ADVERTISEMENT

2022 Recruiting Class Thread

The play of the PSU RB's this season has to be the biggest disappointment among position performance. Other than Lovett in his small sample size of carries, none of them look quick, decisive, or even fast, although there have not been an overabundance of opportunities to show their speed. Granted the run blocking has not been real good, but I watch other games and the better RB's find a way to make someone miss, bust a play that was designed to go inside to the outside, etc., whereas our RB's just seem to stop at the point of attach and get tackled.

So for me, it would not be surprising to see Singleton come in and end up as the #1 RB by 2022 midseason.

The play of the PSU RB's this season has to be the biggest disappointment among position performance. Other than Lovett in his small sample size of carries, none of them look quick, decisive, or even fast, although there have not been an overabundance of opportunities to show their speed. Granted the run blocking has not been real good, but I watch other games and the better RB's find a way to make someone miss, bust a play that was designed to go inside to the outside, etc., whereas our RB's just seem to stop at the point of attach and get tackled.

So for me, it would not be surprising to see Singleton come in and end up as the #1 RB by 2022 midseason.
1. Our Oline and TE's whiff more than Dave Kingman. I went back and watched the Iowa game and our RB's are not near as elusive enough to beat a whiff.

2. Singleton might be the answer, but dang they need to learn how to run block. What is crazy is they are very good at pass blocking.

I watch a ton of football, as I'm sure you do too. In the other games you've seen don't you see the teams opening at least SOME holes? Show me a hole one of our RBs has had this season. Just one. It's not the RBs, it's the OL. The only question is are they being coached/developed incorrectly, or do they just not have the talent? Cain, Lovett, and Lee have all shown the ability to gain yards before, so that, coupled with the lack of holes to run through, leads to only one conclusion. But I will also say part of it is scheme, we so rarely try to run outside.

My un-favorite moment was rewatching the 4th and 1 that didn't go for a TD against Indiana. The play drawn up was perfect. Lee was also the perfect back to give the ball to on that play. The reply showed it from behind, and you can see the play developing, and when you pause it just before the blocks of the TE and RB, you say to yourself, "how did we not score on this?" Well, we didn't, because the RB and TE both whiffed on blocks and Indiana had two players stand up Lee at the line. Lee probably runs over one defender, but not two. Even Earl Campbell goes down on that play.

Keyvone Lee's 44 yard run vs Indiana.

Saquon, Miles, Journey, they would have scored on that play. Lee had burst for 30 yards before the secondary ran him down.
Our RB's Do Not Run Hard. Take a look at Goodson for Iowa, the two RB's for Auburn, the RB's for UM. They all run hard into the "crease" not necessarily a hole, break tackles and gain positive yardage. Our RB's run into the line and fall down. The OL is to blame somewhat, but after "6 years" the blame has to be spread around.

Remember Barkley against Minny in 2016? He had something like -12 yards rushing the entire 2nd half. Thank God he broke the OT run into the winning TD.

Our RB's Do Not Run Hard. Take a look at Goodson for Iowa, the two RB's for Auburn, the RB's for UM. They all run hard into the "crease" not necessarily a hole, break tackles and gain positive yardage. Our RB's run into the line and fall down. The OL is to blame somewhat, but after "6 years" the blame has to be spread around.

Remember Barkley against Minny in 2016? He had something like -12 yards rushing the entire 2nd half. Thank God he broke the OT run into the winning TD.

I also noticed that they are now overthinking things. Clearly the coaches have told them just to hit the hole and put their heads down. I thought our RB"s missed a lot of cutbacks and holes against iowa just smashing it up into a predetermined gap last week. Im all for telling a guy like Kevyonn to get up field, but I don't want our guys to lose any and all instincts and vision.

Reactions: gslachta
I also noticed that they are now overthinking things. Clearly the coaches have told them just to hit the hole and put their heads down. I thought our RB"s missed a lot of cutbacks and holes against iowa just smashing it up into a predetermined gap last week. Im all for telling a guy like Kevyonn to get up field, but I don't want our guys to lose any and all instincts and vision.
How do you know what the coaches have told the RB's to do? I doubt the coaches have told the RB's to just push into a pile when the outside is open for a 10 yard run.

RB's have to use their peripheral vision to see the holes that develop on every play, but it seems the PSU RB's get too close to the pile, just hesitate too long when the hole that the play is designed for is not there. They just don't react to the speed of the game and run to daylight as the top RB's from other teams seem to do.

Why? Who knows. It would be a good question for someone to ask Franklin at his next PC.

Last edited:

Just from pure statistical read, it sounds like the Johnson kid is a stud at WR. He's on a losing team in mid-to-high level ball and he's racking up catches, yards, and TDs.

Any further evaluation of him since the season started? Any plans to hop on I-81 and go watch him before the season ends?

Abdul Carter appears to have the frame and speed and agility to stick at LB, IMHO. Dude is a straight killer.
May end up being even better at DE. If Barham commits then you feel better about moving him to wherever he can do the most damage.

Also, just want to say it was a fun decade of talking recruiting for free with everyone here. Thanks Tom and all who contributed!

Mark my words😂will enroll in January and you will see him in the Blue White game. He has great speed, strength, and he will see a lot of time next year.

Reactions: LionsandBear
Zane Durant's highlight video reminds me of Brandon Graham. He is compact, powerful, and quick. Oh, and productive!
...and Z. Durant's production does not seem to be a result of being on a "powerhouse" team with other stars that could take the other team's game planning focus off of him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT