ADVERTISEMENT

2020: Looks like we are playing San Jose State

Remember Idaho hadn't yet announced its intentions to drop to FCS when PSU scheduled them
It wasn't officially announced but them getting booted out of the Sun Belt was announced well before we signed them and the study to see if they could still support FBS football as an independent was well under way. Only the truly clueless didn't know the end result would be dropping to FCS or dropping football all together.

I am not a fan of neutral site games, the game isn't the same. I would like to have a home and with Alabama again.

The game was announced in late August, 2015. The Sun Belt didn't announce the boot until March 2016.
I stand corrected on the timing of Idaho officially being booted out of the Sun Belt, but both Idaho and New Mexico St had no chance of being retained in the Sun Belt after the contract expired. The other Sun Belt teams were complaining about the travel costs and neither Idaho or New Mexico St were showing any sign of a pulse in football until after they were booted out. We knew they had no chance of being retained and almost no chance of being in FBS when the game finally rolled around. Once the NCAA changed the rule so that 12 teams were not required to hold a championship game there was zero reason to keep either team and that probably wouldn't have mattered anyway given their lack of fielding competitive teams and travel costs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT