ADVERTISEMENT

2019 Recruiting Class Thread

Sounds like Ohio State is struggling with the end of the 2019 class...

Silverbullet71 17 HOURS AGO
I'm willing to bet there's a few silents in the basket already. Then, I will go on a limb and say we will see some off the radar guy coming on board or flipping in Janurary. I've seen this story before and it typically ends well for Urban and OSU

Andrew Ellis STAFF 4 HOURS AGO
I wouldn’t be willing to bet on that at all. Would feel much more comfortable betting on (OSU 4* verbal) Jordan Battle flipping to Bama.

OSU069 4 HOURS AGO
Well that's not great to hear.

Napbuck 4 HOURS AGO
At the rate we are going with this class I think we will be lucky to finish in the top 20. This class could be a problem for us in a couple years much like how the 2015 class has.
That class even finished a lot higher than this one will.

Hoosierbuck7 3 HOURS AGO
"Hopefully" is the key word. If the most recent offers show anything, it's that the staff is fighting for their lives just to get 3* Ohio kids to flip. I think the "rumors" about Meyer's future combined with the out-of-state focus in previous years is truly hurting the Buckeyes right now. It's promising to see what they've held onto in 2020, but it looks like the staff has their work cut out for them to finish with a top 15 class in 2019.

Napbuck 3 HOURS AGO
I agree with this assessment Hoosier, the homegrown kids didn’t want to wait around on OSU for an offer that might not ever come and now we are trying to play catch up with them. And all the the bs that’s been put out there from the off season and now all the crap with him not coming back to the way the team has played as hurt for oos kids.

If you were to attend a high school football game to watch a current student-athlete being recruited by Penn State, would you wear Penn State clothing?

Will any of the staff make a trip to Toledo from AA Friday night to catch Zach Harrison playing in the first round of OHSAA football playoffs? Less than 5 miles of city traffic with the remainder being US 23. Total driving time just under an hour.

A follow up to question one; what if you were fortunate enough to receive a sideline pass with the team said recruit plays for?

Just asking......:cool:

OL

If you were to attend a high school football game to watch a current student-athlete being recruited by Penn State, would you wear Penn State clothing?

Will any of the staff make a trip to Toledo from AA Friday night to catch Zach Harrison playing in the first round of OHSAA football playoffs? Less than 5 miles of city traffic with the remainder being US 23. Total driving time just under an hour.

A follow up to question one; what if you were fortunate enough to receive a sideline pass with the team said recruit plays for?

OL
I'd be shocked if Franklin wasn't at that game Friday night.

OL

OL, too bad Archbold and North Union just missed the playoffs this year. We could have rooted our boys to win on Friday but looks like you have a back-up plan. Enjoy

Reactions: TheGLOV
Yep, a lot of disappointment for the Blue Streaks. Went on a 3-game skid that took them out of it.
Wish there was a way to incorporate a playoff system like Ohio FB into CFB.
Good to hear of another Ohioan on the board.

OL

Yep, a lot of disappointment for the Blue Streaks. Went on a 3-game skid that took them out of it.
Wish there was a way to incorporate a playoff system like Ohio FB into CFB.
Good to hear of another Ohioan on the board.

OL
Another Ohioian out of the hard coal country OL, I’m not even here thirty years yet so I’m really a newbie.
I’m actually just a couple school districts over from Orange and my old boss is a volunteer coach there in a different sport but knows the Harrison kid is a special case. And there’s no indication of what decision is coming he knows about. He’s hoping he goes north but only to his school in Toledo as the choice.

Its creepy how adults "tweet" to these players.
How true, but then I wonder about something else. I love this recruiting thread. It’s the first thing I look for. Then I think what’s wrong with us as grown men obsessing over the frivolous comments of 17 and 18 year old kids. Then I realize again that I love it, keep them coming.

How true, but then I wonder about something else. I love this recruiting thread. It’s the first thing I look for. Then I think what’s wrong with us as grown men obsessing over the frivolous comments of 17 and 18 year old kids. Then I realize again that I love it, keep them coming.

I enjoy reading "tweets" that are reposted here of recruits, but could never imagine pleading with a recruit to come to PSU.

https://www.maizenbrew.com/michigan...ting-roundup-hail-to-the-victor-frankensteins

Will RB Verbal Eric Gray ghost Michigan?

Gray emphasized seeing Michigan in a game atmosphere was “crucial” for his recruitment, since he has never witnessed a game live. However, this weekend, instead of attending what should be a raucous game against Penn State, Gray will be heading to Baton Rouge for the LSU-Alabama matchup. Next week, he plans on being in Tuscaloosa for the Alabama-Mississippi State game.

That only leaves the last home game for Michigan, against Indiana, on Nov. 17 for Gray to attend. This is disappointing considering that atmosphere will not be as electric as it will be this weekend. It’s also concerning Gray says, “I want to go up there really bad because I feel I need to witness that atmosphere” about Michigan, but is prioritizing other visits.

Gray said around the first signing period date, Dec. 19, is when he’ll be making his final decision.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I enjoy reading "tweets" that are reposted here of recruits, but could never imagine pleading with a recruit to come to PSU.

Yes, I agree with this. It's fun to follow along and see what they have to say. But engaging the kids, especially those uncommitted or committed elsewhere, is very creepy.

I won't even follow a kid unless he's committed to PSU. Even then I don't tweet at them until they are on campus. AND even then it's almost never about football. Usually a simple congrats on some academic achievement that the coach tweeted first.

but could never imagine pleading with a recruit to come to PSU.
But engaging the kids, especially those uncommitted or committed elsewhere, is very creepy.
Please let me clarify.
I am not planning to engage or make any contact with a recruit this Friday. The head coach of the team is a former player from when I was an assistant back in the 1990's and remains a friend. There was a possibility that my week 10 game last week would be canceled (the team we played actually dressed 13 players), and I said I would like to see his kids play. He said he would get me on the sideline and joked he'd set me up with headphones.
This week is first round of playoffs and his team is less than an hour away. Told him I was going to be at the game with other coaches and that I'd take my sideline pass with a :) attached. He said he'd do what he could.
In no way, shape or form do I plan on talking to any players if I am in fact permitted on the sideline. I have spoken to the player in question at the Blue and White game. I'm not a person with any social media, so I don't follow any recruits.
Just wanted to clear the air IF in fact, references were being made towards my attendance at the game.
If the comments are not towards me, I apologize for the rant.

OL

Has Zach Harrison said if he plans to enroll early? His commitment date seems to leave open that possibility.

Just wanted to clear the air IF in fact, references were being made towards my attendance at the game.
If the comments are not towards me, I apologize for the rant.

My comment was strictly in response to the post I quoted. I have no issue with you personally. In fact, since you have a close connection to the player's head coach, I wouldn't hold it against you if you did talk to the kid. Why not?

I was speaking more about the nut jobs on twitter that directly respond to any tweet a potential recruit posts. There are a ton of adults, grown men, on there begging kids to pick Penn State (and other schools) and then calling the kids vile names if they commit elsewhere. It's actually disturbing.

A casual comment at a kid you actually have a loose personal connection to has absolutely nothing to do with the creepy twitter stalking that everyone should frown upon. I don't mind twitter comments either as long as they are lighthearted and positive. The tweets with personal attacks or begging are very disturbing and I wouldn't mind if they were literally criminal lol

I don't mind twitter comments either as long as they are lighthearted and positive.
Not me. DON'T TWEET AT CROOTS. Words to live by. Regardless of content, phrasing, etc. I find there to be no good reasons for fans to be tweeting at recruits.

Visual aid:
B5Ecmp6CMAAScTO.png:large

D'Von Ellies: Penn State vs. Ohio State

Ellies seems as if he will end up at one of these two Big Ten programs but Florida is also in the mix. He will be back in State College for his official visit when Wisconsin plays Penn State and is going to the Ohio State game against Michigan at the end of November. Florida, West Virginia, and Rutgers remain in the mix but this recruitment is going to come down to the Nittany Lions and Buckeyes. Having visited Penn State so many times and considering Penn State's biggest need right now is defensive tackle, it's hard to see Ellies ending up anywhere else.

https://bwi.rivals.com/news/mid-atlantic-spotlight-best-two-team-recruiting-battles

Saw something about Lance Dixon now enrolling early

Yep... Per 247:

Penn State commit Lance Dixon (West Bloomfield High School, West Bloomfield Township, MI) was officially recognized as an 2019 All-American today. The future Nittany Lion will play in nineteenth All-American Bowl presented by American Family Insurance on January 5, 2019 in San Antonio, Texas.

"Coming from so little, it means a lot," Dixon said. "Going from getting my first offer, which feels like yesterday, to now."

Dixon will play in the ball game and then go immediately from San Antonio to Happy Valley to enroll in school at Penn State, where he is one of the highest-ranked commits in a class that is No. 13 in the country and No. 2 in the Big Ten per the 247Sports Composite Team Recruiting Rankings.

Before any of this can happen though, Dixon has business to take care of at West Bloomfield first. Namely, winning a state title. His team lost in the state championship game his junior year, and Dixon is one of just a few seniors looking to make sure this Laker team takes it one step further. The next step happens on Friday night against perennial power Detroit Catholic Central, a ball game Penn State head coach James Franklin is set to attend.

"We just need to get the guys to stay focused," Dixon said. "We are a young team this year. We have a lot of juniors. Not having that many seniors to help, we're taking on a bigger role with leadership. Tre Mosley and I are trying to take a bigger role in leading the team."

Part-way through the season, star sophomore tailback Donovan Edwards was injured and lost for the remainder of the season. West Bloomfield head coach Ron Bellamy had to find ways to get more playmakers in the game on offense, so Dixon began playing more on that side of the ball and has provided several explosive plays.

"Losing Donovan hurt us, but Donovan and anybody else knows it's next man up," Dixon said. "We can't have any drop-offs, so I'm the next man up and have to do my job."

Dixon continues to stay in group chat with the rest of Penn State's 2019 class. He also said he frequently speaks to the Nittany Lion coaches. He also watches them on Saturdays, envisioning his future in Blue and White.

"It is definitely a blessing knowing I will play in front of that many people and that fan base," he said. "It's a good feeling."

He and the other commits also continue to recruit other top targets to join them in the class. For Dixon, it is an easy sell because he can champion all the same reasons he chose Penn State.

"It is definitely a family environment, something you can't find anywhere else," he said, "and the family aspect means everybody embraces you and it feels like home."

Question for this Board/recruiting thread's experts?
Why are Dixon, Ellis and Brisker rated as 3 stars on Rivals ( maybe Porter as well) and not higher?
This has pounded to death repeatedly. Unfortunately so much of the evaluations are subjective in the eyes of the evaluators. And that may unbelievablely be more acceptable and accurate then relying on solely on physical metrics. Plus sadly some of it is based on weather the player attends the camps of the rating service. Guess what, it’s a for profit deal as Steve Martin said in the movie the Jerk

This has pounded to death repeatedly. Unfortunately so much of the evaluations are subjective in the eyes of the evaluators. And that may unbelievablely be more acceptable and accurate then relying on solely on physical metrics. Plus sadly some of it is based on weather the player attends the camps of the rating service. Guess what, it’s a for profit deal as Steve Martin said in the movie the Jerk

What does weather have to do with it?

NOA POLA-GATES: Alabama vs. Penn State

dlwqeceu57whmj85dgsd

NATIONAL
STATE
POSITION

NOA
POLA-GATES

RANK
5'11" | 180 LBS | S
WILLIAMS FIELD
GILBERT, AZ
CLASS OF 2019
UNDECIDED

The four-star defensive back attended Penn State’s White-Out against Ohio State earlier this season and called it “spiritual”. Pola-Gates also had a phenomenal time at Nebraska in the last few weeks but the Huskers would still be considered an outsider as his recruitment winds down in the coming months.

The only other visit Pola-Gates has scheduled and is expected to take is to Alabama for its Iron Bowl match-up against Auburn. That is virtually guaranteed to be an excellent environment and it’s going to be the final visit for Pola-Gates, always a telling sign on where some recruits are leaning. The four-star is a top priority for the Crimson Tide in this recruiting class, he’s liked Alabama for a long time and who says no to Nick Saban?

latest

Reactions: NedFromYork
Ryan, is there any interest from JF on Cole Wittman from York Catholic? He is fast and big it’s Jon Wittmans son. Make a great lb

Reactions: NedFromYork
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT