ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

We gave one of the strongest, if not the strongest, defensive back recruit group in the country this year. Playing time could be one of his concerns.
Or he just likes Pitt better. Not everyone wants to go to Penn State, just like not everyone wants to go to OSU, Michigan, Notre Dame and Pitt. We're not gonna get them all.

In the 5A st. championship Pitts floored Parsons in a picturesque tackle. I was stunned. One the cleanest tackles I saw all year.

Of course not, but it also isn't an excuse. But him being 17 is
If he ends up at PSU, do you think Parsons wants a ton of minutes his freshman year and, if so, could that be a problem? Do you think he could get minutes over, say, Farmer at OLB, or Simmons at DE? All assuming that he has earned them. Does he project to be that good?

Sorry for the hypotheticals. Just passing time (and gas occasionally).:)

If he ends up at PSU, do you think Parsons wants a ton of minutes his freshman year and, if so, could that be a problem? Do you think he could get minutes over, say, Farmer at OLB, or Simmons at DE? All assuming that he has earned them. Does he project to be that good?

I would think Parson would garner significant playing time as a freshman. I could see him being a starter by seasons end.

Reactions: TheGLOV

Parsons would definitely see playing time as a freshman kid is a beast but also a drama queen lol

Guessing Franklin has good idea of kids left who is going to commit and who is not. You don't offer kickers and some 3 star backer from Cali if you aren't sure. I'm guessing he has 2 or 3 silent verbals, 2 or 3 50/50s, 1 or 2 who may be waiting for another to confirm and wants to find one for sure. If Parsons commits in Dec or Feb on signing day I will believe it was all orchestrated as a way for PSU to finally get that big signing day commitment we never seem to get.

KJ Hamler is DeSean Jackson, if he does not return punts at some point for PSU after his presumed redshirt this year i would be utterly shocked and it would be a good thing I guess because someone is doing that good at it. KJ went my alma mater in Michigan and he is the best punt returner I have ever seen in Michigan HS football.

Last edited:
What position?

That's a good question. With his speed I could see him playing LB. But I think he lacks the high school experience to play LB full time as a freshman. I would use him as a pass rushing LB or DE to start the season. See what he excels at and go from there.

Wish people on here would remember he is 18 years old kid. Cut him a break. Let the kid have some fun. He sure as hell isnt hurting anyone. I think what's important for Parsons is to surround himself with good people. IMHO I believe Franklin and his family first atmosphere would be a tremendous benefit to Parsons. We have a lot of high character kids who would guide and hold him accountable. Think that is every bit as important as the coaching he'd receive. Regardless of where he plays, I wish he and his family all the best.

Reactions: LionJim
We actually do pretty well in Beaver County with the exception of Aliquippa. Poz (Hopewell), Moye (Rochester), and my classmate Brad Jones (Blackhawk) were all Beaver County stars back in the day. There just isn't a lot of D1 talent these days (there was the kid from Beaver Falls a year or two ago though - Jeter?) and Aliquippa traditionally has their 4* DB in nearly every class.

KJ Hamler is DeSean Jackson, if he does not return punts at some point for PSU after his presumed redshirt this year i would be utterly shocked and it would be a good thing I guess because someone is doing that good at it. KJ went my alma mater in Michigan and he is the best punt returner I have ever seen in Michigan HS football.

Looks like Penn State and their walk-on filled special teams of a couple of years ago!

Why did versatile 4-star Jordan Miner pick Penn State, and how does he compare to a NFL corner?
Updated on July 20, 2017 at 5:22 PM Posted on July 20, 2017 at 1:00 PM
23102851-mmmain.jpg

Tampa, Fla., corner Jordan Miner.(Photo courtesy Sean Fitz/Lions247 and 247Sports)

270 shares
By
Greg Pickel

gpickel@pennlive.com

Mark Kantor had heard of Jordan Miner when he arrived at Wiregrass Ranch to be its head coach back in January 2015, but he couldn't have known how gifted the cornerback was, or is, back then.

He also probably didn't realize that Miner, who stands 6-foot-1, 177 pounds and verbally committed to Penn State this month, would in some way so closely resemble a super talent that Kantor coached at a previous stop.

"I didn't know the type of player that he was, until I got the opportunity to coach him, and as we watched him grow and develop, I'll never forget it," Kantor began.

"We're playing [Plant High, a fellow Tampa-based program) down there, my first year [at Wiregrass Ranch], and the defensive back coach I have, he coached with me when I was at assistant at Wharton High, and he was getting on Jordan for not playing a proper technique and Jordan got really upset. He was gonna take him out, and I said, 'no no no, look who he reminds you of.'"

The answer turned out to be a start at Florida and now plays for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers after he was picked at No. 11 by the franchise in the 2016 NFL Draft.

"We had a wonderful opportunity to coach Vernon Hargreaves, and those type of actions, he reminded me of Vernon. He showed his versatility and his dependability and his want to, and him wanting to carry his team on his back, that's what Jordan is."

"We're gonna support you 1000 percent wherever you go. We talked about what he majors in sports management, they offer a great sports management degree, and he liked the atmosphere, he liked the people, he felt it was home, so Penn State became a frontrunner."

Then it became his future home, and he's already put his recruiter skills to use, as the Lions recently picked up a commitment from another Tampa prospect, Plant High three-star defensive tackle Judge Culpepper.

They're both apart of Penn State's 20-member Class of 2018 that will continue to look to add pieces this summer and fall.

Ohio State's Eleven Warriors site:

Four-star defensive end Jayson Oweh has surged up Ohio State's board, and if Larry Johnson had his way, the 6-foot-5, 236-pounder would already be a part of what's going to be a stellar defensive line haul. We've talked before about the ridiculous potential, and the New Jersey product is coming off of a visit to Penn State for their biggest summer event. The country's No. 7 defensive end has been putting on a show all summer, and it's no surprise that he did the same in Happy Valley.

A decision is expected to come any time following this week's trips to both South Bend and Columbus. A week ago, Ohio State was out in front, but it sounds as though Penn State may be back on top. It seems more likely that Oweh will take some time to digest everything rather than announcing something this weekend, but you really never know.

It really depends on his position. He's been working out at MLB at some camps. If he wanted to play there his freshman year, he would certainly be right in the battle with Brooks. I like him as an OLB that you can send a whole of different ways on blitz, almost the majority of downs. Eventually ending up at OLB in a 3-4 in the league. He is so crazy athletic that anything is possible with him. I don't think he'd step in and be given a starting job, I doubt he could even win one in camp, it would have to be on te field. I think he would slot well into that Farmer role, what Bell did last year.

The most Michigan thing ever. They have one verbal in their 2019 class.

BakkerUSMC
picture-195608.jpg

MGoPoints: 545

Crouch / Cain
I'd be ecstatic if we landed either RB, both look tremendous. 2019 recruiting is looking like an all-time best recruiting class already.

BassDude138
picture-174829.png

MGoPoints: 1690

The amount of top level players with serious interest in Michigan at this early stage in the 2019 cycle absolutely looks like it will end up better.

Guy Fawkes
picture-195548.jpg

MGoPoints: 857

You must not be following along. The overall outlook for 2019 is crazy. Michigan literally could be looking at 10+ Top 100 guys. Anywhere from 2-4 5 stars with legitimate interest. Take a gander at whos attending the BBQ

Great return. However. I watched that return about five times. It looks like the punting team just woke up at 3 am and had no clue where they were.

There is a very strong chance Pitt does not end up with a RB in the 2018 class. If they do, it will be some sort of late addition. They were 100% focused on Coleton Beck who was at UNC and Louisville this week. He will most likely end up at one of these schools.

Oweh was at Notre Dame earlier in the week, too. This weekend is OSU's big Lasch Bash type of recruiting event. If the weekend comes and goes without Oweh pulling the trigger for OSU (I don't think Parsons is anywhere close to committing yet) I like where we sit.

Anything can happen of course, but Oweh recently said:

"I'm trying to decide probably late August, but if not Ill wait a little later," Oweh said. "That's not definite yet, so I don't know. But I'm trying for like August."

Oweh was at Notre Dame earlier in the week, too. This weekend is OSU's big Lasch Bash type of recruiting event. If the weekend comes and goes without Oweh pulling the trigger for OSU (I don't think Parsons is anywhere close to committing yet) I like where we sit.

I've long thought that PSU gets both of these guys or neither of these guys. Still feel the same.

From OSU board:

TOP 2018 B1G COMMITTED OFFENSIVE PLAYERS
POS. PLAYER 247 COMP. POS RK SCHOOL OSU'S TOP COMMIT / OFFER

DUAL
EMORY JONES 981 2 OHIO STATE
PRO JOE MILTON 928 9 MICHIGAN

APB RICKY SLADE 983 1 PENN STATE
RB BRIAN SNEAD 957 4 OHIO STATE

WR JUSTIN SHORTER 977 6 PENN STATE

TE ZACK KUNTZ 954 3 PENN STATE

C WILL FARNIOK 835 16 NEBRASKA
OG MATTHEW JONES 967 3 OHIO STATE
OT NANU ASIEDU 968 5 PENN STATE

Reactions: Cosmos
Do you really think Meyer or an associate pays these people to write such vile things? That's awfully low. Is Urb that bad?

These coaches don't have the time nor do they need to pay trolls. It's a big empty reach IMO.

I would bet money that this guy was being paid to promote Ohio State football to recruits. Whether or not he was instructed to negatively recruit vs PSU with all the references to Joe as Jerry's enabler at Ped State, that's hard to say. Sure seemed intent on creating a stigma about us, though.

Can you prove someone is paying him? There are PSU fans trashing OSU, Pitt, and other schools on social media....are they on a payroll?

I'm with you on the pay for trolls theory. It's just silly.

Paying people to maintain pro-OSU or PSU or whatever school twitter accounts and to 'show love' to recruits is absolutely not silly. If it's within NCAA rules, and I'm pretty sure it is, probably a good way to spend some of your marketing/recruiting budget. My guess is most people who are fans of schools would do it for free though.

That is not the key. They become an agent of the school / coach when they accept payment.
Finally googled "Urban Meyer" and "social media." This should end the debate and help everyone understand what we're up against.

Ohio State football: A deep dive into the expensive expansion of the Buckeyes recruiting department explains dominance
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/06/ohio_state_buckeyes_football_i_1.html
OSU coach Urban Meyer has said recruiting is the "lifeblood of this program" a million times. He'll say it again the next time there's a microphone in his face. But now Ohio State is putting money where Meyer's mouth is by investing what will be millions of dollars the next few years. ...

Meyer has the reputation as one of most demanding coaches in college football, but even Meyer understands there are limits to what one person can do. So Ohio State invested in its recruiting department.

What was once a two-man recruiting staff of Pantoni and Greg Gillum in 2012 is now a 10-person staff. This has turned into an NFL-like operation.

Great recruiting leads to winning -- this, somehow, used to be a debate -- and Pantoni is pulling the strings. This GM can't draft players or sign free agents, but Pantoni can recruit. Now he has help.

The most recent addition came Sunday when Andre Robinson was hired as an assistant director of new and creative media.

The nine others, including Pantoni, earn salaries that add up to a combined $617,213.98, according to employment information obtained by cleveland.com. ...

"We're having tremendous recruiting success," Meyer said, "but we aren't doing it without that staff."

Seven years ago when Jim Tressel was the coach and Meyer was at Florida, the recruiting coordinator position was just assigned to one of the nine assistants. For Tressel, it used to be tight ends coach John Peterson.

Now you have GM Pantoni -- who has his fingers in everything from prospect communication to coaches' travel to visit itineraries to film breakdown -- and an entire team dedicated to film breakdown, videos, graphics, marketing and social media.

The recruiting department quadrupled in people and payouts.

Athletic director Gene Smith didn't even hesitate to pay up.

"You can have the greatest head coach and the greatest coordinator, but you know the old saying: 'Great players make great coaches,'" Smith said. "Understanding what was happening nationally, understanding just the way it's changing and the way young people pay attention, it was critical for us to have those people. ... I think it's important for us to look at where we are, see the future and put in place the infrastructure to support it."

Yes, Clemson has a top-notch creative team (from which Ohio State has learned); Michigan's Jim Harbaugh is pushing the limits with satellite camps, sleepovers and trips to Rome; and Alabama has more analysts than NASA. But this financial investment isn't the norm. Ohio State is pushing limits.

With its new staff, Ohio State's recruiting department has four points of emphasis. You can jump to later sections of the story by clicking the links below or you can just scroll through.

1. The staff breaks down film of every play of a prospect's career
2. The staff puts out more than 500 graphics and videos per week on social media, which advances strategic marketing
3. The staff still emphasizes traditional on-campus visits and the personal touch
4. The staff drives home that OSU's program is about life after football​

2. The staff puts out more than 500 graphics and videos per week on social media, which advances strategic marketing

If Pantoni wanted a recruiting graphic three years ago, he would have had to send an email to one of the three sports designers employed by the university. Their offices were not in the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, but on the other side of Olentangy River Road in the Fawcett Center. He'd get them whenever they had time. There were only three designers for all 36 sports.

Three years ago, there was no official Ohio State Football Twitter account. There were no videos. There were no graphics tailored to specific recruits. There was no marketing.

This is the area that's undergone the most change.

Now Ohio State football has an entire squad of smart, creative, ambitious and talented videographers and designers. The three names you have to know are Zach Swartz, Sammy Silverman and Kenton Stufflebeam.

"The area that's just changed so much is the creativity beast," Meyer said. "I would be disappointed if we aren't the best in the country now. We definitely weren't a couple years ago."

Ohio State has a marketing plan for everything. Take Friday's career fair in Ohio Stadium for example: Swartz was walking around with a video camera recording players talking to employers and interviewing people to discuss how helpful the program is for life after football.

What do you think that turned into? A SnapChat story and a marketing video posted on Twitter.

Everything this graphics team does has a plan -- a constant, relentless and thorough sales pitch for Ohio State.

Silverman and Stufflebeam have had an endless supply of mind-bending concepts that nobody on Ohio State's staff -- not even Meyer or Pantoni -- could draft. Swartz, Stufflebeam and Silverman also interact with the coaching staff to get a better idea of how to personalize graphics for players.

There's an entire database dedicated to organizing information ranging from what career a player wants, to his favorite music or color. No detail gets left behind.

"When it comes to our personalized graphics, we don't always just want to send a kid a picture of him wearing an Ohio State jersey and holding a Heisman," Swartz said. "We want to really individualize these graphics and cater to exactly what they like. It's personal. We want to get to know them. If a kid wants to be a cop one day, we want to know that and build a graphic around it."

For example, taking the album cover from the latest hip-hop album and turning it into a recruiting graphic. You may not get it, but prospects do.

Or how about selling Ohio State's NFL Draft success? Check out what they made for cornerback commit Sevyn Banks:

That's just one of the thousands of graphics these guys are releasing every month.

"It's invaluable," Pantoni said. "Kids are visual. ... The video, the graphics is what really gets their attention.

"What do they do all day? The same thing we do: Stare at their phones and social media. A lot of this stuff is really powerful. Some of those videos capture what words can't, what we can't describe."

Last edited:
Reactions: hereforthebeer
Finally googled "Urban Meyer" and "social media." This should end the debate and help everyone understand what we're up against.

Ohio State football: A deep dive into the expensive expansion of the Buckeyes recruiting department explains dominance
http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2017/06/ohio_state_buckeyes_football_i_1.html
OSU coach Urban Meyer has said recruiting is the "lifeblood of this program" a million times. He'll say it again the next time there's a microphone in his face. But now Ohio State is putting money where Meyer's mouth is by investing what will be millions of dollars the next few years. ...

Meyer has the reputation as one of most demanding coaches in college football, but even Meyer understands there are limits to what one person can do. So Ohio State invested in its recruiting department.

What was once a two-man recruiting staff of Pantoni and Greg Gillum in 2012 is now a 10-person staff. This has turned into an NFL-like operation.

Great recruiting leads to winning -- this, somehow, used to be a debate -- and Pantoni is pulling the strings. This GM can't draft players or sign free agents, but Pantoni can recruit. Now he has help.

The most recent addition came Sunday when Andre Robinson was hired as an assistant director of new and creative media.

The nine others, including Pantoni, earn salaries that add up to a combined $617,213.98, according to employment information obtained by cleveland.com. ...

"We're having tremendous recruiting success," Meyer said, "but we aren't doing it without that staff."

Seven years ago when Jim Tressel was the coach and Meyer was at Florida, the recruiting coordinator position was just assigned to one of the nine assistants. For Tressel, it used to be tight ends coach John Peterson.

Now you have GM Pantoni -- who has his fingers in everything from prospect communication to coaches' travel to visit itineraries to film breakdown -- and an entire team dedicated to film breakdown, videos, graphics, marketing and social media.

The recruiting department quadrupled in people and payouts.

Athletic director Gene Smith didn't even hesitate to pay up.

"You can have the greatest head coach and the greatest coordinator, but you know the old saying: 'Great players make great coaches,'" Smith said. "Understanding what was happening nationally, understanding just the way it's changing and the way young people pay attention, it was critical for us to have those people. ... I think it's important for us to look at where we are, see the future and put in place the infrastructure to support it."

Yes, Clemson has a top-notch creative team (from which Ohio State has learned); Michigan's Jim Harbaugh is pushing the limits with satellite camps, sleepovers and trips to Rome; and Alabama has more analysts than NASA. But this financial investment isn't the norm. Ohio State is pushing limits.

With its new staff, Ohio State's recruiting department has four points of emphasis. You can jump to later sections of the story by clicking the links below or you can just scroll through.

1. The staff breaks down film of every play of a prospect's career
3. The staff still emphasizes traditional on-campus visits and the personal touch
4. The staff drives home that OSU's program is about life after football​

If Pantoni wanted a recruiting graphic three years ago, he would have had to send an email to one of the three sports designers employed by the university. Their offices were not in the Woody Hayes Athletic Center, but on the other side of Olentangy River Road in the Fawcett Center. He'd get them whenever they had time. There were only three designers for all 36 sports.

Three years ago, there was no official Ohio State Football Twitter account. There were no videos. There were no graphics tailored to specific recruits. There was no marketing.

This is the area that's undergone the most change.

Now Ohio State football has an entire squad of smart, creative, ambitious and talented videographers and designers. The three names you have to know are Zach Swartz, Sammy Silverman and Kenton Stufflebeam.

"The area that's just changed so much is the creativity beast," Meyer said. "I would be disappointed if we aren't the best in the country now. We definitely weren't a couple years ago."

Ohio State has a marketing plan for everything. Take Friday's career fair in Ohio Stadium for example: Swartz was walking around with a video camera recording players talking to employers and interviewing people to discuss how helpful the program is for life after football.

What do you think that turned into? A SnapChat story and a marketing video posted on Twitter.

Everything this graphics team does has a plan -- a constant, relentless and thorough sales pitch for Ohio State.

Silverman and Stufflebeam have had an endless supply of mind-bending concepts that nobody on Ohio State's staff -- not even Meyer or Pantoni -- could draft. Swartz, Stufflebeam and Silverman also interact with the coaching staff to get a better idea of how to personalize graphics for players.

There's an entire database dedicated to organizing information ranging from what career a player wants, to his favorite music or color. No detail gets left behind.

"When it comes to our personalized graphics, we don't always just want to send a kid a picture of him wearing an Ohio State jersey and holding a Heisman," Swartz said. "We want to really individualize these graphics and cater to exactly what they like. It's personal. We want to get to know them. If a kid wants to be a cop one day, we want to know that and build a graphic around it."

For example, taking the album cover from the latest hip-hop album and turning it into a recruiting graphic. You may not get it, but prospects do.

Or how about selling Ohio State's NFL Draft success? Check out what they made for cornerback commit Sevyn Banks:

That's just one of the thousands of graphics these guys are releasing every month.

"It's invaluable," Pantoni said. "Kids are visual. ... The video, the graphics is what really gets their attention.

"What do they do all day? The same thing we do: Stare at their phones and social media. A lot of this stuff is really powerful. Some of those videos capture what words can't, what we can't describe."
Ok, so what.

Meyer and his guys aren't bending the rules on this, and he's got guys like Schiano with reputations for being great recruiters. I don't know what he's paying Schiano, but I imagine that he is one expensive assistant coach. And it's all paying off.

You have to give him credit.

The fact that Schiano is spending so much time with Oweh's mother tells me that the kid wants to go there, and mom needs to be convinced. I suspect they get him.

Meyer and his guys aren't bending the rules on this, and he's got guys like Schiano with reputations for being great recruiters. I don't know what he's paying Schiano, but I imagine that he is one expensive assistant coach. And it's all paying off.

You have to give him credit.

The fact that Schiano is spending so much time with Oweh's mother tells me that the kid wants to go there, and mom needs to be convinced. I suspect they get him.
Oweh's parents are well educated. I think O$U will be a tough sell for them. Sure, they have improved from their like 40% black athlete grad rate from earlier this decade but their culture is not academics and student athletes. According to one former Buckeye it was "win rings, f#$% b#$%^$, and get paid". According to another more recent Buckeye, he "ain't come here to play school". Not sure any amount of manipulating statistics will do anything but put lipstick on that pig.

But if Oweh wants an education at Ohio State, he'll get one, and it will be a good one. Schiano's job is to convince mom that the team won't hamper that effort. I realize that is a backwards way of going about it, but it could well be the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT