ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting Class Thread

Losing Henderson to OSU is depressing. That kid is an absolute ankle breaker. I thought we had a real chance with him a while ago.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Take a look at our RB depth chart and then look at theirs. We can’t talk about how many great RBs we have and then be surprised when 5 stars don’t sign up every year

Ordinarily, stud recruits aren't afraid of other studs on the roster at their position.

But our RB depth at the moment is ridiculous, and even if it had no impact on somebody like Henderson, it probably impacts the degree to which the coaching staff invests time and effort into a given recruit. I imagine OSU went all-in on Henderson given their RB needs.

I assumed several months ago that we probably wouldn't land an elite RB this cycle just because of how loaded we already are. I'd assume that we'll be back shopping for an elite back in the 2022 class.

Forget about a particular running back...... and at the risk of inciting a "that's what we are up against" :) ....... OSU has just been recruiting at another level AFTER losing Meyer (which is really kinda' crazy).
Add in their serendipitous assistance from the Transfer Portal, and its really been nuts.

Everyone can have an opinion on how PSU is recruiting (and I think most reasonable folks would say they have been recruiting quite well), but if OSU continues to recruit the way they have since Urby left, they are going to have a HUGE raw talent advantage over ANYONE else in the B10, PSU included.

It certainly seems that way with this 2021 class in particular.

But aside from Meyer's last class (which was #14 nationally), his 3 classes before that at Ohio State were #2, #2, and #4 in America. And the three classes before that -- #7, #3, #2.

The raw talent advantage for Ohio State over Penn State was extreme from about 2014 to 2017. Our 2018 and 2019 classes have narrowed the gap a bit, but even then, the gap is sizeable. It's definitely a credit to this staff that all but one of our matchups with Ohio State since 2014 have gone down to the 4th quarter (if not the final 2 minutes). But, I'd feel a lot better if we can put together another top-5 type of class to keep pace. Let's hope the 2018-2019 classes more closely reflect our recruiting going forward than the 2020 class (which wasn't bad by any means......but certainly not "elite").

Ordinarily, stud recruits aren't afraid of other studs on the roster at their position.

But our RB depth at the moment is ridiculous, and even if it had no impact on somebody like Henderson, it probably impacts the degree to which the coaching staff invests time and effort into a given recruit. I imagine OSU went all-in on Henderson given their RB needs.

I assumed several months ago that we probably wouldn't land an elite RB this cycle just because of how loaded we already are. I'd assume that we'll be back shopping for an elite back in the 2022 class.

I actually disagree with your last paragraph. I think we will still get an elite RB in this class. Someone like Cory Kiner or Amari Daniels. It will be very similar to this last class when we missed with Tyree and Lloyd and ended up two backs who might be better in Lee and Holmes, but who aren’t the can’t miss type 5 star kid. I would be surprised if during Seider’s tenure on staff we do not land an elite RB every year.

PSU has enough talent at WR Dotson,Geroge, Dunmore, Lambert, Washington, Dottin etc to compete and beat OSU- just need to finish games in the fourth quarter.

An interesting offer -- an OT from San Diego, CA, who verballed to Oregon in January

I wouldn't make that big a deal about "the university Penn State." He seems to use that boilerplate on his tweets about other offers, several which also should have been "the XYZ university."

can you elaborate on this?

other than Brandon Campbell from Texas, Im not sure which highly rated RBs we are in good shape to land. thanks in advance!!

WE aren't in any shape with him. He committed to USC over the weekend. Who else we might be in god shape with is a mystery to me.

An interesting offer -- an OT from San Diego, CA, who verballed to Oregon in January

I wouldn't make that big a deal about "the university Penn State." He seems to use that boilerplate on his tweets about other offers, several which also should have been "the XYZ university."

Interesting, my brother lives in La Mesa. My nephew goes to Grossmont. Helix is their arch-rival and kicks their butts. Public vs private.

VIP is open for 24 hours over on TOS. I recommend if you don't have premium, you can get all caught up on recruiting.

OL prospects love Traut
PSU surging for 4* OG Rocco Spindler
5* OT Rucci will go to PSU or Clemson
Top RB targets right now: 4* Donovan Edwards, 4* Corey Kiner
Tengwall pushing for Dont'e Thornton and Rucci among others
We lead for JUCO CB Warren
QB most likely: Veilleux
We lead for 5* Tony Grimes' dad, probably not Tony himself
OSU might run out of room for 4* S Derrick Davis, good for us
Staff not overly excited with regional DE, Armitage/Jeudy most likely
Will take 1 DT, Gilliam most likely followed by Ford
OLB Buddin committing soon, have a chance but behind Mich

VIP is open for 24 hours over on TOS. I recommend if you don't have premium, you can get all caught up on recruiting.

OL prospects love Traut
Can you provide the link for TOS sir?

Thanks!

OL prospects love Traut

Thanks for the run down.

Spindler, a Michigan kid with a Pitt father, surging for Penn State.......would be great, if true, but not getting hopes up on that one.

And no crystal balls for Spindler to PSU, so far.

Ranking the Contenders: Four-star OL Tristan Leigh
2. PENN STATE
Penn State has hosted Leigh more than any other school. Leigh built a good relationship with the coaching staff but the change from Matt Limegrover to Phil Trautwein has proven to be a bit of a speed bump.

Leigh and Trautwein are building a relationship but it’s still fairlynew. Expect James Franklin and his staff to work hard to get Leigh back on campus as soon as the recruiting dead period is over.

https://n.rivals.com/news/ranking-the-contenders-four-star-ol-tristan-leigh

Reactions: NedFromYork

OL prospects love Traut
I took the plunge today at that discount. My contributions to this board will obviously change. Some points I'll add from today since it is open.
Wiltfong alluded to it but this OL class could be SPECIAL.
Funny how some dads see it differently. Hated Davis Srs comments. Most likely the guy Dohn was talking about on the pod last week.
Jeudy's comments about the south were not good for us. I think that one will play out though.
Gilliam is probably better in the long run, but hate letting Malone go elsewhere.
Schiano has Rutgers moving. They might get 7 of the top 10 out of Jersey. In play already for the top '22 NJ guys, but unlikely to land them.
Williams comments in SI were plain awful. Recruiting for OU already, but I get the feeling he is a flavor of the week type of kid and that is why dad is taking an active role in trying to transfer proof his recruitment. Dohn kind of alluded to that without saying it.
Reed coming to PSU and Michigan is open for business. If UM loses more than 3 including a loss to OSU it might be curtains on this regime.
Seems like this will be a smaller class (22?).

Been a long time since I've done this, but why not...
My Crystal Ball Is In:
5* OT Rucci, 4* S Reed, 4* WR Prather, 4* S Wheatley, 3* CB Warren

Very Good Chance:
5* OT Leigh, 4* WR Thornton, 4* DL Gilliam, 4* WR Brown, 4* QB Veilleux

In The Battle:
5* CB Grimes, 5* S Davis Jr., 4* CB Johnson, 4* OG Spindler, 4* DE Jeudy, 4* WR Farooq, 4* DE Armitage, 4* DE Harris, 4* OG Burton, 4* CB King, 4* LB Buddin, 4* DT Williams, 4* ATH Brown, 4* RB Daniels, 4* TE Pugh, 4* LB Alleyne, 4* DE Bennett, 3* DT Ford, 3* LB King, 3* CB Cheek 3* ATH Davis Jr., 3* CB Oladokun, 3* S McMillon

Work Left To Do:
5* QB Williams, 4* RB Edwards, 4* DT Malone, 4* DE Langston, 4* TE Bowers, 4* DE Donald, 4* OT Benny, 4* TE Fidone, 4* RB Kiner, 4* DE Goodwine, 4* DE Brown, 4* TE Matavo, 4* LB Colson, 4* LB Karlaftis, 4* LB Penn III, 4* DT Evans, 4* DT Rooks, 4* CB Ortiz, 4* TE Hansen, 4* RB Estime, 4* S Johnson, 3* DT Gillespie, 3* DE Mobley, 3* DE Oyne, 3* RB Newton, 3*ATH Mines, 3* OC Estes, 3* CB Barnes, 3* CB Smith

Have To Get Really Lucky:
5* LB Lewis, 4* QB Nussmeier, 4* DE Story, 4* DT Bradley

Last edited:
I took the plunge today at that discount. My contributions to this board will obviously change. Some points I'll add from today since it is open.
Wiltfong alluded to it but this OL class could be SPECIAL.
Funny how some dads see it differently. Hated Davis Srs comments. Most likely the guy Dohn was talking about on the pod last week.
Jeudy's comments about the south were not good for us. I think that one will play out though.
Gilliam is probably better in the long run, but hate letting Malone go elsewhere.
Schiano has Rutgers moving. The might get 7 of the top 10 out of Jersey. In play already for the top '22 NJ guys, but unlikely to land them.
Williams comments in SI were plain awful. Recruiting for OU already, but I get the feeling he is a flavor of the week type of kid and that is why dad is taking an active role in trying to transfer proof his recruitment. Dohn kind of alluded to that without saying it.
Reed coming to PSU and Michigan is open for business. If UM loses more than 3 including a loss to OSU it might be curtains on this regime.
Seems like this will be a smaller class (22?).

Been a long time since I've done this, but why not...
My Crystal Ball Is In:
5* OT Rucci, 4* S Reed, 4* WR Prather, 4* S Wheatley, 3* CB Warren

Very Good Chance:
5* OT Leigh, 4* WR Thornton, 4* DL Gilliam, 4* WR Brown, 4* QB Veilleux

In The Battle:
5* CB Grimes, 5* S Davis Jr., 4* CB Johnson, 4* OG Spindler, 4* DE Jeudy, 4* WR Farooq, 4* DE Armitage, 4* DE Harris, 4* OG Burton, 4* CB King, 4* LB Buddin, 4* DT Williams, 4* ATH Brown, 4* RB Daniels, 4* TE Pugh, 4* LB Alleyne, 4* DE Bennett, 3* DT Ford, 3* LB King, 3* CB Cheek 3* ATH Davis Jr., 3* CB Oladokun, 3* S McMillon

Work Left To Do:
5* QB Williams, 4* RB Edwards, 4* DT Malone, 4* DE Langston, 4* TE Bowers, 4* DE Donald, 4* OT Benny, 4* TE Fidone, 4* RB Kiner, 4* DE Goodwine, 4* DE Brown, 4* TE Matavo, 4* LB Colson, 4* LB Karlaftis, 4* LB Penn III, 4* DT Evans, 4* DT Rooks, 4* CB Ortiz, 4* TE Hansen, 4* RB Estime, 4* S Johnson, 3* DT Gillespie, 3* DE Mobley, 3* DE Oyne, 3* RB Newton, 3*ATH Mines, 3* OC Estes, 3* CB Barnes, 3* CB Smith

Have To Get Really Lucky:
5* LB Lewis, 4* QB Nussmeier, 4* DE Story, 4* DT Bradley
Great stuff. Thanks

what did Davis dad say?

Great stuff. Thanks

what did Davis dad say?
Positive stuff about OSU Day and the staff. That it was close to family in OH and PA. Positive stuff on Dabo and their staff. Positive stuff on Smart and UGA. Then mentioned PSU and said, "we've been there so often, we know what the ride is like."

That doesn't sound like an endorsement. Luckily Davis might have missed his spot in OSU's class. I'd rather just beat them out for him.

Positive stuff about OSU Day and the staff. That it was close to family in OH and PA. Positive stuff on Dabo and their staff. Positive stuff on Smart and UGA. Then mentioned PSU and said, "we've been there so often, we know what the ride is like."

That doesn't sound like an endorsement. Luckily Davis might have missed his spot in OSU's class. I'd rather just beat them out for him.

Great content, thanks for pulling together the list.

As far as Davis is concerned, I wouldn't put too much stock into what his dad said. They've visited HV something like a dozen times since Davis was in the 8th grade, and they consider Terry Smith to be family. They're definitely enamored with the OSU secondary to the NFL pipeline, but they were recently put off by Day's suggestion that Davis would play OLB in Columbus.

One major thing going for PSU in both Reed/Davis' recruitment is the appeal of playing time. After this season, there's going to be opportunity for immediate playing time at safety. A Reed/Davis pull at safety would be outstanding.

Also can't forget about S Donovan McMillon from Peters Township outside of PGH. Kid is blowing up right now with recent offers from PSU, Mich, ND, OK, etc. He's 6'2 180lbs and more of the Marcus Allen mold.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT