ADVERTISEMENT

2020: Looks like we are playing San Jose State

OK...so we will all be asking "do you know the way, to san jose"

We still need to get rid of that Idaho home game in 2019. Idaho is now FCS.

The Big Ten now allows games versus I-AA schools in years when a team only has 4 conference home games (like PSU does in 2019). So it's not an issue.

Not that I'd mind replacing Idaho.....

Reactions: ChiTownLion
Leave State College at a heading of 279 degrees, and stop 2357 miles later.

I flew over San Jose State's stadium on my last flight into SJC. Actually a pretty nice stadium, especially for a program with almost no fan support.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=sce-sjc
Must be a very common flight path over Spartan Stadium in San Jose, as I also flew right over the stadium on recent trip to SJC! I initially thought it was a very large high school stadium, until I looked closer.

The Big Ten now allows games versus I-AA schools in years when a team only has 4 conference home games (like PSU does in 2019). So it's not an issue.

Not that I'd mind replacing Idaho.....

As of the moment ---- Houston (the city, not the school) does not have a match-up for their 2019 kickoff game (they're trying, like Atlanta and Dallas, to make this an annual affair).

Would be fun to get involved in something like that.

As of the moment ---- Houston (the city, not the school) does not have a match-up for their 2019 kickoff game (they're trying, like Atlanta and Dallas, to make this an annual affair).

Would be fun to get involved in something like that.

There are pluses and minuses. One plus is exposure. The money is very good, as much as $3.5mm to $4mm.

Minus is that the game sponsors jam the participating teams with a ticket allocation of upwards of 25,000. While PSU travels exceptionally well, 25,000 for a game in Houston in early September is probably a bit much to expect. And unlike bowl games, where the Big Ten eats most or all of a school's unsold allotment, PSU would be on its own. So how many tickets are you buying, asshole?

Put a hundred down and buy a car? That sounds like my budget for cheap jerseys.

Not a fan of these ‘neutral’ site games. Asking 25,000 Penn Staters to fly to Houston in late August is a bit much to expect.

There’s a reason these games generally involve LSU in Houston or Bama in Atlanta. It’s relatively easy for their fans to get there and they have big fan bases in those cities already.

Once these neutral game sites open in New York, Washington, or Philly then PSU should consider it IMO.

Not a fan of these ‘neutral’ site games. Asking 25,000 Penn Staters to fly to Houston in late August is a bit much to expect.

There’s a reason these games generally involve LSU in Houston or Bama in Atlanta. It’s relatively easy for their fans to get there and they have big fan bases in those cities already.

Once these neutral game sites open in New York, Washington, or Philly then PSU should consider it IMO.

Financial negotiations for these games get kind of interesting. Washington is getting over $4mm to play in Atlanta in 2018. It's only required to take fewer than 8,000 tickets. Maybe the fact that it's opponent Auburn requested all that it could get and took over 40,000 had something to do with it.

Wisconsin seems to do ok with these games. In 2014, they played LSU in Hoiuston as part of a "home-and-home neutral site" arrangement. In 2016, LSU returned the favor by coming up north to play the return game in Lambeau Field. In between, the Badgers played Bama in Jeruh World to start the 2015 season. Imagine they were handsomely rewarded for their travels. Now, if Barbour could pull something like that off she'd have an easier time paying for all of the people and stuff she wants.

There are pluses and minuses. One plus is exposure. The money is very good, as much as $3.5mm to $4mm.

Minus is that the game sponsors jam the participating teams with a ticket allocation of upwards of 25,000. While PSU travels exceptionally well, 25,000 for a game in Houston in early September is probably a bit much to expect. And unlike bowl games, where the Big Ten eats most or all of a school's unsold allotment, PSU would be on its own. So how many tickets are you buying, asshole?

I'd try to make my way there. I've been to 6 of our 7 neutral-site games in the years after the 1-January-2011 Outback Bowl.

Houston's admittedly not the most ideal city in the world for PSU fans to travel to. But look at what other schools (our peers and non-peers) are doing. Wisconsin's done both Houston (though as part of a "home-and-home") and Dallas. Michigan's done Dallas twice. Ohio State is in Dallas this September. WVU has done Atlanta once, and will be doing it again in a few years. Ditto for Louisville. Boise State, Washington and Duke have played or will be playing in Atlanta.

Besides, Houston is behind the curve right now in terms of not having a game lined up. We could theoretically have leverage on that 25,000 number.

But I get it. A home game with an FCS team (broadcast on BTN and watched by virtually nobody) is our most likely 2019 opener. Extremely dull - but it's what I expect.

Last edited:
Financial negotiations for these games get kind of interesting. Washington is getting over $4mm to play in Atlanta in 2018. It's only required to take fewer than 8,000 tickets. Maybe the fact that it's opponent Auburn requested all that it could get and took over 40,000 had something to do with it.

Wisconsin seems to do ok with these games. In 2014, they played LSU in Hoiuston as part of a "home-and-home neutral site" arrangement. In 2016, LSU returned the favor by coming up north to play the return game in Lambeau Field. In between, the Badgers played Bama in Jeruh World to start the 2015 season. Imagine they were handsomely rewarded for their travels. Now, if Barbour could pull something like that off she'd have an easier time paying for all of the people and stuff she wants.

I agree. I forgot about the Wisky return game in Green Bay. I would be more in favor of it if it was a series with 1 game against LSU (or whoever) in Houston/ Atlanta and then a return ‘neutral site’ game in Philly/ DC/ NYC.

I guess, if done correctly, any $$ received (after expenses) could be applied to some account set aside for the planned renovation of the Beav.

SJSU is ugly, the stadium used to host the Earthquakes back in the 80's and the Clash when MLS started. It is a horrible stadium (I actually played a game there as a youth)....

Leave State College at a heading of 279 degrees, and stop 2357 miles later.

I flew over San Jose State's stadium on my last flight into SJC. Actually a pretty nice stadium, especially for a program with almost no fan support.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=sce-sjc
An SJSU alum just gave them $5 million yesterday to upgrade their football training facility, which is immediately adjacent to the east side of their stadium. Although SJSU is in the middle of Silicon Valley its sports program struggles for attention and funding. The 'Furd hoovers (pun intended) up most of both in that part of the Bay.

What?

I'd try to make my way there. I've been to 6 of our 7 neutral-site games in the years after the 1-January-2011 Outback Bowl.

Houston's admittedly not the most ideal city in the world for PSU fans to travel to. But look at what other schools (our peers and non-peers) are doing. Wisconsin's done both Houston (though as part of a "home-and-home") and Dallas. Michigan's done Dallas twice. Ohio State is in Dallas this September. WVU has done Atlanta once, and will be doing it again in a few years. Ditto for Louisville. Boise State, Washington and Duke have played or will be playing in Atlanta.

Besides, Houston is behind the curve right now in terms of not having a game lined up. We could theoretically have leverage on that 25,000 number.

But I get it. A home game with an FCS team (broadcast on BTN and watched by virtually nobody) is our most likely 2019 opener. Extremely dull - but it's what I expect.

When someone is paying you $4mm, how much fvcking leverage do you think you have? Oh, you don't know. Send an e-mail to Barbour and tell her to find out. You should have an answer by Monday afternoon, Tuesday latest.

And while that opener with Idaho might not get you all tingly, it pays a lot of bills.

Reactions: PSU_Nut
An SJSU alum just gave them $5 million yesterday to upgrade their football training facility, which is immediately adjacent to the east side of their stadium. Although SJSU is in the middle of Silicon Valley its sports program struggles for attention and funding. The 'Furd hoovers (pun intended) up most of both in that part of the Bay.
SJSU is in silicone valley? You mean all the women there have breast implants?

Reactions: psuken
How about WVU @ Heinz Field? That would cause a stir.

This would be perfect..

I enjoyed the game in the Meadowlands vs Syracuse. I know Penn State at Temple isn't considered neutral site but it's a fun venue. Bring USC, Notre Dame or LSU to Philly or whatever the Giants Stadium is called now and it'll fill up. I prefer the home and home series but if you can get a short term one game deal at a neutral site it's good for both programs and can be very profitable.

PSU should play the Trojans more often. Two big time programs going at it in an intersectional game is a good thing.

Reactions: psu00
When someone is paying you $4mm, how much fvcking leverage do you think you have? Oh, you don't know. Send an e-mail to Barbour and tell her to find out. You should have an answer by Monday afternoon, Tuesday latest.

And while that opener with Idaho might not get you all tingly, it pays a lot of bills.

Of course. I purposely used the words "could" and "theoretically" prior to the word "leverage" for a reason. We'll never know if we simply settle for Idaho and don't even think about the possibility of conversing with the Houston folk.

And of course that opener vs. Idaho pays a lot of bills. I realize that. So does Buffalo the week later.

But our OOC schedule is resembling a 15-years-married couple that does nothing but think about paying the bills, and never thinks of adventure. 2019 will mark 8 straight seasons where the only Power 5 OOC foes we will have played will have been (1-4) typically-mediocre Pittsburgh, (5) typically-mediocre Virginia in a "home-and-home" where they're getting out of making the return visit, and (6) typically-worse-than-mediocre Syracuse (in a neutral site game).

That's OOC schedule is boring, and also well behind our B1G peers (Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin) in terms of strength.

But, yeah, Idaho --- not even an FBS level team --- that game does pay the bills.

Reactions: JN1949
Of course. I purposely used the words "could" and "theoretically" prior to the word "leverage" for a reason. We'll never know if we simply settle for Idaho and don't even think about the possibility of conversing with the Houston folk.

And of course that opener vs. Idaho pays a lot of bills. I realize that. So does Buffalo the week later.

But our OOC schedule is resembling a 15-years-married couple that does nothing but think about paying the bills, and never thinks of adventure. 2019 will mark 8 straight seasons where the only Power 5 OOC foes we will have played will have been (1-4) typically-mediocre Pittsburgh, (5) typically-mediocre Virginia in a "home-and-home" where they're getting out of making the return visit, and (6) typically-worse-than-mediocre Syracuse (in a neutral site game).

That's OOC schedule is boring, and also well behind our B1G peers (Michigan, OSU, Wisconsin) in terms of strength.

But, yeah, Idaho --- not even an FBS level team --- that game does pay the bills.

"Well behind?" In 2019, Ohio State has FAU, Cincy, and Miami...of Ohio. Granted, that's cherry picking, but in general the OOCs are one good home-and-home and two one-and-done tomato cans. Michigan does better in some years and so do a number of schools outside of the Big Ten, but that's the general rule of thumb. Schools in conferences without a mandatory nine home games have more flexibility.

PSU's OOC schedules promise to improve in the future. Could have happened sooner if some moron hadn't inked a four-year deal with ASWP.

You can go back to fvcking yourself, now.

Neutral site games are a plague upon the sport. If I want to go to an NFL stadium, I'd do it on a Sunday, and watch an inferior product. Nothing beats that Friday on the campus or downtown of an away opponent. Unfortunately, the laziness of Tim Curley has left us with nothing but retreads from our independent days as our non-conference foes.

I agree. I forgot about the Wisky return game in Green Bay. I would be more in favor of it if it was a series with 1 game against LSU (or whoever) in Houston/ Atlanta and then a return ‘neutral site’ game in Philly/ DC/ NYC.

I guess, if done correctly, any $$ received (after expenses) could be applied to some account set aside for the planned renovation of the Beav.

Cut out the middleman and play at Baton Rouge and State College.

Reactions: nittany dave
Cut out the middleman and play at Baton Rouge and State College.

I’d prefer that by far but I don’t see it ever happening.

The neutral site game might get both teams attention due to $$$ as it’s likely both games pay more than either will make with 1 home/ 1 away game.

Neutral site games are a plague upon the sport. If I want to go to an NFL stadium, I'd do it on a Sunday, and watch an inferior product. Nothing beats that Friday on the campus or downtown of an away opponent. Unfortunately, the laziness of Tim Curley has left us with nothing but retreads from our independent days as our non-conference foes.

That's it, blame it on Curley. None of the current and future OOC is his doing. Blame Joyner and Barbour.

Reactions: psuro
I don't mind having an Idaho or other FCS school on there as long as there's a decent, mid-upper P5 in there as well. It gives you a chance to give younger guys some real game experience. The B1G East schedule is plenty tough enough where if you only lose 1 game on the season, you have a very good shot at being in the CFB playoff.

Remember Idaho hadn't yet announced its intentions to drop to FCS when PSU scheduled them

ADVERTISEMENT