ADVERTISEMENT

197 this year

Ferrari is the only guy that could even challenge AB. If the referees let Ferrari wrestle from his knees the whole match, he has a chance.

by the way, I hate guys that wrestle on their knees from neutral. It should be an instant stalling call.

So if AJ says to Brands, I want in but I didn't want to cut to 197, do you think Brands says no, especially with 2 brothers already in the fold?

Sure Iowa would get a bigger benefit at 197, and AJs ego may say no problem, I'll drop 25+ lbs to take on 3x'er and World gold Aaron Brooks, but the body will feel it, and sucking down just plain sucks. All the while Aaron looks ripped and ready up a weight.

You have to admit AJ at Heavy is a very interesting prospect. He will most likely be the most athletic, fast, and strong Heavy in the country up at 225ish. I don't see how Cassi can hang with him, and Cassar and Snyder say beware a smaller athletic heavyweight. Anyone who doesn't see AJ as an immediate top 4 heavy is kidding himself.

Points are points and AJ is still more points that Iowa needs IMO. He is still a long shot to get on the team, but if he does, strolling right on the the mat, and bullying Cassi around day one isn't an outrageous expectation.

In the nicest possible way, how would anyone draw that conclusion?

Who would he wrestle at Iowa that is good enough to be able to make any kind of legitimate comparison?

DT against Brooks, makes sense. DT against Cael, uh, yeah. Brooks against Cael, yep. DT against Snyder, absolutely. Brooks against Varner, yep. DT against Varner, totes. Snyder against Varner, makes sense. Oh, and Dake. Full feed Dake vs Brooks would be great to see. Brooks is the only non-Olympic medalist on that list, and it turns out he's pretty good, too.

Ferrari against...who, exactly?
Not to mention Morgan McIntosh…because you didn’t. Still the only guy to beat Snyder and Cox in college 👍

Not going to affect him at all.

He's doing REALLY well in the room when he comes in. Just an absolute freak in terms of athleticism and wrestling ability.
I'm not sure how to even respond to that. If you think being off 30 months won't effect him you need to check yourself. There are more than one 197 pounders who.can and will be at Ferrari. He's a poke

Reactions: Str8DBLz
You guys are joking right? Look, I don’t like the kid, don’t want him near the Hawks - but if the simple question is - how good is he after this layoff?

The answer is, he’s a freak, it hasn’t affected him much and he’s not far off from the true freshman national champ he was. I’m not coming here to say he’ll beat AB. Just saying that, when he does wrestle, he’ll be at, or very close, to the level we last him.
Nope I wasn’t joking .

My entire posting was

“Any idea who he is wrestling with in the room. I’d be curious for example how he is matching up against Cass.”

Now I guess you can read that and draw your own conclusions on what I meant when I posted it but i simply wanted to know your thoughts.

I picked Cass specifically because I think he would be one of the strongest competitors and it would interest me in knowing how that was going . Especially when you consider 197 vs heavyweight. I have zero idea who else is in the room nor was I implying anything other than what I asked.

I don’t bash other opinions for the fun of it, I rarely put down opponents and competitors and I try not to read into what is written cause often I misread what people meant.

Fwiw I find AJ to be a “freak” as well in fact I used those exact words over on the iowa boards .

If he cuts to 197 I for one can’t wait for the match, if he goes heavy weight I will look forward to the Steveson match .

And while it might not be a popular opinion come March he isn’t going to be close to where he was when he was a freshman national champ he will be better the question is how much better.

Then again what do I know I’m watching girls college volleyball at the moment and the stands are filled with people wearing funny colors . I miss the days of Russ Rose , glass , Courtney, Hancock etc .

So much for being succinct guess I broke the new posting rules again.

So if AJ says to Brands, I want in but I didn't want to cut to 197, do you think Brands says no, especially with 2 brothers already in the fold?

Sure Iowa would get a bigger benefit at 197, and AJs ego may say no problem, I'll drop 25+ lbs to take on 3x'er and World gold Aaron Brooks, but the body will feel it, and sucking down just plain sucks. All the while Aaron looks ripped and ready up a weight.

You have to admit AJ at Heavy is a very interesting prospect. He will most likely be the most athletic, fast, and strong Heavy in the country up at 225ish. I don't see how Cassi can hang with him, and Cassar and Snyder say beware a smaller athletic heavyweight. Anyone who doesn't see AJ as an immediate top 4 heavy is kidding himself.

Points are points and AJ is still more points that Iowa needs IMO. He is still a long shot to get on the team, but if he does, strolling right on the the mat, and bullying Cassi around day one isn't an outrageous expectation.
What if Steveson returns at heavy weight ?

What if Cass isn’t allowed back in ?

But In your hypothetical I think brands takes him where he can get him.

Nope I wasn’t joking .

My entire posting was

“Any idea who he is wrestling with in the room. I’d be curious for example how he is matching up against Cass.”

Now I guess you can read that and draw your own conclusions on what I meant when I posted it but i simply wanted to know your thoughts.

I picked Cass specifically because I think he would be one of the strongest competitors and it would interest me in knowing how that was going . Especially when you consider 197 vs heavyweight. I have zero idea who else is in the room nor was I implying anything other than what I asked.

I don’t bash other opinions for the fun of it, I rarely put down opponents and competitors and I try not to read into what is written cause often I misread what people meant.

Fwiw I find AJ to be a “freak” as well in fact I used those exact words over on the iowa boards .

If he cuts to 197 I for one can’t wait for the match, if he goes heavy weight I will look forward to the Steveson match .

And while it might not be a popular opinion come March he isn’t going to be close to where he was when he was a freshman national champ he will be better the question is how much better.

Then again what do I know I’m watching girls college volleyball at the moment and the stands are filled with people wearing funny colors . I miss the days of Russ Rose , glass , Courtney, Hancock etc .

In fairness, when considering Ferrari vs. Cass, picture a Cassar vs. Cass analogy.
It wouldn’t be pretty.
Even if Cass not being a good measuring stick is what you are getting at, I stll think the comparison with Cassar (who had many a lengthy layoff) is reasonable. I don’t like it, but Ferrari would light up most heavies like Cassar did, likely to the tune of being a fnalist. IMO, of course.

Couldn’t agree more ..

Regardless of how long Ferrari hasn’t been wrestling he is a dangerous wild card that can’t be ignored. Could/should be a great match or set or matches to watch this year.

Can someone with more wrestling knowledge than me explain why a 5 foot 9 inch guy would have problems matching up against 6 footers. I’ve seen this argument a few times as a reason Ferrari and others would have an edge. Other than tie ups , I just don’t see a distinct advantage to the height in fact for me I kind of thought the opposite .
Against Brooks, I’m very comfortable ignoring Ferrari.

Are we over looking the talent at 197?

I know brooks is a monster atleast he has been at 184 and I do believe he transitions to 197 just fine. WILL it be his more natural weight. He wasn't cutting more than 10lbs ever to make 184.

The world medalist at 197, brooks (gold), Trumble (gold), Cardenas (bronze), Hidley (silver) could be 1 heck of a meat grinder bracket.

I KNOW Brooks is the favorite to win I'm just saying the weight is deep. Then add in Womanizer Ferrari once he announces he joined Iowa and the horses are big.
Can't question Brooks' skills and abilities; he was the total package at 84 and I can't imagine things will be much different at 97...though I am curious to see how he does against the taller/longer guys. And though Tanner Sloan isn't that much taller I'm curious to see if he can keep it close. In the end I like Brooks. So as much as I have to root against him because that's what we Iowa and Penn State fans do, I won't be too disappointed if becomes a 4-timer.

Iowa mystique??? That must count for something, right?

Please, please, please wrestling gods let AB vs AJ happen.
I'm hoping the wrestling gods give you what you're asking for; It'll definitely give the fans on both sides a match to look forward to...and God knows we're going to need a few more of those if this dual is going to be competitive. I'll feel better when/if AJ gets cleared to wrestle, and then there's the issue about his weight. Can he even get down to 97 again? We'll see...

Reactions: Bosox2004
Nope I wasn’t joking .

My entire posting was

But well-written with lots of paragraphs 😉

Ferrari hasn't competed in 30 months. That's a long time.

I don't think anyone has a good handle on what impact that is going to have.
Any reach problems Aaron may have will be more than made up for by his motor.

A lot of 197s fall off HARD in the 3rd. Aaron, like DT, wears people down the entire match and really, really exposes them late, if he's so inclined.
I’m in the camp that Ferrari will be relatively unaffected by the long lay off. Assuming he’s stayed in decent shape, don’t expect it will take long to knock of the rust and get his conditioning back. As others have stated, the bigger question is likely whether he can suck down to 197 and still be effective.

Regarding AB’s motor, agree overall, but a. couple times we’ve seen him expend a lot of energy early and then tire on the third period. So it’s not a given.

AJ looks every bit of 225 lbs to my eyes. You don't just cut 25 lbs off of a lean body and retain all of that muscle. I doubt there will be too much of a power difference between the two. Speed if fairly equal as well, but Brooks has a huge skill advantage. Throw in the typical Iowa results in the upper weights and surely that is worth a negative point or two. The only hope AJ has is to slow the match completely down and hope for a one exchange match. If he actually went out and tried to wrestle with Brooks he would get mauled, but he won't try that.

Ferrari is the only guy that could even challenge AB. If the referees let Ferrari wrestle from his knees the whole match, he has a chance.

by the way, I hate guys that wrestle on their knees from neutral. It should be an instant stalling call.
When I reffed, when a kid went to a knee from neutral, I would count to 2 in my head and give a stall warning if they didn't attack.

In fairness, when considering Ferrari vs. Cass, picture a Cassar vs. Cass analogy.
It wouldn’t be pretty.
Even if Cass not being a good measuring stick is what you are getting at, I stll think the comparison with Cassar (who had many a lengthy layoff) is reasonable. I don’t like it, but Ferrari would light up most heavies like Cassar did, likely to the tune of being a fnalist. IMO, of course.
Not at all what I was getting at. I’m just curious how they currently match up

if I can add to your analogy it’s not like Ferrari has been injured

Subtracting a bit I don’t think cassar would have excelled the year he beat gable twice had he been 197 and not bulked up to 235.

I’m still not sure how he beat gable in the semi-finals but I’m damn glad he did. Must be the Italian in me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Not at all what I was getting at. I’m just curious how they currently match up

if I can add to your analogy it’s not like Ferrari has been injured

Subtracting a bit I don’t think cassar would have excelled the year he beat gable twice had he been 197 and not bulked up to 235.

I’m still not sure how he beat gable in the finals but I’m damn glad he did. Must be the Italian in me.
Beat Bulk Job in the NCAA finals, no?

Reactions: Bosox2004
Against Brucki:
2nd period pin that happened so fast Brucki wasn't prepped for it

Against Moore:
1st period pin
Dominant 10-3 win where Moore just backpedaled
Bo locked a cradle in the 3rd and final match but was good just running the clock out at that point. Think he had another major at least if not pin if he went for it
Sorry to deviate, but the end of Bo’s 197 season was odd to me. He was on the “help them up” tour. His flattening of Moore and Buckeye fans was a thing of beauty. In the B10s, I was excited to see Bo do his thing against Moore again, but I recall Bo cruising to the 10-3 win - he could’ve teched him if he wanted. Then, at the NCAAs, they put Bo last, which speaks to the excitement they thought Bo would generate. But - and I’m wildly speculating - Bo seemed to not want to humble Moore and just casually picked up the title in a snoozer. After the match, I recall Bo saying he really was focused on the trials and then MMA. The NCAA finals was just like another workout for Bo.

BTW, who you got at 197 … Bo (senior year) vs. AB? I really don’t know. I think I’d go AB just because of his technical prowess, but how do you pick against Bo?

Sorry to deviate, but the end of Bo’s 197 season was odd to me. He was on the “help them up” tour. His flattening of Moore and Buckeye fans was a thing of beauty. In the B10s, I was excited to see Bo do his thing against Moore again, but I recall Bo cruising to the 10-3 win - he could’ve teched him if he wanted. Then, at the NCAAs, they put Bo last, which speaks to the excitement they thought Bo would generate. But - and I’m wildly speculating - Bo seemed to not want to humble Moore and just casually picked up the title in a snoozer. After the match, I recall Bo saying he really was focused on the trials and then MMA. The NCAA finals was just like another workout for Bo.

BTW, who you got at 197 … Bo (senior year) vs. AB? I really don’t know. I think I’d go AB just because of his technical prowess, but how do you pick against Bo?
That was a tough finals for me. My first in person national tournament and I wanted that title so bad for Marky against Zahid then Lewis having his coming out party against Cenzo. Cassar’s tournament was definitely the highlight.

Reactions: Cali_Nittany
I hope we get to see the great American hero vs Ferrari. Pretty sure Hendrickson is stronger and just as athletic plus quite a bit bigger. I would love to see Hendrickson hammer him. I think Kerk, Gable, and Hendrickson are probably the only guys that would be better than AJ at heavy and all 3 of them are athletic freaks

I hope we get to see the great American hero vs Ferrari. Pretty sure Hendrickson is stronger and just as athletic plus quite a bit bigger. I would love to see Hendrickson hammer him. I think Kerk, Gable, and Hendrickson are probably the only guys that would be better than AJ at heavy and all 3 of them are athletic freaks
Schultz might be tricky for him too--but yeah, I agree. I think we're undervaluing the top tier Heavies and how well they move for their size.

Just an absolute freak in terms of athleticism and wrestling ability.

The answer is, he’s a freak, it hasn’t affected him much and he’s not far off from the true freshman national champ he was.

AJ ... will most likely be the most athletic, fast, and strong Heavy in the country up at 225ish.

Fwiw I find AJ to be a “freak” as well ....
Am I the only one who thought AJ Ferrari's performance at 2021 Nationals was a bit underwhelming?

Don't get me wrong. It is beyond impressive to win Nationals, especially as a freshman. But he looked very beatable at that tourney. He had close wins against Jacob Warner and Nico Bonaccorsi, and his win against Myles Amine felt closer than the 5-1 score. Credit to him for finding a way to win, which is what champs do.

But there were chinks in his armor even at his best. He lost to Noah Adams (W.Va.) a few weeks before Nationals, and then right after Nationals he lost to Michael Macchiavello and Ben Honis at the Olympic trials (up at 97kg).

He started off the 2022 season 10-0 but had narrow wins over Bockman (Utah Valley), Buchanan (Wyo), and Woodley (Okl). That season was then interrupted by injuries from his car crash, followed by other life crashes.

Again, not disputing that AJ Ferrari is an elite wrestler with impressive accolades. Just saying that the jury is still out on whether he has what it takes to compete for the top of the podium again (at any weight). At 197, IMO it won't be nearly enough for him to get back to his 2021 NCAA champ form if he hopes to beat this highly advanced version of Aaron Brooks.

Anybody that wins NCAAs as a true freshman is a complete stud. But I don't see AJ giving AB a match. Yes, it will probably be close since AJ is gonna try and keep it that way but I don't feel AB will ever be in any danger of losing.

Am I the only one who thought AJ Ferrari's performance at 2021 Nationals was a bit underwhelming?

Don't get me wrong. It is beyond impressive to win Nationals, especially as a freshman. But he looked very beatable at that tourney. He had close wins against Jacob Warner and Nico Bonaccorsi, and his win against Myles Amine felt closer than the 5-1 score. Credit to him for finding a way to win, which is what champs do.

But there were chinks in his armor even at his best. He lost to Noah Adams (W.Va.) a few weeks before Nationals, and then right after Nationals he lost to Michael Macchiavello and Ben Honis at the Olympic trials (up at 97kg).

He started off the 2022 season 10-0 but had narrow wins over Bockman (Utah Valley), Buchanan (Wyo), and Woodley (Okl). That season was then interrupted by injuries from his car crash, followed by other life crashes.

Again, not disputing that AJ Ferrari is an elite wrestler with impressive accolades. Just saying that the jury is still out on whether he has what it takes to compete for the top of the podium again (at any weight). At 197, IMO it won't be nearly enough for him to get back to his 2021 NCAA champ form if he hopes to beat this highly advanced version of Aaron Brooks.

He wrestled for john - how else do you expect him to win?

• Haha
He wrestled for john - how else do you expect him to win?
Yup. Looking forward to all that offense he's going to develop under TnT.
All Your Fault Ghosts GIF by CBS

We don't need to downplay AJ. He wins narrow all the time because he's almost impossible to takedown with his style. I think he'll be very good still but am very confident AB beats him, not blow him out but I think AB wins that one because our coaches are straight up better game planners than the Brands and AB is more skilled.

But him winning as a true freshman was definitely impressive, especially when you consider Myles Amine was an Olympic Bronze (though I think he's considerably smaller than Aaron which is why he got overwhelmed by AJ's physicality, keep in mind AB basically used an identical strategy to beat him in 2022 when he had more time after weigh ins)

He also beat Nino who was hands down the best 197 last year as well (though he was inconsistent because he bounced R16 in 2022)

To another point, I wouldn't be shocked if AJ does drop one out of rust but I don't see who in the B1G would beat him besides AB (Allred, Hoffman, Braunagel, Poznanski? Yeah no, not happening) I can see Hidlay taking him out potentially as I believe like Aaron, he had quite a tough pull to 184.

We don't need to downplay AJ. He wins narrow all the time because he's almost impossible to takedown with his style. I think he'll be very good still but am very confident AB beats him, not blow him out but I think AB wins that one because our coaches are straight up better game planners than the Brands and AB is more skilled.

But him winning as a true freshman was definitely impressive, especially when you consider Myles Amine was an Olympic Bronze (though I think he's considerably smaller than Aaron which is why he got overwhelmed by AJ's physicality, keep in mind AB basically used an identical strategy to beat him in 2022 when he had more time after weigh ins)

He also beat Nino who was hands down the best 197 last year as well (though he was inconsistent because he bounced R16 in 2022)

To another point, I wouldn't be shocked if AJ does drop one out of rust but I don't see who in the B1G would beat him besides AB (Allred, Hoffman, Braunagel, Poznanski? Yeah no, not happening) I can see Hidlay taking him out potentially as I believe like Aaron, he had quite a tough pull to 184.
I think Allred has shown he can beat a National Champ. Otherwise, I totally agree with you.

Just for the record, I wasn't really trying to downplay AJs accomplishments and wrestling ability.

I was just saying he's coming off an unprecedented 30 month layoff and that we don't really know what affect that will have on him.

I was just saying he's coming off an unprecedented 30 month layoff and that we don't really know what affect that will have on him.
The kid is what, 21 years old, and spends multiple hours every day in the gym? As a prior freshman national champion, his wrestling skills are elite and will come back to competition from in a couple of months. Anyone who thinks AJ won't be a Top 4 guy for the post season is misinformed.

The unknowns are; will he come back, and at what weight?

IMO, he left 197 in the rear view mirror over a year ago. He will not be the same guy has he kept his weight down this whole time. AB is a far better wrestler, and sucked down I think AJ will lose some of his power, and most definitely some gas tank.

Despite the need for him at 197 on the squad, it seems a no brainer, Heavy is probably the better choice for him. He will be an animal out of the gate at Heavy. If Gable comes back that would prove to be an epic match. I have go with Gable. In reality one, both or neither may come back.

Last edited:
I just have to question why would any college program want AJ Ferrari as part of it? John Smith certainly could use the points, has in the past tolerated questionable behavior, he removed Ferrari from the program. If John Smith could not work with him, why does any coach think he can?

I just have to question why would any college program want AJ Ferrari as part of it? John Smith certainly could use the points, has in the past tolerated questionable behavior, he removed Ferrari from the program. If John Smith could not work with him, why does any coach think he can?
If I'm Tom Brands and I had an ounce of morality (we all know he doesn't, and he's desperate to do anything just to try to remain relevant), I'd tell the 2 oldest clown brothers to plan on taking this season off regardless and to come back next season, just to let all the drama surrounding this family calm down. Everywhere AJ goes he's getting boo'd off the mat, including from the Iowa fans that have some semblance of principles and morals. But we all know Trashy Tom isn't that smart, and he would welcome Satan himself to his dinner table if it gave him a chance at winning.

If I'm Tom Brands and I had an ounce of morality (we all know he doesn't, and he's desperate to do anything just to try to remain relevant), I'd tell the 2 oldest clown brothers to plan on taking this season off regardless and to come back next season, just to let all the drama surrounding this family calm down. Everywhere AJ goes he's getting boo'd off the mat, including from the Iowa fans that have some semblance of principles and morals. But we all know Trashy Tom isn't that smart, and he would welcome Satan himself to his dinner table if it gave him a chance at winning.
Even with, Brands still has no chance to win unless PSU is decimated by injuries

There will always be a coach who thinks his environment is so robust that such things won't happen there. Happens all the time, in every sport. And sometimes they're right -- Belichick has taken on countless malcontents (OTOH Aaron Hernandez).

The bigger the talent, the bigger the risk tolerance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT