ADVERTISEMENT

2021 PSU WSOC Thread (delayed 2020 season)

HT 0-0, PSU is a bit sloppy, lucky not down 1 goal. Need a better second half.

Did someone piss off ParkAvenue, he/she deleted all the posts?

PSU 1 - 0 Vandy

Rachel Wasserman to Kristin Schnurr, beautiful GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

PSU 2 - 0 Vandy

Eva Alonso, first GOALLLLLLL for the freshman!! Beautiful header

Final 2-0, FSU next

Last edited:
HT 0-0, PSU is a bit sloppy, lucky not down 1 goal. Need a better second half.

Did someone piss off ParkAvenue, he/she deleted all the posts?

PSU 1 - 0 Vandy

Rachel Wasserman to Kristin Schnurr, beautiful GOALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

PSU 2 - 0 Vandy

Eva Alonso, first GOALLLLLLL for the freshman!! Beautiful header

Final 2-0, FSU next

Was this on TV?

Possible replay time and channel??

I have watched several of the soccer teams play during the NCAA Women's Soccer Division I tournament. And what jumps out at me is how out of whack with reality United Soccer Coaches rankings, and the NCAA seedings are.

First, regarding Florida State being ranked at #1. They played a fall schedule. And their #1 ranking is based on the fact that they went 11-0-0 last fall. First, Malia Berkely who started all 11 of those games, is now playing professional soccer in France. Berkely was a RS Junior and had she chosen to use the extra year of eligibility, she would have had two more years left with the Seminoles. But, she decided to turn pro. IMHO opinion that is a game changer, much like Stanford losing Catarina Macario before this season began.

Below are my rankings for the remaining teams in the Sweet 16 (3rd. round). Note: This is how the teams are playing NOW, the players they have on roster NOW and who's hot and who's not. My ranking for Penn State is if they have a healthy Payton Linnehan available for the Florida St. game and beyond. Also, my rankings of the remaining teams includes things such as home turf advantage and a strong emphasis for "what have you done for me lately?"

1. Penn State
  2. TCU
  3. North Carolina
  4. Florida State
  5. Virginia
  6. UCLA
  7. Arkansas
  8. Santa Clara
  9. Clemson
  10. Oklahoma St.
  11. Georgetown
  12. Texas A&M
  13. Duke
  14. Rice
  15. Washington
  16. Mississippi
Here is the schedule for the third round. All times ET.

Further musings: Again, PSU has to have a healthy Payton Linnehan in order to keep winning. And Abello also.
If Linnehan can't play on Wednesday then the Florida St. game could be a loss. Besides being the fastest player on Penn State's team, Linnehan has supreme soccer skills, and is literally all over the field. She hustles 100% of the time, and plays defense as well as offense. Linnehan would get my vote for team MVP and without her the team would be greatly diminished. Think she has a sprained knee...but that is enough to cause a player to miss some playing time. Hopefully Andra can work her trainer magic.....

Other musings: Duke wsoc is overrated virtually every year...much like Notre Dame is most years in college football.

The current Florida State team is not as good as they were in the fall and not as good as the 2018 title team.

Mississippi is leading a charmed soccer life: They tied Bowling Green 0-0 and won on penalty kicks. And then in the 2nd. round they tied Southern Cal 2-2 and won AGAIN on PK's

I'd rate several of the 3rd. round games as dead even or pick-em kind of games:

• Mississippi vs. Duke - Even
  • Santa Clara vs. Arkansas - Even
  • Oklahoma St. vs. Texas A&M - Even
Most of the games are tight. Only TCU and maybe Virginia might get multiple goal wins. The other games should be one goal games or PK wins.

The most dangerous teams right now: Penn State, Virginia, Oklahoma St. and Santa Clara. Yes, don't sleep on the Broncos. Lots of 4 star & 3 star California girls on Santa Clara's team.

Last, IF Penn State can get past Florida State, then their quarterfinal game against the Ole Miss-Duke winner would be easier than the Florida St. game and easier than the war WSOC had with Vanderbilt. So, a win over Florida State and the squad most likely would reach the College Cup round.

Keep an eye on the Starting XI tweet by @PennStateWSOC about the time the game starts. If Linnehan's name is there it means she is reasonably close to 100%. I'm not saying the group can't beat the Seminoles without her; but a win would become much harder and much more in doubt.

Why did you take down your pictures and bio's of the future NCA soccer ladies sir?

Of the recent prospects you mentioned/posted about, I've seen Lisa McIntyre and Olivia Marrone play. Both of them are on the smaller side for defenders, but both do a nice job.

I saw PDA teams on Saturday and on Sunday, and Marrone plays for PDA Blue. Their U-17 team is off-the-charts good. They won the ECNL National title last fall. They are one of the strongest youth female teams (not including any of the national teams) that I've seen -- certainly top 10, probably top 5. Most of their starters have the talent to play D1.

The only negative, so to speak, with Marrone, or any other PDA players and PSU, is that Mike O'Neill, the head coach of Rutgers women's team, is also the Director of Coaching for PDA. I didn't notice if he was on the sidelines on Saturday with the U-17 team (or any of the other PDA teams), but he was definitely on the sidelines for their Sunday matches. He obviously takes the PDA role seriously, as Rutgers played in the NCAAs on Thursday (and lost on PKs to Clemson), and he was on the sidelines on Sunday, at away matches for PDA, and actively coaching the players.

Reactions: kevin310
I'm pretty sure that Frankie Tagliaferri played for PDA. I know it has been hard prying some of the top talent in New Jersey in general away from there, usually Rutgers gets the top players. Incoming freshman Sofia Mancino is from New Jersey, but played for Match Fit not PDA. I had heard that coach O'Neill was involved with PDA but didn't know he was that closely involved...would explain why it is so hard getting some of those kids to come to Penn State, even though Penn State is clearly the better soccer program.

Tagliaferri played for PDA. Devon Olive also played for PDA (though she also played for FC Fury). And Olive lived in NYC, not in New Jersey.

Match Fit and PDA compete for some of the same players, and are big rivals. They're the top two programs, at least at the ECNL level, in NJ.

Reactions: hlstone and TheGLOV
time-travel.jpg

CoolBean you don't need me to know the future, you need a time machine for that OR make the acquaintance of a time traveler. I know a time traveler that I could introduce you to, but I should warn you that he's not human.
ecb6ce0aff8794e9b03215d6d92f31ac.gif

My prediction for the big NCAA WSOC 3rd. round matchup between Penn State vs. Florida State:

Penn State 2 Florida State 1

Reasons for my prediction (in no particular order):
  • Penn State dismantled Alabama St., while Florida St. struggled to beat a similar level opponent in Milwaukee. They won 3-0, but their last 2 goals came late in the game.
  • Penn State has played 15 games this spring season, while Florida St. has played 1.
  • Malia Berkely who started in all of Florida St.'s 11 wins last fall, has left the team having earned both her Bachelor's & Masters Degree (She was a RS Junior, so a Senior academically)and is now playing professional soccer in France. She was obviously one of their star players and one of the top defenders in the country and so the Seminoles best lock-down defender.
  • The game is at a neutral site. The last time the teams met in November of 2018, the game was at Seminole Stadium in front of thousands of Florida State fans. There will be precious few fans at this game...which I think benefits Penn State in this one.
  • The Seminoles start a 5'-7 true freshman at goal. She is good but so was Vanderbilt's 5'-11 true freshman goalkeeper who got the starting nod over senior goalkeeper turned college football kicker Sarah Fuller.
There are two things that could swing the game over to where Florida State would win. The health status of right winger Payton LInnehan.

I believe she got injured in the last few seconds of the Alabama State game. Linnehan was in the 18 yard box to the left of the goal area and was making a move on the lone defender in front of her when she took a vicious hit and crumpled to the ground. She got up slowly and walked very gingerly for a few steps and then seemed to be able to walk it off.

After re-watching the Vanderbilt game, I noticed her play more closely and I could tell she was not 100%. It became more noticeable in the 2nd. half to where she finally had to come out of the game with about 31 minutes to play in the match. If LInnehan can't play I see the game being virtually dead even. If she plays but only at 80-90% then the game would be in doubt also. Speed is such a big factor to her game and hard to be fast with a knee injury.

The other major thing that could affect the outcome is the weather. Weather can have an equalizing affect on sporting events. Yes, it's the same for both teams and that is exactly my point, extreme weather, be it excessive heat or rain showers have the effect of evening up or equalizing two teams that otherwise might have a wide separation in their skill level. The weather prediction for Cary, NC for this Wednesday afternoon is: A high temperature of 85°F, with thunderstorms & a 40% chance of rain. The heat index will be hovering around 90°F.

Hydration breaks aside, there will have to be a lot of subs used by both teams. Coach Dambach has used 18 players in many games, but normally you would not play 18 players against an opponent the caliber of Florida St. You saw the difference from the Alabama St. game to the Vanderbilt game. I believe coach used 6 freshmen against Alabama St., but think only 3 against Vanderbilt. This is the NCAA tournament against the #1 rated team in the country with a TON riding on the outcome of this game. It can be risky playing rookies in such a scenario. But the high temperature might force the hand of both coaches.

Just like in Las Vegas when a star player is injured and can't play so they often will take the game 'off the board'...meaning they will not takes bets on that game. Same here, my 2-1 prediction for a PSU win is based on a healthy Linnehan playing. If she doesn't play it's a whole 'nother ball game. Her absence would impact not only WSOC's offense but their defense as well. I'm very confident in a PSU win if she plays at or near 100%, but I am not confident in a PSU win if she doesn't play. They could win without her but it is unlikely. Basically the team is already playing with Kerry Abello at not 100%, playing with two subs starting due to Kate Wiesner and Caitlyn Haislip both being out with injuries.

Don't be surprised if two players currently starting, don't start during the fall season. IF Kate Wiesner is healthy this fall she will take back her starting left full back position and Mieke Schiemann should start from game one. Schiemann, the German girl from Berlin has played professional soccer for the Turbine Potsdam team and should take over a starting position. Last, look for a few current roster players to enter the transfer portal sometime after this season has ended and before the fall training starts in August. One in particular has been visibly absent during the tournament and she is not injured that I am aware of. If no one transfers out, then coach would have a 30 player roster.....and that is problematic for several reasons.

4 - 3 PSU

Reminder...drumroll here...After 15 months, the NCAA dead period on recruiting officially comes to an end at midnight of May 31st. NEVER MIND THAT PEOPLE OF ALL AGES HAVE BEEN ENGAGING IN CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF ALL KINDS WITH OTHER PEOPLE FOR ALL OF THOSE PAST 15 MONTHS...:rolleyes: But hey, knowing that Mark Emmert and his gang are in control of things, makes me...makes me...makes me...hold on I have to go throw up!

Reactions: TheGLOV
rain-boyd-2.jpg

Rain Boyd - 5'-4" D Class of 2024 FC Delco (ECNL) Perkiomen Valley H.S., Schwenksville, PA
3stars.png
A player worth watching.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGLOV
PSU 1 - 0 FSU Frankie Tagliaferri. Beautiful goal, defender fell down trying to defend the ball!
PSU 1 - 1 FSU. PSU needs to be better, the ball is on PSU side for most of the half.
HT. PSU needs to be much better in the 2nd half, FSU played in front of PSU goal for most of the 1st, out shot PSU 18-2 LOL
PSU 1 - 2 FSU Corner 9-0 FSU, Shot 26-2 FSU. Should have been 4-1 FSU
PSU 1 - 3 FSU Penalty kick.....game is over, the ball is on PSU side the whole game

I don't care what @ParkAvenueSoccer said, but PSU is NOT in the same league with FSU.

If somehow PSU win this game, LOL I don't know what to say, like watching Portland thorns playing PSU

Last edited:
It's 1-1 with 30 minutes left. Florida State is very much in control of the ball. Our girls look tired or slow or both.

.Linnehan did not start, played some in the first half...clearly did not have her speed. Guessing she was at around 80%. Haven't seen her in the second half. Difference the game. If Linnehan had been 100% WSOC could have won.

Linnehan finally in with 23' to go.

HIghly questionable call gives Florida St. a 3-1 lead. Not sure how you can make that call.....

.Linnehan did not start, played some in the first half...clearly did not have her speed. Guessing she was at around 80%. Haven't seen her in the second half. Difference the game. If Linnehan had been 100% WSOC could have won.

Watching the game, I am not sure Linnehan starting would have made a difference. Complete domination by FSU and it is not even close. PSU should be down 5-1, not 3-1.

Pele Mia Hamm may not even win this game if she with PSU, LOL

That lost to IOWA is magnified, instead of a seed and may have avoided FSU, PSU is done after this game.
Where in heck FSU got all these players?

I was shocked how FSU dominated. The pressure they placed on us was amazing to watch

madison-shumate.jpg

Madison Shumate - 5'-4" F Class of 2024 Penn Fusion SA U-16, Downingtown East H.S., Downingtown, PA
3stars.png
A player worth watching.

Last edited:
I saw PDA teams on Saturday and on Sunday, and Marrone plays for PDA Blue. Their U-17 team is off-the-charts good. They won the ECNL National title last fall. They are one of the strongest youth female teams (not including any of the national teams) that I've seen -- certainly top 10, probably top 5. Most of their starters have the talent to play D1.

The only negative, so to speak, with Marrone, or any other PDA players and PSU, is that Mike O'Neill, the head coach of Rutgers women's team, is also the Director of Coaching for PDA. I didn't notice if he was on the sidelines on Saturday with the U-17 team (or any of the other PDA teams), but he was definitely on the sidelines for their Sunday matches. He obviously takes the PDA role seriously, as Rutgers played in the NCAAs on Thursday (and lost on PKs to Clemson), and he was on the sidelines on Sunday, at away matches for PDA, and actively coaching the players.
Need to look into some of the ECNL SUSA women’s teams from Long Island…SUSA building impressive youth girls and boys programs...

Need to look into some of the ECNL SUSA women’s teams from Long Island…SUSA building impressive youth girls and boys programs...

I'm not sure who you're referencing "needs to look into some of the ECNL SUSA women's teams." If it's me, I've seen SUSA teams play. However, they compete in the New England ECNL conference, so I only see teams in that conference a couple of times a year. Penn Fusion, FC Delco, Match Fit, PDA Blue, PDA South, etc. play in the North Atlantic ECNL conference, and I see those teams quite a bit each year. A player has to really stand out for me to remember them from seeing them just a couple of times (at best) per year. SUSA has some good players, but you can pretty much say that about any of the 9 clubs that field teams in the New England conference, or the 9 clubs that field teams in the North Atlantic conference, the 13 clubs that field teams in the Mid-Atlantic ECNL conference, etc. Basically, there are no shortage of talented players on ECNL teams across the country. PSU is typically looking at the elite players from all of the ECNL teams across the county -- the ones that are on on USWNT rosters, or are invited to USWNT camps. That said, there aren't a lot of those players, and all of the top programs are trying to land those prospects, so PSU will also take some prospects that are really, really good, but just a cut below USWNT roster or camp level.

If you're referencing PSU's coaching staff, they are well aware of the the rosters of all of the ECNL programs, have access to game film of them, and see them play at the ECNL showcases, the ECNL playoffs, the ECNL finals, the ECNL national camps, etc.

Last edited:
Madison Shumate - 5'-4" F Class of 2024 Penn Fusion SA U-16, Downingtown East H.S., Downingtown, PA A player worth watching.

I've seen her play quite a few times. She's a very good player. Probably a level below elite, but I would not be surprised if she moved into the elite category.

Hailey Lewinski - 5'-3 D Class of 2024 FC Delco (ECNL) Penn Charter H.S., Ambler, PA
3stars.png
A player worth watching.

I've seen her play quite a few times. She's good, perhaps even very good. I don't think she's elite, but she's quite good.

Rain Boyd - 5'-4" D Class of 2024 FC Delco (ECNL) Perkiomen Valley H.S., Schwenksville, PA
3stars.png
A player worth watching.

Another players that I've seen play quite a few times. She's good ... I'd be surprised if she was ever USWNT camp level.

FWIW, I saw all three play this past weekend. They are all good ECNL players. I think Madison has the highest ceiling, but each of them are only in 9th grade. I hesitate to make a definitive statement about any player at that age, as a lot can change in a year or so due to growth spurts, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT