ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting

WEAREPSU_LI

Gold Member
Feb 15, 2019
So, since the wrestlers on the 2021 Big Board are getting plucked up right and left, who do you think we get first and when does it happen?

Dice's spreadsheet is very helpful, but we don't know if we're really looking at anyone outside of Facundo, who has visited a football game and our match against Navy. I know Poulin said we won't hear for a while about his choice, so do we not hear for a while? Also, I would loveto get Van Ness, but our lightweight room is getting crowded and he is a Rutgers legacy.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: danoftw
Kaminski visited too.

Figueroa reopened his recruiting and IIRC PSU is one of the contenders.

After that ... gotta think we're looking 149/157 in the 2021-2022 classes. We're crowded at 165+, and crowded at 125-141 (esp. if Figs or Poulin come). Some room in between.

I thought the Figs stuff was nonsense? I could have sworn I saw him tweeting or something with ASU stuff on. Regardless, if it is open, that would be huge. He's the real deal.

Kaminski is interesting, I don't know much about him.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Reactions: diggerpup
Figs was on campus at ASU when Echemendia visited. I've seen nothing about him reaffirming ASU commitment or canceling other visits.

Kaminski is Seminary's 220. Cadet Greco medalist. Likely HWT prospect. Very agile.

Reactions: rmg78
Poulin attends the high school a few miles down the road from me. No inside info, but Popolizio has a lot of connections and history in the area. So, without info to the contrary I would tend to default to NC State for Poulin.

Any information if there is any mutual interest between Van Ness and PS?

Poulin attends the high school a few miles down the road from me. No inside info, but Popolizio has a lot of connections and history in the area. So, without info to the contrary I would tend to default to NC State for Poulin.
Maybe ... would he be willing to sit 1-2 yrs behind Camacho?

Feed us insiders!!!!!! We’re dying here!

giphy.gif

After some investigation following the Bucknuts post - I too though the Richie Figs stuff was total BS. He has had numerous sightings at ASU and his recent social media postings indicate his plans have not changed.

EJ

Where does "Figueroa reopened his recruiting and IIRC PSU is one of the contenders." come from? I find no reliable references to PSU and Figs anywhere at any time.

He is such a stud I keep grasping at straws but I don't believe it is real and think this one is a 0%'er.

Yeah, I doubt the Fig stuff is real.

Also, where has Ames2State been? I need scoops.

Need an El Jefe dominate the world weight class look

who are the big needs for 149/157

I’m not El Jefe, but I’d hope for names like VanNess, Victor Voinovich, Paniro Johnson, the Herrera kid. Also perhaps an Avery Bassett would fill that need in years to come. Crookham would be the 2022 Gem

Reactions: danoftw
Regarding Figueroa: I've seen his revised interest list as ASU, Ohio State, PSU, Michigan.

World Domination Plan = hire Cael.

Regarding 149/157: here are the better prospects:
2021: Van Ness, Mastro (OKST), Herrera, Voinovich, Manville, Travis (OKST), Henson (Iowa)

Voinovich has listed OKST, tOSU, Cornell.

2022: Crookham, Bouzakis, Mendez, Henson

There are more ranked guys in each class; those appear to be the better ones today. (Plus usual caveat about growth spurts.)

I suspect we'll get 1-2 guys not including Manville.

Last edited:
Can't seem to get the picture posted but Figueroa posted on twitter that he took his first official visit on 10-20-19 to Michigan.

Last edited:
BTW, in the least shocking development ever, yesterday Stalledwell's brother Kyle Haas committed to the Pokes.

Now we get to see who gets to eat vs. who has to cut, between Haas and Ferrari.

Last edited:
Back to the topic at hand -- warning, extra long post:

Pinfall Recruiting (LINK) has an excellent database of commits.

2020 is mostly picked clean. Only 2 top 50-ish guys remain, and seriously doubt either comes to PSU. Jesse Vazquez (CA 149) and Kysen Terukina (HI 125). Vazquez previously listed his finalists and we aren't among them. I think we're done, except for depth guys.

2021 is filling out some. Below are some of the better commits (not intended to be a complete list):
- Cornell: Vince Cornella (CO 125), Ryan Sokol (MN 141)
- Iowa: Wyatt Henson (MO 149), Caleb Rathjen (IA 149). Note, Henson is reportedly moving back to PA this year. Sammy's son, attended Waynesburg when dad was WVU coach.
- Nebraska: Jagger Condomitti (Northampton 149), Lenny Pinto (Stroudsburg 174)
- Oklahoma: Tate Picklo (OK 174)
- OKST: Travis Mastro (NJ 149), Teague Travis (MO 149), Kyle Haas (KS 285)
- Pitt: Brock McMillen (Glendale 141)
- Princeton: Peyton Craft (NJ 197), Dean Peterson (NJ 133)
- Wisconsin: Hayden Copass (IL 285)

PSU has no 2021 commits. The most obvious candidates:
- Alex Facundo (#1 overall, MI 174) - has visited
- Jake Kaminski (IL 197/285 via Blair Seminary) - has visited
- Carson Manville (VA 157 via MN)

The top middleweight prospects: Shayne Van Ness (NJ); Alejandro Herrera (Seneca Valley), Victor Voinovich (OH), Ryan Franco (CA), Maximo Renteria (CA).

If Cael goes after a 125, the most obvious candidates are Figueroa and Poulin. Maybe Dylan Chappell (Seneca Valley), though he's not on their level. LemonPie mentioned Jordan Titus (NY), and I'll trust his judgment there, but have seen Titus projected at 133.

PA-wise, PA Power Wrestling ranks the top 5 in 2021 as Herrera, Trey Kibe (Mifflin County 165), McMillen, Pinto, and Nate Schon (Selinsgrove 285). I've heard PSU is interested in Kibe, and IMO he's a very good prospect, but no idea where he'd fit in the lineup.

Someone above mentioned Paniro Johnson (Erie Prep 149) -- PA Power ranks him 11th in 2021.

2022 has 1 committed wrestler: OH 197 Seth Shumate to Tan Tom.

The best middleweight prospects: Ryan Crookham (NDGP), Nic Bouzakis (FL via Seminary), Jesse Mendez (IN), Caleb Henson (GA), Anthony Ferrari (TX, likely OKST). Willie is very high on Mendez.

If we don't get Kerk or Kaminski, Cael might take a shot at Kolby Franklin (DuBois, now at Seminary).

If we're still in the market for a 125, the best appear to be: Nicolar Rivera (WI), Daniel Cardenas (CO), Jordan Williams (OK), Nick Fea (Seminary). Brady Hankin (CO) is behind them but has expressed an interest in PSU.

Other familiar names:
- Levi Haines (Biglerville 133, M2 trainee)
- Joey Cruz (CA 133)
- Dayton Pitzer (Mt Pleasant 197)
- Bennett Berge (MN 184)
- Gavin Garcia (Southern Columbia 184)
- Erik Gibson (Forest Hills 165)
- Nick Feldman (Malvern Prep 184/197)

Last edited:
I'm hearing positive things about Kerkvliet, but there is no real evidence behind it. Still, friends in the TC area are rumbling that they assume he's heading east to Happy Valley.

So much makes sense about it but how much money do we have at this point? (Slush Fund and 3 Inch Binder jokes aside)

2020 is mostly picked clean. Only 2 top 50-ish guys remain, and seriously doubt either comes to PSU. Jesse Vazquez (CA 149) and Kysen Terukina (HI 125). Vazquez previously listed his finalists and we aren't among them. I think we're done, except for depth guys.

2021 is filling out some. Below are some of the better commits (not intended to be a complete list):
- Iowa: Wyatt Henson (MO 149), Caleb Rathjen (IA 149). Note, Henson is reportedly moving back to PA this year. Sammy's son, attended Waynesburg when dad was WVU coach.

- Jake Kaminski (IL 197/285 via Blair) - has visited

The top middleweight prospects: Shayne Van Ness (NJ); Alejandro Herrera (Seneca Valley), Victor Voinovich (OH), Ryan Franco (CA), Maximo Renteria (CA).

If Cael goes after a 125, the most obvious candidates are Figueroa and Poulin. Maybe Dylan Chappell (Seneca Valley), though he's not on their level. LemonPie mentioned Jordan Titus (NY), and I'll trust his judgment there, but have seen Titus projected at 133.

PA-wise, PA Power Wrestling ranks the top 5 in 2021 as Herrera, Trey Kibe (Mifflin County 165), McMillen, Pinto, and Nate Schon (Selinsgrove 285). I've heard PSU is interested in Kibe, and IMO he's a very good prospect, but no idea where he'd fit in the lineup.

Someone above mentioned Paniro Johnson (Erie Prep 149) -- PA Power ranks him 11th in 2021.

The best middleweight prospects: Ryan Crookham (NDGP), Nic Bouzakis (FL via Seminary), Jesse Mendez (IN), Caleb Henson (GA), Anthony Ferrari (TX, likely OKST). Willie is very high on Mendez.

If we don't get Kerk or Kaminski, Cael might take a shot at Kolby Franklin (DuBois, now at Seminary).

If we're still in the market for a 125, the best appear to be: Nicolar Rivera (WI), Daniel Cardenas (CO), Jordan Williams (OK), Nick Fea (Seminary). Brady Hankin (CO) is behind them but has expressed an interest in PSU.

Other familiar names:
- Joey Cruz (CA 133)
- Bennett Berge (MN 184)
That's why you're the Jefe! Many thanks.

So much makes sense about it but how much money do we have at this point? (Slush Fund and 3 Inch Binder jokes aside)
Kerk is likely not getting more than book money for spring semester no matter where he goes. It's not like any school has a half ride laying around unused. This year will be about grants and loans. His aid package will be about next year and beyond, and will be part of that school's overall strategy.

- Jake Kaminski (IL 197/285 via Blair) - has visited

Other familiar names:
- Joey Cruz (CA 133)
- Bennett Berge (MN 184)

I wanted to second Nerf's sentiment. Thank you be very much for sharing. This is great stuff El Jefe.

Reactions: jtothemfp
I should've mentioned: for the most part, those are just names -- we have limited info as to who the coaches are pursuing and who is genuinely interested in PSU.

(Of course we think everyone is or should be!)

And we know from experience that Cael will find guys that we didn't know about, and they could be from just about anywhere. And the guys we think should have some tie to PSU, will go elsewhere.

There were a few names I didn't list for obvious reasons -- while they may be uncommitted, most everyone can figure out where Anthony Ferrari, Cael Valencia, and Luka Wick are headed. Etc.

So think of it as supplemental to Dice's spreadsheet.

I'm hearing positive things about Kerkvliet, but there is no real evidence behind it. Still, friends in the TC area are rumbling that they assume he's heading east to Happy Valley.
Where does Seth nevils go if kerkvliet comes aboard? Don't think they can have both , Seth is a big ticket scolly guy and kerkvliet is not coming here on the cheap

Not my point, if he can't beat Seth than why spend the money. Also Seth was a 12 pfp and kerk was #1 In 2019.

ADVERTISEMENT