Bernie and Nagao and made my point just fine I’m sure. Nagao capitalized on an awesome year and Bernie capitalized on a grad transfer opportunity to attend his dream school - no judgement there either. Just different than the two others.

As for Cal Baptist, I’ve heard Mitchell in one interview insinuate to say the least that when he got there, the training methods were not something he was comfortable with and/or agreed with. They outkicked their coverage by landing a recruit like that before he really came in to his own and it sounds like they didn’t have the necessary resources to help him reach his goals.

Also, you mentioned some of my examples as leaving due to coaching changes and perhaps that validating their move…Kerk left right after Snyder did and I’m sure he planned on him as a training partner there.

Last edited:
Not judging those examples or any transfer for that matter, but when people talk about PSU and “all of their transfers,” it kind of insinuates that the transfers and their performances have little to do with PSU. I don’t think Messenbrink and Kerk should be viewed that way, that’s all.

As for grad transfers and the whole Covid extra year thing, I thoroughly understand it all and I get why grad transfers (especially from Ivies) are happening at a rapid rate.

I could’ve just compared it to Bernie and Nagao and made my point just fine I’m sure. Nagao capitalized on an awesome year and Bernie capitalized on a grad transfer opportunity to attend his dream school - no judgement there either. Just different than the two others.

As for Cal Baptist, I’ve heard Mitchell in one interview insinuate to say the least that when he got there, the training methods were not something he was comfortable with and/or agreed with. They outkicked their coverage by landing a recruit like that before he really came in to his own and it sounds like they didn’t have the necessary resources to help him reach his goals.

Also, you mentioned some of my examples as leaving due to coaching changes and perhaps that validating there move…Kerk left right after Snyder did and I’m sure he planned on him as a training partner there.
Not disputing any of the reasons for the transfers. All good points.

The only thing I'm disputing is this whole idea of "that transfer doesn't really count as a transfer because of homertastic reasons that we would never accept from any other fanbase." They're still transfers.

This notion about Kerk and Mesenbrink isn't the win you guys think it is.

They left their original schools by their own choice, without first obtaining a degree, and it doesn't matter if they left after a week or a month or a year or 3 years.

Try telling Cal Baptist that Mesenbrink doesn't really count as a transfer.
It’s like saying you are only a little bit pregnant. That being said, you use all the tools available to improve your team. Coaches like Tom Ryan who say otherwise are lying.

Not disputing any of the reasons for the transfers. All good points.

The only thing I'm disputing is this whole idea of "that transfer doesn't really count as a transfer because of homertastic reasons that we would never accept from any other fanbase." They're still transfers.
I agree. If a kid was at one school and then switches he's a transfer technically no way around it.

Reactions: Iachickens

Also, you mentioned some of my examples as leaving due to coaching changes and perhaps that validating there move…Kerk left right after Snyder did and I’m sure he planned on him as a training partner there.
I think Askren even cautioned Messenbrink about going to Cal Baptist due to lack of quality training partners.

It’s like saying you are only a little bit pregnant. That being said, you use all the tools available to improve your team. Coaches like Tom Ryan who say otherwise are lying.
Speaking of which: Not how he would've handled it.

• Haha
Reactions: diggerpup
I still remember when the very first ever D3 champion, Eric Mast, knocked off the #1 seeded guy in the 2nd round of the NCAA tournament in 1974.
Elizabethtown College and Mechanicsburg High School (District 3)

Reactions: Zukovski
Speaking of which: Not how he would've handled it.

If Tan Tom wants an asterisk on the NCAA team points record, what's he gonna do with those posters in Covelli proclaiming Kollin Moore and Luke Pletcher as 2020 national champs?

Talk about irony.

At times Ryan's douchery has no limits.

Last edited:
If Tan Tom wants an asterisk on the NCAA team points record, what's he gonna do with those posters in Covelli proclaiming Kollin Moore and Luke Pletcher as 2020 national champs?

Talk about irony.

At times Ryan's douchery has no limits.

I would love to see that picture and question response!

This notion about Kerk and Mesenbrink isn't the win you guys think it is.

They left their original schools by their own choice, without first obtaining a degree, and it doesn't matter if they left after a week or a month or a year or 3 years.

Try telling Cal Baptist that Mesenbrink doesn't really count as a transfer.
It depends the context of the discussion. Yes, they were clearly transfers, and in the context of schools that lost wrestlers in the portal, they absolutely count, but if the discussion is about how “transfers” regress compared to homegrown recruits, guys like Kerk and MM should be viewed more like “recruits” Than transfers.

Does Chris Foca have to transfer out of Cornell like Cardenas? If so, could he bump up to 197 for one year at PSU? Always like Foca…

Does Chris Foca have to transfer out of Cornell like Cardenas? If so, could he bump up to 197 for one year at PSU? Always like Foca…
I think Foca will have plenty of suitors at 184 if he transfers. I have no interest in him coming to challenge for 184. The difference between him and Barr (if there is a difference at all) is not nearly enough to tip any scales. If he’s sick of cutting or something and wants to come and move up, OK, I guess, but I’m plenty fine with Cochran, too.

Reactions: Roar More
Most/all of the Cornell guys were not enrolled in 2021 to retain their Ivy eligibility.

Assuning Foca was one of them, he has only used 3 yrs and doesn't need to transfer.

I know nothing about the person that posted, I just saw it posted on GIA. It is interesting that they are from the same high shool as Joel Jesuroga. Strange that three from the same school are all (possibly) leaving at the same time.
And Joel's brother gave up wrestling or he would have been at Iowa. Something in the water?

Dr Coyle was a revolutionary in supply chain. His theroies have fundamentaly transformed supply chains for the better. The Army doctrine for logistics during the Gulf War and beyond until present day are all based on his work. My favorite memory though was when the little sisters in my faternity pulled a prank. They sent a letter to our parents on PSU offical stationary (no clue to this day how they got it) explaining we had be expelled. My parents at this time were in Germany and had no idea what was going on. My father was good friends with Dr Coyle and asked him for help. Dr Coyle explained he would find out what was going on. When he determined that it was a prank he told my father that it was one of the best he had seen and he could not bring himself to punish the little sisters.
Great story. I’ll pass this along to the many Coyle alums that drink with me before and after PSU sports events.

Michigan seems to be taking a page out of former Redskins coach George Allen’s playbook: acquire established talent and don’t concern yourself too much with acquiring young talent. The problem with that approach is eventually that established talent moves on. You can’t sustain a team when there’s constant turnover and no new talent coming in to fill in the gaps

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT