ADVERTISEMENT

+11 Turnover Differential, Penalties, Offensive Gameplan

mgkpsu

Nov 30, 2005
Say what you will about the level of competition to this point, but I have personally never seen anything like this at any level, as it's pretty evenly split between interceptions and fumbles. And our offensive players are doing great, especially Allar's willingness to throw it away instead of forcing.

And while it's maybe not as exciting as 50 yard bombs, seemingly always getting positive yards, and thus grinding down the opposing defense via time of possession, seems to be a winning formula. But let's forget about any more double passes!!!

As someone who has been critical at times, to this point in the season Franklin seems to be earning his very large salary on the field, and hopefully he and the AD are addressing any academic and/or behavioral shortcomings off the field.

If they can tighten up a little on the penalties (there have been some dumb ones) then this will be a team and season that we can be very proud of in terms of effort and execution, even if someone with better talent beats us.

Reactions: 81b&w and mcpat
In the snarky comment category. I don't believe any football coach making $8 or $9 million a year can ever "earn" their salary.

Our lack of turnovers is huge for us and Allar is a big reason. If we can do that in Columbus while forcing a couple then we have a great shot a beating them.

I dont necessarily disagree with the dink and dunk offense, but you have to at least throw downfield a few times to loosen up the 8-9 men in the box.

Reactions: bdgan
The Lions are taking what defenses are giving them. The 7.5 minute drives against Iowa are a plus compared to the 2-3 minute drives of Moorehead. We are cutting the # of possessions of the other team in half. This is a very good defense. TOP of 35+ minutes, and TDs in the red zone will make it great.
The number of deep passes will be dictated by the defenses. I like that the Lions are not trying to force anything. 😏

In the snarky comment category. I don't believe any football coach making $8 or $9 million a year can ever "earn" their salary.

Our lack of turnovers is huge for us and Allar is a big reason. If we can do that in Columbus while forcing a couple then we have a great shot a beating them.
Disagree. The amount of publicity that fb earns a school is worth something. Look at Colorado. Deion has already earned his contract with amount of free publicity. Doesn’t count extra ticket sales concessions parking etc.
winning Fb gives a school publicity. That attracts more students. That allows a school to be selective which in turn provides lore donations long term and grants/etc.

College Football Programs are making more money than ever. The rising Coaching Salaries are just a by product of the rising revenue generated by the football programs.

College Football Programs are making more money than ever. The rising Coaching Salaries are just a by product of the rising revenue generated by the football programs.

Right. The profs making 200k in depts that lose money should be cut. Elizabeth Warren make 400k to teach one class. If anyone really cares about student debt then let's address the cost of tuition and eliminate depts that lose money.

Disagree. The amount of publicity that fb earns a school is worth something. Look at Colorado. Deion has already earned his contract with amount of free publicity. Doesn’t count extra ticket sales concessions parking etc.
winning Fb gives a school publicity. That attracts more students. That allows a school to be selective which in turn provides lore donations long term and grants/etc.
Yes it's worth something but how much after Colorado falls to .500. And how long can Colorado donors keep putting up so much NIL money?

Right. The profs making 200k in depts that lose money should be cut. Elizabeth Warren make 400k to teach one class. If anyone really cares about student debt then let's address the cost of tuition and eliminate depts that lose money.
I'll stay away from the profs but the large fees to former politicians is obscene. It has little to do with educating students.

Reactions: Thomas1945
Penn State’s new budget model says that Engineering and Earth & Mineral Science (includes mining and petroleum) are losing money. Liberal Arts is profitable. So which departments should we close?

Say what you will about the level of competition to this point, but I have personally never seen anything like this at any level, as it's pretty evenly split between interceptions and fumbles. And our offensive players are doing great, especially Allar's willingness to throw it away instead of forcing.

And while it's maybe not as exciting as 50 yard bombs, seemingly always getting positive yards, and thus grinding down the opposing defense via time of possession, seems to be a winning formula. But let's forget about any more double passes!!!

As someone who has been critical at times, to this point in the season Franklin seems to be earning his very large salary on the field, and hopefully he and the AD are addressing any academic and/or behavioral shortcomings off the field.

If they can tighten up a little on the penalties (there have been some dumb ones) then this will be a team and season that we can be very proud of in terms of effort and execution, even if someone with better talent beats us.

Agree.

I've wanted a ball control offense and have made that opinion plain on this board for years. Never liked the emphasis on "explosive plays." Those happen when you do the right things overall and there is a defensive breakdown. Take what the defense gives you, and don't try to force it. Keep your own defense rested.

Now can I have some of Franklin's money?

Reactions: Marylovesthelions

Most positive comment I've seen you make, kudos

I dont necessarily disagree with the dink and dunk offense, but you have to at least throw downfield a few times to loosen up the 8-9 men in the box.
If you are consistently making a 6-8 yards per play, even with 8 in the box, no you do not have to throw downfield. That's the whole point.

Reactions: Marylovesthelions
Penn State’s new budget model says that Engineering and Earth & Mineral Science (includes mining and petroleum) are losing money. Liberal Arts is profitable. So which departments should we close?

Show me the whole budget. I will make the cuts.

PS. I will cut about half the sports tomorrow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT