ADVERTISEMENT

You all ready for Michael Beard?

He may decide this is a punt year but It appears if they intend to truly challenge for the championship, the ship needs pulled.

And honestly if Shak is not healing as intended they need to make a decision there as well. If he is on track to be full speed as the season progresses we are probably good there.

Reactions: Kale_yeah
Eventually? probably. I’d be surprised if we see him in uniform vs. Lehigh.

Conel is a definite concern.He has shown no offense and seems to get gassed quickly. I can't believe PS will give up points at 197 all year and not qualify for NCAAs at that weight.if it continues , Could see Beard RS being pulled since he already has a gray shirt year. Verk never seems to win a big match. Id like to see Gardener. Berge and Shak will be back and Teske is developing. A healthy line up with 197 and 149 resolved , PS will be fine.

He may decide this is a punt year but It appears if they intend to truly challenge for the championship, the ship needs pulled.

Definitely not a punt year, I was on that band wagon last March. A punt year would have included an Oly for Hall with either RBy and/or Nick shirting as well. We are in it to win it and will be ready at the end to make a strong run. We have just been spoiled too long with teams that are head and shoulders better than everyone else rather than in a horse race.

Reactions: Ski
will be surprised if any shirts are burned before jan./early feb.

I agree, and there is no reason to. This is the backup QB syndrome. All I've heard of Beard I expect him to be great eventually, but I haven't seen him wrestle much. I did watches at the Clarion Open a few weeks back and he looked pretty good, but he did lose in the finals to Bulsak who is now a RS Junior at Clarion and the past two seasons has gone a combined 0-4 at NCAAs.

It would certainly be great to have JLee, Starocci, Brooks, Beard, and Snacks have 4 years together in the lineup. But if Michael does go, having a bit of experience in the upper end of the lineup next year would be a plus.

Last edited:
And honestly if Shak is not healing as intended they need to make a decision there as well. If he is on track to be full speed as the season progresses we are probably good there.
From a compliance point of view; .... could Cael simply put Shak on the shelf for the full year (didn’t he get 2 extra years) and rip a shirt?

Just realized who is OP (A big Beard fan, as I’m sure we all will if not already).

I suspect that Conel will be in the lineup for Lehigh and Penn and Beard goes to some tournaments. May even see Conel against Illinois on January 10th. At that point unless Conel is significantly improved, I suspect Beard goes into the lineup if he looks like he could reach the podium in March.

Whatever Coach decides, whenever he decides it, works for me.
I can't help but think Cael has a plan. There's no way he runs conel out there if he doesn't think he could contribute. My feeling is Cael has him in the line up because he doesn't want to pull the shirt from Beard. I think conel will improve and we will get some points from him in March. That's if he isn't injured. He will get his lungs

I can't help but think Cael has a plan. There's no way he runs conel out there if he doesn't think he could contribute. My feeling is Cael has him in the line up because he doesn't want to pull the shirt from Beard. I think conel will improve and we will get some points from him in March. That's if he isn't injured. He will get his lungs

This is far from Conels worst career loss, he’s had some doozies. We need natty points, never mind the thoughts of what Iowa would do to this current line-up in our dual. I’ll be patient, but I just dont see this experiment workin.

Dont even bother Roar

Conel is busting his hump, but I’d be lying if I said his 2018 doesn’t remind me of Zeke Moisey’s lightning in a bottle run.

Eh, Moisey did AA another year. He also was having a decent year his sophomore year (including wins over Darian Cruz, Lizak, Fleetwood, Fausz) but injury defaulted out of Big 12’s.

Last year wasn’t good but he still seemed to be pretty injured a lot of the time. Does Conel currently have any actual injuries?

Conel is coming off significant reconstructive shoulder surgery. Talked to someone in the medical profession at nationals that actually saw his charts and images and they said that they would be very surprised if he could ever come back to 100%.

I'm most definitely one of those "whatever the staff decides" kind of guys, but one option that few have mentioned would be burning Brooks' shirt at 184, bumping Rasheed to 197 and keeping Beard's shirt intact. Rasheed has already proven that he can compete at 197 and he may enjoy not having to worry about his weight (thereby performing better than he might at 184). While some believe that Beard may need that redshirt to develop his mat skills, I think that most observers believe Brooks is ready now if he were needed to go. I also realize that Cael's philosophy is typically to redshirt all of the freshmen, but clearly we need this weight resolved. I don't think anyone's entirely sure what we'll have at 125 or even 149 this year, but we should score points at 197 (maybe a load of them).

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
I'm most definitely one of those "whatever the staff decides" kind of guys, but one option that few have mentioned would be burning Brooks' shirt at 184, bumping Rasheed to 197 and keeping Beard's shirt intact. Rasheed has already proven that he can compete at 197 and he may enjoy not having to worry about his weight (thereby performing better than he might at 184). While some believe that Beard may need that redshirt to develop his mat skills, I think that most observers believe Brooks is ready now if he were needed to go. I also realize that Cael's philosophy is typically to redshirt all of the freshmen, but clearly we need this weight resolved. I don't think anyone's entirely sure what we'll have at 125 or even 149 this year, but we should score points at 197 (maybe a load of them).

Interesting possibility but it appears in Cael's tenure his philosophy of getting each wrestler better individually trumps team. While we may disagree, the loyalty to each wrestler is unquestionable. If it's close in the room I don't see Beard burning the shirt. If he consistently beats Conel, I think you would see the move to Beard. Shak getting back and in shape is another variable so I'm not sure burning Brooks is the answer. Interesting perspective however.

Think Brooks needs more time to become a full sized 184. Highly doubt we see the redshirt pulled. Aside from that, a healthy Shak is a finalist contender at 184 so there is no need to move guys around. The only real decision this season is whether Beards RS is pulled for 197, otherwise the lineup is pretty much set.

Conel is working into shape and will be through December. Same with Berge and Shak although they are recouping from injuries. Check back in January. Not worried. Duals are just workouts. It’s all about March! Cael has the formula.

Reactions: TexasLion1979
Conel is coming off significant reconstructive shoulder surgery. Talked to someone in the medical profession at nationals that actually saw his charts and images and they said that they would be very surprised if he could ever come back to 100%.

Ok but if that’s the case then that’s probably even more reason for Cael to make the switch.

If that's actually true, the person you spoke with should be fired for violating HIPAA by sharing confidential medical information without a signed Release of Information.

Regardless, I hope Conel keeps getting healthier and learns to manage his weight, and if he is unable to do that, Cael will make the decision when necessary.

Reactions: Cenosillicaphobia
Conel is working into shape and will be through December. Same with Berge and Shak although they are recouping from injuries. Check back in January. Not worried. Duals are just workouts. It’s all about March! Cael has the formula.

Agree about the decision point being January and even then you only pull the shirts for a chance at the NCAA team title. If you have to pull 1 or 2 shirts for a title you do it, but any more than that then you punt the year and don’t pull any, as while they are talented, I don’t think more than Brooks and maybe Beard are ready to put up good point totals in March. My $.02, which, as always, is worth nothing.

Agree about the decision point being January and even then you only pull the shirts for a chance at the NCAA team title. If you have to pull 1 or 2 shirts for a title you do it, but any more than that then you punt the year and don’t pull any, as while they are talented, I don’t think more than Brooks and maybe Beard are ready to put up good point totals in March. My $.02, which, as always, is worth nothing.
Couldn't agree more.......see Zain redshirt

Think Brooks needs more time to become a full sized 184. Highly doubt we see the redshirt pulled. Aside from that, a healthy Shak is a finalist contender at 184 so there is no need to move guys around. The only real decision this season is whether Beards RS is pulled for 197, otherwise the lineup is pretty much set.

149 might also have a chance for movement between Verk and Gardner. I'm also curious to see if Pipher challenges at 149 after Berge comes back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT