ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

Re: Willie’s post… if there has been talk of someone, then I assume it is someone wrestling freestyle right now and wanting that coaching until his freestyle season is over this year. In other words, most likely Facundo or Barraclough, or possibly Steen or Evans, as the latter two are signed up for the last chance qualifier. (Barraclough also is signed up for last chance.)
I’d guess Barraclough, but that’s just an uninformed guess. Between Facundo & Barraclough, Facundo beat TB at the US Open, so I’d guess he has the inside track on 174 right now (with Ryder still to hold off for the spot) and wouldn’t look to leave. Regardless, there’s going to be a serious log jam in a year or two even if they both go.

Iron sharpens iron…. It always works out. Not many who have transferred out have been successful. Bubba and Nicky won titles. Beard an AA. Who else?

In time it is inevitable.

I don't think that Grey & Redshirts can address all of the overlap that is on the horizon. I am sure that Cael is up front with all of our kids, and quite honestly the combination of the Portal and NIL may actually drive up the market price of some hammers in our room, when after a redshirt year they see the writing is on the wall.

The Gibson brothers are just one example where the chances of a multi year starter career seem to be quite unlikely. Maybe they stay, maybe not, but my guess is they collect a very minor % of the 9.9 if any, and NIL for them at PSU is probably limited as well. There are lot of programs that could present a pretty attractive package to them.

I really like the depth this program is building and this year was a glowing example of the benefits. Nonetheless, I also like the idea that those who don't make it to the top level in our program can get a second chance at a solid career somewhere.
You are on the money with your comments. I don’t see a big problem. It’s very competitive inside and outside the room. The best stay! The “not best” either stay to be on a NC team and enjoy life in the Vortex or transfer out. Kids will always dream of standing on the podium and PSU offers the best chance to do so. If things don’t work out, they can still have a hellofa good time wrestling elsewhere.

Reactions: SlipperyPete12
giphy.gif

In time it is inevitable.

I don't think that Grey & Redshirts can address all of the overlap that is on the horizon. I am sure that Cael is up front with all of our kids, and quite honestly the combination of the Portal and NIL may actually drive up the market price of some hammers in our room, when after a redshirt year they see the writing is on the wall.

The Gibson brothers are just one example where the chances of a multi year starter career seem to be quite unlikely. Maybe they stay, maybe not, but my guess is they collect a very minor % of the 9.9 if any, and NIL for them at PSU is probably limited as well. There are lot of programs that could present a pretty attractive package to them.

I really like the depth this program is building and this year was a glowing example of the benefits. Nonetheless, I also like the idea that those who don't make it to the top level in our program can get a second chance at a solid career somewhere.
  • We have a coach who has been talking about process rather than results for 10-plus years.
  • We now have evidence of many, many PSU wrestlers who talk about process rather than results when they are interviewed.
  • But we frequently have fans of the program and always have non-fans of the program viewing PSU athlete decisions from a results-based perspective rather than a processed-based one.
Is it really inevitable?

• We have a coach who has been talking about process rather than results for 10-plus years.
  • We now have evidence of many, many PSU wrestlers who talk about process rather than results when they are interviewed.
  • But we frequently have fans of the program and always have non-fans of the program viewing PSU athlete decisions from a results-based perspective rather than a processed-based one.
Is it really inevitable?
Yes. You can't fix stupid.

Reactions: dicemen99
Is it really inevitable?
We may lose 1 or 2 kids in the next 10 years who leave for grad school -- the academic process matters too.

I'm mostly kidding. Am with you -- the entire concept is blown out of proportion. There are no floodgates to open.

Didn't this kid go to the navy seals?
There’s a lot of guys who say they want to be Navy Seals and get no closer than the brochure.

Tiger Woods claiming he would have been one had he not been a pro golfer always made me laugh. Then it turns out the Seals let him train with them and his cheap ass never picked up the lunch tab so they told him to beat it

Not sure they or Jesuroga were being counted on other than practice partners. Tom cutting bait…. He’s all in on the portal!
Seems a little risky though doesn't it? Why would you cut loose highly regarded wrestling recruits you already have, in exchange for the hope and prayers of getting a group of transfers that you don't have and don't even know for sure who they might be?

I know nothing about the person that posted, I just saw it posted on GIA. It is interesting that they are from the same high shool as Joel Jesuroga. Strange that three from the same school are all (possibly) leaving at the same time.
And that they're all Sebolt.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
That was his brother, Nate.
Good for him! We all know wrestling is a difficult sport that takes a ton of dedication and sacrifice, it can be a grind even for those who love it. Once that fire goes out, I can't imagine pushing through, especially at the next level (college). Best wishes to him and I admire his desire to serve in the military.

I know nothing about the requirements for entry into any special ops groups, but he seems small to me. Do these elite groups have min. size and height requirements?

Seems a little risky though doesn't it? Why would you cut loose highly regarded wrestling recruits you already have, in exchange for the hope and prayers of getting a group of transfers that you don't have and don't even know for sure who they might be?
The 4 guys that are leaving Iowa are all career room guys. It's not a big deal. The Martinsons and Jesuroga are all from the same high school, so it would seem likely they all go together to a smaller school together.

I know nothing about the person that posted, I just saw it posted on GIA. It is interesting that they are from the same high shool as Joel Jesuroga. Strange that three from the same school are all (possibly) leaving at the same time.
Saw someone say on GIA that they are step-brothers now (said their parents got married). Would make it logical they are a package deal

Yeah, but, 4 guys leaving Iowa?
It's like the equivalent of Wentzel, Pierce, and the remaining Lee brothers leaving Penn State (maybe to go start the PSU Altoona program on the right foot). Would anyone even bat an eye?

It's like the equivalent of Wentzel, Pierce, and the remaining Lee brothers leaving Penn State (maybe to go start the PSU Altoona program on the right foot). Would anyone even bat an eye?
I’m struck that four guys are leaving the program. No matter the level at which they are wrestling.

I hope PSU doesn’t get anymore transfers. Their team is already stacked and have great young talent coming in. I look forward to seeing Lilledahl, Barr, The Mirasola brothers, Sealey and all the other killers they got coming in. If Carter doesn’t return, I could see Facundo taking that spot. Cochran could man 197 and I think Kerk comes back.

If Barraclough leaves, I will still root for him and hope he goes deep in the tournament.

I hope PSU doesn’t get anymore transfers. Their team is already stacked and have great young talent coming in. I look forward to seeing Lilledahl, Barr, The Mirasola brothers, Sealey and all the other killers they got coming in. If Carter doesn’t return, I could see Facundo taking that spot. Cochran could man 197 and I think Kerk comes back.

If Barraclough leaves, I will still root for him and hope he goes deep in the tournament.
The only situation where I think they would want to pursue a transfer is for HWT, only if Kerk doesn't come back (which he likely will). If he leaves, there is only Mirasola with no plan B, and I think they probably want to redshirt him anyway.

Reactions: RealMicah
The difference is in the next couple years there will be multiple wrestlers leave who we don’t want to that go on to compete for National titles.

The difference is in the next couple years there will be multiple wrestlers leave who we don’t want to that go on to compete for National titles.
Doubtful , maybe 1 , multiple leave to compete for natty titles? I’d take that bet

Doubtful , maybe 1 , multiple leave to compete for natty titles? I’d take that bet
They aren’t all going to get in the lineup. These classes are stacked with top talent unlike prior classes. I’m not saying it’s a bad thing it’s going to be inevitable. Who is the best guy who left so far in this era? Beard? Suriano didn’t leave because he couldn’t make the lineup.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT