ADVERTISEMENT

2021 PSU WSOC Thread (delayed 2020 season)

lol, Nick Lee of PSU used the same thread ("chop wood, carry water") in his interview right after he won the NCAA 141 Wrestling Championship last weekend.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Indiana pressed a good bit at the start of the match, but PSU settled down, and by virtue of a goal just before the end of the half, have a 2-0 lead at the break. The game is on BTN. Win this, and they advance to the B1G Tourney Semis on Thursday. I believe Rutgers defeated Ohio State, in their quarterfinal, and will face the winner of this match.

Indiana switched to a 3-4-3 to generate more O in the 2nd half (which forced a number of corners). But they couldn't convert, and the formation left them vulnerable to counters by PSU. After missing on a nice 3-on-2, PSU was able to score for their 3rd goal.

Indiana finally got on the board with a great shot from about 40 yards out, to make it 3-1 with @ 17 minutes left in the match.

Final, 3-1, PSU. It rained very hard in the last 15 minutes of the match.

Good luck, ladies, in the B1G Tourney semis on Thursday against Rutgers

Reactions: Indian rocks rich
Final, 3-1, PSU. It rained very hard in the last 15 minutes of the match.

Good luck, ladies, in the B1G Tourney semis on Thursday against Rutgers
I think PSU will play the lowest seed so that would be IOWA. Rutgers will have Wisconsin. I think all the Semi and Final are play @ PSU

I think PSU will play the lowest seed so that would be IOWA. Rutgers will have Wisconsin. I think all the Semi and Final are play @ PSU

My mistake -- you are correct. PSU will play Iowa on Thursday, at 7:30 pm. The semifinal match will be broadcast on BTN.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Lost to IOWA really hurt PSU, unseeded to the NCAA.
Play Alabama St then 16th seed Vanderbilt if advance

All games will be played in North Carolina

Last edited:
Reactions: Will68 and TheGLOV
Lost to IOWA really hurt PSU, unseeded to the NCAA.
Play Alabama St then 16th seed Vanderbilt if advance

All games will be played in North Carolina

The Iowa loss was harmful. Win that game, and the B1G Tourney final, and they likely would have been a seeded team.

They'll play Alabama St. on 4/28. The winner of that match will face #16 seed Vanderbilt on 5/1. The winner of that match will face #1 seed FSU on 5/5.

Iowa (who won the B1G tourney) was not seeded. They'll face Campbell on 4/27, and the winner of that match will face #3 seed UCLA on 4/30.

Other B1G teams:

Rutgers faces Southeastern La. on 4/27, and the winner of that match faces #14 seed Clemson on 4/30.

tOSU faces Stony Brook on 4/29, and the winner of that match faces #11 Santa Clara on 5/2

I'm a Watcher of Penn State WSOC. I have no love lost for other B1G wsoc programs, BUT I have to scratch my head when I see teams in the 48 team NCAA D1 field like: Elon, Milwaukee, Liberty, Montana, Campbells, Siena, SIUE, Central Connecticut State, Loyola, Chicago, Alabama St., Southeastern Louisiana, Utah Valley, and Denver. I can think of several B1G wsoc teams NOT in the tournament that would just kick the ever lovin stuffing out of those teams. But hey, at least we have the #17 seed Penn State in the tournament.....
Automatic qualifiers from weak and mid-major conferences. The same happens in every NCAA tournament in every sport.

I would love to see the Power 5 conferences make a complete break from the NCAA and form their own athletic association. Complete autonomy. Have their own rules, all of it. Seems like managing 67 schools would be a lot easier than managing over 1500 (DI, DII and DIII) schools.
they'd still find a way to screw it up.

A look ahead to a potential matchup between Penn State WSOC and Vanderbilt WSOC.:

Penn State ranks #9 in the United Soccer Coaches poll, while Vanderbilt ranks #16. PSU compiled a 10-2-1 record during the spring season, while Vandy compiled a 9-5-1 record in a hybrid fall-spring season.

PSU won the B1G regular season championship, but lost in the B1G tournament semifinals to Iowa 1-0. Vandy won the SEC tournament title last fall defeating then #6 Arkansas by a 3-1 score in the title match.

PSU has scored 35 goals and given up 11 goals for a +24 margin in 13 games. Vandy has scored 37 goals and given up 18 goals for a +19 margin in 15 games. So, PSU is averaging 2.69 goals per game. And giving up 0.85 GPG. While Vandy is averaging 2.5 goals per game and allowing 1.2 GPG. So, PSU has a 1.8 margin per game in goals, while Vandy has a 1.3 margin in goals per game.

While PSU plays in the first round of the NCAA tourney on April 28th....or just 3 days before a potential matchup with Vandy, the Commodores drew a bye in the 1st. round of the tourney...and so their last game was back on April 11th., for 20 days between games by the time they play the Nittany Lions on May 1st., @ 2:00PM ET.

PSU has 2 NWSL draft picks, while Vandy has 1 NWSL draft pick.

I could drill down deeper into this matchup but won't for the sake of brevity. In sports in general it always comes down to "What have you done for me lately?" As mentioned Vandy will have gone 20 days since their last game on April 11th. While PSU plays on the 28th. That is a significant advantage for the 'Nits. Not enough to be the sole deciding factor in who wins, but a key factor nonetheless.

Another longstanding saying in sports is that "You win with defense." PSU's defense has been suspect at times this season; but so has Vandy's. I like PSU's 1.8 goal advantage compared to Vandy's 1.3 goal advantage per game. That is significant. So, PSU is outscoring their opponents by half a goal more than Vandy. Might not sound like much, but when spread out over the season, it is a significant edge for the 'Nits.

Not sure if coaches are allowed to scout their upcoming opponents down in Cary or not. If they are...Vandy's coaching sfaff is not going to like what they see. PSU's best chance to just win this game without having to go into overtime or worse yet PK's is to come out strong in the 1st. half against a somewhat rusty side and keep pressing the attack. They need to score in the first half and hopefully more than one goal. Vandy will get stronger as the game wears on so.....I see this game being decided by a single goal. If PSU is up a goal at the half, I like their chances, but if Vandy leads at the half or if the game is tied at the half, I think Vandy will win. Two evenly matched teams. Florida State is going to have their hands full, whoever wins this game.

Last, WSOC can't be looking past Vanderbilt to a possible 3rd.round matchup against the Seminoles as that would be disastrous. Generally you wouldn't look past a #16 ranked team; BUT when a possible matchup with the #1 Florida State side looms in the next game it is possible. If PSU plays against Vandy like they did the first half against Iowa they will lose by 2 or more goals. So, they will need to bring their 'A' game and play hard the full 90 minutes or longer.

Final Score prediction:

PSU 3

Vandy 2

Reactions: ParkAvenueSoccer
Ally Schlegel is having herself quite a season. IMHO, a 1st. Team All-American kind of season and a MAC Hermann Trophy Finalist kind of season (there are 3 finalists). She has scored 27 points (11 goals + 5 assists) in just 13 games. She has 3 game winning goals. She earned B1G Player of the Year at the forward position. And she is only a sophomore (redshirt)! In order for her to win the MAC Hermann Trophy Award, most likely Penn State would have to win the national title. But if she plays well and scores some goals in the tourney, a 1st. Team AA pick is a pretty safe bet.

Forgot, Schlegel is shooting an unreal .694% on her shots on goal percentage or just a mouse hair under 70%.

She good!

She REAL good!!

PSU 4 - ASU 0 HT
PSU 5 - ASU 0 Last goal was a bonus as PSU did not score!
17:48GOALFrankie Tagliaferri (Assist by Payton Linnehan)10
25:29GOALFrankie Tagliaferri (Assist by Ally Schlegel and Payton Linnehan)20
27:52GOALPayton Linnehan (Assist by Sam Coffey)30
32:00GOALOlivia Damico (Assist by Elle Kershner)40

Last edited:
This is Vanderbilt's 4th. straight season to earn a NCAA soccer tournament berth. (The program's website mentions how they and Penn State are "2 of just 17 wsoc programs to make the NCAA tourney field for the past four seasons." They conveniently left out that Penn State WSOC has of course qualified for the NCAA tournament for 26 straight years in the programs 27 year existence. Slight oversight I suppose. :rolleyes:
That's quite an achievement. Thanks for sharing. Seems that PSU WSOC has been a great program for a long time and hopefully ready to go next level into elite status.

ADVERTISEMENT