ADVERTISEMENT

Word on the street is that the Panthers are taking Levis #1 overall

Coaches don't always make the correct evaluation. Who knows if Levis would have been better or was better on practice. The point is where they're at now.

And if Levis magically got better when he left what does that indicate?
No it isn't. The point is who was the best qb in college....and that was Cliff.
You play to win the next game. Not to read the tea leaves about the NFL draft.

Do you need a list of other QBs that fell out of the first?
Does Joey Porter suck too?
This thread is even better reading it after the 1st round ended.
'Levis #1' and 'would be surprised if he slides past 4,' to spinning Levis not being selected in the 1st round as "fell out of the first." That's comical. Guys graded as late first rounders might "fall out of the first." Guys being hyped as top 5 picks, not hearing their name on Thursday night means none of the NFL teams agreed with the hype and none think strongly that WL is the next Josh Allen. The NFL draft is littered with examples of teams that reached and convinced themselves that QBs with marginal playing results would be franchise QBs. Not a single one did that with WL.

Time will tell. I wish WL the best.

What I learned from this thread is that no one really knows and anyone who spends more than zero seconds reading mock draft articles and reading tea leaves is wasting their time. It would be interesting to go back and compare every mock draft article and see how close any of them got. I suspect its about as accurate as this years NCAA brackets.

Last edited:
This thread is even better reading it after the 1st round ended.
'Levis #1' and 'would be surprised if he slides past 4,' to spinning Levis not being selected in the 1st round as "fell out of the first." That's comical. Guys graded as late first rounders might "fall out of the first." Guys being hyped as top 5 picks, not hearing their name on Thursday night means none of the NFL teams agreed with the hype and none think strongly that WL is the next Josh Allen. The NFL draft is littered with examples of teams that reached and convinced themselves that QBs with marginal playing results would be franchise QBs. Not a single one did that with WL.

Time will tell. I wish WL the best.

What I learned from this thread is that no one really knows and anyone who spends more than zero seconds reading mock draft articles and reading tea leaves is wasting their time. It would be interesting to go back and compare every mock draft article and see how close any of them got. I suspect its about as accurate as this years NCAA brackets.
it all stems from Mel Kiper. The show was, basically, the Will Levis show. Kiper kept calling him one of the best QBs in the draft. Others disagreed. Embarrassing for WL to sit there with his beautiful GF and mom all night and not get drafted.

Shocking that Porter Jr wasn't drafted either.

it all stems from Mel Kiper. The show was, basically, the Will Levis show. Kiper kept calling him one of the best QBs in the draft. Others disagreed. Embarrassing for WL to sit there with his beautiful GF and mom all night and not get drafted.

Shocking that Porter Jr wasn't drafted either.
I also got a little angry when Kiper said last night that Levis got beat out by Clifford but turned out to be the much better qb. While I'm not saying that Clifford was an All America, he was the qb for two PSU teams that went 11-2 and won Cotton and Rose Bowls while playing in the toughest division in college football. Moreover, if he hadn't gotten injured in the Iowa game in 2021, he probably would've led PSU to another 10 or 11 win season and a New Year's 6 Bowl at the least. Would Levis had been able to do that? I don't know, but what I do know is that Clifford did do it.

I also got a little angry when Kiper said last night that Levis got beat out by Clifford but turned out to be the much better qb. While I'm not saying that Clifford was an All America, he was the qb for two PSU teams that went 11-2 and won Cotton and Rose Bowls while playing in the toughest division in college football. Moreover, if he hadn't gotten injured in the Iowa game in 2021, he probably would've led PSU to another 10 or 11 win season and a New Year's 6 Bowl at the least. Would Levis had been able to do that? I don't know, but what I do know is that Clifford did do it.
Agree. honestly, I get what CJF did. SC had the experience and if SC hadn't gotten hurt against Iowa, that season may have turned out quite differently. With WL leaving, we had zero competent QBs to come in. So I agree totally. WL made a smart move, no way around that.

I did find it interesting that they blamed his falling in the draft on the injury to his big toe. The word hit the street that he's going to need surgery, which he disputes. But there is a lot of gamesmanship done by the agents to get their client drafted higher. WL lost over $5m by falling into the second round. For example, had Tampa (19) drafted WL at 19, he'd have gotten a $15.5m contract. if Tampa drafts him at 50, he'll get a $7.2m

That wasn't the discussion. The discussion was the talent they had around him. It doesn't matter if Levis was better at Kentucky or Clifford was better at Penn State. It's who would have been better at Penn State.

You refuse to consider that it may have been Levis as your post clearly indicates which means your bias is preventing you from having any kind of rational conversation.

Why do you think Clifford isn't being talked about in the top 10? Why do you think a guy that is couldn't have potentially done better?
I don’t give a royal rat’s you know what about someone’s alleged pro potential. The only thing that I care about is who is the best choice for PSU. You are the classic the best player on the team is the back up QB guy. I don’t think Levis had the potential to be better than Clifford for PSU for the reasons I have cited several times: (1) he failed to beat out Clifford despite being there 3 years and (2) despite all his “pro” potential he didn’t play better at Kentucky than Clifford did at PSU. I never claimed Clifford has the physical tools to play in the NFL Levis does but there is a helluva lot more to playing QB in the NFL than being able to throw a football through a wall. I don’t have a bias but you sure seem to have an agenda. By the way, let me know when Levis gets drafted.

I don’t give a royal rat’s you know what about someone’s alleged pro potential. The only thing that I care about is who is the best choice for PSU. You are the classic the best player on the team is the back up QB guy. I don’t think Levis had the potential to be better than Clifford for PSU for the reasons I have cited several times: (1) he failed to beat out Clifford despite being there 3 years and (2) despite all his “pro” potential he didn’t play better at Kentucky than Clifford did at PSU. I never claimed Clifford has the physical tools to play in the NFL Levis does but there is a helluva lot more to playing QB in the NFL than being able to throw a football through a wall. I don’t have a bias but you sure seem to have an agenda. By the way, let me know when Levis gets drafted.
See--the last comment is where you lose all credibility
It would be the same as someone criticizing Porter for falling
There's definitely bias on your end. What agenda? I think Franklin made the right choice but we'll never know if he did or didn't.

So, Levis falling is meaningful but Porter falling isn't???

From my perspective, Levis is getting closer to where he should be drafted. I'm no expert, but I think he has a slightly better NFL career than Hack did. I think he ends up taking snaps, but he is not a future Josh Allen clone. His pocket awareness is awful and he's got Brett Farve INTs capability. I wouldn't draft him, period, in any round, but that's just me. He's still a better value than Richardson though, who I think gets multiple people fired at Indy.

JPJ dropping is actually more concerning for me but I guess teams valued 40 times slightly more in 1st round picks (that was the primary difference in him and those who got drafted, but I didn't study everyone throughly). While it would have been great to have a CB drafted in the 1st, somebody is going to get a great value picking him in the 2nd.

Interesting read.

Pretty good write up. He was inconsistent which is huge. But didn’t know they changed offensive coordinator last season. With all the talent from the previous year that left, it was a challenging year.

Somewhere buried in the dozen or so threads about Levis I said I was surprised he was being talked about as a first round pick. He is slow in the pocket, doesn’t scramble well….in the modern NFL with all the pass rushing schemes that’s pretty important.

Like him as as a person…..at least what we can see from afar…..so I wish him well. Even a HOF career if possible.

Besides his talent being overrated pre-draft, McShay also said that his cocky attitude turned off many NFL teams

Pretty good write up. He was inconsistent which is huge. But didn’t know they changed offensive coordinator last season. With all the talent from the previous year that left, it was a challenging year.

Somewhere buried in the dozen or so threads about Levis I said I was surprised he was being talked about as a first round pick. He is slow in the pocket, doesn’t scramble well….in the modern NFL with all the pass rushing schemes that’s pretty important.

Like him as as a person…..at least what we can see from afar…..so I wish him well. Even a HOF career if possible.

Gotta be a little humbling.
A team picking you in the first round, means they expect you to become their starter.
Not going in the first round means no team expects you to be a starter in the NFL.
That's not the end of his story (See Jalen Hurts & Tom Brady) but WL will walk into a training camp in a much different position than he thought 24 hours ago.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
See--the last comment is where you lose all credibility
It would be the same as someone criticizing Porter for falling
There's definitely bias on your end. What agenda? I think Franklin made the right choice but we'll never know if he did or didn't.
Was Porter ever projected to be a top 4 pick and #1 by some people? I didn’t think so. There’s falling and then there’s FALLING.

Was Porter ever projected to be a top 4 pick and #1 by some people? I didn’t think so. There’s falling and then there’s FALLING.
Only 1 QB that people thought Levis would go ahead of for sure did--and even that wasn't a lock. Porter's already had Forbes and Banks pass him. That's actual falling.

Porter was as high as 8-10

Only 1 QB that people thought Levis would go ahead of for sure did--and even that wasn't a lock. Porter's already had Forbes and Banks pass him. That's actual falling.

They've both fell considerably.

One was mentioned 100x more than the other though.

They've both fell considerably.

One was mentioned 100x more than the other though.
Because QBs are always the focus. 4 guys in the green room fell out of the first and they only showed Levis because the casual fan doesn't care about the others.

Going from 1-4 to the 33rd pick is a bigger fall than going from 8-10 to the 32 pick. Take the L and move on.

Going from 1-4 to the 33rd pick is a bigger fall than going from 8-10 to the 32 pick. Take the L and move on.
It's basically the same--there's no L here. Both landed in great spots. Now we'll see how they produce. Again, your dislike of Levis, for no reason, is odd. You want to pretend this means he's a bust but so then was Favre and Bress--try again

It's basically the same--there's no L here. Both landed in great spots. Now we'll see how they produce. Again, your dislike of Levis, for no reason, is odd. You want to pretend this means he's a bust but so then was Favre and Bress--try again
This has nothing to do with my dislike of Levis, it has to do with my opinion he’s not a great QB and certainly not a first round (or early second round) QB. I loved McSorley but knew he wasn’t a great QB from an NFL prospect. I also get tired of so called Penn State fans acting like we let the next Joe Burrow get away. This doesn’t mean he’s a bust, his play in the NFL will likely mean he’s a bust. I watched almost every game he played for UK and I don’t see him being successful in the NFL because nothing he did at UK points to success at the NFL level.

This has nothing to do with my dislike of Levis, it has to do with my opinion he’s not a great QB and certainly not a first round (or early second round) QB. I loved McSorley but knew he wasn’t a great QB from an NFL prospect. I also get tired of so called Penn State fans acting like we let the next Joe Burrow get away. This doesn’t mean he’s a bust, his play in the NFL will likely mean he’s a bust. I watched almost every game he played for UK and I don’t see him being successful in the NFL because nothing he did at UK points to success at the NFL level.
There we go--what it's actually about--you being unwilling to accept he's better than Clifford.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT