ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Looks like one of Michigan's early 2019 verbals, and a composite Top 100 one at that, is about to flip.

Stephen Herron Jr.
Trinity (Louisville, KY)
WDE
6-3.5 235 0.9684
National Rank 68
Position 5
State 1

cb's in for Stanford from Trieu, Wiltfong and Ace (Michigan writer).

haha-gif.gif

Looks like one of Michigan's early 2019 verbals, and a composite Top 100 one at that, is about to flip.

Stephen Herron Jr.
Trinity (Louisville, KY)
WDE
6-3.5 235 0.9684
National Rank 68
Position 5
State 1
Judge this is great! A "two-for". Take-away from Michigan and pick up by PAC 12 (who cares)

Last edited:
Reactions: Judge Smails

Stephen Herron Jr.
Trinity (Louisville, KY)
WDE
6-3.5 235 0.9684
National Rank 68
Position 5
State 1

haha-gif.gif
Things are getting better for them... Last year, they lost their only top 100 recruit on the second signing day

"Overall great visit, and I know [Ford is] looking at lining up a date for the official [to Penn State] this spring. He plans to commit in June."

I get PSU is going after higher rated LBs, but the coaches must have really seen something when he camped at PSU that's held the staff back from extending an offer. Footwork-speed? Maybe he has physically peaked and the coaches have concern on his size?

Maybe the coaches know Keith's interest level in PSU? Meaning they may know he is a lock if they offer. This way they can hold his offer in the back-pocket while going after high profile nationwide LBs early, and if they don't land them they know they can give Keith the offer and land him no matter when offered up to NSD.

OR maybe Keith hates Penn State (may be unlikely as he probably wouldn't have camped at PSU), and has absolutely 0 interest in attending PSU. All of his crystal balls are Notre Dame. Growing up in a Penn State family, there is no way I would have any interest in Notre Dame. Same with having multiple friends who grew up in all Notre Dame families, they hated Penn State.

Probably the most likely scenario - the coaches didn't see enough to feel comfortable enough to offer him a scholarship when he camped in the summer after his sophomore year. Especially when many 2019 offers at LB weren't sent out yet.

Maybe the coaches know Keith's interest level in PSU? Meaning they may know he is a lock if they offer. This way they can hold his offer in the back-pocket while going after high profile nationwide LBs early, and if they don't land them they know they can give Keith the offer and land him no matter when offered up to NSD.

OR maybe Keith hates Penn State (may be unlikely as he probably wouldn't have camped at PSU), and has absolutely 0 interest in attending PSU. All of his crystal balls are Notre Dame. Growing up in a Penn State family, there is no way I would have any interest in Notre Dame. Same with having multiple friends who grew up in all Notre Dame families, they hated Penn State.

Probably the most likely scenario - the coaches didn't see enough to feel comfortable enough to offer him a scholarship when he camped in the summer after his sophomore year. Especially when many 2019 offers at LB weren't sent out yet.
4th year in the state and they have some ears to the ground. There usually tends to be a reason and it may be as simple as this kid is going to ND so don't bother? I have no idea, but this staff usually just doens't not offer talented kids without a reason.

Fitz has a CB in for Jordan Houston to VT....I’m hoping this is good news for PSU regarding Ford.....nothing against Houston but I’d rather take Ford and I doubt we get both

Reactions: kevin310
Statement could be legit. The Spring evaluation period has been referred to for many years. Coaches/staffs continue to review film from each players 2017 seasons and then prioritize players at each position. Just like PSU seems to have done with Hawkins, CB from NJ, some previous top targets move down the list as other players become the top targets.

Yes, oh-high-ya LO10 could be just trying to save face, but who really knows who most of the top targets are for each school, although some are obvious.
What happened with Hawkins?

What happened with Hawkins?

Nothing yet, Virginia Tech has picked up a recent trend of crystal balls when PSU held the majority until recently.
I'm not sure if there is a real answer actually out there behind a pay wall, but as stated in this thread there are lots of reasons why PSU would cool on someone. It doesn't seem like this one is likely to heat up again. Over the last few seasons we have kind of seen it all with why this might happen. I have no idea if it is just on the field stuff or not, but his ranking has dropped about 100 spots in the composite over the last year. Maybe the staff sees something others are just starting to.

With their other DB targets for PSU (Wilson, Rudolph etc) Hawkins is likely to go elsewhere. Same situation as Houston

Put together a list of who I feel is the most likely to sign with PSU at each position, that currently holds a Penn State offer:

Quarterback: Ta'Quan Roberson - Wayne, NJ (Verbally committed)
Runningback: Devyn Ford - Stafford, VA
Wide Receiver: DeMarcco Heallams - Hyattsville, MD
Tight End: Jahleel Billingsley - Chicago, IL
Offensive Tackle: Xavier Truss - Warwick, RI
Offensive Guard: Caedan Wallace - Princeton, NJ
Defensive Tackle: Steven Faucheux - West Chester, OH
Defensive End: Brandon Smith - Mineral, VA
Outside Linebacker: Andre White Jr. - Harrisburg, PA
Inside Linebacker: Shane Lee - Baltimore, MD
Cornerback: Keaton Ellis - State College, PA (Verbally committed)
Safety: Tyler Rudolph - Oakdale, CT

Can someone answer what's special about Keaton Ellis.
He has the ideal length that they look for in their cornerbacks and ran in the 4.3s at their camp. There isn’t a lot of junior film on him because he broke his hand less than halfway through the year, so I suspect he hasn’t gotten the rankings bump he should have gotten because his play until he got hurt was really, really good.

He’s a lot like Katshir - a relatively local kid (extremely local, in Ellis’ case) with the frame they want for the position and they really liked what they saw from him at camp. Franklin and the staff have probably watched more games in the Mid Penn Conference than anyone, so they know what they’ve seen on the field and at camp.

His stature will be very similar to Christian Campbell but speed is closer to that of Grant Haley. I believe his father might have been an NFL player too. Also, James Franklin offered him a scholarship and given his track record thus far he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Nope but I'm looking forward to seeing it on the field. They don't give and accept early commits without feeling confident about them. This is especially true given the recent bump in interest from top-tier talent. Justin Fields rings a bell as evidence of their talent evaluation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT