ADVERTISEMENT

2021 PSU WSOC Thread (delayed 2020 season)

Noteworthy: Stanford University is just 18.8 miles from Avaya Stadium. The stadium is 357 miles from Los Angeles, home to both UCLA and USC women's soccer programs. So a several hour bus ride or a puddle hopper flight. The stadium is 2,715 miles from State College, PA home to Penn State WSOC. Sounds fair to me...NOT. So, a 41.5 hour drive by car or a cross-country flight. Technically the NCAA can say of course that this is a neutral site; but are you freaking kidding me?!? 18.8 miles from Stanford to Avaya Stadium. I bring this up as at least one of the PAC-12 WSOC powers mentioned above figure to be playing there in December in the 2021 College Cup. Perhaps two of them. Seems like the NCAA could do a much better job of ensuring a fair and level playing field for something as important as the NCAA Division I Women's Soccer national title. So Stanford if they qualify would only take a 25 minute drive, while for Penn State WSOC should they qualify they would take a 2,715 mile cross country airplane flight, deal with jet-lag, hotel stays, bus ride from the hotel to the stadium and back and on and on. Again, sounds fair right?!? :rolleyes:
How many times did they have it on North Carolina campus?

Sam Coffey with a PK goal at the 59 minute mark to put PSU up 2-1

Ally Schlegel with a header for a goal at the 59 minute mark makes it 3-1, PSU

and a closer view of the goal

4-1 PSU

Ally Schlegel with the goal at the 78 minute mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Was this the year we were supposed to be awesome with the return of some Olympic hopefuls?

No.

I think you're referencing a situation from a few years ago when several of PSU's top players missed the fall season due to participating in the USWNT U-23 Championships (or something like that). I forget what year that took place, but it wasn't 2020 or 2019.

PSU has a lot of experience and firepower in their middies and attacks. The question marks with this year's team were the back line and GK. I think PSU is starting a true fresh on the back line, and another player (who was one of their best pre-injury) is returning from an ACL. In addition, the expected GK starter had to retire from the sport due to a heart issue, so the GK that PSU is starting had very little experience in college play. The truncated season doesn't help, but if PSU can get some solid play from the D, and they avoid injuries to their middies and attacks, PSU could be a serious NCAA contender this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT