ADVERTISEMENT

1st Annual LemonPie NCAA Tournament Challenge

LemonPie

Jan 2, 2016
EDIT: Scoreboard is up and running. Expect live updates! Follow @lemonsandpie for more updates

hQrqrta.png

Select ONE roster from EACH of the following images for a total of THREE selections

Three valid selections = One valid entry

9e7Mahh.png

U7NaqM1.png

UPDATE: MILHOF SCRATCHED
xHe7F4B.png

EDIT: Milhoff is a scratch! Team Guerrero (1 entry) and Team Oliver (zero entries) are affected. They will be replaced with Sean Fausz. Fausz will also remain on Fried and Perry. Feel free to change your picks! just make sure to repost!

Rules to follow

Last edited:
Ditch that same “salary cap” tournament challenge you’ve been playing the last decade. Or just play this one as well. It’s free to enter.

The Rules:

There are a total of 60 pre-determined “teams.” Each team is made up of 10 wrestlers - 1 from each weight class - with various seeding totals that add up to 155. (avg. seed of 15.5).

· 20 teams from the Penn State delegation (Seeds 1-5; 26-30)

· 20 teams from the Iowa delegation (Seeds 6-10; 21-25)

· 20 teams from the Oklahoma state delegation (Seeds 11-20)

Each wrestler (seeded 1-30) is made available for exactly two teams. For example, Spencer Lee is the 125-pound representative for both the “DT” and “Abe” teams

Team rosters are available in the individual sheets. Screenshot images were also posted to @lemonsandpie twitter.

After studying rosters, you will select ONE team from EACH delegation for a total of three selections. Each team is fronted by a current coach or legacy member.

Your Entry: 3 team selections = 1 entry

Valid Entry Examples:

a) Cael, Morningstar, Hendricks

b) Metcalf/Oliver/Molinaro

c) Rosholt-Prescott-Ironside

Invalid Entry Examples:

a) Ruth, Zain, Ramos

b) Thompson, Clark

c) McIntosh

Your overall product will consist of

· 30 wrestlers

o 1 wrestler of each seed 1 through 30 (sorry Joe Smith fans!)

o 3 wrestlers in each of 10 weight classes

How to win: The team with the most combined individual points (NCAA tournament scoring) will be crowned the winner

Tiebreak criteria

a) Least points via MFF or Injury Default

b) Least All-Americans

c) Least Champions

d) Follows @lemonsandpie (kidding)

How to Enter: If I can find your entry and it’s valid, Ill add it. Mention @lemonsandpie in reply. DM me. Use #LPBracketChallenge (I will actually look). Might be a thread on the BWI as well. I will add you in the doc ASAP.

Entry Deadline: Wednesday, March 20th, 11PM ET

Minimum-20 entries (Retweet!); Max- 200

Please have some class and refrain from using burner accounts to post multiple entries.

8,000 unique entries are possible, so duplicate entries should be rare. Of course, some teams will be more popular than others, but still relying on overall balance to prevent duplicate entries. In the case of a duplicate entry, it is first come, first served. The 2nd person will be contacted and asked to submit a different entry. Check the doc to see list of entries already taken. PSU teams will be listed alphabetically and filter from there. CTRL+F to help search/filter

Prizes:

1st place- $100; 2nd place- $50

The least popular entry (determined by total team selections) will be announced before the tournament and will receive auto $20 + 50% increase in prize potential

Prize options- Venmo, PayPal, Amazon Gift Card, Donation to favorite wrestling club/organization

Features:

Leaderboard + Ranking

The doc is already loaded. Point totals + number of wrestlers remaining will be updated throughout

“But I want to build my whole team!”

Don’t be such a baby. Study each roster, weigh the good and bad, make a freakin’ decision and live with the consequences! Diverse rosters make for a better product. Everyone picking Nolf as their 1 and Zahid as their 3 makes for a boring challenge.

“This seems too complicated”

It’s really not. Just keep returning to the document and check for updates. The link will be pinned on my twitter account (@lemonsandpie). Print out your team lists if you like. Don’t make me a failure. THIS WILL BE BETTER THAN “SALARY CAP” CHALLENGE.

SCRATCH CONTINGENCY PLAN

For the 2019 tournament, wrestlers can be scratched up to the point of weigh-ins. In this scenario, seeds between the scratched wrestler and seed 28 would all move up a seed. Re-seeding would have a tremendous impact on this contest. It would not be fair to change all the seeds/teams. Here is the contingency plan in place.

In the case of a scratch (before weigh-ins), the scratched wrestler would be replaced by the seed above him.

This means that a wrestler (scratched wrestler + 1) would represent 4 of 20 teams instead of the normal 2 of 20

Entries with a scratched wrestler would have opportunity to keep the modified entry or select a new one

Scratch exception: Teams with a wrestler who misses weight will be scored a 0 for the tournament

Hypothetical Example

Zeke Moisey- 19 seed- SCRATCHED

Though seeds 20-28 would all move up in seed, the teams with those wrestlers would remain unaffected

Replacing Zeke Moisey on teams “Scott” and “Thompson” would be the newest no. 19 seed (former no 20)—Alex Mackall. Mackall would remain the representative for “Sheets” and “Rosholt” as well.

Entries with “Scott” or “Thompson” as their OSU representative would be offered an opportunity to re-submit an entry. Or they could accept their modified roster.

PRAY FOR NO SCRATCHES

AN ENTRY TO THIS CONTEST IS AN AGREEMENT OF THESE TERMS

Last edited:
Great idea LP. Especially love the part about naming the other teams.

I like that you added additional teams and made each wrestler appear on two lists; otherwise you'd probably have received more than a few duplicate entries.

Abe DSJ Fried

Reactions: LemonPie
TEAM ABE IS SO HOT RIGHT NOW.

Definitely not getting that auto $20
Lots of value there w/ three plausible finalists. Quincy Monday I saw this year in person and he's a threat to have a big weekend. And Sam Stoll riding shotgun.

Lemon? So your final score is the final score of all 30 wrestlers? Or is the final score of your best wrestler at each weight? I believe I read above that is the total score of all 30 and want to make sure.

When I put my team together I was trying to get a good guy at each weight so I’d have 10 good weights. Wasn’t looking at some of the lesser guys.

Lemon? So your final score is the final score of all 30 wrestlers? Or is the final score of your best wrestler at each weight? I believe I read above that is the total score of all 30 and want to make sure.

When I put my team together I was trying to get a good guy at each weight so I’d have 10 good weights. Wasn’t looking at some of the lesser guys.

Yep, you got it. Cumulative score of 30 wrestlers. 1 per each seed and 3 per weight. Looking at how you want to attack each weight class is probably a good strategy!

Reactions: pish69
Chertow, Metcalf, Uetake

Thx LP! This must’ve taken a ton of effort to put together.

Last edited:
This contest is so cool and unique. Gonna really have to analyze this more. I feel like I have major holes at 133, 141 and 157 (non AAs or low end at best)

To fill those holes, I have to give up a champ or 2. Really cool concept, love it.

I know it’s early and I’m sure we’ll have a lot more entries, but does anyone feel they have 10 AAs and 2-3 champs? I feel good about 3 champs, but not loving the holes in my lineup

Lemon you outdid yourself with this one..kudos

This contest is so cool and unique. Gonna really have to analyze this more. I feel like I have major holes at 133, 141 and 157 (non AAs or low end at best)

To fill those holes, I have to give up a champ or 2. Really cool concept, love it.

I know it’s early and I’m sure we’ll have a lot more entries, but does anyone feel they have 10 AAs and 2-3 champs? I feel good about 3 champs, but not loving the holes in my lineup

Lemon you outdid yourself with this one..kudos

Thanks man! We'll see. Might not be the worst to avoid 133 altogether. I mean, some dudes will score major points, but who?!

8 AAs per weight in a bracket of 33, so I imagine 10 out of 30 would be great!

Im anxious to see the scoring distribution.

Reactions: pish69
Thanks man! We'll see. Might not be the worst to avoid 133 altogether. I mean, some dudes will score major points, but who?!

8 AAs per weight in a bracket of 33, so I imagine 10 out of 30 would be great!

Im anxious to see the scoring distribution.

Actually I keep thinking I need to have an AA at every weight, but with all 30 scoring I should have some weights with multiple AAs, so I should have 10 AAs even if a couple weights don’t AA.

Where is 21Guns. I wish he were here to let us know how many scoring wrestlers we need to win this!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT