ADVERTISEMENT

Would not want to play Oregon

How so?

Washington is clearly the better team. I don't see anything that Oregon does better or different that would be tougher for Michigan than a game vs Washington presents.
Washington matches up well with Oregon
Washington struggled many many times this year against lesser opponents. Maybe they'll step up against Michigan but if I'm Michigan I want Washington.

Washington matches up well with Oregon
Washington struggled many many times this year against lesser opponents. Maybe they'll step up against Michigan but if I'm Michigan I want Washington.

Washington is just the better team.

Bo Nix would probably throw 4 INTs vs Michigan.

Reactions: dswartz
Nice try. Are you Lando’s agent. Obviously you have reading comprehension issues too. He clearly said no one wants to play Oregon and I called him on it. Apparently Washington didn’t have any problem playing and beating the mighty Ducks twice eh?
I just asked my neighbor's 9 year old kid to read Lando's post and explain it to me. She nailed it. She said that the playoff teams would rather play Washington than Oregon. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing about those teams fearing Oregon or being underdogs to them. With the benefit of her fourth grade education, she understands the importance of context in reading comprehension.

She also said that SHE would prefer to play Washington, since she likes apples.

Wouldn't it also make sense to look at how psu did the last two games played vs Pac10 teams? How did psu do last year vs Utah? UWashington?

Let’s look at how Oregon has done against good teams under Lanning. Mixed bag. I know the last coach beat OSU and that counts for a lot but still.

Washington is just the better team.

Bo Nix would probably throw 4 INTs vs Michigan.
Oregon should have won the first game without a few bad decisions but that falls on coaching. Michigan is better than both but Washington plays a game they'd prefer to play. Doesn't mean Michigan wins but Oregon isn't a team anyone wants to play. They're still a top 6 team.

Oregon should have won the first game without a few bad decisions but that falls on coaching. Michigan is better than both but Washington plays a game they'd prefer to play. Doesn't mean Michigan wins but Oregon isn't a team anyone wants to play. They're still a top 6 team.

The bad decisions count. Beating a team twice is always tough. Washington did so more convincingly the 2nd time.

What game does Washington play that Michigan likes? I don't see a discernible difference between styles. Both have great WRs, Washington seems to run downhill more than Oregon. Defenses are even similar.

I'm just looking for reasons. Not just the general talking head stance. Oregon may have boat raced some lesser teams, but Washington just wins.

If I'm Michigan, I don't want any PAC-12 opponent. Historically, they lose vs them in the post season.

Washington has one of the best if not the best Olines in CFB and arguably the best college qb since goat burrow. Their defense has done what it needed to in sloppy freezing rain vs Oregon State or the shoot outs with Oregon. Theyre not great but not LSU dookie. U probably thought Oregon was gonna roll them by 17 awl the overanalytics dorgs didn't y Lando 😅

The bad decisions count. Beating a team twice is always tough. Washington did so more convincingly the 2nd time.

What game does Washington play that Michigan likes? I don't see a discernible difference between styles. Both have great WRs, Washington seems to run downhill more than Oregon. Defenses are even similar.

I'm just looking for reasons. Not just the general talking head stance. Oregon may have boat raced some lesser teams, but Washington just wins.

If I'm Michigan, I don't want any PAC-12 opponent. Historically, they lose vs them in the post season.

Historically Michigan loses to everyone post season. Harbaugh hasn’t won a bowl game since 2015…

Reactions: bono47 and GSPMax
Washington has one of the best if not the best Olines in CFB and arguably the best college qb since goat burrow. Their defense has done what it needed to in sloppy freezing rain vs Oregon State or the shoot outs with Oregon. Theyre not great but not LSU dookie. U probably thought Oregon was gonna roll them by 17 awl the overanalytics dorgs didn't y Lando 😅
I didn't. I bet on Washington because the line was crazy. I said it would be a 1 score game that could go either way.

People have a weird obsession with hating Oregon here. Probably just because they're the example of the eye test.

The committee's job is to find the "best" 4 teams not the most deserving. Oregon is rightfully out. Had they won they would have rightfully been in.

Can we all just grab popcorn and watch the forum clown talk to himself?

People have a weird obsession with hating Oregon here. Probably just because they're the example of the eye test.

The committee's job is to find the "best" 4 teams not the most deserving. Oregon is rightfully out. Had they won they would have rightfully been in.

I don't hate Oregon. I went into the game thinking they would win. The eye test is one thing, but it has to match up all year. Not just examples that favor them. I think they get a lot of love because Lanning is off the Smart tree.

Had they won, sure they would have been in. But because they won. Not because of the eye test.

I don't hate Oregon. I went into the game thinking they would win. The eye test is one thing, but it has to match up all year. Not just examples that favor them. I think they get a lot of love because Lanning is off the Smart tree.

Had they won, sure they would have been in. But because they won. Not because of the eye test.
Lanning coaching under Smart is definitely part of it
So what's the issue here? They lost two games to #3 by a total of 6 points--why are we pretending other teams want to play them?
Not you but other people here are being beyond ridiculous. Just like the idiots thinking the SEC shouldn't have a team in the playoff if Bama beats Georgia. It's illogical due to bias.

points--why are we pretending other teams want to play them?

I'm just waiting on you to tell me why anybody would prefer Oregon over Washington. No more, no less.

he SEC shouldn't have a team in the playoff if Bama beats Georgia. It's illogical due to bias.

I'm fine with whoever wins the SEC getting into the playoff, but I'm not fine with both getting in if Bama wins. Thank goodness we go to 12 next year, but I just hate the selection process. In a year like this, there is nothing but bias and notion that separates the top 8.

I'm just waiting on you to tell me why anybody would prefer Oregon over Washington. No more, no less.

I'm fine with whoever wins the SEC getting into the playoff, but I'm not fine with both getting in if Bama wins. Thank goodness we go to 12 next year, but I just hate the selection process. In a year like this, there is nothing but bias and notion that separates the top 8.

Washington struggled with Arizona (who you think is on par with OK State in their Fifita's first real game), beat 3-9 Arizona State 15-7, couldn't stop USC (gave up 42), needed a late TD to beat 3-9 Stanford, beat Utah by just 7 who you said is overrated, beat Oregon State by just 2 who Oregon slaughtered, then barely beat Washington State. Compare that to Oregon for starters. Washington has survived all year and an elite team is going to see an opportunity against them more so than Oregon. DeBoer just owns Lanning right now and we'll see if that changes but if you look at the entire resume there's not doubt Oregon has been more impressive. Did you watch Washington at all other than the two Oregon games?

Why aren't you fine with both getting in? Do you think it's illogical to say they're both in the top 4?
I thought Penn State should have been the second team in over Washington in 2016
Nothing has changed now--the SEC and Big Ten are still the best 2 conferences and should probably make up 3/4th of the playoffs. Even this year, I see an argument potentially for Ohio State.

Washington has survived all year and an elite team is going to see an opportunity against them

Washington is currently the only guaranteed undefeated team. They win. I don't think they win 2 playoff games, but I think they are going to be a tougher out than you credit them for.

if you look at the entire resume there's not doubt Oregon has been more impressive

You said something along the lines of resume is for separating close teams. Washington is 2-0 vs Oregon. They are not close. Oregon is not more impressive. You sound just as bad as the PSU fans who scream about our offense scoring 38 ppg while ignoring we did that with some 50+ outings again turds and failed to reach 20 vs Michigan and OSU.

Washington wins. That's all that is relevant.

Why aren't you fine with both getting in? Do you think it's illogical to say they're both in the top 4?

Win and in. Lose and go home. Yeah it's illogical. If Bama is 8 today, and UGA is 1, a Bama win doesn't automatically say both are top 4 after. I would rather have them both miss the playoff than both get in, but that's strictly my own bias and no more.

Lanning has them looking like Georgia west.

Similar things were said about Utah last year -- they turned out to be a solid but not great team. Not physically comparable to a top tier B1G team. We'll find out more once Oregon and Washington start playing Big Ten defenses.

Reactions: doctornick
Washington is currently the only guaranteed undefeated team. They win. I don't think they win 2 playoff games, but I think they are going to be a tougher out than you credit them for.

You said something along the lines of resume is for separating close teams. Washington is 2-0 vs Oregon. They are not close. Oregon is not more impressive. You sound just as bad as the PSU fans who scream about our offense scoring 38 ppg while ignoring we did that with some 50+ outings again turds and failed to reach 20 vs Michigan and OSU.

Washington wins. That's all that is relevant.

Win and in. Lose and go home. Yeah it's illogical. If Bama is 8 today, and UGA is 1, a Bama win doesn't automatically say both are top 4 after. I would rather have them both miss the playoff than both get in, but that's strictly my own bias and no more.
So, you're ignoring all the close games against horrible teams like Arizona State and Stanford pretending that winning in any fashion is deemed the same when you're about to play a team?
Right--so Washington has earned the spot over Oregon. That doesn't mean Oregon isn't a bigger threat to a team like Michigan. I've not once said or implied Oregon should be in over Washington. Washington should be in--I'm just saying teams are happy it's Washington and not Oregon.

Bama wins takes them to 2 or 3 because of how the committee views Georgia. Georgia, unless they get blown out, isn't falling far.

But, see, you're admitting it's strictly based on your bias which I respect. People trying to claim they shouldn't be on merit is where I lose respect for people. The goal is "the best 4 teams" we all know that includes Georgia.

Similar things were said about Utah last year -- they turned out to be a solid but not great team. Not physically comparable to a top tier B1G team. We'll find out more once Oregon and Washington start playing Big Ten defenses.
Those teams are going to be in for a rude awakening when they actually have to play defenses that aren’t on the field just to give their offenses some rest before they go back onto the field to score again.

Reactions: dswartz and tboyer
Those teams are going to be in for a rude awakening when they actually have to play defenses that aren’t on the field just to give their offenses some rest before they go back onto the field to score again.

And I think it’s a bigger deal with that being a conference schedule where you have multiple teams during the season playing tougher defense (compared to a one off bowl game or non conference matchup). That stuff can wear you down over a season when you get punched in the mouth repeatedly.

Not saying the PAC-12 teams won’t do well but I don’t think they’ll fine it quite as easy to move the ball as they have been.

Reactions: tboyer
So, you're ignoring all the close games against horrible teams like Arizona State and Stanford pretending that winning in any fashion is deemed the same when you're about to play a team?
Right--so Washington has earned the spot over Oregon. That doesn't mean Oregon isn't a bigger threat to a team like Michigan. I've not once said or implied Oregon should be in over Washington. Washington should be in--I'm just saying teams are happy it's Washington and not Oregon.

Bama wins takes them to 2 or 3 because of how the committee views Georgia. Georgia, unless they get blown out, isn't falling far.

But, see, you're admitting it's strictly based on your bias which I respect. People trying to claim they shouldn't be on merit is where I lose respect for people. The goal is "the best 4 teams" we all know that includes Georgia.

Yes, I'm ignoring them because they keep winning. Oregon blew some teams out, but can't beat Washington. That tells me that they have no shot vs UGA and Michigan. They lay on teams who they have superior talent over (which is everybody in that conference with USC and Washington the only ones close) and come up short vs good teams.

It's a great strategy.

I still don't think a ccg loser should back into the playoff. I didn't like it when TCU did it last year. I don't think winning a game they had a month to prepare for validates the choice either.

I firmly think the SEC winner should be in and the loser should be out without bias. If UGA deserves to be in, beat Bama. End of story.

Yes, I'm ignoring them because they keep winning. Oregon blew some teams out, but can't beat Washington. That tells me that they have no shot vs UGA and Michigan. They lay on teams who they have superior talent over (which is everybody in that conference with USC and Washington the only ones close) and come up short vs good teams.

It's a great strategy.

I still don't think a ccg loser should back into the playoff. I didn't like it when TCU did it last year. I don't think winning a game they had a month to prepare for validates the choice either.

I firmly think the SEC winner should be in and the loser should be out without bias. If UGA deserves to be in, beat Bama. End of story.
You can't ignore it though. It would be like thinking the Steelers could win a Super Bowl.
Washington matches up well with Oregon. We all know how that plays out sometimes. DeBoer, for whatever reason, currently owns Lanning but they're still two 3 point games. It's not like Washington won by 40.
I don't believe for a second anyone truly thinks Michigan would rather play Oregon than Washington
And that's fine regarding the SEC. I completely disagree with is the problem with this set up. Next year things get better. 5 years from then it will be much better.

You can't ignore it though. It would be like thinking the Steelers could win a Super Bowl.
Washington matches up well with Oregon. We all know how that plays out sometimes. DeBoer, for whatever reason, currently owns Lanning but they're still two 3 point games. It's not like Washington won by 40.
I don't believe for a second anyone truly thinks Michigan would rather play Oregon than Washington
And that's fine regarding the SEC. I completely disagree with is the problem with this set up. Next year things get better. 5 years from then it will be much better.

Sure you can. Otherwise, why aren't you arguing for Oregon in the playoff? If they are the far superior team.

I don't buy it. Winning matters. Everybody is likely to get dismantled by UGA and Michigan. I have more faith in Washington playing close than Oregon.

What about Michigan? Do you think they deserve in the playoff if they lose to Iowa? Iowa. IOWA. I'd be embarrassed to put Michigan in the playoff if they lost this game. Hell, if they don't win by 30+, I'd drop em to 4th and say here's UGA again.

Yes, I think UGA beats Bama today.

Sure you can. Otherwise, why aren't you arguing for Oregon in the playoff? If they are the far superior team.

I don't buy it. Winning matters. Everybody is likely to get dismantled by UGA and Michigan. I have more faith in Washington playing close than Oregon.

What about Michigan? Do you think they deserve in the playoff if they lose to Iowa? Iowa. IOWA. I'd be embarrassed to put Michigan in the playoff if they lost this game. Hell, if they don't win by 30+, I'd drop em to 4th and say here's UGA again.

Yes, I think UGA beats Bama today.
Were not arguing "playoff worthiness" here. The discussion is who would teams rather play. Oregon or Washington. The answer is Washington as they've consistent shown, against bad teams, they can be beat.

Winning absolutely matters. I don't think either hang around Georiga but Michigan also knows Pennix well.
No, Michigan is out if they lose to Iowa. You can't lose to Iowa and get in.

Were not arguing "playoff worthiness" here. The discussion is who would teams rather play. Oregon or Washington. The answer is Washington as they've consistent shown, against bad teams, they can be beat.

Winning absolutely matters. I don't think either hang around Georiga but Michigan also knows Pennix well.
No, Michigan is out if they lose to Iowa. You can't lose to Iowa and get in.

The only possible matchups would be in playoff games. So it is definitely a playoff worthiness thing.

If you want to use this with Oregon vs FSU, I can get on board. FSU with its 2nd, maybe 3rd QB. Just not with Washington, whom Oregon lost to twice. Maybe if it were in Eugene?

You don't think Michigan would get the TCU treatment?

I don't think they should, but I don't know that I can convince myself that the committee wouldn't.

The only possible matchups would be in playoff games. So it is definitely a playoff worthiness thing.

If you want to use this with Oregon vs FSU, I can get on board. FSU with its 2nd, maybe 3rd QB. Just not with Washington, whom Oregon lost to twice. Maybe if it were in Eugene?

I don't think they should, but I don't know that I can convince myself that the committee wouldn't.
It was about who they wanted to win yesterday

Again, I'm not saying Oregon is more worthy, they're not, I'm saying they're a tougher opponent for Michigan

Michigan might get in if Georgia and Louisville win as the 4. Then it's probably Ohio State or Michigan so can they put in Ohio State....probably not so you're right. I just don't think the committee really wants them in.

TCU got the “TCU treatment” due to a lack of 1 loss teams to choose instead of them. Michigan probably won’t be so lucky.

Also Michigan would have to worry about sentiment regarding the sign stealing. I think the Committee would love to have a reason to exclude them

Reactions: lazydave841
It was about who they wanted to win yesterday

Again, I'm not saying Oregon is more worthy, they're not, I'm saying they're a tougher opponent for Michigan

Michigan might get in if Georgia and Louisville win as the 4. Then it's probably Ohio State or Michigan so can they put in Ohio State....probably not so you're right. I just don't think the committee really wants them in.

Yesterday, I can agree with you on.

Today, I don't think Oregon is tougher. I think losing to Washington again deflates that sentiment.

Also Michigan would have to worry about sentiment regarding the sign stealing. I think the Committee would love to have a reason to exclude them

Sadly, I'd almost forgotten about the sign stealing.

Yesterday, I can agree with you on.

Today, I don't think Oregon is tougher. I think losing to Washington again deflates that sentiment.

Sadly, I'd almost forgotten about the sign stealing.
But it's about matchup as well. Oregon, even against Michigan, is going to put up around 30. Michigan would much rather play a 17-10 type of game which can happen against Washington.

I think the sign stealing stuff is basically said sadly but predictably. People don't truly care.

• Haha
Why don't you summarize your debate with Lando in one paragraph? If you do, then the outcome will be one of the following:

1. You will demonstrate that Lando made a logical argument (whether or not you agree with him).

2. You will misrepresent what Lando said, thus demonstrating your own lack of reading comprehension.
Bawoomph!!!

But it's about matchup as well. Oregon, even against Michigan, is going to put up around 30. Michigan would much rather play a 17-10 type of game which can happen against Washington.

I think the sign stealing stuff is basically said sadly but predictably. People don't truly care.

I understand that viewpoint, but what does it say about the Oregon defense? I guess we are both just looking for the stat that applies to our own view.

I think it's dead because the NCAA doesn't have the ability to shut them down without 90 days notice. It's tough to scream about it 50 days later. Non-Michigan fans care, but not enough to keep harping. So far, it's worked out for them. They used the advantage to win, recruit better off winning, and have built off it.

I understand that viewpoint, but what does it say about the Oregon defense? I guess we are both just looking for the stat that applies to our own view.

I think it's dead because the NCAA doesn't have the ability to shut them down without 90 days notice. It's tough to scream about it 50 days later. Non-Michigan fans care, but not enough to keep harping. So far, it's worked out for them. They used the advantage to win, recruit better off winning, and have built off it.
I don't think Oregon's defense is very good. Washington's is better. But I think Michigan doesn't want to play a high scoring game. Trust me, I'm fine with someone believing that Washington is the worse matchup but the belief that it's insane to say "would not want to play Oregon" (which I didn't start) doesn't make any sense.

100% agree regarding Michigan

The truth is no one wants to play Georgia.

Reactions: lazydave841

Kalen DeBoer is a better coach than Dan Lanning. You play to win the game. I think he can win any kind of game. He is excellent at doing what needs to be done during the game to win no matter what went wrong earlier. Fall behind and he finds a way to regain the lead. James Franklin is not nearly as good at in-game adjustments. Once things go bad for him it usually gets worse until the game is pretty much out of reach.

Kalen DeBoer is a better coach than Dan Lanning. You play to win the game. I think he can win any kind of game. He is excellent at doing what needs to be done during the game to win no matter what went wrong earlier. Fall behind and he finds a way to regain the lead. James Franklin is not nearly as good at in-game adjustments. Once things go bad for him it usually gets worse until the game is pretty much out of reach.
I agree with this but you still not overlook issues against 3-9 teams.

I just asked my neighbor's 9 year old kid to read Lando's post and explain it to me. She nailed it. She said that the playoff teams would rather play Washington than Oregon. Nothing more, nothing less. Nothing about those teams fearing Oregon or being underdogs to them. With the benefit of her fourth grade education, she understands the importance of context in reading comprehension.

She also said that SHE would prefer to play Washington, since she likes apples.
Good for her. Why the hell would playoff teams prefer to play Washington which beat mighty Oregon twice? By the way, what big game has Nix ever won?

Good for her. Why the hell would playoff teams prefer to play Washington which beat mighty Oregon twice? By the way, what big game has Nix ever won?
No, no, no. You said this was about reading comprehension, remember? Whether or not Lando is right is beside the point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT