ADVERTISEMENT

2023 US Open

Pantaleo Hidlay on now on 10. Pantaleo with the fall.

Mark will also be on 10. Wins 8-2

S'Mac vs. Nate Jackson in the hole on 9
Good so far. Nate's double is deadly, but Morgan is a gamer, great inside step, and good scrambler. 8-6 Nate w/ 1:40 left. Jackson adds another double, a lace, and a desparation go-behind, wins 14-6.

Carter did forfeit to Marinelli.

Last edited:
While the score was close (3-2), Bartlett gets a leg, drives Ashnault to the edge and Ashnault flees out of bounds.
Step-out, and caution + 1 confirmed.
5-2.

Ashnault keeps whining towards the ref and his corner.
So at the whistle, Beau just plants him with a blast double - LMFAO, drives him to the edge & Ashnault basically runs out of bound again, getting smacked with another caution + 1.

Rutger Magic turns a 3-2 match into 10-2 score in about 10 seconds.

I'm not a doctor but the position Starocci hurt his knee didn't look like anything like would imply a tear or anything. Just a powerful double from a grown man.
Didn’t see the match. Was it straight on and maybe Carter hyperextended his knee/hurt his posterior cruciate ligament?

That hurts and will affect you, but, if you’re going to hurt a knee ligament, that’s the one to hurt

While the score was close (3-2), Bartlett gets a leg, drives Ashnault to the edge and Ashnault flees out of bounds.
Step-out, and caution + 1 confirmed.
5-2.

Ashnault keeps whining towards the ref and his corner.
So at the whistle, Beau just plants him with a blast double - LMFAO, drives him to the edge & Ashnault basically runs out of bound again, getting smacked with another caution + 1.

Rutger Magic turns a 3-2 match into 10-2 score in about 10 seconds.
Boom
Blowing Up Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons

Man is Bartlett looking good. Looks like his performance at NCAA’s has given him a to of confidence.
His wins over Henderson & Ashnault suggest his 10-10 loss on criteria to Nick was no fluke. Maybe that result wasn't Nick being sloppy so much as it was Beau jumping levels. Bodes well for next season.

Starocci's a quitter, too, apparently. What is it with these 3-time champs? Can't handle the conso's at all, I guess. He obviously should be kicked off the team, banned for life from wrestling, and kids should no longer look up to him as a role model. No excuses, right?! Agghh, just throwing sarcasm and a little perspective. Hopefully his injury isn't too serious.

Starocci's a quitter, too, apparently. What is it with these 3-time champs? Can't handle the conso's at all, I guess. He obviously should be kicked off the team, banned for life from wrestling, and kids should no longer look up to him as a role model. No excuses, right?! Agghh, just throwing sarcasm and a little perspective. Hopefully his injury isn't too serious.
I'm going to withhold judgment until we hear from his dad.

If he had thrown out the "excuses are for wusses" line while making excuses I would tend to agree....but alas...he didn't.

I don't, in fact I still laugh out loud every time I watch it.
Is it possible to do both? It was a terribly personal and painful moment for her that went viral because it is absurd and hilarious to everyone else seeing her destroy a pair of eyeglasses as if that would unsee what just happened. I feel sorry that her moment of pain went viral but I also laugh when I see it.

Lovett w/ a nice comeback over Lugo 7-5
Beau and Nick up, Nolf will be on 3, Cenzo will be on 4
Difference between obviously sustaining an injury during a match, favoring that injury while trying to compete, and not being able to go the next day …. versus (twice) giving up based on losing and/or just not feeling right after wins or last second losses.

Thx, KPS. That’s some next level interview analysis and insight.

Now if we could just get body language, lie detection, and public relations experts to weigh in, we should be able to issue a formal board assessment of Lar’s interview and the entire Lee clan soon. ;)

Joking aside, I had a bit of a different take and came away with the impression that Pyles and Lar rehearsed the interview but Lar forgot some of his lines and had to ad lib at times.

And maybe having dad do the interview was the Lee’s way of trying to rehabilitate the family’s image and neutralize the optics of mom’s public meltdown. For some reason I can imagine Pyles making that pitch to Lar. Either way, the interview did have a bit of a LeBron James “The Decision” feel to it.
Who cares about their family image though (other than them) to give such an interview? I could not pick many of the PSU parents out of a lineup, unless Cenzo’s mom had her white hat on! It should be about the wrestler, not the family. It’s very dysfunctional.

The Iowa affect. Push and shove and demand the referee intercede on your behalf. Whine, pout and be angry when he doesn't.

It ain't just an Iowa wrestling style, when not careful it manifests into a lifestyle.
Hey Dude, that is some deep thinking !!!

The whole Spencer lost because of his knees needs to stop. At nationals he flat out got outwrestled and beat by a better competitor.

In the Open he was fine, right up to the moment he was going to wrestle a well conditioned truck. My opinion is he knew he wasn't going to have anything for Suriano so his conclusion was why bother.
Ever since Suriano announced on Nov 28, 2021 he was wrestling his final season for Michigan, and within 30 days Spencer Lee conveniently announces he's taking the season off before wrestling Suriano, I felt like Lee was a chicken sh*t ducker. And now this. How convenient.

Difference between obviously sustaining an injury during a match, favoring that injury while trying to compete, and not being able to go the next day …. versus (twice) giving up based on losing and/or just not feeling right after wins or last second losses.
How do you know he was injured? Maybe he just wanted out and that was the way to hide his excuse. Again, just pointing out how ridiculously slanted people can look at the same topic. Wish no ill will on Starocci, but nobody knows how anyone is feeling in reality if they are not in their shoes. Maybe he could have continued, but just didn't want to.

How do you know he was injured? Maybe he just wanted out and that was the way to hide his excuse. Again, just pointing out how ridiculously slanted people can look at the same topic. Wish no ill will on Starocci, but nobody knows how anyone is feeling in reality if they are not in their shoes. Maybe he could have continued, but just didn't want to.
Now do Lugo & Eierman.

I have an idea! Over on GIA, they complain about all the Penn State wrestling fans who post there, talking about Iowa wrestling. Over here, we have the same problem. Maybe we should start a new forum here that is specifically for Penn State fans to talk Iowa wrestling. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Because many people watching the match said “uhoh, looks like Starocci hurt his knee on that exchange…. Oh good it looks like he is continuing…. Seems to be favoring it but probably not too serious since he is continuing…”. Etc.

There isn’t anyone who said that about Spencer in the 3rd period of NCAA semis, nor yesterday.

It is a bad look for Spencer. It just is. Is he the only guy who would do it that way? Probably not…, but that doesn’t make it look good as a competitor he has been and still wants to be,

Who cares about their family image though (other than them) to give such an interview? I could not pick many of the PSU parents out of a lineup, unless Cenzo’s mom had her white hat on! It should be about the wrestler, not the family. It’s very dysfunctional.
Apparently Pyle cares, although his efforts are backfiring spectacularly.

Could you go over that again and highlight the "perspective"? I think you forgot to include that part of your post.

Reactions: 86PSUPaul
If he had thrown out the "excuses are for wusses" line while making excuses I would tend to agree....but alas...he didn't.
Carter clearly got injured. It’s not like others haven’t done it. Happens a lot.

Lee self created his own standard, boasting in the process, and has a repeating pattern in tournament losses followed by personal silence. The Dad 30 on 30 episode just made it even weirder.

Another attempt at perspective?
Keep practicing. It's the only way to get better at it.

Yeah, maybe you're right. See if you can get Pyle to conduct a 60 minutes-style sit down with Starocci's dad so he can set the record straight.

Reactions: Hotshoe
Ever since Suriano announced on Nov 28, 2021 he was wrestling his final season for Michigan, and within 30 days Spencer Lee conveniently announces he's taking the season off before wrestling Suriano, I felt like Lee was a chicken sh*t ducker. And now this. How convenient.
You can't be serious. Please reference their NCAA final match:

Suriano could only score a gift escape point with just seconds remaining.
And, Lee did have double ACL surgery not longer after stepping away that season. I forgot, he tore them both on purpose to avoid Suriano.
This is total BS take.

The 76kg women’s quarterfinals are all incredible matchups. We get

Adeline Gray vs Sydnee Kimber
Kylie Welker vs Dymond Guilford
Yelena Makoyed vs Precious Bell
Ashley Lekas vs Kennedy Blades

Those are some fire matchups. I have Gray, Welker, Makoyed, and Blades coming through

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT