ADVERTISEMENT

197 this year

Str8DBLz

Feb 2, 2019
Are we over looking the talent at 197?

I know brooks is a monster atleast he has been at 184 and I do believe he transitions to 197 just fine. WILL it be his more natural weight. He wasn't cutting more than 10lbs ever to make 184.

The world medalist at 197, brooks (gold), Trumble (gold), Cardenas (bronze), Hidley (silver) could be 1 heck of a meat grinder bracket.

I KNOW Brooks is the favorite to win I'm just saying the weight is deep. Then add in Womanizer Ferrari once he announces he joined Iowa and the horses are big.

IMO, there’s talent but not on AB’s level. If he’s on his game and healthy (knock on wood), he’s as much of a sure thing as there can be in sports. After all, Buster Douglas did beat Mike Tyson.

Are we over looking the talent at 197?

I know brooks is a monster atleast he has been at 184 and I do believe he transitions to 197 just fine. WILL it be his more natural weight. He wasn't cutting more than 10lbs ever to make 184.

The world medalist at 197, brooks (gold), Trumble (gold), Cardenas (bronze), Hidley (silver) could be 1 heck of a meat grinder bracket.

I KNOW Brooks is the favorite to win I'm just saying the weight is deep. Then add in Womanizer Ferrari once he announces he joined Iowa and the horses are big.
Gotta pick one between Hidlay and Trumble, right? And isn't the word that Trumble is redshirting? Aaron can beat Trent, I have a feeling. Cardenas is good, but not on Aaron's level. AJ is obviously a freak athlete, but I gotta lean toward the kid who brings consistency and humility err'y day to the best practice room on the globe. It's a nice weight class though. Better than it has been.

Last edited:
AB out of his own mouth is like 205 so the cut to 184 was quite difficult to him. He certainly is bigger than Bo was at 197. There's a reason he talked about the difficulty of the cut after his win last year and that there were rumors he planned to redshirt (and also randomly missed duals) AB won't be a HUGE 197 but he won't be a small one at all.

IMO, there’s talent but not on AB’s level. If he’s on his game and healthy (knock on wood), he’s as much of a sure thing as there can be in sports. After all, Buster Douglas did beat Mike Tyson.
I see the correlation - Tyson was unstoppable before he left/lost his promoter and trainer.

AB out of his own mouth is like 205 so the cut to 184 was quite difficult to him. He certainly is bigger than Bo was at 197. There's a reason he talked about the difficulty of the cut after his win last year and that there were rumors he planned to redshirt (and also randomly missed duals) AB won't be a HUGE 197 but he won't be a small one at all.
Yes, but more importantly...how much can he deadlift?

• Haha
Reactions: goldenanimal
Hidlay is going 197 so they can get Fishback into the lineup. Already confirmed. I am fairly confident we will see Trumble redshirt but otherwise he is going heavy.

Also - consider Trumble's 197 folk results
He lost the spot to Nick Reenan as a true freshman
Went 1-2
Went R16

He seems to have Amos syndrome in that the cut to 197 is probably tough for him and he's an ultimate tweener. I think the best solution there is to go heavyweight long-term.

Hidlay is going 197 so they can get Fishback into the lineup. Already confirmed. I am fairly confident we will see Trumble redshirt but otherwise he is going heavy.

Went 1-2
Went R16

He seems to have Amos syndrome in that the cut to 197 is probably tough for him and he's an ultimate tweener. I think the best solution there is to go heavyweight long-term.
Watching Trumble at worlds it sure looked like he has the frame to add another 20 pounds and that was at 97kg (213.3).

I don’t think Brooks will have much trouble with anyone at the weight.

Ferrari presents a unique challenge because he’s both huge and very good defensively, but I think Brooks is far more skilled.

I'm trying to remember the board's general sentiment when Bo moved up to 197 in 2019. My recollection is that most of us were confidant he'd still win it all but some worried about ole noodle arms being able to duplicate his success against the bigger boys.

Is AB facing a tougher field than Bo did? This NCAA clip mentions Kollin Moore and Patrick Brucki as Bo's main competition, though it turned out to be a significant overstatement to say "he'll be tested by Ohio State's Kollin Moore." :D

I'm trying to remember the board's general sentiment when Bo moved up to 197 in 2019. My recollection is that most of us were confidant he'd still win it all but some worried about ole noodle arms being able to duplicate his success against the bigger boys.

Is AB facing a tougher field than Bo did? This NCAA clip mentions Kollin Moore and Patrick Brucki as Bo's main competition, though it turned out to be a significant overstatement to say "he'll be tested by Ohio State's Kollin Moore." :D

Against Brucki:
2nd period pin that happened so fast Brucki wasn't prepped for it

Against Moore:
1st period pin
Dominant 10-3 win where Moore just backpedaled
Bo locked a cradle in the 3rd and final match but was good just running the clock out at that point. Think he had another major at least if not pin if he went for it

Reactions: goldenanimal

Went 1-2
Went R16

Fwiw hidlay to 197 …

Reactions: Str8DBLz
Fwiw hidlay to 197 …

Hidlay should move to the WWE where they let you "wrestle" not just the edge but even outside the ring.

Watching Trumble at worlds it sure looked like he has the frame to add another 20 pounds and that was at 97kg (213.3).

I don’t think Brooks will have much trouble with anyone at the weight.

Ferrari presents a unique challenge because he’s both huge and very good defensively, but I think Brooks is far more skilled.
Couldn’t agree more ..

Regardless of how long Ferrari hasn’t been wrestling he is a dangerous wild card that can’t be ignored. Could/should be a great match or set or matches to watch this year.

Can someone with more wrestling knowledge than me explain why a 5 foot 9 inch guy would have problems matching up against 6 footers. I’ve seen this argument a few times as a reason Ferrari and others would have an edge. Other than tie ups , I just don’t see a distinct advantage to the height in fact for me I kind of thought the opposite .

Couldn’t agree more ..

Regardless of how long Ferrari hasn’t been wrestling he is a dangerous wild card that can’t be ignored. Could/should be a great match or set or matches to watch this year.

Can someone with more wrestling knowledge than me explain why a 5 foot 9 inch guy would have problems matching up against 6 footers. I’ve seen this argument a few times as a reason Ferrari and others would have an edge. Other than tie ups , I just don’t see a distinct advantage to the height in fact for me I kind of thought the opposite .
With AB's long arms I don't think the height difference matters.

Not to mention a lot of people here thought he might not be able to beat Dean, when he moved up to 184.

Last edited:
Couldn’t agree more ..

Taller guys have a reach and leverage advantage.

It's not insurmountable. Frank Molinaro wasn't exactly snow-capped year-round.

The issue with Ferrari is that he will have a strength advantage and will try to grind the match to a halt. Ferrari IMO isn't as good as Aaron but is very good nonetheless and is good enough to steal a one-takedown match.

That is, if Ferrari doesn't implode again before nationals. Or if Beard or Hidlay don't take him out first.

The issue with Ferrari is that he will have a strength advantage and will try to grind the match to a halt. Ferrari IMO isn't as good as Aaron but is very good nonetheless and is good enough to steal a one-takedown match.

That is, if Ferrari doesn't implode again before nationals. Or if Beard or Hidlay don't take him out first.
Ferrari hasn't competed in 30 months. That's a long time.

I don't think anyone has a good handle on what impact that is going to have.

Any reach problems Aaron may have will be more than made up for by his motor.

A lot of 197s fall off HARD in the 3rd. Aaron, like DT, wears people down the entire match and really, really exposes them late, if he's so inclined.

Ferrari hasn't competed in 30 months. That's a long time.

I don't think anyone has a good handle on what impact that is going to have.
Not going to affect him at all.

He's doing REALLY well in the room when he comes in. Just an absolute freak in terms of athleticism and wrestling ability.

I liked Matt’s response which is how I replied on other threads . Height isn’t reach but I can see generally you tend to have longer arms the taller you are (maybe)

As for leverage I assume you mean in tie ups ?

For flat out shooting from the neutral position I would think being shorter is more advantageous .

I don’t see beard or hidlay taking out AJ but anything can happen .

He's doing REALLY well in the room when he comes in. Just an absolute freak in terms of athleticism and wrestling ability.
Yeah, sorry but your assurance doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

Doing well against the venerable HWC upper weights is essentially a bare minimum if you're telling me he's definitely at the same level he was when we last saw him on the mat.

In the nicest possible way, how would anyone draw that conclusion?

Who would he wrestle at Iowa that is good enough to be able to make any kind of legitimate comparison?

DT against Brooks, makes sense. DT against Cael, uh, yeah. Brooks against Cael, yep. DT against Snyder, absolutely. Brooks against Varner, yep. DT against Varner, totes. Snyder against Varner, makes sense. Oh, and Dake. Full feed Dake vs Brooks would be great to see. Brooks is the only non-Olympic medalist on that list, and it turns out he's pretty good, too.

Ferrari against...who, exactly?

Any idea who he is wrestling with in the room. I’d be curious for example how he is matching up against Cass.

Who would he wrestle at Iowa that is good enough to be able to make any kind of legitimate comparison?

DT against Brooks, makes sense. DT against Cael, uh, yeah. Brooks against Cael, yep. DT against Snyder, absolutely. Brooks against Varner, yep. DT against Varner, totes. Snyder against Varner, makes sense. Oh, and Dake. Full feed Dake vs Brooks would be great to see. Brooks is the only non-Olympic medalist on that list, and it turns out he's pretty good, too.

The guy on bottom.

012822_iowapennstwrestling_JR076-900x600.jpg

Just because Aaron doesnt walk around shirtless, flexing for teenage girls on parade floats,and posting deadlift #’s doesnt mean he has that big of a strength disadvantage compared too Ferarri.

He looks pretty damn strong too me, his arms and chest are huge.

Bo’s move to 184 (where Dean awaited) caused more anxiety . . . once that was handled, I bet many didn’t worry about the move to 197 so much.

Like Bo, Brooks has the technical skill to adjust as necessary to handle the beefier 197s. If anything, the lankier ones could test his patience.

Big Bobby “I’ll Make That Phone Call” Telford

The question about Bo at 197 was if he could maintain his prolific bonus rate. Merely winning wasn't in much doubt.

I still feel Bo’s jump too 197 was team related more than the weight “Need”.

At the time Cassar and Shak had just come off a postseason where many people thought that Cassar should have got the nod, but it went too Shak.

I think Bo thought too himself, Im going too 197 to solve this and sure enough, it WORKED! At least for 2 of the 3.

I'd be shocked if after 30 months of no competitive wrestling that AJ could make 197. He has always struck me as a 'roid user. Not saying he is. Just that to me he appears that way. and pics I saw of him awhile ago he looked 220+. My guess is he'd have to go hwt and that greg, Schultz and hendrickson would pound on him. AJ could have a speed advantage at neutral tho.

Reactions: Ski and Str8DBLz
Brooks looked very healthy and strong this past week, much more fit for the weight than Bo did. I think Aaron's biggest competition this year up a weight is vs Hodge.

As for AJ. Mr 225 fast twitch with 5% body fat, back down at 197, I don't see it, and if so he won't be the same wrestler two years removed from competition to boot. AJ will not be able to handle Aaron, full stop.

I think it is far more likely"if" we see AJ in black and gold it's at Heavyweight. Do I think he will be big problems for Cass? You bet, AJ wins that spot. Do I think he would present problems for Kirk and the rest of the field? Unfortunately, yes.

Yeah, sorry but your assurance doesn't mean a whole lot to me.

Doing well against the venerable HWC upper weights is essentially a bare minimum if you're telling me he's definitely at the same level he was when we last saw him on the mat.

Any idea who he is wrestling with in the room. I’d be curious for example how he is matching up against Cass.

The guy on bottom.

012822_iowapennstwrestling_JR076-900x600.jpg
You guys are joking right? Look, I don’t like the kid, don’t want him near the Hawks - but if the simple question is - how good is he after this layoff?

The answer is, he’s a freak, it hasn’t affected him much and he’s not far off from the true freshman national champ he was. I’m not coming here to say he’ll beat AB. Just saying that, when he does wrestle, he’ll be at, or very close, to the level we last him.

Reactions: slushhead
You guys are joking right? Look, I don’t like the kid, don’t want him near the Hawks - but if the simple question is - how good is he after this layoff?

The answer is, he’s a freak, it hasn’t affected him much and he’s not far off from the true freshman national champ he was. I’m not coming here to say he’ll beat AB. Just saying that, when he does wrestle, he’ll be at, or very close, to the level we last him.
So he’s going to try to double thigh clench butt hump his way through the field?

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum

I don't deny he's a very talented wrestler. But he also hasn't completed on the mat in 2 and a half years, during which he was training at least in part for something other than wrestling (and if his social media is an indication, it was a significant part).

I have no doubt he has looked impressive in the room. But getting through a B1G season and March after such a long layoff is, in my opinion, not something you can dismiss by just saying "oh don't worry, he looks great".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT