ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting

Prob not super high on the list but Chappell committed to Bucknell.

Kaminski goes to Sem.

Not my point, if he can't beat Seth than why spend the money. Also Seth was a 12 pfp and kerk was #1 In 2019.

Not saying Seth could beat him, I just would bet the 2 years Seth has been in with NLWC guys have improved his game immensly,and he’d give Kerk all he could handle.

Did you ever consider Kerk may want to come here to be in the same room as 3 heavy oly champs??

Titus is supposed to be at Ironman this year, so we should get to see him versus some pretty good competition.
I saw Titus at Waterway this year. One match only, but he reminded me of Busiello on his feet - giving up his legs and making a living off of funky counters (not necessarily funk defense).

Again, it was just one match and he could have just been screwing around, but that's a tough way to make a living in D1 (if you're name is not Seth Gross).

Reactions: tikk10 and danoftw
You seem confident that Kerk is gonna beat Seth. Have they wrestled recently?

Granted it is Freestyle but this is recent and might convince you. Kirk is a world class freestyler, and Cassi is no Kirk. The Cassar like blast double at the end is not a confidence builder.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/...assioppi-u-of-iowa-vs-seth-nevills-unattached

Seth should AA right out of the gate but starting next year and for the several years following I think the top 6 will be:

1). Gable
2). Kirk
3). AJ Ferrari
4). Mason Parris
5). Braxton Amos after he moves up
6). Cassioppi

Last edited:
Granted it is Freestyle but this is recent and might convince you. Kirk is a world class freestyler, and Cassi is no Kirk. The Cassar like blast double at the end is not a confidence builder.

https://www.flowrestling.org/video/...assioppi-u-of-iowa-vs-seth-nevills-unattached

Seth should AA right out of the gate but starting next year and for the several years following I think the top 6 will be:

1). Gable
2). Kirk
3). AJ Ferrari
4). Mason Parris
6). Cassioppi
Wood and Stencil may bust up that party next year, and Orndorff, Hillger, maybe even Singletary and Elam, for the next two years. This is the most enjoyable era of heavyweight wrestling, overall, in my almost half-a-century of following college wrestling. Not saying any will beat a special talent like Steveson, but top-6 isn't out of the question.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

1). Gable
2). Kirk
3). AJ Ferrari
4). Mason Parris
6). Cassioppi
Amos isn't moving up. Wisky also landed prize HWT Copass from Illinois -- after Amos.

Add in Cohlton Schultz, who beat Snacks in HS. Catka and Kaminski are both world team members. IDK if they beat Snacks but they can't be dismissed.

Plus the guys Roar named. Orndorff just beat Hall and Wood in the same weekend.

HWT division looking very strong for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Str8DBLz
I’m not El Jefe, but I’d hope for names like VanNess, Victor Voinovich, Paniro Johnson, the Herrera kid. Also perhaps an Avery Bassett would fill that need in years to come. Crookham would be the 2022 Gem
Bassett came off the board today. Army.

Reactions: jschrantz
Amos isn't moving up. Wisky also landed prize HWT Copass from Illinois -- after Amos.

Add in Cohlton Schultz, who beat Snacks in HS. Catka and Kaminski are both world team members. IDK if they beat Snacks but they can't be dismissed.

Plus the guys Roar named. Orndorff just beat Hall and Wood in the same weekend.

HWT division looking very strong for the foreseeable future.

I have a feeling the kid is not quite yet done growing yet. He is super powerful and athletic which seems to be the more prototypical these days. He is 220 now, we'll see how fun a 25 lb cut remains 2-3 years from now. I know they have another strong recruit but Braxton is better, and I see him staying down at 197 for 2 years max. Cael recruited him but I don't think it was for 197, the same for Ferrari. Both are undersized 'now' but could fill out to 240ish pretty easily.

I have a feeling the kid is not quite yet done growing yet. He is super powerful and athletic which seems to be the more prototypical these days. He is 220 now, we'll see how fun a 25 lb cut remains 2-3 years from now. I know they have another strong recruit but Braxton is better, and I see him staying down at 197 for 2 years max.
You're assuming it will be a 25 lb cut. Some kids wrestle up in HS for the challenge.

Berge this year is still below his HS weight. So is Starocci. Ball too. McCutcheon did for several years, and only moved up when Bo moved into his weight..

Poulin is far more well rounded than Titus at this point and will almost assuredly be a career 125 guy, though there is some concern about him ever being big enough. But his mat wrestling truly sets him apart. Obviously flipping Figs would be the ideal scenario, which would then allow you to go Figueroa, Howard, Bartlett at some point, but I'm not sure how much those guys want to sit and with two more years of RBY and Busiello possibly coming back into the fold I think it'll be a tough sell for Figueroa.

As for 2021 guys elsewhere, I think you have to make a play for Van Ness. He could be the top guy in that class regardless of weight and there's definitely a good chance he ends up a 149, which right now looks like it could be a spot needing filled for PSU. I would consider Carson Manville a non-entity at this point. He was struggling a bit prior to his injury and it was very serious injury that was a gigantic setback, I'm not sure as a program you can dedicate a real chunk of money to him right now.

Facundo is super talented, but I do have slight questions about his versatility from neutral. He struggled a good bit against Kennedy at WNO and struggled to score when needed at Cadet Worlds. Voinovich is a pipe dream, but he's gonna be a hammer. Same with Gallagher who I think is Iowa bound.

Wish PSU were in on Drake Ayala, he's going to be an animal at 125 wherever he chooses. Pinto was a bit of a miss as well, but nowhere in the lineup for him really right now with Starocci and Brooks holding down the fort.

Herrera-Rondon is by far the most intriguing. He is/was such a hammer on top at 106/113 then bumped all the way up to 132. I *think* he'll be fine with time, but I'm curious to see how he adjusts.

Poulin is far more well rounded than Titus at this point and will almost assuredly be a career 125 guy, though there is some concern about him ever being big enough. But his mat wrestling truly sets him apart. Obviously flipping Figs would be the ideal scenario, which would then allow you to go Figueroa, Howard, Bartlett at some point, but I'm not sure how much those guys want to sit and with two more years of RBY and Busiello possibly coming back into the fold I think it'll be a tough sell for Figueroa.

As for 2021 guys elsewhere, I think you have to make a play for Van Ness. He could be the top guy in that class regardless of weight and there's definitely a good chance he ends up a 149, which right now looks like it could be a spot needing filled for PSU. I would consider Carson Manville a non-entity at this point. He was struggling a bit prior to his injury and it was very serious injury that was a gigantic setback, I'm not sure as a program you can dedicate a real chunk of money to him right now.

Facundo is super talented, but I do have slight questions about his versatility from neutral. He struggled a good bit against Kennedy at WNO and struggled to score when needed at Cadet Worlds. Voinovich is a pipe dream, but he's gonna be a hammer. Same with Gallagher who I think is Iowa bound.

Wish PSU were in on Drake Ayala, he's going to be an animal at 125 wherever he chooses. Pinto was a bit of a miss as well, but nowhere in the lineup for him really right now with Starocci and Brooks holding down the fort.

Herrera-Rondon is by far the most intriguing. He is/was such a hammer on top at 106/113 then bumped all the way up to 132. I *think* he'll be fine with time, but I'm curious to see how he adjusts.
Do guys like Figueroa worry about where they fit in a lineup?

In any case, that might not be a concern. If RBY never shirts, his SR year will be Figs' true freshman year. Or Howard or Bartlett could shirt that year. Etc.

Busiello (if he comes) IMO is more likely to get squeezed.

Agree completely on Van Ness, and his style is a perfect match for PSU. Gotta wonder if Rutgers has any gravitational pull with his dad being an alum.

We'll find out a lot about Herrera at his new weight next month -- Seneca Valley goes to the Cumberland Valley tourney and Ironman on consecutive weekends.

Reactions: Ja1339

In any case, that might not be a concern. If RBY never shirts, his SR year will be Figs' true freshman year. Or Howard or Bartlett could shirt that year. Etc.

Agree completely on Van Ness, and his style is a perfect match for PSU. Gotta wonder if Rutgers has any gravitational pull with his dad being an alum.

We'll find out a lot about Herrera at his new weight next month -- Seneca Valley goes to the Cumberland Valley tourney and Ironman on consecutive weekends.

Normally I'd say no to that first question, but when the guy across from you is Robbie Howard then maybe? I mean Figs is still pretty small. But you're right about it not being an issue if RBY doesn't redshirt, though next year *could* be a redux of the Zain and Nico RS year.

I expect Herrera to figure it out. He's a good kid, and a smart kid. But his length was a much bigger asset at 106 and 113.

We're in complete agreement on SVN. He's just a goer who doesn't care if he gets score on because he knows he can score on anyone. He's such a perfect style fit. I know Rutgers just had 2 champs and his dad went there, but if PSU goes after him hard you gotta think he at least listens, right?

My only concern is that PSU hasn't had a Blair kid since Ed, who wasn't *really* a Blair kid. Do Cael and Antonelli get along?

For once EJ I agree 100%, well done

My only concern is that PSU hasn't had a Blair kid since Ed, who wasn't *really* a Blair kid. Do Cael and Antonelli get along?
Obviously no insight about their relationship -- but wondering how many Blair products Cael would've been interested in anyway.

Quick search dug up this list of Blair alums who qualified for 2018 nationals. Of them, I'm fairly certain only McKenna appealed to Cael.
https://www.blair.edu/athletics/win...alumni-compete-in-ncaa-championships-20180305

PS, can't talk about PSU recruiting Blair without the infamous rumored Cael quote about Brooks Black: he "has no shot." Truer and more literal words never spoken.

Reactions: diggerpup
I would be very concerned that Poulin will not be big enough for college 125. Only 113 as a Junior, and to my eye not a very big 113. I love his wrestling style, but there are some big dudes at 125 in college. His parents big?

I should've mentioned: for the most part, those are just names -- we have limited info as to who the coaches are pursuing and who is genuinely interested in PSU.

(Of course we think everyone is or should be!)

And we know from experience that Cael will find guys that we didn't know about, and they could be from just about anywhere. And the guys we think should have some tie to PSU, will go elsewhere.

There were a few names I didn't list for obvious reasons -- while they may be uncommitted, most everyone can figure out where Anthony Ferrari, Cael Valencia, and Luka Wick are headed. Etc.

So think of it as supplemental to Dice's spreadsheet.
I really enjoyed seeing Cael Valencia decked out in OSU gear last weekend in Tulsa. Hope the interest continues.

Reactions: Cenosillicaphobia

1). Gable
2). Kirk
3). AJ Ferrari
4). Mason Parris
6). Cassioppi
Ferrari has said he plans to be at 197.

Reactions: STAND with PRIDE
Actually he said he plans to be a heavyweight, that is up and until he committed to OSU which might mean he will have to go 184. I am sure he is now a 197 but then again 4 years is a long time not to enjoy a slice of pizza now and then. BTW have you seen his dad? The kid comes from large stock.

For context: Sammie Henson's son. Attended Waynesburg Central while dad was West Virginia coach. Moved to Missouri when dad got fired. Transferred back to Waynesburg this year and ...

panairo lost in the surge finals.

I’m not El Jefe, but I’d hope for names like VanNess, Victor Voinovich, Paniro Johnson, the Herrera kid. Also perhaps an Avery Bassett would fill that need in years to come. Crookham would be the 2022 Gem

Joey Cruz will be a career 125lb'r and I'd say he has an extremely high ceiling. Put him at 125, Howard 133, Bartlett 141

Reactions: CSauertiegPSU
Actually he said he plans to be a heavyweight, that is up and until he committed to OSU which might mean he will have to go 184. I am sure he is now a 197 but then again 4 years is a long time not to enjoy a slice of pizza now and then. BTW have you seen his dad? The kid comes from large stock.

He said he was going 97 kgs at the Open. He's going to get bigger under the Cowboy Bulk Job.

For context: Sammie Henson's son. Attended Waynesburg Central while dad was West Virginia coach. Moved to Missouri when dad got fired. Transferred back to Waynesburg this year and ...

I think this is a bit misleading. By rule you are automatically ineligible for postseason now if you transfer from sophomore year on. You need to appeal this to participate by proving a specific circumstance (job transfer, financial hardship, etc.)

Burden is on the transfer"ee" to prove circumstance.

This rule was adopted in August of 2018, so this is the first year of practice.

No more "transfer with athletic intent."
Just automatic now. You roll the dice with appeals if you transfer after SO year starts with your postseason.

You are also free to transfer after your FR with no penalty. P

Yes, and the District did not find a hardship so now it’s up to the PIAA.

Just got off the phone with Ames2St, he says the 2023, 4, 5 National championship team will be

125. Figueroa
133. Howard
141. Bartlett
149. Van Ness
157. Facundo
165. Lee
174. Starocci
184. Brooks
197. Beard
Hwt. Kirkvliet

Just got off the phone with Ames2St, he says the 2023, 4, 5 National championship team will be

125. Figueroa
133. Howard
141. Bartlett
149. Van Ness
157. Facundo
165. Lee
174. Starocci
184. Brooks
197. Beard
Hwt. Kirkvliet

Would be very happy with that line up! That's a powerhouse.

What year did Verk miss the post season due to a move?

I think this is a bit misleading. By rule you are automatically ineligible for postseason now if you transfer from sophomore year on. You need to appeal this to participate by proving a specific circumstance (job transfer, financial hardship, etc.)

Burden is on the transfer"ee" to prove circumstance.

This rule was adopted in August of 2018, so this is the first year of practice.

No more "transfer with athletic intent."
Just automatic now. You roll the dice with appeals if you transfer after SO year starts with your postseason.

You are also free to transfer after your FR with no penalty. P

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT