ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Wrestling Predictions

I love the fact that every PSU fan is begging for Zahid to go up to 184 just so Mark can win another title, maybe you should have more faith in Hall.. And what makes you think Zahid can not go with Bo if he can beat Ringer and Dake I will take Zahid all day...

Zaid has beaten Bo in freestyle. That doesn’t always translate to folkstyle, but I would call it a toss-up. No slight on Bo whatsoever. Zaid is just that good.

2019: Teasdale, RBY, Lee, Berge, Nolf, Joseph, Hall, Nickal, Cassar, N Nevills.

2020: Teske, Teasdale, RBY, Lee, Berge, Joseph, Hall, Brooks, Cassar/Beard, S Nevills.

2019: Teasdale, RBY, Lee, Berge, Nolf, Joseph, Hall, Nickal, Cassar, N Nevills.

2020: Teske, Teasdale, RBY, Lee, Berge, Joseph, Hall, Brooks, Cassar/Beard, S Nevills.
2021: Teske, Teasdale, RBY, Verklereen, Lee, Berge, Manville, Brooks, Beard, SNevills.

Last edited:
184: Nickal repeats as champion and gets his third title. Martin is a good wrestler, but I just think it's another case of Nickal always showing up when it matters the most.

I won't touch on everything you said, but Martin has beaten Bo twice. Once in the NCAA finals and once in the B1G semis. Those certainly mattered. The first is why Bo won't be a 4xer. The second clinched the B1G title for OSU two years ago.

125: Suriano, Lee rematches but a new contender enters the ring...Daton Fix from Oklahoma State. This is always one of those weights where incoming freshman make a huge impact. PSU will be bringing in Roman Bravo-Young and Teasdale too.
133: Fix could also go up to 33 in order for Piccininni to stay at 125. Either way, all roads in this weight will lead back to Gross. Miccic is the top contender for Gross' crown, and he needs to score earlier because everyone could see how much Gross tanked at the end of that match.
141: Yianni...nothing more to be said. His weight class for the next three years.
149: Ashnault returns and makes his run at the post-Zain weight class. With a lot of wrestlers graduating at 149, it could be pretty open for Rutgers to get their first ever National Champion.
157: Nolf makes his final NCAA appearance and becomes a 3x National Champion.
165: It's hard to doubt Joseph at this point. He performs under the big lights and brings his best for the finals. Marinelli will be biting at his heels, along with Wick and Marsteller. I would love to see an all PIAA final with Joseph and Marsteller at this weight.
174: Valenica is jus too good and too big for this weight. And it's unbelievable he overshadows Mark Hall: a World Champion, NCAA Champion, and probably one of the best wrestlers his age. I think the rematch will be a lot closer.
184: Nickal repeats as champion and gets his third title. Martin is a good wrestler, but I just think it's another case of Nickal always showing up when it matters the most.
197: Cassar comes out and takes the weight by storm...wherever he goes. Moore is overhyped and gasses in tight matches.
285: Freshman phenom Stevenson storms through the season and makes itknown he is the top dog in this weight class for the next four years. Bold prediction: He might make a run for the next 4x undefeated college wrestler.

P.S. Rutgers fan here, but have been a longtime PSU wrestling fan since Cael took over. He is a true ambassador for the sport and couldn't be happier for the program/fans last night. Would love to hear all your thoughts.

Just to clarify -- no prediction with the word "might" can be called bold.

I love the fact that every PSU fan is begging for Zahid to go up to 184 just so Mark can win another title, maybe you should have more faith in Hall.. And what makes you think Zahid can not go with Bo if he can beat Ringer and Dake I will take Zahid all day...

Every Psu fan begging Zahid to go 184? What? Please link all these posts....I don’t think most Psu fans care where Zahid decides to wrestle . I hope Willy makes your post stupidest of the week where it clearly belong

Fake news dude! Show who is begging? Cael doesn’t beg and neither does his team. Zahid needs to grow up a weight. It’s in his best interests.

I don't care where Zahid goes next year but I'm more interested in seeing him face Bo if only because we've not seen that matchup. Also, outside that one phenomenal scramble in the finals, Hall and Zahid spend a lot of time not wrestling each other. The Bo and Zahid matchup is intriguing because Zahid is pretty conventional and aggressive from neutral and Bo can counter everyone.

If I'm thinking about it from a what's-best-for-PSU vantage, I really don't know whether it matters much--PSU is a much clearer frontrunner than last year. Zain's points are gone but the top contenders' lost more points or didn't gain enough ground.

But I think either Hall or Bo can beat Zahid and if Hall meets him he'll have a different game plan. The problem for Hall is that he and Zahid know each other well, before arriving at D1 even. I imagine Zahid became Hall's visionquest after losing the finals and he and the staff will figure it out.

Reactions: Gebmo and Crunched
You resurrected a 10-week dead thread to say that?

Reactions: Gebmo
I see the name, Tan Tom all of the time, so here's my question...

...why do some end up tan, while other(s) end up orange with raccoon circles on their eyes?

Last edited:
Reactions: midniteride
2021: Teske, Teasdale, RBY, Verklereen, Lee, Berge, Manville, Brooks, Beard, SNevills.

I assume you mean Joe Lee ? Unless there is a redshirt involved, NIck will be gone by the start of the 2021 season.

Every Psu fan begging Zahid to go 184? What? Please link all these posts....I don’t think most Psu fans care where Zahid decides to wrestle . I hope Willy makes your post stupidest of the week where it clearly belong

First off Look at all the previous posts every PSU guy is saying that Zahid is or should go up. And of course PSU fans care where Z goes because Hall will not beat him...

First off Look at all the previous posts every PSU guy is saying that Zahid is or should go up. And of course PSU fans care where Z goes because Hall will not beat him...
And they are saying that because he is super large for 174 and appears that 184 is a better alternative. Not because anyone is afraid. He is a damn good wrestler and will give Bo or Hall a run for their money. However, whatever weight he is not at becomes that much easier for Bo or Hall. So, it really doesn't matter where he goes. Net points are the same ... one 95% first place, one 50-50 fight for first place.

When did Zahid beat Kyle Dake?

Just a guess, but I don't see Zahid losing again in college. I hope I'm wrong for Mark's or possibly Bo's sake (if he isn't going to 197). I would love to see him and Bo scrap in folk though.

Z-money going up may be a kindness to his bro though, right?

Just a guess, but I don't see Zahid losing again in college. I hope I'm wrong for Mark's or possibly Bo's sake (if he isn't going to 197). I would love to see him and Bo scrap in folk though.

Z-money going up may be a kindness to his bro though, right?

he was a little vulnerable in the semi's last year (at NCAA). Regardless, great wrestler but not heads above Hall or Bo. Believe all the move up in weight class conversation was based on most opinions of him being large for the weight class.

I seem to remember Hall already beating him. If you meant Hall won't beat Zahid ever again, I also remember people saying that about Joseph vs IMar. As others have said, it doesn't matter overall which weight Zahid is at. (Although I bet Anthony would love to move up to 174.)

Interesting comments. Every PSU fan? Hall will not beat him (speaking of Zahid)? I'll assume you're not trolling us, otherwise it wouldn't be worth my time to respond.

This forum community represents a very, very small percentage of PSU Wrestling fans, and on top of that, not everyone here has said Zahid should go up. Speaking in absolutes, as you have, shows a total lack of comprehension of facts that can't be explained.

Here's one fan's opinion. I don't care which weight class Zahid wrestles. Frankly, I don't care what weight class our guys wrestle. As for our guys, it's in the hands of some pretty good coaches that I have unconditional and total trust in, so no worries. Just along for the ride, enjoying every minute of the success, thankful and grateful for all 35+ guys on the roster. Whatever happens, happens, and I still won't worry. I'll discuss it, but not worry. Now you can't say "every PSU fan" any longer.

I think when he said, "If he can beat Ringer and Dake", he was referring hypothetically if he beats Dake at the Final X.

It's a bad argument and I don't think he meant it that way anyway. He did beat Ringer, and in the same sentence he is already counting on him beating Dake. It's a shit argument by somebody who wants to see PSU lose so badly he makes silly arguments.

Gross is gone next year. McKenna bumps up as will Pletcher and Campbell if they don’t RS. Valencia has to bump up.
Campbell is the only guy bumping up. Why would they bump Fletcher and create another gigantic hole at133 to go along with 125 when you have Hayes and Micah Jordan fitting in there as well??

125: Malik Heinselman
133: Luke Pletcher
141: Joey McKenna
149: Micah Jordan
157: KeShawn Hayes
165: Kaleb Romero
174: TeShan Campbell
184: Myles Martin
197: Kollin Moore
HWY: Chase Singletary

Interesting comments. Every PSU fan? Hall will not beat him (speaking of Zahid)? I'll assume you're not trolling us, otherwise it wouldn't be worth my time to respond.

This forum community represents a very, very small percentage of PSU Wrestling fans, and on top of that, not everyone here has said Zahid should go up. Speaking in absolutes, as you have, shows a total lack of comprehension of facts that can't be explained.

Here's one fan's opinion. I don't care which weight class Zahid wrestles. Frankly, I don't care what weight class our guys wrestle. As for our guys, it's in the hands of some pretty good coaches that I have unconditional and total trust in, so no worries. Just along for the ride, enjoying every minute of the success, thankful and grateful for all 35+ guys on the roster. Whatever happens, happens, and I still won't worry. I'll discuss it, but not worry. Now you can't say "every PSU fan" any longer.
Ok my bad there are quite a few Psu fans that want him to go 84 is that better. And I would also because I dont think Hall wins another one against Z and Bo has a better chance IMO

It's a bad argument and I don't think he meant it that way anyway. He did beat Ringer, and in the same sentence he is already counting on him beating Dake. It's a shit argument by somebody who wants to see PSU lose so badly he makes silly arguments.
Your silly and actually I think Dake wins

Gross is back next year, even said it in his post championship interview. I don't think McKenna nor Pletcher will win their weight class.

If he comes back, I think he can finally make a run to a title. I just don't see anyone else at 149 really. Does PSU have anyone waiting behind Zain? I haven't heard anything about Manville since he's been recruited.
Berge will man 149 for PSU--he is a good one! maybe as good as top 4

Reactions: a_mshaffer
he was a little vulnerable in the semi's last year (at NCAA). Regardless, great wrestler but not heads above Hall or Bo. Believe all the move up in weight class conversation was based on most opinions of him being large for the weight class.
The separation between Dake and DT or Borroughs and DT isn't great either, but the smart money is the smart money. We've seen a 1-2 series between Hall and Zahid, but recall that after Hall beat Zahid last year, he said in interview he's wrestlend him HUNDREDS of times and that was his first time winning. The Bo sample size is smaller, but it's my eyeballs that make me think Z is gonna end his career undefeated. I would love to be wrong though, and I don't think it's by any means a lock.

Anthony seems to need to eat though, and if he can move up, it might be what's best for the team.

174: I think that Isaiah White could make the biggest leap next year and be the biggest threat to Cenzo.

Also, if Zahid will not move up to 184 what is stopping Anthony from jumping 2 weight classes and going 184? I know it's a large jump but I have to imagine that if the weight cut is so hard on A. Valencia that he is probably walking around in the 180s in the off season. Bulk up the best you can in the offseason and be able to eat or stay at 165 and continue to be miserable and hate the sport (he at least appears to hate it by his demeanor during the season).

Zahid will beat Hall the vast majority of the time. He is just too big and rangy for Hall to get in on him. His only recent win was because Zahid grabed Halls head gear otherwise that probably would have gone differently, too.

Zahid and Bo would be a different story and a more appropriate matchup as the size is similar. But Zahid is definitely elite.... and getting better. Moving up a weight would benefit both he and his brother.

Zahid will beat Hall the vast majority of the time. He is just too big and rangy for Hall to get in on him. His only recent win was because Zahid grabed Halls head gear otherwise that probably would have gone differently, too.

Zahid and Bo would be a different story and a more appropriate matchup as the size is similar. But Zahid is definitely elite.... and getting better. Moving up a weight would benefit both he and his brother.
Hall's best chance to beat Zahid is Friday night in the semis. Problem is both Hall and Campbell and nearly untouchable against the rest of the field and will be seeded #1 and #2 unless something bizarre happens. No Friday night meeting between them.

Speaking of cutting weight, do you think NaTo has post-mortem regrets about sucking back down to 125 for his final year? Obviously didn’t improve his end result. Gotta wonder if he’d just give it a go at 133 and enjoy life more if he had a do-over.

How much of that is coach imposed vs wrestler choice at this level?
IMOP the weight cut at OSU is coach imposed--it looks like most of OSU team cuts big

Hall's best chance to beat Zahid is Friday night in the semis. Problem is both Hall and Campbell and nearly untouchable against the rest of the field and will be seeded #1 and #2 unless something bizarre happens. No Friday night meeting between them.
Campbell? I think you mean Valencia, correct?;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT