ADVERTISEMENT

You all ready for Michael Beard?

Hall’s shirt was pulled when we had not one, but 2 healthy guys (with winning records) already there.

But Hall had won the Scuffle beating several top 10 ranked opponents and returning AAs. Beard has only wrestled one returning NCAA qualifier who is 0-4 at NCAAs and he lost to him. As of today expected NCAA points from Beard this season IMHO are anywhere from zero to 1 point. Unless something changes dramatically I see no reason to pull his redshirt.

As of today expected NCAA points from Beard this season IMHO are anywhere from zero to 1 point. Unless something changes dramatically I see no reason to pull his redshirt.

1 bad match for Beard doesn’t temper my expectations for him. He beat Bulsack last year, tech falled the guy Conel lost to last week and majored Chris Weiler from Lehigh last year.

The kid is a stud and to say he would be looking at 0-1 point come March is like “wow.” I’d feel comfortable with Beard against anyone in the weight class. Not saying he’s the #1 guy right now but come on. 0-1 point? The kids a 197 that wrestles like a 157. Don’t see many of those guys at that weight.

Remember the King Pish bet we made when I told you Nick Lee would be coming out of redshirt? I’ll make it again with you this year..Beard will be starter by mid January and he will score more than 1 point at NCAA’s.

Another “king” bet Nova?

But Hall had won the Scuffle beating several top 10 ranked opponents and returning AAs. Beard has only wrestled one returning NCAA qualifier who is 0-4 at NCAAs and he lost to him. As of today expected NCAA points from Beard this season IMHO are anywhere from zero to 1 point. Unless something changes dramatically I see no reason to pull his redshirt.

Beard also beat Bulsak last season. I would expect more than 0 to 1 point from him. Anyway, as many have said, there's plenty of time to decide. Hopefully Beard goes to the Scuffle.

Edit:
Christian Brucki had yet to qualify for a NCAA tournament when he beat Hall.

Last edited:
Reactions: diggerpup
The loss to Bulsak can be mitigated at nationals -- take neutral against a leg rider. Kinda like how Stieber took down against Zain exactly once in his career.

And/or get in a lot of work with Casey between now and then.

Conel is working into shape and will be through December. Same with Berge and Shak although they are recouping from injuries. Check back in January. Not worried. Duals are just workouts. It’s all about March! Cael has the formula.

Conel should be able to beat Aaron Bolo even if he’s just “working out”

Reactions: donboy6499
Beard is a technically a RS Fr. With one year in the room with the NLWC. If he is a 0-1 pt guy at nationals this year, we better recruit a new 197 asap.

Which no one is saying.

The problem with conel is that the problem isnt just his conditioning.

Hes not taking shots, he cant hold people down, he gets held down, he cant fight off shots, no urgency so on and so forth.

And it's not like he just showed up in happy valley in September. If it was only conditioning then he let himself down not being ready for the season. I dont think that's him either.

Hes a good guy, a great team mate but let's face the possibility that injuries may have just taken the best of him. Which then could factor into his overall conditioning and his in match strategy.

I dont think there is any harm saying this, as it's the nature of the sport we love.

Honestly - Michael was phenomenal last year greyshirting. He wrestled like a hammer and bonused every one of his opponents except for Bulsak who he took a 13-2 lead against before winning 13-9.

His coach said he just gassed bad that match and just laid on bottom the 3rd period and almost got DQed for it but he is absolutely not weak on bottom. He didn't look as good at the Clarion Open this year but I'm not remotely worried, that could easily have been an off tournament, he's not going backwards in the room.

That looks delicious, do you have a recipe you can share?

Interesting possibility but it appears in Cael's tenure his philosophy of getting each wrestler better individually trumps team. While we may disagree, the loyalty to each wrestler is unquestionable. If it's close in the room I don't see Beard burning the shirt. If he consistently beats Conel, I think you would see the move to Beard. Shak getting back and in shape is another variable so I'm not sure burning Brooks is the answer. Interesting perspective however.
I would assume based on the OP that right now Beard is beating Conel in the room consistently.

Reactions: nitlion6
I would assume based on the OP that right now Beard is beating Conel in the room consistently.
Knowing who the OP is....

If he wasnt, the thread probably doesn't get posted.

If he isnt, we got big long term problems at this weight. Which would be seen in our recruiting efforts I would think

Reactions: nitlion6
Who will be surprised when Kerk weighs in at 197 second semester and goes heavyweight next year? Only the 4 inch binder knows ..:)

Honestly - this might be a year to strike on 197 points. Other than Kollin, that class is wide open as well.

That talk of Brooks going 184 is silly. Shakur is fine, they're just being cautious because why wouldn't you? He'll be back by January. As for Conel, I don't see how you don't try Beard, but it won't be anytime soon. Could see him head to the Scuffle unattached a la Mark Hall in 15-16.

149 might also have a chance for movement between Verk and Gardner. I'm also curious to see if Pipher challenges at 149 after Berge comes back.
I want bear claw. That guy looked pretty good at clarion. I really like him he is going to have a say at some point. All heart

1 bad match for Beard doesn’t temper my expectations for him. He beat Bulsack last year, tech falled the guy Conel lost to last week and majored Chris Weiler from Lehigh last year.

The kid is a stud and to say he would be looking at 0-1 point come March is like “wow.” I’d feel comfortable with Beard against anyone in the weight class. Not saying he’s the #1 guy right now but come on. 0-1 point? The kids a 197 that wrestles like a 157. Don’t see many of those guys at that weight.

Remember the King Pish bet we made when I told you Nick Lee would be coming out of redshirt? I’ll make it again with you this year..Beard will be starter by mid January and he will score more than 1 point at NCAA’s.

Another “king” bet Nova?
He can score more points than any other 97 wrestler we have on the team

That talk of Brooks going 184 is silly. Shakur is fine, they're just being cautious because why wouldn't you? He'll be back by January. As for Conel, I don't see how you don't try Beard, but it won't be anytime soon. Could see him head to the Scuffle unattached a la Mark Hall in 15-16.
I cannot wait to watch Brooks wrestle. I'm not an Iowa fan but I can't wait to next year. That's after we score 150 points with 10 AAs this year lmfao. We Are

Can shack be fine and gain 10lbs , and move to 197.

Reactions: donboy6499
Can shack be fine and gain 10lbs , and move to 197.
Possible, but it seems much more likely Shak will stay at 184, and we'll "roll the dice" with Conel or Beard at 197. After listening to Cody post-match, I think Conel is going to get a loooong leash, and we're just going to have to live with that. He has a proven high ceiling that we don't have with any other wrestler at these 2 weights. A lot of questions, sure, but also a lot of time.

All the same, I really do want to see Beard in more action--and the scuffle would be great. Was the Bulsak match an outlier, or a sign of an issue? How can he handle multiple high-level matches? Etc etc. I'm sure the coaches probably have a good idea on that--but nothing like real competition.

I’m hoping for Beard to come out of redshirt. To me he is a sure fire AA this year. The kid is a hammer. The only reason you don’t pull his shirt is if you think the title is locked up without any points at 197. If that’s the case than it’s great to keep in redshirt with all the other guys and unleash them next year. Going a bit off topic now but look how young the lineup could potentially be next year.

125-Robbie Howard-True Freshman
133-RBY-True Jr.
141-Beau Bartlett-True Freshman
149-Nick Lee-True Sr
157-Brady Berge-Redshirt Jr.
165-Joe Lee-Redshirt Freshman
174-Carter Starocci-Redshirt Freshman
184-Aaron Brooks-Redshirt Freshman
197-Michael Beard-Redshirt Freshman
Hwt-Seth Nevills-Redshirt Freshman

That’s crazy good and crazy young!! 7 freshman, 2 jr, 1 sr. 7 freshmen!!! This is just having fun obviously. Who knows if Howard and Bartlett go as true freshman or if Nick Lee moves up to 149. 157-Hwt look pretty set unless someone like Kerkvliet comes in. Fun times ahead

I’m hoping for Beard to come out of redshirt. To me he is a sure fire AA this year. The kid is a hammer. The only reason you don’t pull his shirt is if you think the title is locked up without any points at 197. If that’s the case than it’s great to keep in redshirt with all the other guys and unleash them next year. Going a bit off topic now but look how young the lineup could potentially be next year.

133-RBY-True Jr.
149-Nick Lee-True Sr

That’s crazy good and crazy young!! 7 freshman, 2 jr, 1 sr. 7 freshmen!!! This is just having fun obviously. Who knows if Howard and Bartlett go as true freshman or if Nick Lee moves up to 149. 157-Hwt look pretty set unless someone like Kerkvliet comes in. Fun times ahead
Looks pretty F*n to me! One note from that thanksgiving article I posted in the social media thread: Nick Lee is going to Cenzo's for Thanksgiving, and according to Cenzo (admittedly, not the most reliable source, given his penchant for irony), Nick won't have to watch what he eats because he's "usually pretty light." TIFWIW

Also of note--several of the "redshirt freshmen" in your list will have been in the room (or a year at the OTC first) for 2+ years by next year.

I'm most definitely one of those "whatever the staff decides" kind of guys, but one option that few have mentioned would be burning Brooks' shirt at 184, bumping Rasheed to 197 and keeping Beard's shirt intact. Rasheed has already proven that he can compete at 197 and he may enjoy not having to worry about his weight (thereby performing better than he might at 184). While some believe that Beard may need that redshirt to develop his mat skills, I think that most observers believe Brooks is ready now if he were needed to go. I also realize that Cael's philosophy is typically to redshirt all of the freshmen, but clearly we need this weight resolved. I don't think anyone's entirely sure what we'll have at 125 or even 149 this year, but we should score points at 197 (maybe a load of them).

I would say that Cael's philosophy (like many coaches) is that all things considered he would prefer to RS a wrestler if possible. But, the bottom line issue is if his presence will make a pivotal difference that year in the post-season. When he thinks it does, he pulls the shirt. There are plenty of examples of him starting true freshmen: Nico, McIntosh, Zain, Hall, Lee, RBY etc. If the coaching staff thinks Brooks or Beard or whoever could very well make a significant difference in the post-season, I don't think they would hesitate, unless there were other considerations.

Cael knows exactly when to wrestle a true freshman. Twice, their points made the difference in the championship (Zain Train and Lee)

Reactions: csiebott

133-RBY-True Jr.
149-Nick Lee-True Sr

If Busiello comes aboard and RBY takes a redshirt you can make it 8 Freshmen starters. That would be a fun, interesting season.

133-RBY-True Jr.
149-Nick Lee-True Sr

Mason Manville as a redshirt Soph still could have a say for years to come at 165/174. I’d think coming off an Oly Greco shirt that Mason will redirect his attention to Folk and be one tough hombre. Mason will certainly challenge Starocci and or Joe Lee.

Reactions: tabenn
A team like that could have a nickname. Is Young Guns taken?

Bravo-Young
Bartlett
Busiello
Berge
Brooks
Beard
Big Snacks

I'm thinking that has the makings for "The Killers B's". Just have to figure out how to include Howard (just plain "B" -- short for Robbie?), the Lees, and Starocci.

Maybe sit a couple of the non-B guys, since my list mentions 12 wrestlers, and we really need go all-in on a fitting nickname for the team if they are to overcome the formidable #2021. ;)

Bravo-Young
Bartlett
Busiello
Berge
Brooks
Beard
Big Snacks

I'm thinking that has the makings for "The Killers B's". Just have to figure out how to include Howard (just plain "B" -- short for Robbie?), the Lees, and Starocci.

Maybe sit a couple of the non-B guys, since my list mentions 12 wrestlers, and we really need go all-in on a fitting nickname for the team if they are to overcome the formidable #2021. ;)
B-Team -- as in, our B-Team beat Iowa and Ohio State.

Manvill At 165

133-RBY-True Jr.
149-Nick Lee-True Sr

Bravo-Young
Bartlett
Busiello
Berge
Brooks
Beard
Big Snacks

The Third Wave

Reactions: slushhead

Another “king” bet Nova?
Im never one one to bring up illness as an excuse. From what I saw vs bulsak this year was the movement and chain wrestling looked great from beard. For some reason he looked absolutely drained and white as a ghost. Could have been a number of things, but all the skill you could want is there

Im never one one to bring up illness as an excuse. From what I saw vs bulsak this year was the movement and chain wrestling looked great from beard. For some reason he looked absolutely drained and white as a ghost. Could have been a number of things, but all the skill you could want is there
Never? :)

Reactions: PD4thespawn
Very possible, but having been at the receiving end of a strong leg ride, I can testify that fighting a good leg rider for a full period can make you feel very very ill!;) a Bulsak very respectable wrestler, Beard will learn from it and move forward. This loss does not change Beards ceiling or readiness to go this year in my book.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT