ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Recruiting Thread

Getting the sense the kid is Ohio State bound, even reading his comments after he left the Lasch Bash last week.

Well they put a ton of kids in the league and have LJ who is very formidable when recruiting. I still think it's positive he did not pull the trigger during his visit though. Just get him on campus for say the Michigan game and let the experience do the talking.

Getting the sense the kid is Ohio State bound, even reading his comments after he left the Lasch Bash last week.
In case anyone is interested, Eleven Warriors early take on OSU's Friday Night Lights event last weekend.

Relevant stuff about PSU targets:

Instead, it was the one-on-one drills that involved West Virginia four-star offensive tackle Doug Nester — who was my pick to commit this evening — Cincinnati offensive guard Zeke Correll, defensive end commit Brenton Cox, Pennsylvania defensive end target Micah Parsons and New Jersey defensive end target Jayson Oweh.

All five continuously showed why they're among the staff's top targets at their respective positions for the 2018 and 2019 classes. ... Parsons, who actually tried his hand on the offensive side of the ball, was also as good as advertised.

Oweh, who is still relatively new to the game of football after playing only eight games as a junior, flashed the potential of a future all-American. He's also quick off the snap, and his length and overall frame will make him disruptive off the edge. He's still raw in terms of technique, but the extra attention he received from defensive line coach Larry Johnson will have that straightened out in no time.
Interesting seeing Parsons playing on offense. Have heard discussion that the Buckeyes are recruiting him solely as a DE. I think Oweh may be a battle to the very end...meaning February 2018. Even if he commits to one of the schools in the next couple of months, I don't think that will be the end of it, but just the beginning.

Reactions: TheGLOV
In case anyone is interested, Eleven Warriors early take on OSU's Friday Night Lights event last weekend.

Relevant stuff about PSU targets:

Instead, it was the one-on-one drills that involved West Virginia four-star offensive tackle Doug Nester — who was my pick to commit this evening — Cincinnati offensive guard Zeke Correll, defensive end commit Brenton Cox, Pennsylvania defensive end target Micah Parsons and New Jersey defensive end target Jayson Oweh.

All five continuously showed why they're among the staff's top targets at their respective positions for the 2018 and 2019 classes. ... Parsons, who actually tried his hand on the offensive side of the ball, was also as good as advertised.

Oweh, who is still relatively new to the game of football after playing only eight games as a junior, flashed the potential of a future all-American. He's also quick off the snap, and his length and overall frame will make him disruptive off the edge. He's still raw in terms of technique, but the extra attention he received from defensive line coach Larry Johnson will have that straightened out in no time.
Interesting seeing Parsons playing on offense. Have heard discussion that the Buckeyes are recruiting him solely as a DE. I think Oweh may be a battle to the very end...meaning February 2018. Even if he commits to one of the schools in the next couple of months, I don't think that will be the end of it, but just the beginning.

Urban will tell him what he wants to hear about playing on both sides of the ball with no intention of it ever happening. Keep in mind this is a guy who told a recruit he had a dream that God wanted the kid to play at Florida.

Disagree. I think if Oweh wanted to play that game, he would have committed to PSU months ago.
Just to be clear, I'm not suggesting that Oweh would be playing any games with his recruitment, but that he seems genuinely conflicted between PSU and OSU. Assuming he verbally commits in the next couple of months, I assume he will pick whichever school he thinks is best. However, I don't think that will stop the other school from continuing to recruit him. That may not matter if he is comfortable and firm with his choice. But teenagers (and many adults) can have second thoughts in the best of circumstances, so I think he could (operative word "could") be in play right up to signing day.

Urban will tell him what he wants to hear about playing on both sides of the ball with no intention of it ever happening. Keep in mind this is a guy who told a recruit he had a dream that God wanted the kid to play at Florida.
You're saying Urban doesn't have a direct connection with the Almighty??!? Hmmm....

As for Parsons, I'm just going on second hand discussions I've heard on recruiting boards that OSU is the only school recruiting him that has firmly said he would be defense only. Maybe Urban is rethinking that (whether he's serious about it or not), or it was just an inconsequential summer camp thing. Not sure, but thought it was interesting.

Let's hope he gets this one wrong!
Not saying he's wrong, but generally there are alot of crystal balls submitted before a visit or a schools "big event" just in case. Sometimes these people are more into playing the game and being competitive about crystal balls than anything else. There were a ton of crystal balls for PSU last week. Some players committed, some didn't. Chances are, oweh wasn't going to commit to PSU while he was at OSU, so why not throw out a crystal ball for OSU and see if you get lucky.

There's also that fact that (generally speaking) Ohio State gets the majority of kids they really want. If they've decided they really want Oweh then makes sense for people to log a crystal ball pick.

I think we're at least 50/50 still with him though. Columbus isn't far from Jersey by any stretch but State College is a whole lot closer - in addition to a host of reasons why he may like Penn State better. Sure there's plenty of reasons for him to pick OSU too - never know what's most important in his decision but the recent crystal balls aren't a huge red flag to me yet.

There's also that fact that (generally speaking) Ohio State gets the majority of kids they really want. If they've decided they really want Oweh then makes sense for people to log a crystal ball pick.

I think we're at least 50/50 still with him though. Columbus isn't far from Jersey by any stretch but State College is a whole lot closer - in addition to a host of reasons why he may like Penn State better. Sure there's plenty of reasons for him to pick OSU too - never know what's most important in his decision but the recent crystal balls aren't a huge red flag to me yet.

Hopefully, he likes the color blue better than red.

We sit with 5 star Shane Simmons, 4 star (should have been 5 star) Yetur Matos, and the guy who has gotten the most hype of anyone this offseason (besides JJ) Shaka Toney on our DE depth chart, all of them with 4 seasons of eligibility left.

So while I want to win any and all recruiting battles with Ohio State, let's not go overboard doom and gloom no matter what happens.

LJ has won this round. Recruits like this, are the reason that Meyer brought him on board.

It doesn't make or break us. Ohio State still can only play two defensive ends at a time. They can only play two defensive tackles at a time. The rest of them just sit. So long as the guys we have are effective, it's an even sum game. They will have more of the big guys than us, but still, only a few can play at the same time. It's still 11 v 11.

Not saying he's wrong, but generally there are alot of crystal balls submitted before a visit or a schools "big event" just in case. Sometimes these people are more into playing the game and being competitive about crystal balls than anything else. There were a ton of crystal balls for PSU last week. Some players committed, some didn't. Chances are, oweh wasn't going to commit to PSU while he was at OSU, so why not throw out a crystal ball for OSU and see if you get lucky.
How do these crystal balls work? I know there are some that talk to the high school coach, the recruit, perhaps other contacts like friends/family, or maybe even connections within the football program, but are others just reading what is publicly available, looking at where they visit and how many times, and making a guess?

LJ has won this round. Recruits like this, are the reason that Meyer brought him on board.

It doesn't make or break us. Ohio State still can only play two defensive ends at a time. They can only play two defensive tackles at a time. The rest of them just sit. So long as the guys we have are effective, it's an even sum game. They will have more of the big guys than us, but still, only a few can play at the same time. It's still 11 v 11.

How?? Nothing official as of yet?

Not so fast my friend!

We sit with 5 star Shane Simmons, 4 star (should have been 5 star) Yetur Matos, and the guy who has gotten the most hype of anyone this offseason (besides JJ) Shaka Toney on our DE depth chart, all of them with 4 seasons of eligibility left.

So while I want to win any and all recruiting battles with Ohio State, let's not go overboard doom and gloom no matter what happens.

I was very excited when we got Matos.

I think he is going to be a really good player for us!!

Phil said he doubts that Oweh, T. Smith, and Parsons would all wind up at the same school. Does this mean Parsons will recommit to PSU?

How do these crystal balls work? I know there are some that talk to the high school coach, the recruit, perhaps other contacts like friends/family, or maybe even connections within the football program, but are others just reading what is publicly available, looking at where they visit and how many times, and making a guess?
Crystal balls only matter if they are by Sean Fitz or Wiltfong when it comes to PSU. That is pretty much it...everyone else piggy backs off of them. Alex Gleitman has a good pulse for OSU and they felt good the other night for Oweh, but sometimes the visit high can wear off. It's down to 2 teams there...we'll just have to see where he ends up as nobody is positive just yet.

Crystal balls only matter if they are by Sean Fitz or Wiltfong when it comes to PSU. That is pretty much it...everyone else piggy backs off of them. Alex Gleitman has a good pulse for OSU and they felt good the other night for Oweh, but sometimes the visit high can wear off. It's down to 2 teams there...we'll just have to see where he ends up as nobody is positive just yet.

Correct sir!

Collect $200 and keep your get-out-of-jail card!

:eek:;);):eek:

You're saying Urban doesn't have a direct connection with the Almighty??!? Hmmm....

As for Parsons, I'm just going on second hand discussions I've heard on recruiting boards that OSU is the only school recruiting him that has firmly said he would be defense only. Maybe Urban is rethinking that (whether he's serious about it or not), or it was just an inconsequential summer camp thing. Not sure, but thought it was interesting.
t

OSU letting Parsons play both ways is definitely a recent change in direction in their part. Multiple articles said they were not going to get involved in that, but they clearly are letting him know they will let him play some O.

Rivals shows Penn State with no 5-stars. They don't have Slade or Shorter as 5-stars?

Rivals currently has Slade as #67 overall and 4 stars, and Shorter as #83 overall and 4 stars. Without looking, I'm fairly sure that Rivals is the only service who doesn't have them as 5 stars, and that Rivals has them rated lower than any other service.

Rivals currently has Slade as #67 overall and 4 stars, and Shorter as #83 overall and 4 stars. Without looking, I'm fairly sure that Rivals is the only service who doesn't have them as 5 stars, and that Rivals has them rated lower than any other service.

Thanks. Rivals is missing the boat on these two.

Nothing but losers on this board, as soon as a recruit says one thing about another school everyone wants to jump off the bridge, get a life people no one has verballed to anyone, GEEZ!!!!!

Nothing but losers on this board, as soon as a recruit says one thing about another school everyone wants to jump off the bridge, get a life people no one has verballed to anyone, GEEZ!!!!!
Are you still on the edge of your seat hopefully awaiting a Parsons recommit?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT