ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Senior World Cup

Real nice showing for US team, lots of techs and we were in all the matches we lost. The additional weights really help us b/c Maple, Green, DT, and Dake are all world medal potential. US has so much depth, suddenly, that our backups, as its own team, would have beaten most of the countries who competed this weekend. And IMO the US starters probably would've beaten Russia and Iran if they'd showed up.

I know next to nothing about the team, who are starters and who were backups in the finals?

If John wanted a team title he would have. He wants bonus points but can’t see his guys are conserving energy.
You might want to re-check their results and rosters.

In 2016: 141 Heil (1), 149 Collica (4), 157 Smith (7), 165 Dieringer (1). Heil is not finishing 1st ahead of Zain, either Collica or Smith would have to sit, and who goes 141? Brock was injured, so Smith's only choice would be to pull Piccininni's shirt and run Harding up to 141.

In 2017: 141 Heil (1), 149 Collica (DNP), 157 Smith (4), 165 Rogers (5), 174 Crutchmer (7), 184 Boyd (6), 197 Weigel (6). Again, Heil finshes worse at 149 than he did at 141. With the rest of that lineup, the only option is sitting Collica -- which is 20/20 hindsight since he was the #2 seed at nationals. And that would mean starting someone none of us have ever heard of at 141, who has yet to start before or since, instead of Collica at 149.

These are the definition of weakening multiple weights.

EDIT: I guess it's possible Heil could've moved up this year -- though he was a 2x defending champ at 141 and was not gonna beat Zain at 149. So even that is 20/20 hindsight, but I'll play along. Smith could've pulled Gfeller's shirt and had Gfeller 141, Heil 149, Lewallen 157. Perhaps that trio beats the actual R12-8-DNQ. And maybe instead of finishing T13th (37.5 pts) they might have even beaten Arizona State (43.0) for 10th. Maybe. But likely not enough to join the 7th-9th cluster (Cornell 48.0, VT 47.5, Nebraska 47.0), and absolutely no way they catch Missouri (61.5) for 6th.

Last edited:
Ryan and Koll will present that video to the NCAA wrestling committee titled "Duals matter, DT promotes dual championship"

Smith could've pulled Gfeller's shirt and had Gfeller 141, Heil 149, Lewallen 157. Perhaps that trio beats the actual R12-8-DNQ. And maybe instead of finishing T13th (37.5 pts) they might have even beaten Arizona State (43.0) for 10th. Maybe. But likely not enough to join the 7th-9th cluster (Cornell 48.0, VT 47.5, Nebraska 47.0), and absolutely no way they catch Missouri (61.5) for 6th.

Nobody knew this better than coach Smith......hence no Joe Smith and no Gfeller or Fix. Next year I think we will see the best version of Joe Smith for two years along with Fix, Gfeller and possibly Wittlake next year. More likely Wittlake the following year with a new heavyweight. They will be a strong team going forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT