ADVERTISEMENT

Word on the street is that the Panthers are taking Levis #1 overall

I am seeing anywhere from 2nd to 31st. Most have him going in the top five.

That’s quite interesting. I thought they’d take Vontae Mack.
If so, they probably think that he can do for them what Josh Allen does for the Bills. I don't see it, but I'm not a football "expert" like the Panthers' staff is.

Levis could slide but I think if he gets past 4 it would be surprising. Not that he's a top 4 player in the draft but because he has upside and about a dozen teams need QBs

Levis could slide but I think if he gets past 4 it would be surprising. Not that he's a top 4 player in the draft but because he has upside and about a dozen teams need QBs
As a Steelers' fan, the higher he goes the better, because the Steelers don't need a qb and him going ahead of where they pick would make it more likely that the player or players whom they want will be there.

As a Steelers' fan, the higher he goes the better, because the Steelers don't need a qb and him going ahead of where they pick would make it more likely that the player or players whom they want will be there.
I like that perspective... but as a fan of a team that needs a qb.... i'm nervous...

I mean ideally 5 QBs, Bijan Robinson and a bunch of WRs go in the top 16...tons of edge rushers too.

There are never any sure fire picks at QB position. I like Levis but hard to believe he's the top pick or even first rounder. Hope he meets first round expectations, but put me in doubt it category. Not even 1 very good pro QB comes out each year. That is why there are many 35 - 40 year old QBs. The teams cannot afford to let a good one retire because there are not any equally effective replacements. Teams go decades wasting all their picks on failures or trading all their picks for guys who should be retired and only give them a couple of good years. Some teams in the NFL have gone decades without an even decent QB. And, when and if they get one, they have no other players or picks because they traded them away for their last 10 QB picks in the first round that failed miserably.

There are never any sure fire picks at QB position. I like Levis but hard to believe he's the top pick or even first rounder. Hope he meets first round expectations, but put me in doubt it category. Not even 1 very good pro QB comes out each year. That is why there are many 35 - 40 year old QBs. The teams cannot afford to let a good one retire because there are not any equally effective replacements. Teams go decades wasting all their picks on failures or trading all their picks for guys who should be retired and only give them a couple of good years. Some teams in the NFL have gone decades without an even decent QB. And, when and if they get one, they have no other players or picks because they traded them away for their last 10 QB picks in the first round that failed miserably.
I don't think it's hard to believe he's likely going in the first for the exact reason you stated. It's tough to find a QB and Levis looks the part...especially in a pro day setting. If you pass on him maybe you pass on the next Josh Allen. That's harder to deal with than drafting someone that ends up being a bust. Peyton really likes Levis which, right or wrong, helps his stock

I don't think it's hard to believe he's likely going in the first for the exact reason you stated. It's tough to find a QB and Levis looks the part...especially in a pro day setting. If you pass on him maybe you pass on the next Josh Allen. That's harder to deal with than drafting someone that ends up being a bust. Peyton really likes Levis which, right or wrong, helps his stock
And if you pick him, the odds are just as good that you draft the next Tebow or the kid in New Orleans that the Saints still think can play QB. Good luck.

And if you pick him, the odds are just as good that you draft the next Tebow or the kid in New Orleans that the Saints still think can play QB. Good luck.
I agree. It's more likely every time you pick a QB that they're a bust than a star but you still have to gamble if you ever want to win a title. Tom Brady is the exception not the rule.

Levis didn't have a tenth of the talent around him at Kentucky. Not sure there's a valid comparison.

I'm fine with staying with Clifford but pretending that Clifford was undoubtedly the right choice is false.
For Penn State Clifford was absolutely the better choice. Not even close

Reactions: marshall23
I like Levis and hope he does well but this feels like Ryan Leaf (without the gaudy stats) all over again...

Reactions: LeatherHelmets
For Penn State Clifford was absolutely the better choice. Not even close
It's an opinion. No one can say for sure. I'm not disagreeing with your opinion but we don't know if Levis would have been better or worse. It's all speculation.

I like Levis and hope he does well but this feels like Ryan Leaf (without the gaudy stats) all over again...
Leaf is a bad comparison IMO
No one is debating taking Will Levis over Peyton Manning in this draft. Levis is simply a QB in a flawed group that has potential. Leaf was supposed to be a lock. No one think Levis or any QB in this class is that guy. Teams are just desperate. I mean, Levis isn't even Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield type bust if he fails. Everyone is going in knowing that everyone one of these guys is risky. Young is the safest but his size also makes him risky.

Leaf is a bad comparison IMO
No one is debating taking Will Levis over Peyton Manning in this draft. Levis is simply a QB in a flawed group that has potential. Leaf was supposed to be a lock. No one think Levis or any QB in this class is that guy. Teams are just desperate. I mean, Levis isn't even Sam Darnold or Baker Mayfield type bust if he fails. Everyone is going in knowing that everyone one of these guys is risky. Young is the safest but his size also makes him risky.

All of this year's QBs were considered "sure things" compared to last year's class. Everybody was waiting until this year. Now this year is here and none of these guys are sure things. Trevor Lawrence looked like dog crap as a rookie, but he was playing for a dog crap team.

Wow. If they do indeed pick Levis at #1, I'm going to start applying for NFL GM jobs. Not only is he not Darnold or Baker, he's not even a Zach Wilson. Looks like Steelers made the right call drafting Pickett last year.

All of this year's QBs were considered "sure things" compared to last year's class. Everybody was waiting until this year. Now this year is here and none of these guys are sure things. Trevor Lawrence looked like dog crap as a rookie, but he was playing for a dog crap team.
I won't lie--I expected Young and Stroud to be clear cut better than Pickett. I didn't expect Hooker, RIchardson and Levis to be getting that kind of hype though.

I do wonder where Pickett would go in this class. I'm not convinced he wouldn't have been 6th but he does seem like the safest.

Other than Pickett and somehow Purdy--last year's class wasn't impressive at all year 1 but you're right about Lawrence.

Reactions: lazydave841
yeah....companies, football franchises included, want to try and apply science to a problem. Basically, they want to measure prospects via an Excel spreadsheet. The problem is that many attributes cannot be measured with analytical tools. And that is why you have players like Bradey and Unites become HoFers when nobody expected them to. And, as you say, it isn't just the QB. There are ten other players on the field. They aren't useless interchangeable parts. But the media still wants to promote a game by saying "Mahomes versus Pickett" when we all know if they don't get the pass blocking it won't be a contest.

As I recall, Tebow took his team to the playoffs and beat the Steelers in the first round, then was dropped like a hot potato. Many teams would take that result, and might possibly give a 2nd year for those results.

Levis didn't have a tenth of the talent around him at Kentucky. Not sure there's a valid comparison.

I'm fine with staying with Clifford but pretending that Clifford was undoubtedly the right choice is false.
Levis had a ton of talent around him in his first year at KY, including a much better OLine. He also had WanDale Robinson, who was as good as anyone PSU had. PSU had more depth, but don’t sell UK short on the talent they had two years ago. Last year wasn’t much talent and we see what Levis did, very little.

Levis had a ton of talent around him in his first year at KY, including a much better OLine. He also had WanDale Robinson, who was as good as anyone PSU had. PSU had more depth, but don’t sell UK short on the talent they had two years ago. Last year wasn’t much talent and we see what Levis did, very little.
As you would expect anyone in the SEC not to do much without enough talent around them...right?

Was WanDale as good as Dotson?

Reactions: KYHoopsBuzz
Levis also had a 4.0 coming out of high school with options to go to harvard, yale and Princeton (IIRC). So while being "cut" he's also got a very good head on his shoulders.

Oh stop with the excuses for Levis. Your claim that he didn’t have a 10th of the talent around him that Clifford had at PSU is beyond’ idiotic. I watched several Kentucky games early last year to watch him given all the Kiper hype. Most of Levi’s’ passes were at or just beyond the LOS which made no sense given his “gun”. He finally completed a couple nice passes up the field but made two critical turnovers late in a winnable game—strip sack and fumble when running to get a first down. Levis had 3 years at PSU to beat out Clifford and simply didn’t. So given that Clifford outplayed Levis after he left, I think Franklin made the right call without question. Playing QB at any level involves more than having a gun for an arm but the so called draft experts keep praising Levis despite the fact that I haven’t seen much of that other stuff from him. I genuinely hope I am wrong and Levis turns out to be the next Josh Allen but I sure as hell wouldn’t be risking my job as an NFL GM by taking Levis in the first round.

Reactions: mn78psu83
As I recall, Tebow took his team to the playoffs and beat the Steelers in the first round, then was dropped like a hot potato. Many teams would take that result, and might possibly give a 2nd year for those results.
That would be the teams that are content with mediocrity I suppose.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT